Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - April 23rd, 2010 - Incoming

Quote Originally Posted by mettagirl View Post
    Edit: Oh, to those whining about the apparantly unneeded profs. Advice to you is MAKE yourself needed to other teams, or quit bitching & make your own teams. My first 220 was an MP back before they were any good to anyone & I still managed to get her levelled & equipped. ...
    A standard thing we've heard for some time is that a week or two after new content (from patches) comes out about everyone has the stuff and you can't get teams. The problem being there doesn't tend to be enough of a flow of new chars leveling along so we then need to keep leaning on people that already did it.

Now once upon a time stories are nice and all but AO used to have more people playing than it does now. So saying you got a group together way back when doesn't mean much now. People keep leaving for one reason or another with one of them being how much of a pain it is to try to get people together to do group content. This includes those that do try to get things together themselves rather than sitting there bitching that they aren't getting picked up off of LFT.

You can only bug people so much to help with this and that rather than doing what they planed to when they logged on. As you lose more people you keep having to rely on some of the same more often. Starting alt accounts so people can bring some of their own help and not have to bug others or at least as much is common enough now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    If it's all bosses, then it brings up the issue of what I see as a "scorched earth" policy on the part of FC. There's some obvious exploits that they are aiming at closing. Fair enough. But why not just close those exploits, rather than extending it to every boss that warps in game. ...
    True enough. I was reminded of the no zoning while in a fight change a ways back. Sil was the community manager then and swore it was done on purpose to keep people from zoning during a fight, healing then zoning back to continue the fight. Later after tons of complaints a dev came along and said "oh no, it's a bug" then they removed it. With things like mobs that agg even when grey and a long ways off or mob groups plus dynas near mission entrances it was a real pain so a lot of people complained. I see this going the same way.

Master of T&S in LE missions with that huge horde of bomb balls it spawns will mean instant death as each one can do massive amounts of damage able to insta kill most chars, who the heck could survive 10+ of them? The Spirit Goddess warps and has mean adds plus can be found in a solo zone. The list goes on from there.

The big problem as I see it and have said before is in relation to how we get our loot in the various zones and such. Being low random chances of the same items others want too people do all they can to keep group sizes as low as they can. Then as people can sell loot rights to those not in the zone or team at the time people bid on items they don't need themselves but instead want to sell. If they want to get us to bring in more people when tackling these zones changing things in regards to reward gains is what they need to address, not by adding a root on warp to bosses. I'd rather team with a small group of people I know than need a large group of people I don't know which may not be much help and be a general irritant. It is suppose to be a game we're playing for fun.

This whole "you need to have /played 50 days of real time to get to know how to play your toon" gotta stop now. You gotta be quite stupid to need lot more then 10 min to "learn" how to do any pvm repetitive task (read : leveling). Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Djantro View Post
    This whole "you need to have /played 50 days of real time to get to know how to play your toon" gotta stop now. You gotta be quite stupid to need lot more then 10 min to "learn" how to do any pvm repetitive task (read : leveling). Seriously.
    you're out of your mind.

I meet "vets" people who have been "playing" cough, for years, and don't even know about aspects of their toolset.

guess why? Cuz they were powerleveled.

guess how many engies at ely hecks have blinds? 1/5
    guess how many enforcers think they can tank ely hecks on RK1? 1/4
    guess how many enforcers have genius 2 perked? 0/4
    guess how many people think that you need to have an OST or pocket to level?

ALL OF THEM!

You don't "learn" how to do any pvm repetitive task (read: leveling) from 10 minutes of omg we need a pocket! .. ok, my orgmate will pocket for us.

You learn WHAT YOUR ROLE IS, you learn what nano's you need.
    You learn what damage mitigation is.
    You learn how to do more damage while avoiding agg.
    you learn how to heal your tank, and provide support.
    you learn how to mezz adds, and provide aura support.
    you learn how to debuff, which mobs are mezzed, how to control pets, when to re-equip, how to get armour, how to get symbs, how to make plasma, why touse first aid, where to get reflects, which weapons to use, why not to go full agg, why not to use AS at the start of a fight, why to perk genius 2, why to IP psychic/stam, why not to pull with a pet...

Do I really need to keep going? Did it take you 10 minutes to learn all that?

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    you're out of your mind.

I meet "vets" people who have been "playing" cough, for years, and don't even know about aspects of their toolset.

ALL OF THEM!

You don't "learn" how to do any pvm repetitive task (read: leveling) from 10 minutes of omg we need a pocket! .. ok, my orgmate will pocket for us.

you learn how to debuff, which mobs are mezzed, how to control pets, when to re-equip, how to get armour, how to get symbs, how to make plasma, why touse first aid, where to get reflects, which weapons to use, why not to go full agg, why not to use AS at the start of a fight, why to perk genius 2, why to IP psychic/stam, why not to pull with a pet...

Im gonna bump this. (Ever seen a 219 soldier without team reflects? And had NO idea they existed?)

Also, I had a thought. Is the Collector instance going to have a lockout?
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

you're out of your mind.
    Or perhaps in a more different one. Some people just learn from information itself rather then experience.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    teaches me what? that sometimes lag causes you to fall off the end of the shadowlands, making you end up in some RK zone that might have mobs a tad bit higher for your char?

or does this teach me that players should not go explore new zones, otherwise they're have their ass %@*&^ outa no where by some boss mob, and thus causing more n00bs to cry about theres nothing for them to do in the game?

and its been forever since i've been in SAV. so i had no clue about this particular boss being out in the open, covieniently in my flight path to getting to a way out from where SL dropped me.

not to mention, i've been playing since before FC removed penalties for dying. so i still prefer to never die, if at all possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otinsainpas View Post
    teaches him to look around more when wandering in that specific area..
    hags were added in patch 15.5.4 thats summer 2004. you cant say you didnt know about them.
    what i said is no different what characters are already doing. They avoid fights if they have doubts about winning or losing. im sure you dont want every dynaboss removed in game to encourage players to explore the areas. lvl 60 vs 100+ dyna.. ofcourse you should avoid if you feel you cant kill it. Hags are no different or are they? dynas are not on default map either so you need to look out for them if you feel insecure.

you got owned by hag because you thought you are pvm-god in RK. nothing more.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

you're out of your mind.

ALL OF THEM!

Bump until i cant bump it no more.
    Jadetheshade 220/30/70 Opi Shade
    Typhonis 220/24 Nm NT
    Galorien 220 Opi Fix
    Copyrighted 170 Opi Engi (someone petitioned Nintendo)

you're out of your mind.

ALL OF THEM!

I often meet "veterans" like that so bump
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    Erm, dieing is not horrible in AO, getting pwnt by a 250 boss mob is nothing out of the ordinary if you fall/wander on to the wrong place, its a learning experience and getting pwnt at times is part of the learning..
    Maybe for you but for some players, we like to be 'perfect'. And for some professions - read keepers, [strike]death[/strike] buffing is a chore.
    blah

you're out of your mind.

ALL OF THEM!

Since he probably STILL hasn't learned all that...

Bump for bringing an end to Generation Hecks.

you're out of your mind.

ALL OF THEM!

Bumpity bump

you're out of your mind.

ALL OF THEM!

I'm soooooo glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

It is too common now to see a pocket with a crat, 2 NTs, 2 alts of the pocket & a random person paying for the remaining team spot.

On the rare occasion, you will find an Ely heck kill team, only to have the team's "tank" be a 150 enforcer (20+ levels higher than you) who gets mad at you for "taking their aggro" when they are standing there with ql80-100 carb & a Stygian Desolator (I verified it was not at least the Abyssal Desecrator) & a FULL nano pool, PLUS you have not perked or done any specials.

I miss "steam roller" teams... 6 people ranging from levels 110-129 with average to twinked equipment who could form up an ely heck team that killed everything in East Fang before the horror at the broken bridge repopped. Back when mentioning a "pocket" in a heck team would get you laughed at.
    Last edited by tazalanche; Apr 27th, 2010 at 09:20:25.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post

and its been forever since i've been in SAV. so i had no clue about this particular boss being out in the open, covieniently in my flight path to getting to a way out from where SL dropped me.
    Just a point of interest. There are 2 Snake dynas close together in NE Central Artery Valley. I believe one is 230ish and the other 250ish. If a lower toon stumbles across them unaware, it could get messy.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

you're out of your mind.

ALL OF THEM!

I'll also bump this one... not to derail yet another FWM, but this is critical to the game..

People don't play this game anymore, they grind it. And by people, I mean those who have been around forever and are basically jaded to oblivion. I'm trying to imagine people who have just started this game now, and looking at what a lot of us "Vets" are doing and mirroring it because it's the standard way of doing things.

In my experience, many of the newcomers are not learning ANYTHING. They join an org, and almost everyone tells them how to "cheat" their way through to 220, providing the cash and OSTs along the way. This actually makes me sad, because mostly it's in good spirits; orgmates just want to help, but because of the awkward mechanics this game has, we end up cheating the new people out of learning or having fun. The decent community is literally a blessing and a curse.

I have no idea how to solve the problem; it's pretty clear there's no one action that can be taken to fix it. But, IMO, taking away the ability to OST and focusing on a bit more single-player-only challenges would be a good start.
    **Proud Squad Commander of Nightmares End**

Aeirilys - 220 Doc RK2
    Spiritofsnow - 150 Sol RK2
    Oniaikido - 98 Leveling Up MA RK2

[ Rebel for Life ]~[ Clan 'til Death ]

This was just a name fix, as noted in the big "Annoying small things everyone knows about yet have not been fixed" thread. Was one of the few things on the list I could fix easily without having to commit to long hours of pain and suffering. ><
    Gee, thanks can you please put this in the patch notes so I can update the list properly post-patch?

Edit: Odd, I didn't find that on the list. At all.
    Last edited by eroz_c; Apr 27th, 2010 at 11:08:44.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Edit: Odd, I didn't find that on the list. At all.
    Yeah, looking over it now I can't find it in there... I know it was *somewhere* on the forums, though. Eh - It was one of those "it's 1am and why am I still at the office" fixes, so I'm not surprised I can't remember where it was. XD
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

ALL OF THEM!
    Sneak Attack!
    Please, give change form. Want main be neutral. Red vs Blue are boring now.
    220 veteran player, no more complain for level alt. Do something and stop whine! (Take cry people friend with you.)
    Means: the new client to run FASTER on old hardware _________________ Faction champions.

you're out of your mind.

ALL OF THEM!

I think you've taken that guy's statement about 10 minutes in the wrong context. He didn't sound like he was advocating outside tanking (to me) as much as stating the obvious.. that many people read guides and learn from those that came before them such that most pvm encounters are relatively easy to master. Maybe 10 minutes was a bit of an exaggeration, but on my first doc I didnt learn a lot from killing the same mobs over and over again.. even the very funny "Guide to teaming with docs" made it clear on how idiotic my teammates could/would be. I knew what to expect.. so the whole leveling process was mostly (upgrade ncu/imps/armor/nanos >> level some and explore >> rinse and repeat). Maybe this game is more of a challenge for some people and they need to do the same mindless thing over and over again. I can't speak from that perspective.

The only thing that I've needed to repeat, when it comes to pvm activity, are raids and such.. sometimes it has taken me a few attempts or raids to get everything down... but that's completely different from leveling.

All of that being said.. I've never been your average player and I doubt most of the people that post on these forums about these topics are today's average player I think the guy you were responding to was talking about himself and your statements are aimed more at the super-noobs we've been seeing lately. (Folks that were OST'd and powerleveled started at Nascence).
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 27th, 2010 at 14:45:27.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by mettagirl View Post
    We did take it down tonight, first guys to I believe And yes, Calms (from any of the profs that are able) seem to be an excellent thing, as always

Edit: Oh, to those whining about the apparantly unneeded profs. Advice to you is MAKE yourself needed to other teams, or quit bitching & make your own teams. My first 220 was an MP back before they were any good to anyone & I still managed to get her levelled & equipped. Often by being the one to create the team or just by being friendly with people. That's coming from a very small org then & not what most would consider a big Org by any means. You wanna sit on lft instead of making things happen yourself? Fine, just don't go bitching that you get {Venachar: Profanity removed.} done.
    You are not playing anymore don't you. Go to Adonis and Pen, and LFT there. When you will give up waiting for days, you will try your luck in Inferno (if you're 160+), and good luck there to make anyone feeling a level 160+ MP is needed.

you're out of your mind.

ALL OF THEM!

I agree with all you are saying, and dunno if it's related to warp & root. If it is, I don't think people will stop PLing using outside tanks/kite teams etc. because of that. And if they don't take the time to go "solo" or in a "proper team" they will be useless endgame anyway.

What warp & root will do is prevent people to equip end-game items on toons without spending a considerable and boring time of repetitive instance. If a place like Pande requires months to farm, people will not make the effort of leveling yet another toon, they will stick to what they have, and leave the game when completely bored. Everyone loses when someone leaves the game.

I mean, people, look at Albtraum.

There's a NPC there that will clear the instance for you so you can go do the bosses directly. Hello? I want that in iPande if Warp& root has to stay.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast