Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - June 3rd, 2011 - Thanks to a busy team

Quote Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
    I <3 You.
    Your love has turned this cold barren heart of stone into mud. Mud is a step up, for it be pliable and malleable and fun to draw in with sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Yes, thank you for stating the obvious.. it will always end up being what Means decided. I was simply providing my feedback.
    I state the obvious because it appears, to many (not necessarily to you), that the obvious isn't so obvious. They seem to think that Means has some kind of contractual obligation to post only about the kind of information they want and you can see them getting all riled up all over the forums about it.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

#83 Im getting closer
    Opsund 220/30 Ma
    Xandathrii 220/30 Enf
    Vekten 220/30 Doc

Lifdrasil 100/10 Eng

Retired General of Ascension, enjoying my elder days and the end of AO in The Asylum.(Currently of-world , but comming back soon(TM)
    Stop the inflation and madness, support my Tier 4 crusade

I think 'hopeless' is the word that describes the the situation best.. and it's getting worse every week.

That depends on what you hope for.

If you are hoping for a game that is playable and fun for all, making it popular and populated, then yeah, its hopeless. Even if the developers manage to get the engine out in a few weeks, the broken gameplay and amount of bugs will make it no more then "a few sunny days before the rigours of winter".

Those who can and like to use and abuse weird tricks, broken gameplay and/or exploits to feed their ego without caring for the consequences that it has on the future of the game sure had their fill. They may cry a bit when the game finally sinks but they will blame it on everybody except themselves or the developers who gave them everything. Their hopes have been pretty much fulfilled.

And FC milked this game for $ way past any expectations. More then they hoped for.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusos101
    Those who can and like to use and abuse weird tricks, broken gameplay and/or exploits to feed their ego without caring for the consequences that it has on the future of the game sure had their fill. They may cry a bit when the game finally sinks but they will blame it on everybody except themselves or the developers who gave them everything. Their hopes have been pretty much fulfilled.
    Yep. Everyone who enjoys playing this game is an evil exploiter who hopes to cause as widespread misery via the internet as often possible. I know I am. I don't even see why people like you bother checking here. You're really 'showing' them.

Will someone please temporarily remove the deserter flag functionality from battlestations until you guys are able to troubleshoot and fix whatever keeps causing the battlestations to bug out?

During the past 3 or 4 days I've gotten into bugged battlestations at least a half dozen times with the only way for me to get out of them being to use a beacon or meep... both resulting in deserter flags. I'm not sure what the threshold is for when you have to do the quest to get back into battlestation but if I have to that'll be BS in itself.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Will someone please temporarily remove the deserter flag functionality from battlestations until you guys are able to troubleshoot and fix whatever keeps causing the battlestations to bug out?

During the past 3 or 4 days I've gotten into bugged battlestations at least a half dozen times with the only way for me to get out of them being to use a beacon or meep... both resulting in deserter flags. I'm not sure what the threshold is for when you have to do the quest to get back into battlestation but if I have to that'll be BS in itself.
    I'll bump this. It's happened to me at least once or twice a day for the last two weeks or so.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Man, that QQ winner sounds like I did back in Shadowlands beta... yeah, the post that got me banned for alleging fecal-eating propensities of certain developers that are thankfully no longer with AO. Oddly enough, I'm no longer with AO as well.

If only I could kick the habit of reading these forums every couple of weeks.

-Hoops
    "On the brink of the dark he stood, with only the dream of the cities, the million books, the spectral images of the people he had loved, who had loved him, whom he had known and lost. They will not come again. They never will come back again."

-Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938), Look Homeward, Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcradle View Post
    Yep. Everyone who enjoys playing this game is an evil exploiter who hopes to cause as widespread misery via the internet as often possible. I know I am. I don't even see why people like you bother checking here. You're really 'showing' them.
    Thank you. Thats exactly what I meant.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Nice post.

Still, I am worried about spending considerable manhours to fixing an age-old issue with ATI cards and _old_ engine. This probably means no new engine in 2011 is likely.

Wait, this isn't news
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Nice post.

Still, I am worried about spending considerable manhours to fixing an age-old issue with ATI cards and _old_ engine. This probably means no new engine in 2011 is likely.

Wait, this isn't news
    Indeed. No news there. only about three weeks of q2 2011 left. No vids, no pics, not much anything about engine. No balance docs. (though personally i hope the balance never comes, because i really don't look forward to completely re-gearing most of my toons and re-learning a whole different game since pretty much everything will change).

Oh well..- I'll be surprised if the engine actually comes at all before some big boss at fc decides to finally pull the plug from AO. (Yes, glass is half empty and pessimist might get positively surprised while optimist can only be disappointed).
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    Indeed. No news there. only about three weeks of q2 2011 left. No vids, no pics, not much anything about engine. No balance docs. (though personally i hope the balance never comes, because i really don't look forward to completely re-gearing most of my toons and re-learning a whole different game since pretty much everything will change).

Oh well..- I'll be surprised if the engine actually comes at all before some big boss at fc decides to finally pull the plug from AO. (Yes, glass is half empty and pessimist might get positively surprised while optimist can only be disappointed).
    the expression "Don't hold your breath" comes to mind. I've seen far too many pass out over lack of progress.

its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development
    Last edited by SoapTarder; Jun 7th, 2011 at 17:41:29.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Thanks for the new sig. Thats perfect
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

I'm sure this is not the proper place to post but I'm hoping someone at Funcom will take a look at this issue.

The shade quest reward for the Xan civilization quest is bugged big time. In order to even complete the Xan quest, one of the yutto's tells you that you need to complete the Jobe Scientist quest line first. The shade reward for the Jobe Scientist line is a QL 125 Necklace of Alacrity (Location: Neck Modifier: Add All Def. 75 Melee. Init. 75). The final quest reward for the Xan quest turned out to be a QL 126 Necklace of Alacrity (Location: Neck Modifier: Add All Def. 76 Melee. Init. 76). I know AO Universe isn't the final word and it is my fault for trusting the source (maybe?) but I thought I would be getting a better necklace as reward for the Xan quest.. similar to how other professions get higher level versions of the Jobe Scientist nano. Instead.. I spent hours doing that Xan quest only to get an item that was +1 AAD and +1 Melee Init more than what I already had.

Please fix this.. that quest is really long and tedious.. but I thought +25 AAD was worth it (especially since I get xp along the way). I wouldn't have done it had I known I was only getting +1 AAD. I personally think that you should just fix the stats so that the QL 126 version has the +100 modifiers so that anyone else that was shafted on this quest gets their proper reward.

Edit: Spoke to Means and a fix is incoming. Yay!
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jun 9th, 2011 at 21:47:55.
    You can find me at:

3 months... thats the time i didnt looked into this forums. what happened since then? cant see any progress being made regarding balancing and the engine! fc still fooling us? will the balancing even come ingame this year?! engine?!?! now they lf content designers out of the community....
    Yeny | Intake | Rhiya | Juiya | Evilshadey | Infamous | Ntlein | Riya | Aryna | Pastafari | Badcore | Palsy | ...and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Means in Friday with Means - February 24th, 2011 - The dust is settling
    We are not going to be able to release the engine in Q1 but we are still hoping for an "Early Beta" in Q1 or early Q2

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    For those talking about a progress bar on the website, you do realize that you are referring to the same website that has references for the "current" status of things on RK3, a server THEY shut down how long ago?

The right side of the official homepage is showing that Clans are actively holding the majority of the towers on RK3, as of today.

Want the latest server news? It is from 2009.12.14

Need to manually download the the latest update? It is version 18.3.7_EP1, yet we are on 18.4.4_EP1

How about the latest featured content? It is from 2007.11.06

Guess what the official website states is Coming Soon™? 18.4.2 Preview - Ringing in the Holidays!

Want to know the latest information in Knowledge? It is from 2008.06.26

How about the latest in The World? It is from 2007.03.31

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...

If the official website has "new" material that is over 4 years old, why would someone visiting the website for the first time want to download multiple gigs of what appears to be a dead game?
    this.
    Toyhazard 220/30/70 Engie
    Dwix 220/30/70 Fix
    Deathwalkerz 220/30/70 Advie
    Deathsrow 170/24/42 Advie
    Rowsofdeath 161/22/42 Fix
    Buckket 118/11 Agent
    Lemonparty 85/9 Tard
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I can't code in better leadership for the Clan faction.

looks like even the forum is kinda dead^^

"The Latest"(TM)
    Yeny | Intake | Rhiya | Juiya | Evilshadey | Infamous | Ntlein | Riya | Aryna | Pastafari | Badcore | Palsy | ...and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Means in Friday with Means - February 24th, 2011 - The dust is settling
    We are not going to be able to release the engine in Q1 but we are still hoping for an "Early Beta" in Q1 or early Q2

It's nice that we get these updates and we get to see what the teams are working on. I know of no game that keeps the community as up to date as Anarchy Online. However, "seeing is believing". As of yet, we have not seen anything from the new engine that was originally slated for Q1. Can it produce any video? Is 2012 really more realistic?

The profession documents have lots of numbers, columns, and details. It's great to see every nano listed, but what's really important is "What changed?". How about a summary of what you intend and how it works with the other professions, then a brief description on the major changes. Too much is focused on the tiny details so that it's hard to see the big picture.

I personally like the idea of a progress bar for activities that they choose to keep us in the loop on because sometimes the updates are not helpful.

I am not a game programmer so when certain things are said or updates provided it doesn't really tell me anything. I have no idea where in the process the team actually is in terms of how close they are to completing the engine. Certain buzz words, for me as a non game programmer, sound a lot like "we're almost done" but apparently they mean "we still have another year or so to go".

I guess a lot of the forum posters are in the game industry or well versed so perhaps I am in the minority with this issue. I have no issue with legitimately admitting my ignorance on the behind the scenes process for game development and engine design. A % completion number would be more helpful to me than any sort of details on what specific tasks have been done, reviewed or completed.

For instance, we've gotten details on engine progress. Does anyone here, including the folks that step up to defend Funcom's slow progress, have any idea what % complete the engine work is at this point? Anyone know how close to being done the rebalance work is? I don't even think I've really heard any details one way or the other regarding the new player starter experience. We've gotten a lot of information but I just don't think that information adds up to truly informing the playerbase on the timeline... which is probably the most debated topic on these forums.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jun 10th, 2011 at 01:28:39.
    You can find me at:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast