Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - September 2nd, 2011 - Engine Screenshots - Tir

Quote Originally Posted by protozo View Post
    Those graphics would have looked good 2-3 years ago when the engine was supposed to come out. Now it looks old and outdated. Your best bet is to start over with a new engine that is more modern.
    The engine is still quite modern, it's the resources that you're talking about and those are what takes time to develop. But hey, IT illiteracy is common.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

nice screenshots from live test server.

I hope, HDR lights will be optional (i really not love it in the games)
    The Clan Messiah statement
    You hit Nirvelle with nanobots for 7110365 points of radiation damage.
    Alternity: I never initiated a serious dialog

"... who are you, then?"
    "I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good" (c) Goethe

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\| ||\____
    |.............Vodka-Vodka..........| ||','''|'''''''\____,
    |_______..... _________________| ||__|'__|_____||<
    '''''(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''**|(@)(@)******| (@)*

...man, still hoping that the interior of Truth Tower is updated in some way. *hopes some more!*
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    New engine screenshots this week with the new resources made for Tir mostly in place. I have to keep shooing the rest of the team away from Parsed's desk...this is probably a good sign.
    What kind of computers are you using? My monitors are not compatible with boxes :O

¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸,ø¤º°`¦°º¤ø,¸ tradalotrox's Avatar
    Nice set of screenshots
    Tiger Claw | Critical Mass
    Atroxical 220.30!69
    Nanrade0.,..219.,.27''''-.-

I'll upgrade this week to Friday With Very Little Meaning. Not like the engine is gonna make the Q1 deadline. Oh wait ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopecz View Post
    I'll upgrade this week to Friday With Very Little Meaning. Not like the engine is gonna make the Q1 deadline. Oh wait ...
    Stop being a jerk. We all know it's Q1 2021. For the 20 year anniversary!

Stop working on Tir, it sucks, we don't go there except to be somewhere that no one else goes!

See? Saved you a chunk of time, so the engine should now be out sooner

PS. You can give the same treatment to Newland.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Ewwwie both newland and tir have the hugest roaches :s
    220/30 Doctor(sistadoc)
    220/30 Adventurer(starbooty)
    200/30 Agent(sissysnipe)
    -------------------------------
    Director of Shadow Company

It's not often I out my voice in forums, but I'm actually gonna go against the flow on this one. AO looked stunning when it was released, and the [remains of the] playerbase will withouth doubt appreciates a new engine. What dissapoints me is that all the work you [FC] put into this still only makes the game seem like a 2005 game even thus we are in 2011, nearing 2012... Mabe it would've been better to stop beating the dead horse and rather make AO2 with the resources you're using on AO now, a sequel with updated graphics, models and gameplay?

There I said it, now go on flame me if you like, but I know for sure that a 2005-style game won't cut it for my limited gaming time.
    Perky - 220 dmg freak crat
    Bitcrusher - 220 MP
    Shadowofbit - 220 Shade - It's best from behind!!!
    Advocrusher - 200 Lovechild
    Wdfourty - levling engie
    Docfoo - 165 Doc twink - Retired
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by perky View Post
    It's not often I out my voice in forums, but I'm actually gonna go against the flow on this one. AO looked stunning when it was released, and the [remains of the] playerbase will withouth doubt appreciates a new engine. What dissapoints me is that all the work you [FC] put into this still only makes the game seem like a 2005 game even thus we are in 2011, nearing 2012... Mabe it would've been better to stop beating the dead horse and rather make AO2 with the resources you're using on AO now, a sequel with updated graphics, models and gameplay?

There I said it, now go on flame me if you like, but I know for sure that a 2005-style game won't cut it for my limited gaming time.

Yeah you know that would amke sense, if it were not for the fact that AOs development team fit into a matchbox with room to spare. AO2 would take 10 years to develop.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

stupidest request ever is for a remake. EQ from EQ2 is a remake. Funcom will modernize the game to casual gamers if it was redone as their is more profit. Some of us don't want to play SWTOR AO edition lol.

i really don't understand the gfx hate... with that engine the game will be among the better looking games on the market again.
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    i really don't understand the gfx hate... with that engine the game will be among the better looking games on the market again.

No.
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

The game will run on more PCs and not crash on good ones. It will make the most difference in that department. While visuals will look decent, instead of 10 yers old.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Ill agree with Masta. The graphics will draw more ppl, but its the gameplay/pc compatability that will make them stay.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    No.
    give me any example of a MMO setting the gfx quality so much higher and that aint falling back to cartoony gfx (those make me puke).
    Freedom or death!

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    give me any example of a MMO setting the gfx quality so much higher and that aint falling back to cartoony gfx (those make me puke).
    Simple you confuse graphics, high polygon models, effects with art direction. AO is in no way superior in it's gfx department. We do however have better art direction than 99% of the games out there

i'm pretty sure i was just talking about how it looks.

(and cartoony gfx allows certain mmo's to cut highly into their poly count because people are more willing to accept big triangles on their shoulders...)
    Freedom or death!

The most important aspect of the new engine to me is the lighting/shadows. Nothing else (graphically speaking, not talking design here) has as much impact on what a game feels like visually than good lighting and shadows.

Warm colored light early in the morning and colder bluish light in the evening/night and individual lightsources and the sun casting shadows and such. This to me is 90% of what the new engine offers. The last 10% being better foliage (grass/trees) and higher polygon characters.

Now we need an ingame radio. A radio that is located inside RK missions (on desks/tables), that people also can buy from a shop and put in their apartments and so on. The music on this radio will be music made/recorded by players and sent to FC. FC will put the music in the game but only on radios, so only people near a radio can hear it. What music is played depends on where the radio is and is chosen by FC.

So some players that are good with electronica and such can make music that can be heard in main omni city locations or in bars or clubs. People that play classical guitar or piano or whatever can have their music be heard on radios in apartments and such. Radios can be turned on and off and the volume depends on how close to the radio you are standing. Song-library will run on a loop.

The music can be original created work or can be covers of various well known songs. Froobs have access to this content as well so its free and no one is making any money on anything in hopes that this wont attract lawsuits. Anything sent to FC that is original created work, automatically grants FC ownership of that work so once its sent, no one except FC can claim ownership of it

I know I'm talking partially out of my arse here because something like this will probably never be implemented. I just think it's fun to think about and talk about

I know we got some talented musicians here and it would be fun to have some fun with that and add some musical variation to the game since all ingame music is so old by now. Most people I know play AO with the sound turned off, which is a shame, yet perfectly understandable.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Sep 3rd, 2011 at 13:15:41.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast