Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Can there ever be peace?

This is where we disagree Lawdog. I as a Keeper hold the essence of humanity and life itself higher than notum. I don't care who mines what and who needs to sell what to whom. If anyone treathens humanity I will be myself, a lightbringer, and protect my loved ones and fight against those who endanger humanity for their own gain in credits.
    My title Keeper. My mind on my grind. Assembly's my heart. They shine when I shine.

Kyarash "Legaron" Davoudi
    Keeper of Assembly

"Seen through human experience there are as many worlds as there are humans. Understanding that the word "human" defines a point in eternity and not a seperate reality is the begining of knowing"

Well, gentlemen...our discussion here almost became a moot point today. The Mission I was on was compromised, and subsequently De-Classified, so I am free to tell you of it. As fellow warriors, You will appreciate the humor, that even a seasoned veteran makes mistakes. [OOC...Real story...lol]

I was on a solo recon mission to the very north tip of Broken Shores. While infiltrating, I passed thru an unoccupied Clan Tower facility, skirting a herd of local wildlife, (red). I had not noticed that I was passing thru a 25% zone, and immediately was engaged by the Towers automated defense. I was able to get clear, (lvl 78 towers...kicked my butt), at the cost of most my defenses. I then noticed on my heads up display, that "Lawdog80 has engaged Clan X's Tower", (didnt get Clan name...just a little busy). "Well...", I thought, "This is BAD..." I was immediately contacted by the Clan owning the Towers, asking my intentions. I attempted to reassure them that this was not a sanctioned Tower strike, and explained the situation, and that I was leaving the area. I was told a team was enroute to "check it out"

"Water, water everywhere...and not a drop to drink..." Why does it seem like the best war stories always begin, "OK, there I was...." Well, there I was....deep in enemy territory, alone, and low on HP's. Taking a few badly needed seconds to attempt first aid on myself, and a qwik fix of my armor, I set out. Knowing that a kill team was between me and escape, I set off towards the most desolete landscape I could find, using all my hard learned covert skills. My comms constantly filled with demands for my location and challenges to "PvP". Knowing that my equipment was configured for a Recon Mission, and not Combat, I declined the offers, and attempted to mislead the searching Kill Team as to my location. After Exfiling to the area of the Wompas, and keeping THAT area under several minutes of observation, (I would have had MY team lying in ambush there...Only way out), I was able to rush the Wompas and escape.

So, the moral of my story? That Warfare is a harsh, fickle mistress. That even a hardened veteran can make mistakes...and mine almost cost me dearly.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Legaron, some time ago, I served on a small, back water world in the "Sol", system...cant remember the Planets name. There I heard an expression, "You're preaching to the choir..." I believe I understand the gist of this to mean that someone is expressing a strong opinion to someone who already agrees with him. I agree that life is more important than Notum, I apologise if I did not make myself clear. However, OT does not agree with this sentiment, and they are calling the shots. The best I can promise is to keep this War as Humane as possible....HA...I made an oxymoron.....*shakes head*....and I admit it IS a moronic statement to make....but one does what one can. On this turn of the wheel, I am an employee of OT....the next?...only Karma will tell. I'll play this hand as dealt.

Jokzer.....some day we WILL meet....and I'M buying the first round of drinks.
    Because we said so.

I am going to take a chance and pass some information to you. If this were to become known, I would cost me my rank, if not my life. My recon into Broken Shores was to locate a possible smuggler. We have recieved information from Omni-Pol, that unknown ships have been using Alien attacks as cover to smuggle Notum off planet. A crashed ship...comps and logs erased...was found in the outzones. It carried an unregistered shipment of Notum. We do not know Who is supplying the smugglers...*laughs softly*...calm down Legaron, I'm not accusing the Clans....But they are the most likely suspects. I am telling you this because I believe you two to be honorable...and due to the fact that the Assembly does not currently hold any Towers. You both understand the cost in lives due to the Alien attacks, Clan AND OT. These individuals are the worst of the worst...using innocents as bait to build their own fortunes. OUR War is bad enough...this is senseless to the extreme. If these individuals are somehow controlling or directing the Aliens.....Well, you see my concern. Keep your ears open....without being rude, I will say my creds are on a Clan Faction supplying these scum...Please note I said "A" Faction...not ALL Clans....Inventories are being checked, but if it is coming from OT, they will have made sure there will be no tracks....Consider this...give me your thoughts.
    Last edited by FILO_Lawdog; Mar 26th, 2005 at 10:00:00.
    Because we said so.

Lawdog, I've spent years fighting criminals on this planet and I'm constantly baffled by the people who involves themselves with this scum, I've seem all factions and all ranks represented at one time or another - frequently in my gunsights.
    If I come across anything that appears to have bearing on this matter, I'll take it up with you two and see if we can do something about it.
    But please remember that my affiliation is with the clans as a whole, I will not commit acts that endanger us as a whole, I'll only try to bring bad apples to justice, just as I expect you to act should the information concern OT, Lawdog.

I'm right now involved in a series of operations that might enable me to get an inside view of some of the criminal gangs, I'll try and see what information I can develop. After all, smuggling notum and smuggling stims differs only in the bulk of the cargo and one might very well finance the other.
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

Jokzer, outstanding....I believe that on THIS... our efforts can be safely combined, without straining our personal Honor to our Orgs. This is a common foe that we agree needs to be stopped. I am in the "Actions Arms" part of OT, not the Investigative Branch, but I will pass along any Info I recieve on this. Oh, by the way.....*grins*.....if you should need a, how shall I put it?.....A "deniable" or "unofficial" Black Ops Team...let me know. My troops are absolutely loyal to me...and share my views on a great many things.
    Because we said so.

Oooh yeah...ehm...notum smuggling you say? *shakes his head rapidly* No idea...

[lol couldn't resist :P ]
    My title Keeper. My mind on my grind. Assembly's my heart. They shine when I shine.

Keeper of Assembly

"Seen through human experience there are as many worlds as there are humans. Understanding that the word "human" defines a point in eternity and not a seperate reality is the begining of knowing"

Quote Originally Posted by Kazragis
    Sic vis para bellum.
    I myself do not longer believe speaking of peace will give me peace anymore. The main reason why I am prepared for war.

Keeper of Assembly

There's an old saying with us soldiers:
    "If you want peace, prepare for war"
    It's sad, really, but it sums up us humans pretty good..

(And there's another saying that aplies here as well:
    "Hard training, easy war
    easy training, hard war.")
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

"Sic vis pacem para bellum" means "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Keeper of Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Legaron
    Actually, I make that "Here goes Pacman, rolling on his belly".
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I really wouldn't have expected otherwise from you...*shakes his head sadly*

Keeper of Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Legaron
    [[Ok, you got me I never did pass latin anyway ]]
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

Let me sum up a answer to the title question, just for people who don't want to read 639642364 pages of arguments.

The answer to the question "Can there ever be peace?" is: not "no", but "hell no".

Quote Originally Posted by Sundai
    The answer to the question "Can there ever be peace?" is: not "no", but "hell no".
    What do you mean? There can always be peace! Piece of dead clanner here, piece of dead clanner there.. Pieces everywhere..

My apologies for not replying sooner. I was on an extended "fact finding" mission. The interview of the individual involved did not go as well as hoped, but I did net a new pistol, (CDR!!!.....HOOORAH!)

To answer the question, "Can there be peace?", Yes, but at wat acceptable cost? The parties involved, (Clan and OT, I dont consider the Neutrals to be a party in this conflict, contrary to popular belief.), would have to meet at some point that would satisfy both parties. This means compromise and concessions.

Is this a realistic possibility?.....*sighs*...Probably not. Peaceful resosultion of this conflict would not at all cause me grief, but, I have no emotional ties to wat has happened here. I do not believe that individuals involved would let go of an oppurtunity to "get back" at their foes, nor because of the emotional load, make consession demands that would be acceptable to the other party involved.

So, in the long and short of it.....you have a brutal, hateful little war, self perpetuating......sustained by either those who have lost much, or those who have much to gain.

"Much to gain???", you may ask? WHO is THAT? Well, look around you. How many OT Officials have recieved promotions ahead of their normal time? How many Clanners are now powerful and wealthy, thanks to this conflict? The question to ask, is WHO has benefitted from this war? Look around, it may suprise you.

"No one hopes for Peace more than the Warrior"
    Because we said so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundai
    Let me sum up a answer to the title question, just for people who don't want to read 639642364 pages of arguments.

For you Divv there will never be peace...not as long as I am alive.

Quote Originally Posted by FILO_Lawdog
    To answer the question, "Can there be peace?", Yes, but at wat acceptable cost? The parties involved, (Clan and OT, I dont consider the Neutrals to be a party in this conflict, contrary to popular belief.), would have to meet at some point that would satisfy both parties. This means compromise and concessions.
    I fear that Omni-Reform will be paying you a visit after the comments you have made here Lawdog. There can be peace yes...but not peace with Omni-Tek the corporation. Never.

Keeper of Assembly

Ive just reviewed Craddocks initial post, and his question :

Would you ever join forces with Omni-Tek for the greater good?
    This is, as far as I can see, not a question of peace at all. Rather, ole Zack is asking if Clans would join OT for something quite non-tangible. "The greater good"....whos "greater good" are you asking us to join? We, the Clans, probably do not subscribe to, and would never succumb to Omni-Tek's definition of the "greater good".
    As far as I understand, the day I accept OT's definition of "greater good", is the day I admit defeat, and betray my own beleifs! Wont happen.....

No.....that is my answer!
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

Cogs, the greater good at this time just might be fighting off the aliens together. After all, they're rudely interrupting out little war her, quite uninvited and all that. Real impolite little buggers, if you ask me. They could at least have the decency to wait their turn, we'd get to soon enough, just after we vanguish OT

And Lawdog, I do indeed fear that Legaron is right in assuming that you may get a visit in the near future. It's funny that you mention the question of who benefits from this war, there is a very old, in fact perfectly ancient, question asked in criminal investigations: "Qui bono", who benefits. I find it fitting indeed to ask the same question when it comes to a civil war..

[[And if might not be the correct kasus but like I said, I failed latin.]]
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast