Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visuals that don't really make sense

Visuals that don't really make sense

Ok, so enforcers can increase their size visually through several nanos. I don't think that anywhere in the future there will be a hulk-size humanoid running around, that can be (at least from what I've seen in-game over the years) 3-6 bigger than the tallest avatar. Limiting the size of ALL professions to 110% through items/nanos and maybe give the enforcer prof a 125% limit to give them that "umph!" they love.

Also the minus scale should be limited to 80% on all profs, one of the reasons to follow.

Agents for a long time have become the "dude, wru I can't see you?" prof, because the Ruse of Taren can reduce an agent down to 30% of their size (without using items that affect size), and if when they made their avatar they made it the shortest height, well then the player becomes practically a speck on the ground. In a crowded area, tabbing to find you could be a waste of time, specially when more people go in and out of the area.

There is a reason why we have names above our heads, so we can visually spot someone.

As an agent from the start of the game, it didn't make sense for me to become the size of a pebble. No game I've every played where stealth was involved EVER (specially military related games like Tom Clancy's, Metal Gear, etc) reduced my size like it does here. Ok AO is a sci fi game in the 30th millenia, but if you are the size of a cockroach, wouldn't it be easy for anyone to just step on you with their boot and end the fight in seconds?

What would make sense (stay with me here), is that in the future agents would have the ability to have a Predator-like (as in the movies, dunno about the games, never played those) ability to be somewhat invisible, not fully, but let's say 90% transparent which makes you practically a shadow and harder to target and find. This wouldn't affect PvP I think because you can still be tabbed and selected manually.

I won't go into the clan Agent Tier 3 color, because it's made of /fail... but, orange? orange?... best move on.

If you are in first-person view, and you are inside an air/ground/water vehicle, wouldn't you be in a cockpit of some kind? When I get into a car, and I'm driving, I see the wheel, the windshield, the panel in front of me, the chassis, etc., I'm fairly sure I'm inside a car.

Get into a yalm, switch to first-person view and if you have the setting correct, you see the front of the vehicle, as if you were laying on top of it, holding on for dear life (that happens with air vehicles, haven't tested ground/water).

A single common cockpit to be used across all vehicles (maybe except mechs) would be a nice addition to the immersion aspect of the game. Mech ever more so, who don't remember the old Mechwarrior days when you get in one of those babies huh?

You don't need to add anything fancy like floating HUD, sweeping radar or targeting system, just a nice mech cockpit to give a bit of flavor.

Ok maybe that and an actualy MECH-ONLY area so we can have some mech wars fun?
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Jun 19th, 2009 at 16:09:32.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

I like my Ruse 4, leave it alone!

so much fail, so little time
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    considering how many ranged advies omni has, clan did quite a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciex View Post
    Ive rolled NT and rarely make it longer than 3-4s vs fixers.
    Talking whats OP and whats not by people who have never really played so told OP profession is just lame.

To each his opinion, but I like the size changings in ao.

I used to "wtf I wanna be enfo" while looking at huuuge enfos parading in the middle of crowds.

I would even more like if an enfo size was even more linked to it's strength... such as size biggyfyers added to their symbs and higher the symbs, bigger the enfo.
    Last edited by schloops; Jun 19th, 2009 at 22:59:13. Reason: strength --> size
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

To give a supportive opinion for a change...

The things mentioned in the OP can in fact be seen as somewhat silly or immersion breaking, at least to the kind of players who still care for such things, and who are becoming a declining minority.

A limited size change like suggested would seem an acceptable tradeoff for me, just as changing the Ruse line so that instead of producing the "incredibly shrinking agent" (Duke Nukem's shrink ray + boots of might, anyone? ), it would only slightly reduce them in size but make them more and more transparent instead as suggested.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I guess there's some okay if slightly awkward logic about the Ruse line (you're smaller and therefore harder to notice in a setting)... but everything about Enforcer +scale, while perhaps less logical and actually rather implausable (for today's scientific standards), gives the profession it's trademark: nothing says your tank means business like a 30-foot tall enforcer with deadly blades and clubs against a boss that's now barely his size. 125% scale just wouldn't be cool enough: you wouldn't stand out as an Enforcer, you'd just be a Keeper/Advie/blunt Meta with an annoying growth spurt.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

/fail on an epic scale.

But still entertaining.

wtfz I love ruse I even wear shrinking bracers and other stuff while Im just semi afking in bor. Leaf it alone plx

Just change the enf size nanos to "width only", making really fat wide enfs.

For shrinking nanos/items, just shrink the body, leaving giant heads on tiny legs.

Just think of the comic value!
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    I guess there's some okay if slightly awkward logic about the Ruse line (you're smaller and therefore harder to notice in a setting)... but everything about Enforcer +scale, while perhaps less logical and actually rather implausable (for today's scientific standards), gives the profession it's trademark: nothing says your tank means business like a 30-foot tall enforcer with deadly blades and clubs against a boss that's now barely his size. 125% scale just wouldn't be cool enough: you wouldn't stand out as an Enforcer, you'd just be a Keeper/Advie/blunt Meta with an annoying growth spurt.
    In that case setting the cap to 200% would make even the smallest enforcer much taller than anyone else (except maybe another enforcer).
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

/fail on an epic scale.

But still entertaining.
    Read the MP description when you create a new toon, the pets make sense. An agent being the size of a GI Joe action figure in-game, doesn't make sense. It's like a bad movie: "Honey, I shrunk the agent!... small tiny dude that people have a hard time to notice (I guess this is FC's version of stealth) and oh wait!... his armor got smaller, his weapon and ammo got smaller, so the deadly bullets become... deadly microscopic needles of... doom?

Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    Just change the enf size nanos to "width only", making really fat wide enfs.

For shrinking nanos/items, just shrink the body, leaving giant heads on tiny legs.

Just think of the comic value!
    I have to admit, this would be hella funny.

This is like that Farscape episode where they got turned really small by some kind of bounty hunter, and they tried to explain how it wasn't possible..... I forgot where I was going with this.
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

there is so many more important things in this game that need attention right now than scale "issues".

i declare this thread, stupid, uninformative (unless you didnt know agent tier color), and nonsensical.

Let's all go back to our kippurs.. oh wait...
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

Simple solution to people that have issues with nanos changing their toons appearance: Give us an option to disable any effects that change/morph our own and other peoples characters and replace it with some aura effect. But make it so it only affects your client while others are still able to see those morphs. That way everyone should get it as they want, well almost.

Morphs have been bugging me since I first played an advy. I don't like both cat and dog morphs at all, especially with the camera issues you have when running uphill or against a closed door.
    [Deadpixels][220/23] Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Knarre View Post
    Morphs have been bugging me since I first played an advy. I don't like both cat and dog morphs at all, especially with the camera issues you have when running uphill or against a closed door.
    I didn't like how I spent hours upon hours farming awesome gear, then in order to be effective with said gear I wasn't able to see it and had to run around pretending to be a puppy instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    I didn't like how I spent hours upon hours farming awesome gear, then in order to be effective with said gear I wasn't able to see it and had to run around pretending to be a puppy instead.
    Another good point.

/fail on an epic scale.

But still entertaining.
    Lol of the day sig worthy.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.

i love my huge enfo
    i love my tiny agent

don't touch them ! lol

mechs have cockpit already just enable the "show my character in 1st person view"

yalm and ground vehicule don't have one, dunno for water vehicule...

fc could add one but right this is not the biggest problem in game atm imo
    Xeratrading 220/26 NM trader|||Methalix 220/21 Atrox Enforcer
    Methaball 176/4 Atrox MP|||Xeradoc 150/16 Solitus Doctor
    Methafire 150/20 Atrox Soldier|||Xeradvent 121/10 Solitus Adventurer
    Xeranuke 186/17 Solitus Nano-technician
    Xeracrat 200/21 Solitus Bureaucrat
    President of ~~ Athalantes ~~
    Squad Commander of The Glowing Nightfliers

I hate agents being tiny, I always have.
    I'm casting "Physical Dominance" on you as a kind of kinky thing
    ... also quite proud of being suspended from Lemmingnet.. for... not slacking?
    GOOD ONE.

Don't be lonely anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast