Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a thought about Grenades and Shotguns

Just a thought about Grenades and Shotguns

AoE.

Think about it; it would make sense if Grenade-guns would come with a small AoE (nothing too crazy... like min damage of the equipped weapon with an attack skill, which checks duck-exp and would hit like couple mobs around the main target) and Shotguns with a very small AoE (like 1 mob right next to main target, 1m range and 1 other target hit only). I'm sure some Engineers, who still wield Grenade-guns, and Traders would welcome this effect in PvM at least, let alone mass-PvP.

I have no idea would this be possible to create, quite possibly not... so I'm just playing with the idea and perhaps someone has already created a similar topic... but anyway! What do you think, would this be silly or less-silly idea? No need for serious debate, this was just something that crossed my mind and I wanted to write it down somewhere

Grenade Aoe? {edited by Anarrina: removed obscenity}

Just put a 100% proc which does an 5m 2k AoE called FRAGMENTATION BURST, and a 15m 1k AoE called SHRAPNEL SPRAY, both of which check ~50 duck. Put the rocks flying visual on top of the ToTW flame ring visual. Also, make it do a DoT. Make it hurt friendlies too, and make the proc debuff ranged init so you get the "oh {removed} he's reloading run" effect.

Actually, I think giving Engis inv-usable flashbangs, frag grenades and thermite grenades would be absolutely awesome. Make 'em varied enough to be useful, but not potent enough to be OP, and by no means spammable.

Put a 4s snare and 1s stun on the flashbang, a DoT on the thermite grenade, and a bigass nuke and knockback on the frag grenade. Give them the "use" feature that requires you to stand still briefly or break combat, and make the engi require a grenade weapon to use them. And make 'em tradeskillable.

Less kiting the pets, damage ++, grenade loving, tradeskill loving, and anti-blob lulz.

Screw shotguns though.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Nov 5th, 2009 at 07:37:22.

I don't even have an engie and I'm all for evil grenades of doom. Flashbangs (quick blind) Frag (big boomer o' doom) and HE (Knockback if it ever can be made to work) would all be nice additions to the Engineer toolset.

Ah, thought about it a bit more

So it'd be Thermite for a nasty DoT fire effect, maybe have a LN2 (liquid Nitrogen) grenade for a cold attack, have a generic Anti-Personnel mine handy for a simple AOE attack and Shaped Charges to do capped pvp hits against any mech the Engineer is lucky enough to come across in pvp.

Srompu's got a good start, and I hope that the usable inventory grenades get a good looking over, the idea is wicked cool and the execution currently...well...sucks.

Shotguns could have special shell types, not unlike how we have buckshot and solid slugs in rk4, maybe a nanite enhanced 'boomer' shell for a small AOE, usable much like the fixer special ammunition for the area burst. Using it would probably mess with your sights a bit and make using Aimed Shots a bit tougher (temp debuff to AS for a few seconds) until they recorrected or you got over the recoil.

Sounds like a terrific anti-zerg idea; prepare a thermite grenade, launch it and produce a wide-radius fire DOT, enough to worry about but ofc not orbital-strike brand of power.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Means personally doesn't like the idea of use grenades (idk why, I didn't feel like debating him on that one at the time)
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Ok, well even if not inventory-usable grenades, a U GOT PHRAGGED aoe on grenade weapons would surely not be too bad.

I freaking love the idea, if only for the cool factor.
    Down with dual-lust cookie-cutter support profs and up with grenade launchers!

It's kinda shame that a whole line of weapons is left behind and forgotten. It would be nice to see more variation. And yeah, I don't have an engineer nor a trader

has been asked before by those grenade wierdos..
    the usable grenade things have been asked for also and we ended up with BS only snare/nano mines (fun stuff if people step on it, but hard to get em to step on it )

currently the only reason to use grenade is the "cool factor" as srompu puts it (i think it looks lame, but meh )

Greetings,

Ellarisa
    Darkellarisa 220/30/70 Engineer equipment pvp // Alien Deaths: 353
    Crazyella 220/30/70 MP equipment // Alien Deaths: 90
    Stabbingella 220/28/67 Shade equipment // Alien Deaths: 45
    Farming alien deaths since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidstriker View Post
    And Ella said, "Let there be robots," and there were robots. Ella saw that the robots were good, and he separated the light from the dark. Ella called the light "Slayerdroids," and the dark he called "Gladiatorbots." And there was Automations, and there was Warmachines- the second day.

There is a perk in game already (can't remember the name) that looks like the person throwing a grenade, evolve it!
    .:: Proud Member of Obsidian Order RK1 ::.

I find it funny that the folks most likey to say "yes, more usable item grenades for Engies, Plx" are the same ones who'll most likely be killed by these grenades.

Another idea I'd had is to have an armor piercing (-reflect) grenade, low damage, -25% reflect, around, would be useful when you're looking at too many reflects in some situations in pvm and would be an extra check against heavy reflect profs in pvp (I think the shield ripper aura takes a bit long to kick in in PvP unless you decide to actually CAST it in PVP, which against Soldier/Shield MP/NS2 NT I'd consider other actions first.)

While I find it somewhat disappointing that Means isn't a fan of what could be one of the biggest potential areas that Engineers have that they could get improvments in, I'm more curious as to why? With a large arsenal of grenades all locking Grenade skill for various lengths of time, Engies would have a wide array of tools for dealing with lots of different situations, all within their toolset, and all hopefully tradeskilled on top of it.

Did Means explain why he wasn't a fan of more Grenade, by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy View Post
    There is a perk in game already (can't remember the name) that looks like the person throwing a grenade, evolve it!
    I think a couple do. I Know Chemical blindness is one of em.

Maybe it's a better suggestion to have AOE ammo, but making the whole weapon line do AoE damage is a horrible idea. There are many instances were you don't want to AoE things.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

AOE gun subject was beaten to death on Engineer forum, the general consensus always seemed to be **** NO. Unfortunately AOE guns bring more trouble than it is worh it.

Idea of thrown grenades isn't liked by our current Game Director, he instead gave us Battlestation Only mines in hope we will mine places with them, but , what an unexpected surprise, we use them as thrown grenades with melee range.

Give engineers a type 1 proc that enables the AOE effect. That way it can be enabled and disabled at will.
    Waiting for a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    AOE gun subject was beaten to death on Engineer forum, the general consensus always seemed to be **** NO. Unfortunately AOE guns bring more trouble than it is worh it.

Idea of thrown grenades isn't liked by our current Game Director, he instead gave us Battlestation Only mines in hope we will mine places with them, but , what an unexpected surprise, we use them as thrown grenades with melee range.
    Can has linkie plix?

Just wondering what reasoning led to the burial. Grenades being grenade-style just seems so darn cool.

Too hard to keep balanced mainly, means just didn't feel like dealing with it last time it was brought up.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Too hard to keep balanced mainly, means just didn't feel like dealing with it last time it was brought up.
    Not really, no.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...70&postcount=1

Question 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Means
    Q: Thrown Grenades for Engineers.

No. All the other tools introduced with these two new mechanics are largely defensive. Engineers are not meant to be the "Charge in ahead of the Tank throwing aoe-grenades with special blockers up" class...I am sorry if some disagree. The ability to hold an area defensively is an incredibly powerfull tool..and should not be taken lightly. If the engineer community feels that mines are a horrible idea then clearly we haven't established a good dialogue to make sure our intentions are clear. This is our fault. Things have been busy and I am sorry it has been late in coming. I was hoping to have these complete for testing this week...but other serious issues unfortunately had to take precedence..
    Now if you want to ask me WTF exactly is "tank" in PvP and why would i charge in front of anything if i had a ranged grenade, and how is rushing in front to throw my melee mine on people (which is what i do) better - i do not know , and i do not think i want to know

Bleh lame.

That's like removing Kels in oldschool NW because NTs would go all rambo in front of the zerg.
    Maybe he'd revisit it with all the perk changes.

I dont know what part of THROWN means doesnt get here. Engineers could get at like a medium range of 20 meters from a target and use a thrown grenade like a useable item. Its not like you'll leeroy ahead of an enforcer just to throw a grenade... that is currently done with the battlestation mines right now.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Today at 18:32:45.. Reason: constantly mistyping someone else's name in an attempt to belittle them in harassment

Quote Originally Posted by Phylicity View Post
    I dont know what part of THROWN means doesnt get here. Engineers could get at like a medium range of 20 meters from a target and use a thrown grenade like a useable item. Its not like you'll leeroy ahead of an enforcer just to throw a grenade... that is currently done with the battlestation mines right now.
    I guess there is some thinking that it might be OPed if an engi can throw a grenade and shoot a grenade gun? Personally, I don't get the hang up. AOE grenades that work like thrown weapon would be fine to me. Might be a nice way to get people out of sneak, or blind a group of people, or snare, etc... Grenades aren't all about damage.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast