Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AS profs

AS profs

The statements about a new AS with a second attack are probably familiar to most ppl. There are some ongoing discussions about AS already, but what are FC's ideas about the different profs? What profs do you think should have (and use) AS? Differences between TLs'?

Thinking end game, the profs with innate (lack of better word) As weaps are imo Agent, MP and Trader (not counting pistol profs since I think most ppl agree on craphander and troa'ler being band aid fixes to flawed mechanics and alternatives). Could probably add MA to the list due to the bow support.

Your thoughts?
    .:: Proud Member of Obsidian Order RK1 ::.

fcs view is that theoreticly "all" profs can use AS, just some are noticably better with less (or no) sacrifices.

my list:
    agent: no brainer
    MP/MA: bow support (iffy)
    trader: shotguns with aimshot? also, will it be worth it for them with the incomming 3 sec nerf?
    soldier: if there is RE support this might happen
    Last edited by lostlife; Dec 11th, 2009 at 18:22:46.

My thoughts on the subject:
    Agents, MA's and Adventurers have Aimed Shot support in their nano toolset as well as their symbiants.

Traders and MP's may have Aimed shot weapons but I personally consider them to be more of Band-aid fixes than an indication that they are professions meant to be using Aimed Shot, especially when considering the Aimed Shot skill templates those professions have, I know Traders have been using Aimed shot for a very long time, but that doesn't stop it from being a Band Aid fix that was never properly dealt with.

The professions with the best Aimed Shot skill templates on the other hand are Agents, Soldiers and Adventurers. Anyone else could use it but they'd have to make sacrifices to make it viable.

From the weapons perspective; Agents, Soldiers, Adventurers, Traders, MP's and MA's have Aimed shot available to them, as well as anyone who wants to use pistols.

Overall the two professions which have overall Aimed shot support throughout their toolset would seem to be Agents and Adventurers. Which would also indicate that the Aimed Shot pistol is less of a Band-aid fix, and more something that was intended but never implemented for whatever reason.

Just some things to consider.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

As stated by others, everyone can potentially use any weapon.

But if your asking who I think should have access to the unlockable secondary AS, would have to be Agents and Traders

Agents are the no brainer and traders have had aimed shot as part of their weapon tool set since I can remember (I beleive it was intentional from the start of the game) even if they dont have any nano support for it and is about the only other profession I've seen constantly have AS weapons for the 8 years.

MPs and MA's do have valid AS uses, but I wouldn't say their specialized in it, and infact would rather see the bow special attacks revamped rather then give the bow users a generic secondary AS.

Soldiers can use most weapons well but their not skilled in aimed shots like agents and such just the same way enforcers can use sneak attack but dont get given backstab.

And adventurers and other pistol users, well the debate that pistols with scopes on are a bit strange is common here and to be honest the fact that they have regular AS is more then enough for most.
    Last edited by Xenotric; Dec 11th, 2009 at 18:03:08.

To be honest, only agents and soldiers should be given an opportunity to use AS, with agents excelling at it. MAs maybe, but just maybe.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Agents will get it, Adventurers will get it. Traders, soldiers, MAs will probly use a less effective version of it, MP's being the least effective actually users in the future I would think. Hopefully other profs can live without it by means of new tools that perform better for them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    Agents will get it, Adventurers will get it. Traders, soldiers, MAs will probly use a less effective version of it, MP's being the least effective actually users in the future I would think. Hopefully other profs can live without it by means of new tools that perform better for them though.
    traders/agents and soldiers will get it most likely

adventurers wont there is what one pistol with as in it, why should they get it?

i think enforcers should get it too, i mean there is no official statement anywhere saying that enfs have to be melee.. and wheres that enf only rifle?

I'd like to see only agents using AS, as a standard attack, with traders being able to use a less effective version of it with fast recharge, and MA's being able to use aimed shot with HUGE multipliers, but very slow attack recharge, and definitly not usuable as a hotswap.

I like MA's with bow, but, if you consider what MA's are, they are melee fighters with some bow proficiency, it should take them 6 seconds to get off a huge critical hit off bow, and be completely interuptible during that time.

Agents should be able to get off a big critical on aimed shot in 3 seconds, being a highly skilled sniper

Traders should have a way less hard hitting aimed shot, as they use shotgun, with say buckshot. The aimed shot takes 1 second to execute, but is severely damage limited.

MP's should have to do dmg with no aimed shot, and pets and nukes, they weren't really ever supposed to be using AS.

Quote Originally Posted by tweeeek View Post
    traders/agents and soldiers will get it most likely

adventurers wont there is what one pistol with as in it, why should they get it?
    Agents and adventurers are the only professions with AS support. MA's have a small amount on a buff I believe but Agents are obvious for AS, and Adventurers not only have a small AS buff themselves but have been given AS in a perkline and an AS buff in that perkline. In addition to a pistol with Aimed Shot, FC has clearly been aiming to make Aimed Shot part of the ranged adventurer toolset.

Soldiers will be able to use rifles but there are no Aimed Shot boosts for them that I have seen. Traders fall under the debuffer/offensive caster category, and they may have Aimed Shot on their weapons but there has never been any signs of FC attempting to move traders towards a Sniper style of play.

Just because a professions uses AS does not mean it will be a good choice for it in the future. There are only two professions with any signs of having a sniper alternative.

That's my list.

Genele (right?) said that Advys will be using AS since it fits more in line with the profession. I can only expect they are now considered an "AS prof".
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

if advy's get any more support for AS, they will lose coon or acrobat. I hope they do anyway.

I mean, you can't have offence like Mr. T and Defence like Chuck Norris when the rest of the other profs have some combination of my little pony and the cabbage patch kids.

think about it... if advy get any more support for AS, it's like why would anyone ever roll an agent again? an advy is just an agent with coon and acrobat.

agents are currently crapping themselves over the possibility of ***1*** perk defense, MAYBE being available, not Careful in battle, or defensive stance, not acrobat, Just SD: Advy don't perk SD, cuz advy got coon and dodge! (spoken like Mr. T)

Poor agents. Nerf advy's.
    Last edited by McKnuckleSamwich; Dec 12th, 2009 at 15:13:06.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    MP's should have to do dmg with no aimed shot, and pets and nukes, they weren't really ever supposed to be using AS.
    and every other support prof or other that uses AS hotswap weren't suppose to either. They use AS because of the lack of tools for themselves to kill people.

Just because AS is being nerfed doesn't mean it should stop being a viable option for any prof like your post about MPs indicates. This game needs more diversity not more cookie cutter.

AS was not used because players lacked the tools to kill others (agents, advy, and fixers obviously being the exception). AS is used because it was a no skill tool that was over-effective against everyone but Engineers. I'm suprised there wasn't an "ignores spec-blockers" exception on AS to really make it fun.

think about it... if advy get any more support for AS, it's like why would anyone ever roll an agent again? an advy is just an agent with coon and acrobat.
    Just, no....you should really learn more about these profs and see that they are incredibly distinct, and sharing AS will not make them anything alike other than they are ranged, and share AS.
    Last edited by Gatester; Dec 12th, 2009 at 21:30:03.

if advy's get any more support for AS, they will lose coon or acrobat. I hope they do anyway.

Poor agents. Nerf advy's.
    For the record, "most" Advys wanted FA support...NOT the AS bandaid.

edit: removed my own flames...I dont need more infractions <3
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Stabby View Post
    i think enforcers should get it too, i mean there is no official statement anywhere saying that enfs have to be melee.. and wheres that enf only rifle?
    It remind me caterwaul enf squads in NW
    i R not spik engrish

AS was not used because players lacked the tools to kill others (agents, advy, and fixers obviously being the exception). AS is used because it was a no skill tool that was over-effective against everyone but Engineers. I'm suprised there wasn't an "ignores spec-blockers" exception on AS to really make it fun.
    Don't be tarring every AS user with the same brush of "people use AS to faceplant keyboard for mighty alpha" crap, a good deal of AS users have crowbarred it into their setup and heavily gimped other parts of their more natural toolset to have -some- effective killing power in PvP, or to compensate for a lack of improvement to perk damage as HP has scaled ever increasingly.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

AS doesn't have a check because it is supposed to be a Sniper shot, an attack where the sniper is hiding and has the time to aim the shot (hence the name) to a vital part of the body of your opponent, without your opponent having the time to react. That's why it is very dependent on critical modifiers and also why it should stay as the special of the only sniper profession in AO, which is the Agent profession

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    Don't be tarring every AS user with the same brush of "people use AS to faceplant keyboard for mighty alpha" crap, a good deal of AS users have crowbarred it into their setup and heavily gimped other parts of their more natural toolset to have -some- effective killing power in PvP, or to compensate for a lack of improvement to perk damage as HP has scaled ever increasingly.
    Maybe you could list a profession besides Agent and Ranged Adventurer that need AS to perform in pvp? I'll run down the profs myself:

Bureaucrat: Doesn't need it but alternatives actually take some work with stun procs gone.
    Doctor: Doesn't need it.
    Enforcer: Doesn't need it.
    Engineer: Doesn't need it.
    Fixer: Needs it, until Full Auto replaces it.
    Keeper: Doesn't need it.
    Martial artist: Doesn't need it, even if it is very effective for them they can kill anyone without it.
    Meta-physicist: Needs it, offensively there are no other really viable choices I know of, and no proper CC tools to maximize pet effectiveness.
    Nano-technician: Doesn't need it.
    Shade: Doesn't need it.
    Soldier: Needs it, afaik until some defenses are balanced out several profs need AS to be killed.
    Trader: Doesn't need it, unless completely shutting down most profs is not enough.

So asside from Adventurer and Agent, the only profs that should currently need AS to perform in pvp are Fixer, MP, and Soldier. After the balancing, Fixer, MP, and Soldiers will either not need it at all (but likely maintain the option of using it) or will have a much better alternative.

Agents obviously..

Ranged advs were either going to be FA users or AS users, and FC (means) clearly stated they are AS users.

I would support Traders as well, I could really care less if "Aimed Shot" on a "Shotgun" is realistic, it's clearly been part of their tool set for a long time.

MPs/MAs - I'd hope Soldier gets full AS support before they do, with emphasis on MPs. Just because you have a weapon with AS on it doesn't make you an AS profession.Some bows have AS, MAs and MPs have a high bow skill - that's pretty much as far as it goes. IMO Soldiers are the most justified hotswapping profession, much more than MAs, and while neither soldier or MA has a "main" 95% equipped weapon that uses AS, soldiers have a multitude of perks and low-cost IP skills for a large array or weapon types. I always viewed soldier as less of a AR weapon class and more of a "throw a barrage of different weapons at you" class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast