Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Problem with PvP Level Balance

Debump, splitting up the pvp ranges up like that makes no sense and eliminates twink level variety. You'd just get that all twinks will be lvl49, 74, 174, etc... Low level pvp ranges are fine, the only concern is lvl200-220. As discussed in several other threads on this subject, the best solution is to count each Shadow Level as 5 normal levels, like so:
    Code:
    Max	Min
    200	159
    201	163
    202	167
    203	171
    204	175
    205	179
    206	183
    207	187
    208	191
    209	195
    210	199
    211	201
    212	201
    213	202
    214	203
    215	204
    216	205
    217	205
    218	206
    219	207
    220	208

Original pvp level ranges are thrilling enough with one exception: 201-220 should be a league of its own.
    Taranide 220/30 fixer RK2 and now also RK1! Wait a second...
    Might have other characters too but I'm not so sure, always leave them camping something and there they are for few months.

I actually think this is the best re-scaled effort I've seen:

CLICKUMZ
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Quote Originally Posted by RedWatr View Post

CLICKUMZ
    Yep, exactly my thoughts. Bump

CLICKUMZ
    Basing ranges ENTIRELY on what the so called equivalent of a SL is to a RL should not be the final answer. It's a good start though.

Just one example of what I mean:

182 145 - 205
    187 149 - 207

going from 182 ---> 187
    is much less of a gain than
    going from 205 ---> 207

Consider TL caps, consider gear, consider what your upper pvp range has as an upper pvp range, consider nano locks, consider huge perk gains from some profs... We do that when choosing a twink level and I can already tell that some jumps do not make any sense and were chosen only because it fit the formula.

Also, it doesn't address the situation of 207 twinks. Answer me this, do you see 207s out in the open without TL7 support? They're either ganking or have 220s supporting them. They can't be out in the open, that's why they resort to ganks n' meep. Isn't being free to be out in the open what TL5 want? Yet, the people they want protection from don't even have that. To make it even worse for them, the suggestions so far put their faith up in the air to see whether there's going to be any twinks in their range to gank.. not fight, gank. Cause when you're open to 220s at 207, you're not going to stick around long if you don't have 220 support of your own.
    Last edited by Chereee; Mar 7th, 2010 at 19:17:06.

If there were 240 levels as opposed to 220, current 207s would get ganked by 240s. There are no level 240 players. This means you are already protected from getting wtfganked by a much higher level - they don't exist.

There's always going to be a lower bound where you are prey to the highest levels. Currently this level is 175. As a 175, getting ganked by a level 220 isn't really any fun at all, though it isn't the big issue here. The level 207 "twinks" are. Level 207s are taking advantage of the upper bound on character levels and consequently no risk of getting attacked by a vastly superior character, in addition to being healable to characters out of their target's pvp range (though the latter happens at all levels).

I don't think that level 207 is a really valid twink level from the game's point of view at all due to the upper bound on their attacker level as described above. They're just freaks created by the game mechanics. Such characters will, with the currently used sliding window PvP range system, always exist. It's just that currently the power gap between the intended targets of these 'freaks' and their own ability is huge.

Mechanics often have their weak spots - the current twink killer levels are an example. Should we care whether they are viable in the future?
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

CLICKUMZ
    this proposal ain't greatly accurate. eg :
    204 175 - 215 doesn't work with 215 203 - 220
    same for 207 187 - 218 that makes no sense if 220 207 - 220

but i agree with those surroundings wich are close to a proposal i made myself
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...4&postcount=85

i also disagree on applying purely the same % ranges with a curve of SL = 5 * RK, because it leads to too much restriction imo.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Quote Originally Posted by bitnykk View Post
    this proposal ain't greatly accurate. eg :
    204 175 - 215 doesn't work with 215 203 - 220
    same for 207 187 - 218 that makes no sense if 220 207 - 220

but i agree with those surroundings wich are close to a proposal i made myself
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...4&postcount=85

i also disagree on applying purely the same % ranges with a curve of SL = 5 * RK, because it leads to too much restriction imo.
    Change it how you want, do you think it will stop new 204 tl5 killers?
    Another level range means only another profession for tl5 ganker.
    First level 1 soldier with BOC in Anarchy Online<---[CGS] project
    Owned and killed tl1/2 NW for months, time to leave and give chance to clan "twinks".
    First trader with 100% JAME ql 141 at level30 at rk1
    Clan PVP org[1-220] in one line
    [Questra]: well i hate omnis having side xp [Questra]: but i'm afraid to spoil your fun i'm only gonna plant neutral bases at tl2 now, so you'll have to piss the neuts off if you want to zerg lowbie sites
    Darkirbiska/Darkirbis/Marburg1111/Mavherick/Irbiska/Ultimater2/Ultimater/Ilubtower and some froobs....wtb more slots [retired]

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    If there were 240 levels as opposed to 220, current 207s would get ganked by 240s.
    How do you figure that? And what does that change to my claim that it's too wide a power difference? My justification: these twinks don't exist aside from ganks/meeps and 220 support, indicating that the range is too wide for them to be able to reasonably stand their ground to the same extent every other pvp level does (except for maybe tl5+). Your justification: it could be worse? LOL, it's true. 207s can be attacked by players of level over 9000. You've sold me there!

There's always going to be a lower bound where you are prey to the highest levels. Currently this level is 175. As a 175, getting ganked by a level 220 isn't really any fun at all, though it isn't the big issue here.
    Why is 220 attacking 175 not the big issue? Cause there are no 175 to complain? Dunno about you, but when I see that there are no twinks at a certain level, to me it sounds like it's a bad twink level. 220s should attack down to a reasonable level that allows them to put up a fight, but still be at a disadvantage, just like how 76 vs 60 is. If they attack down to too low a level, that low level range either won't exist or will find a way to gank/meep. Don't you think that should be the focus of solving this problem? How low should 220 attack? Cause once you balance that, the rest will just fall into place.

Level 207s are taking advantage of the upper bound on character levels and consequently no risk of getting attacked by a vastly superior character, in addition to being healable to characters out of their target's pvp range (though the latter happens at all levels).
    If 207s were a 'good twink level' by the same standards that lvl 10-164 is, then you would see them standing their ground vs 220s. You would see them dominating 165s even more than they do now. They are at no risk of getting attacked by someone vastly superior IF they meep.That rules out like 10 professions already, and it severly limits gameplay. If they don't meep, their life is in the hands of the 220 battle. Whoever wins that battle decides who wins the 207 battle, decides who wins the TL5 battle. What's so different? 207s found one way to play the game, which the 165s tolerate. 207s have their downsides, don't pretend like they don't. Removing their only reason to exist and not replacing it with any other reason is an unwarrated nerf.

Should we care whether they are viable in the future?
    Would you care if your twink was renderred useless of no fault of your own? Rebalancing is fine, but nerfing to the point of not having any reason to play a toon you invested so much in -- not fine.

Btw...I just ganked a 172 soldier twink in less than 3 seconds flat on my purely pvm 208 enfo yet again. Without trying.

There is a difference between a 150 vs a 126 and a 207 vs a 170. The 150 isn't going to instasplat the 126.
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    Btw...I just ganked a 172 soldier twink in less than 3 seconds flat on my purely pvm 208 enfo yet again. Without trying.

There is a difference between a 150 vs a 126 and a 207 vs a 170. The 150 isn't going to instasplat the 126.
    I don't disagree with anything you say here, I'm just pointing out that the 208 enfo will instasplat to a 220, something which people are conveniently ignoring when posting their pvp rebalance scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Chereee View Post
    I don't disagree with anything you say here, I'm just pointing out that the 208 enfo will instasplat to a 220, something which people are conveniently ignoring when posting their pvp rebalance scheme.
    Not really, 220 keeper tried to kill me and I got away quite easily.
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    Not really, 220 keeper tried to kill me and I got away quite easily.
    Is that indicative of the power difference or the profession matchups? Cause I too can say something similar about my 184 froob fixer getting away quite easily from 220s.
    Last edited by Chereee; Mar 9th, 2010 at 03:36:55.

Why not use wow's system, with a little variation..

1-19
    20-31
    32-43
    ETC ETC..

And when you get to 201. all you can fight is 220.

Pvp ranges allow for exploitation of the mechanic, for instance a tl5 force gathers to fight another and gets on with it, then you have the 207 enf/fix/agent/sold/whatever come along and wtfpwn you, well your tl5 force target's the player and unleashes a combined alpha strike, but the 220 doc who is in gas but cant be attacked by the tl5 force quickly heals the 207 gank machine with zero effort.

Then 22's come out to help out and it quickly degenerates into a tl7 fight with the LCA remaining unharmed as the twink army had to log mains to ward off the tl5 ganker and 220 doc poket healer.

So no one wins the LCA, cept the defending side who dont actually have to defend other than logging the twink 207 toon and have a friend come out and heal them... while the CT remains the same.
    Posted by Seventh: Has something to do with the fact that RL speaking im 172 sm high and weight 96 kg, all of which come in muscle form (and guessing your reaction about forum pvp, yes i can log into webcam )

Said the pixels lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Esqi View Post
    Why not use wow's system, with a little variation..

1-19
    20-31
    32-43
    ETC ETC..
    Because then you'd need to have like 20 twinks to defend all your towers, while you can only fit 8 on your account...

imo the 207 twinks should be able to attack 174+ so they ain't rendered useless.
    that's the choice people make to come in war with 175ish to gank 150 easily, so they deserve to have some upper gankers too. but there's no point to let them splat 165ish.

on the other hand 220-207 is *WAYYYY* less gapped than 207-165 on every aspects (symbiants, buffs, perks, items, etc ...) : don't deny, that's senseless to, we all know it ! & that fails to be asking for no nerf (= keep 165 access) and get protection lub (= from 220) at the same time for 207 lolzors.

we all know the best 165 got no freaking chance VS any 200+ (even a rotten PLer) whereas a correct 207 can deal pretty much against an average 215+. everybody here agrees that 201+ power increase ain't the same linear scale than under 200 included.

so the goal is to balance high PVP ranges, so plz keep it fair in the debates as we all try to.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

IMHO, pvp is about twinking. Your pvp title says how good you are in pvp. If you have 2k solo kills then measure your skills against guys with 2k solo kills. You may be at the same level.

pvp ranges should be defined by TL, and pvp title (solo, team, duel). I guess you can find the right combination how to define the ranges.

With a simple logic, what result would you expect for duel of two TL7 where one has pvp title 1 and other 5. Isn't that obvious?
    --
    Techwizard

Quote Originally Posted by bitnykk View Post
    ...whereas a correct 207 can deal pretty much against an average 215+.
    Explain to me why 207s resort to ganks and meeps then? Why wouldn't they stick around to fight off 220s like most other pvp range facing someone at their upper range? If they can deal with the average 220, why don't they?

Explain to me why 207s resort to ganks and meeps then? Why wouldn't they stick around to fight off 220s like most other pvp range facing someone at their upper range? If they can deal with the average 220, why don't they?
    Because these guys only like one sided fights!

I know of a 210 soldier that can kill 75% of 220 twinks.

Besides, the reason they don't "stick around" is because its usually 1 vs 3-4 and they use all of their attacks on ganking the lowbie. Besides, if you had a fixer, you could kill, meep, fgrid and be back to the site in 1 minute without the possibility of dying.
    Facebook

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast