((Thats what Im being told. ))
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Gun finally reaches up and turns off his helmet comms. All the panicked yelping was getting on his nerves. Sighing, he starts back towards his station apartment. He hadn't heard this much hollering on the comms since the last time the Aliens staged a surprised raid on Omni Ent. Seemed a lone subject was running around, shooting stuff up. Pol didnt have a good description, but Gun had a funny feeling about this. It sounded....familier.
    Gun nodded curtly to an Omni Tac unit, running down the halls of the Station, the Team Leader flipping a fast salute as they pass at a trot. "Yup", Gun thinks, "thats about right. But they wont find her. If she made it this far, she got away clean."
    Walking up to the door of their apt, Gun slides the access card in, and enters as the door slides open. Catching sight of the red haired figure, curled up cat like in front of the fire place, he frowns. "Having fun, are we?"
    Because we said so.

((Hey guys. With so little going on ingame, I'm gonna do something different. I'm going to be writing stories about Gun and Co, earlier in his career. Hopefully, this will keep me going until things pick back up. (or I get desperate and pay for Ciys acct for a yr...((NOT!!)). So, I'll give it a shot...cyas))
    Because we said so.

Flashback 1.0

*Flashback*

The student, later in life to be known as "Gunfytr", stood at attention at the Headmasters desk. At a curt, "at ease", he relaxes and finally meets his Headmasters gaze.

'Yes, top of your class, a fine, fine leader. You have great potential, son. Thats why I wished to have a word with you. You will be graduating soon, and will recive an Officers Commission. It will be up to you and your generation to put right that which has plagued us these many years.'

Frowning, the student dares to ask, 'What plague, Sir? Our Empire is at peace, now.'

'For NOW it is!', The head master replies, slapping the desk, 'But soon our armies will reign triumphant!'

Still frowning, the student asks again, 'But who is the enemy, Sir?"

Standing up, the Headmaster begins pacing, 'The East! Those fools have slighted us for the last time. Failing to follow the One True Path! They must be taught the Way. By fire if need be.'

Hesitantly, the student asks, 'But how do you know this is to come?'

'I have a friend in the High Command. The Campaign starts this spring.' He walks to the window, gazing out. He catches sight of the kiosks the various mercenary units here at set up. 'Look at those vultures. Not a speck of honor among them. Fighting only for pay. What is 'pay' when you are treading the True Path, spreading the Way among the whole world?' He turns to look at his student. 'You and your classmates will be on the forefront of our great future! It will be up to you. Crush our enemies, and the entire planet will Follow the Way'

The student nods. 'May I be dismissed, Sir?"

'Go', The Headmaster sits behind his desk, 'Do not speak of this, understand?'

'Sir, I understand clearly', the student answers firmly. With that, he turns on his heel and marches out the door.

((@moderation: Yeah, I know, just a bit political. But I needed a moral dillemma for Gun to make this work, and name a bigger moral dillemma than being ordered to commit religious persecution.))
    Because we said so.

Flashback 1.1

The student walks quickly thru the halls of the old Academy. Pictures line the halls, Allumni, units and flags. As he walks he ponders this new information. A new campaign against the East? Doable, he guessed. With the right planning, but why? His world had been at peace for many years. Attending the Academy was a family tradtion, along with a fine military education. His Empires Military, while untested, was incredibly well trained. Students here spent their summer vacation field training with active units.

He shook his head. He was not adverse to the idea of War, but the reason? Because the East didnt think like them? That wasnt good enough. No, he didnt mind being a sacrifice, but he had to at least agree with their reasons.

He looked up, startled. So deep in thought, he hadn't paid attention to where he was going. Finding himself in the square, he looks around. A banner across the way caught his attention.

Pathfinders: When you absolutely, positively have to have something blown up overnight.

Quirking a smile, he thought, 'Crude, but catchy'. Starring at the banner, he feels something 'click', deep inside of him. He marches over to the kiosk and stares at the older Trooper stationed there. 'Sir, a moment of your time.'

Beaming a smile, the Trooper replies, 'Yes, Young Master, what may I do for you?' Quickly scanning the young man in front of him, he takes in the Academy uniform, student rank and accomplishments displayed.

'I would like to sign up.'

'Yes Sir! I need you to fill out a few forms.' He glances up towards the Academy walls. 'It would prolly be best if we did this quickly, Young Master. You'll be wanting to get off-planet soonest.'

The student sighed, 'Yes, I agree that would prolly be best.'

'And how would you like to be known?'

The student goes blank momentarily, then from nowhere, a nickname a range instructor had called him.

'Call me Gunfytr.'
    Because we said so.

Flashback 2.0

Blackness. All around is blackness.

Gradually he became aware of a ringing in his head. This slowly morphed into explosions, shouting and the general sounds of destruction and mayhem. His vision coming back, he raises his head from the rubble and shakes it. He wonders muzzily where hes at, and why his brothers and cousins were making so much noise. The shouting comes closer.

'Grab the newbie and lets go!'

He feels hands grab him and drag him across the ground. His mind clearing, he fights to get his feet under him. Shaking brick dust from his eyes, he finds two of his teammates staring at him.

'Gunfytr, can you run? The Orbital Bombardment is off by two whole grids!. We gotta go!!'

Nodding dumbly, he falls into line, sprinting towards the extraction point. Looking around as he runs, he is horrified at what he sees. Whole hab blocks were being leveled by the OB. Here, a once beautiful park ablaze, there, a crater where a school once was. But why? Granted this was a rebel city, but was this necessary?

Gun and his team had been tasked with holding one of the broadcast stations in the city. Part of a citywide "takeover". Easy enough, slip in under cover of darkness and when the citizens wake up, all the Goverment buildings, banks, Police stations and broadcast centers were now under the control of Sol Banking. No muss, no fuss, and limited bloodshed. Easy peasy.

Then they got word that Sol Banking wished to make an "example" to the population of this world. The Pathfinders and other Merc units had been told that the intended target was a forest to the west of the city. Plainly visible to most of the population, but little to no threat to life. A good example of the ICC Battlestations capabilities. Yeah, sure. Until they MISSED by two whole grid squares, and gutted the heart of the city. And it just kept coming.

Frantically running through the destruction, the team makes its way to where, hopefully, their lander is waiting. Breaking out of cover, the see the PF lander just coming in. Running up the ramp, they throw themselves onto the deck of the craft. A PF Captain grabbing the last one on board and throwing him the rest of the way. Jets screaming, the lander takes off.

Panting, Gun lays where he had fallen. He stares up as the Captain repeats into his comms, "Any Pathfinder unit! This is Lander 117, pickup is available, give me your location!" His response is only static. With a frustrated shriek, he turns and punches the side of the lander. Switching channels, the Captain comms again, "This is Bronco 5 Actual, I'm still missing 4 teams in this goat rodeo." He nods to an unseen voice. "I have Troopers who need medical attention before anything else." He frowns, "No, Sir. I'm going to drop off these Troops and go back out." Shaking his head, he protests, "Sir, I have men out there! I'm not going to leave them...." The voice buzzes insistantly. Reluctantly, the Captain looks out the still open ramp and blanches. Gun follows his gaze, and sees that what isnt covered by smoke, is slowly being glassed over by the Battlestation. Defeated, the Captain slumps onto a bench lining the lander. "Yes Sir, we are returning."
    Because we said so.

Flashback 2.1

The lander grounds, the rear hatch dropping open. The Team hurries down the ramp, staring around them at the devastation. Gonzo, the team leader, murmurs into the comms, "We are here primarily for our people, but do what you can for the civies." Nodding in unison, the team spreads out, waving handheld senors in the air.

Theirs was a recovery mission. The "friendly fire" incident had been an expensive one. The Pathfinders were missing several personel. Some of the other Merc units had been even less lucky. Some of the smaller outfits had just ceased to exist, with no survivors at all. Gun was having a tough time believing this was accidental. While getting checked out on the Pathfinder support ship, he had been briefed by some of the older Troopers. Firing an Orbital Strike was not as simple as pulling the trigger on a pistol. Mutliple redundancy on targeting and safety locks were supposed to prevent this from happening.

The Official statment from Sol Banking had basically been, "Well, THATS not where we told them to fire." ICC's long winded statment had boiled down to, "Oops". And there was nowhere else to turn to. ICC was supposed to be THE overwatch entity. THEY set up the rules for the huge corporations like Sol Banking.

Regardless, Gun mused, it seemed to work. The entire planet had immediately fallen in line with Sol Bankings wishes, offering not even token resistance. At the cost of one city and its inhabitants, Sol Banking had gained a world.

Getting his head back in the game, Gunfytr moved towards a large pile of rubble. Seeing the red leaking from under a collapsed wall, he waves his lifeform scanner near it. All PFs had a tracker chip in thier armor that could be detected at short ranges. No lifeforms, no chips. Sighing, he picks up a teddy bear from the ground and stares at it a moment. Carefully, he sets it on top of the fallen wall and moves on. A blip on the screen catches his eye, and he moves closer.

"Hey Sarge! Got a chip."
    "LF? Or just the chip?"
    ".....Just the chip."
    "Collect it and move on."

The bitterness in Gonzos voice spurs Gun into action. He frees a short pry bar from his harness and begins moving stone and timbers aside. In a short time, he stands, staring at the crushed, lifeless body of a comrade. Swallowing hard, he reaches down and removes the chip from the armor. Gonzo is suddenly standing beside Gun, peering down at the fallen PF. "Ahhh, dammit, Racer." He leans down, patting the crushed form on the chest plate. Gun hears him whisper, "See you on the other side, brother."

An excited voice on comms snaps both their heads around, "Sarge! Got some civvie survivors here!"
    "Whats their condition?"
    "As long as they get some help, soonest, they should make it."
    "Standby."

Gun hears a click as his team leader switches channels.
    'Bronco 2/5 to Control. Request medivac for civilians casualties at my location. Sending ping now." Recieving confirmation, he nods, then fixes Gunfytr with a stare. Removing his helmet, he motions for Gun to do the same, taking them both off the net momentarily. "Gun, this contract was a crap way to bust your cherry, but you are doing well. Just keep it up, I'm gonna need you. We're not done here, yet." Gun forces his face into a rictus like smile, and replies, "Thanks Boss, but I'm starting to think I should have stayed in school."
    Last edited by Gunfytr; Nov 25th, 2011 at 01:56:46.
    Because we said so.

Present day.

Ciy leaned back in her accel chair and sighs. Gunfytr had missed her departure, and the shuttle was on its way into orbit. Suddenly a commotion near the boarding hatch caught her attention. She stares as the crew chief undogs the hatch, and leans out, grabbing a jetbacked figure by his harness and dragging him in. She gasps as a smoking Gunfytr calmly walks down the isle to her. He grinned down at her, "Did you really think I'd let you leave without a goodbye?" Pulling her to her feet, he wraps her in a hug. "You get your wonderlust taken care of. I'll be waiting." he pulled back and stared into her green eyes, "Always."

"Getting close, Major", calls the crew chief.

Gun gives her another squeeze and winks, "Gotta go, babe. Be careful, I'll see you when you get back." He looks around the shuttle at the grinning faces, "Kick ass, boys!" A roar answers him, and with another smile for Ciy, walks back to the hatch. Flipping down his shades, he dives out of the shuttle.
    Last edited by Gunfytr; Dec 5th, 2011 at 22:16:43.
    Because we said so.

Flashback 2.2

The shuttle lands inside the support ship. Troopers quietly file off and head for thier quarters. Gunfytr sat in the dayroom, staring at his blood crusted gloves. Slowly he begins to remove his armor, placing it in the cleanbot. Still in his body suit, he racks his weapons. Sinking onto a couch, he stares off into space. Gonzo, walking passed in the passageway, glances in and sees him. He watches Gun for a moment, and sighs. Walking into the dayroom he addresses Gun. "How you doin?"

Taking a moment to focus, Gun shakes his head, "Not sure, Boss, I didnt think it would be like this."

Gonzo sits on the arm of the couch, "It usually isn't. This was a mess."

Gun shakes his head, "But all those people...You know that wasn't an accident. Is this what we do? I mean..."

Gonzo leans in to him, "This wasn't us. But this is how "some" Companies work. Generally, we don't work for "those" companies, but sometimes they slip one in on us." He shakes his head, "What WE do, if hard action is needed, is operate against other Professionals. WE don't fight civvies. Not use for it, none at all. But...we don't forget, either. It'll be a cold day in hell before Sol gets another Pathfinder working for them."

Nodding slowly, Gun says, "So, where to from here, Boss?"

"We are enroute to HQ. Need to refit and rearm. Not to mention a little down time. We have to make good on our personnel loses, also." He sighs, "We lost a load of good people on this trip." He slaps Gunfytr on the back, "After we get a break, I got my eye on a contract. Exploring a newly settled planet. You ever met a farm girl?", he laughed, "Ask her to show you the hayloft. Trust me."

Giving him a weak grin, Gun nods. More new worlds? Ok, we'll see.....
    Because we said so.

((Yeah, Ciy, I know I promised you a wall of txt, but I got tied up. I'll get Flashback 3.0 started tonight, i promise :P ))
    Because we said so.

Flashback 3.0

Gunfytr paused in his sweep to gaze around him. Lush, rolling hills as far as the eye could see. For just a moment, he could almost imagine this was home. Yes, a beautiful world. Almost untouched by man. Newly settled by a union of nations from an almost depleted planet to provide agriculture for the homeworld. In a few seaons, this planet will be feeding billions. He unsealed his helmet and breathed a lungfull of clean air. Yeah, he could learn to like this place.

"C'mon, Rook! I wanna get this done today!"

Guiltily, he reseals his helm and keeps moving. "Yes, dear. Just scoping the area."

Trixie, his partner for the sweep, snorts, "Uh huh, sure." Then her tone softens, "It is awful pretty here, though."

Gun silently nods agreement. The pair were mapping the sector, looking for suitable grazing and crop areas. But as beautiful as the planet was, it was almost as dangerous. No sentient species found, but there was a plethora of predators. Some of them large, and all of them cunning. In particular, a dog sized beast that was utterly fearless and ran in packs of up to 20 members. These packs have been resonsible for most of the loses to stock animals, not to mention a few settlers. Thus, the reason the Pathfinders were onplanet.

Reaching the end of his sweep, Gun places a electronic marker. Getting extensive land navigation in the Academy, he never imagined then that he would put it to use on a world far, far away from his own.

He comms his partner, "Done here, Trix. Where you at?"

"Done and done. Meet at the rally and we will head in. Did good, Rookie. You didnt get lost once, I may even let you buy me a drink tonight."

Laughing, Gun shakes his head. "On my way..."
    Last edited by Gunfytr; Dec 8th, 2011 at 05:51:09.
    Because we said so.

Flashback 3.1

Gun spun the wheel of the little rover, trying to miss the majority of holes and gulleys in the dirt road. Being at the bottom of seniority means he got a bunch of the "scut" jobs. Like taking chow out to teams in the field. Still, he mused, its not bad, at least no one is dropping bombs on his head at the moment.

Coming around a bend in the road, he catches sight of one of the large ranches in the area. Raising beef cattle was to be a major part of this worlds purpose. Yes, beef cattle, just like the ones over there....running? Gunfytr didnt know anything about farms, or cattle, but even he knew that several hundred cattle running in the same direction was bad. They looked as if they might just....yep, push right through that fence. But what would cause them to...what was the word...stampede?

Gun catches sight of several dark forms running in amongst the cattle. Wargs! This could be bad. He gunned the rover ((no pun intended)) up to near its max speed. It looked like the stampede was going to miss the ranch house at least. Then movement near the house catches his eye. Three children run from the barn, trying to make the cover of the house. It also catches the eyes of several wargs, who break off from the herd and follow them.

Gun keys his comms, "Mayday mayday! Warg attack. Sending ping, need backup."

Gonzo replies, "We are enroute, Gun! Stay out of it till we get there."

"Cant, Boss. They aren't just after the herd, they are hitting the house. Theres kids in there!"

".....Allright. Do what you can and watch your butt."

With that, Gun slides into the yard, cutting off the wargs from the main house. Pulling a shotgun from its scabbard, Gun climbs out of the rover and turns to confront the pack. He grimly stares back into a semi circle of glowing eyes and teeth.
    Last edited by Gunfytr; Dec 7th, 2011 at 09:50:17.
    Because we said so.

Flashback 3.2

The pack closes in. Rapidly working the action, Gun dispatches four of the beasts. Using the butt of the shotgun, he parrys one leaping at his throat, bashing its head as it flys by. Catching one coming at his side, he sticks the shotgun in its mouth. Kicking aside the headless corpse, he loses the shotty as two wargs hit him from either side. Falling to one knee, he pulls out his pistol and fighting knife, preparing to sell his life at a cost. The remainder swarm him.

The next few seconds are a blur of teeth and steel. One warg had him by the leg, dragging him from the cover of the rover. Another on his chest, trying to work its way under his helmet. The rest of the pack biting and clawing at his armor. Grabbing the warg on his chest by the lower jaw, Gun drives his blade into it head. Pulling the knife free, another latches onto his arm, biting through the armor. Suddenly he hears a TWANG!, and the beast biting his arm goes limp. Pulling his arm free, Gunfytr backhands a warg worrying at his shoulderpad. Another TWANG! and another warg spins into the dirt, biting at a feathered shaft stiking out its hindquarters. Gun hears the sounds of speeders in the distance, and as one, the pack looks back, gauging the oncoming odds. At a growl form one of the beasts, the pack runs off, again in pursuit of the herd.

Shaking, Gun regains his feet. The rest of his team pulls up, lobbing shots at the retreating pack. Gonzo gets off his speeder and surveys Gun. Taking in his torn, tattered armor, blood streaming onto the ground, then counting the warg bodies lying at his feet.

Grinning, he says, "I'd say you won this one, Gun."

Wearily, Gunfytr pulls off his helmet, "You guys got here just in time. They would have had me if you hadn't shot those two off me."

"Heh, wasn't us, mate", chuckles Gonzo.

Surprised, Gun stares at him. His team leader nods over his shoulder, and Gun turns, seeing a small female walking towards them from the house.
    Last edited by Gunfytr; Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:35:55.
    Because we said so.

Flashback 3.3

Gun leans against the rover, watching the woman walk towards them. Small and slim, her dark brown hair hung well passed her shoulders. He took in the compound bow over her shoulder and looked down at the shaft in the warg lying at his feet. Looking back up, he is arrested by a pair of dancing green eyes in an elfin face. The owner of these eyes looks him up and down, taking in his injuries. Gun gives her a crooked grin. "It seems I owe you my thanks."

"Its more the other way around. Are you ok?"

Wincing as he straightened up, Gun replies, "I'll be fine. Is everyone in the house allright?"

"Thanks to you. It was just me and the kids. Our parents had gone to town. I couldn't have held them off alone."

Gun shrugged, "Its what we do, ma'am."

"Ma'am? Thats my mother. You can call me Josie. Now come up to the house so I can get you patched up."

'Yes ma-, I mean, Josie."

Amid grins from his team, Gun slowly walks towards the house. As he walks, he hears whispers from his teammates. Something about a hayloft...
    Last edited by Gunfytr; Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:37:30.
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr sits in his Station apartment, shifting thru paperwork. His comms beep, alerting him of an incoming call.

< Yes?
    < Hey, Boss.
    < Whats up, Law?
    < Are you alone?
    < Yes, why?
    < Sending you a link....I'm sorry, Gun.

His heart sinking, Gun quickly pulls up the link on his comp. Reading the article, he goes back and rereads it slower. Leaning forward he rests his head in his hands.
    Only the silent, empty apartment is witness to the tears falling onto the paperwork strewn about the desk.

((I havent given up on you guys, yet. Just taking an extended break. When, (if), the vaporware engine/rebalance comes out, I'll be more active. Oh, and I am in touch with Ciy. Hopefully she'll be back too.))
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr slowly walked thru the shuttleport. Shifting the heavy equipment bag to his other shoulder, he goes thru the details one more time. Beersoldier recieved a brevet promotion to Captain, with Lawdog as his senior NCO. Law will be staying in his apartment. As hard as those things were to get, no sense in losing it. As quiet as things were on RK now, they should be fine.

Pathfinder HQ was a bit unhappy, but in the end, they understood. They assured Gun that he would be welcome if he ever decided to come back.

Gun paused at the bottom of the loading ramp. Looking around, he took a deep breath, relishing the still exotic smell of Rubi Ka. He would miss this place. In all the many years here, he never tired of it. He gazed higher, eyes probing the sky. She was out there, somewhere. He would find her.

Hitching the bag higher on his shoulder, he strides up the ramp.

"Hang on Ciy, I'm coming."

((This will be my last post on here. Maybe Gunfytr and I will be back someday, but thats not up to me. However, I would like to take this opportunity to thank those that introduced /RP to me. Those that showed me a different spin on a game that I grew to love. Thanks, guys. I hope I gave back as much as I gained.))
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr monitored the instruments of the small scout. He would be exiting warp soon, and it was smart to be in the pilots seat when that happened. One by one, he was exploring all the systems that Ciys ship had passed thru.
    A tone caught his attention. As the ship left warp, he quickly scanned the immediate area. Finding no threats in the area, he settled back into the accel chair. As big as the missing ship was, a solar system was infinitely bigger. Searching was time consuming.
    *Ding*
    Turning his attention to Comms, he saw that he had received an Email marked "Urgent". It was from Law...hmmm. Opening it and quickly reading, he barely suppressed a shout. Her ship had been found! Rescue ops were still underway. Spinning to the Nav console, he quickly entered coords. Glancing at the overhead, he murmured, "Please gods, I dont ask for much..."
    Slapping the Go button, the ship blurs into the warp.
    Because we said so.

Locking into orbit around the star, Gunfytr eyeballs the transport. Yep, looked like something had taken bites out of it. Aliens will do that if you get caught unawares. Rescue and medical ships swarmed around the hulk haphazardly. Spying an access hatch away from the main effort, Gun dodges small ships and attaches to the door seal. Carrying his helmet and a pack, he hurries to the hatch. Entering the transport he finds a comp and quickly hacks into ship info. Checking the location of the life pod assigned to Ciyanid against a current map of the ship, he blanches to discover that portion of the ship missing, blown away. Gritting his teeth, he nods. Ok, we do it the hard way. Digging in his pack, he finds a lifeform detector. This had been modified to find the chip all Pathfinders wore in their armor. Long ago, Gun had set Ciys to be identifiable. If he knew Ciy, her first instinct would have been to don her armor.

Gun set the detector for its widest possible range. At that distance, it wouldn't give an exact location, but it would show direction. Holding it up, Gun slowly turns, checking all directions.
    *PING*
    Gun closes his eyes, momentarily dizzy with hope and relief. Shaking his head, he starts in the direction indicated. Getting closer, he narrows the settings, getting a better read. He finally stops in front of a compartment hatch. Hitting the door switch gives no response. Sighing, he goes back into his pack for a prybar. Forcing the hatch, he looks in, seeing a slight form slumped in the corner, long red hair obscuring a respirator mask. Quickly lying her flat, he slaps a medi kit on her arm. Running his hand over her, he doesn't find any obvious injuries. Pulling a fresh respirator out of his pack, he slips the old one off. Suddenly the ship gives a groan he can feel thru the deck. "Uh oh!" Glancing down, he says, "Ciy! Wake up! We got to go!". Getting no response, he picks her up and staggers as the ship lurches. Oh, dam. This piece of drek may just break up on him. Shouldering his way into the passage, he sprints for the scout ship.
    Because we said so.

Back onboard the scout, Gun unceremoniously dumps Ciy onto a bunk in the tiny medstation. Sliding into the pilot seat, he detaches from the ship and puts a little distance between them. Making sure none of the ship jockeys in the area weren't going to run into them, he goes back to check on Ciy. Hooking her up to the med comp, he looks over the results. It looked like a concussion was the worse of her ills. That is if you didn't mention malnourished, dehydrated, oxy deprived and generally wrung out like a dish rag. She'll live. Shes gonna feel like hell when she wakes up.....but she'll live. That's all that matters.
    Because we said so.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678