Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Here is a nice article that explains a bit of what has also been a problem here in AO and comes to a conclusion that you always get flamed for saying: http://www.howlingtower.com/2012/03/...dependent.html
    Another one who blames players, their desire and devs for doing what players ask. (In short, the types of things that players want are bad for the game. )

The problem is, again, (bad) band-aid fixes.

If you read the first solution (done by publishers), it's quite clear:
    the publisher wipes the table clean and starts the cycle over at zero with a new edition.
    His own solution:
    I can see one way out, and that's online Right..
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    Another one who blames players, their desire and devs for doing what players ask. (In short, the types of things that players want are bad for the game. )

The problem is, again, (bad) band-aid fixes.

If you read the first solution (done by publishers), it's quite clear:
    the publisher wipes the table clean and starts the cycle over at zero with a new edition.
    His own solution:
    I can see one way out, and that's online Right..
    And players don't know what they want the problem that exists with giving players whatever they ask for is that players don't take into consideration overall balance of things, overall fun, or overall anything. Their view is centric on themselves and if something is not fun for them, it's usualy fixed by ruining someone else, or if something is fun, even if overpowered, then it should never be changed.

His conclusion isn't about online MMOs though, but the general feature bloat of products like this as a result of players always demanding more. Where for instance Quake never really gets more in its basic gameplay, but changes the maps around.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Again, players ask what they think is the best for them. They can be right or wrong, it doesn't matter.

In the end, it's developers' decision.
    blah

Quite sure I don't remember the entire playerbase crying out against the removal of arrival hall
    Thats what happens if you exist only on forums and havent log on since 1965.

I could see an MMO with a few balanced and meaninful professions, with simple and fun gameplay and an interesting gameworld, last a very long time with an evolving storyline. Not in the way that games like WoW do it, where everybody is a hero who changes something in the game world for 15 seconds until the NPCs reset, but with a planned and developed storyline that slowly changes with new expansions and patches.

AO was a successfull game when there was an interesting story being told. Compared to that, combined armor, intel symbs, Xan upgraded weapons, perks or extreme twinking gear are nothing, nothing at all.

And when the story is told, you just tell a new one. GIEF AO2 NAO!!!

And players don't know what they want the problem that exists with giving players whatever they ask for is that players don't take into consideration overall balance of things, overall fun, or overall anything. Their view is centric on themselves and if something is not fun for them, it's usualy fixed by ruining someone else, or if something is fun, even if overpowered, then it should never be changed.

His conclusion isn't about online MMOs though, but the general feature bloat of products like this as a result of players always demanding more. Where for instance Quake never really gets more in its basic gameplay, but changes the maps around.
    I entirely agree with you on this Masta. I did a pretty detailed piece about the BS level range changes and what people wanted and what happened when they got what they asked for, and then how they wanted them changed again because what they wanted didn't work.

Players think they know what is best, but it can often be worse because they don't have the whole scope of what the changes will do.

That said, people should express what they want to see happen, but have no expectations of the outcome. Expectations lead to disappointment because it will never be exactly what an individual wants it to be since changes are based on the game as a whole and not the individual. No one is ever going to like everything.

It's a precarious balance. I think FC does it well for the most part. Slips here and there, but you can't always see the full scope without setting the new rules in to practice. Meaning.. the test server won't always give the same outcome as live because the mindset between the two is very different. One will discover bugs the other won't, or find flaws the other won't that the masses will rip to shreds.

It all comes back to the adage, "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time".

Lincoln was a smart man
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MyGift View Post
    Soon tm last 4-5 years just trying extend that time by giving false promises that's proly the only plan FC has for AO...
    Since you seem so unhappy with AO can I have your stuff when you quit?

Quote Originally Posted by MyGift View Post
    We came to a point where engine release is so unbelievable that after 4-5 years of lies, now we are hoping for a engine video and aperently even thats too hard to ask. One cant stop thinking that AO team is just here to hold us as much as possible with bunch of promises which never come true.
    Can I have your stuff? Sounds like you plan to quit.

What I don't get is why you think those things are all untrue? I mean, would a company spend all that time coming up with these elaborate "lies" as you call them (a word that is incredibly hard and I think rather insulting as well and it's sad to see people throw around such insults in such a casual manner), just to lead people on and keep them paying? I find that highly unlikely.
    Hey no one asked for you logic here buddy, i'm tryin to get some unhappy players stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    It would be nice if people would just try to enjoy the game as it is; The way we've all enjoyed it for years.
    Hey again enough with all this logic!!! Will you let me score some more stuff first?

The only reason I still pay to play AO is get all the stuff from people who troll-ragequit. It is the easiest way to farm all the yesdrops! So stop tryin to be logical and let players QQ about AO as is and I promise I'll split the creds with you from all the loot I can collect from the cancelled subscriptions.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

And players don't know what they want
    Do you have any sort of evidence for that claim that you can present to us?

Orbital strike
    Borrow reflect
    GTH
    S10

It took a few of us a very short time to realize that the above (few examples) would be completely unbalanced and detramental to the game overall and we voiced our views quite loudly for a long time.

Then we gave up, waited, ppl quit in masses when they got tired of the 1 nano win button and NW basically didn't happen for 3 years, etc etc.

A few years later FC figures out the community was right and made the necessary changes and the effects were immidate for everyone to see. Clan broke a 3 year omni domination, soldiers started doing okay in BS again, docs too, and after the s10 nerf prices dropped like a rock*.

While many of the suggestions made here on the forums definitely are unrealistic and selfish that is not true for all of them. So making sweeping comments about all the players is wrong. There are many great ideas and thougths posted here. FC would do well if they tried to listen to them a little bit more.

*I am very much aware that the S10 nerf isn't the sole reason we see prices drop now.
    Last edited by Noobius76; Mar 16th, 2012 at 16:05:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    Do you have any sort og evidence for that claim that you can present to us?

Orbital strike
    Borrow reflect
    GTH
    S10

It took a few of us a very short time to realize that the above (few examples) would be completely unbalanced and detramental to the game overall and we voiced our views quite loudly for a long time. Then we gave up. Waited. Ppl quit when they got tired of the 1 nano win buttons. NW didn't happen for 3 years. Etc etc.

A few years later FC figures out the community was right and made the necessary changes and the effects were immidate for everyone to see. Clan broke a 3 year omni domination, soldiers started doing okay in BS again, docs too, and after the s10 nerf prices dropped like a rock*.

While many of the suggestions made here on the forums definitely are unrealistic and selfish that is not true for all of them. So making sweeping comments about all the players is wrong. There are many great ideas and thougths posted here. FC would do well if they tried to listen to them a little bit more.
    Ever hear of "exception to the rule"? I can only agree that FC are too slow to work back on bad decisions. Though the only really poor decision with S10 was adding those bounty drops there in the first place.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Is there a video yet?
    I really can't be bothered to read 23 pages, sorry.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IonButterfly View Post
    Is there a video yet?
    In a couple of days !
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by IonButterfly View Post
    Is there a video yet?
    Check back in a year or two and you might see a screenshot atleast.
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Quote Originally Posted by Thorneee View Post
    In a couple of days !
    Hey whats going on with the video that was supose to come out? Oh i forgot it will get done by 12.12.2012 and prob by then none will be able to see it :P cause the world is coming to the end off the brink just like AO..,

Ok Not sure if this is the right place for this - But is there Any chance that while you guys/girls are working on the graphic engine/ rebalance / startup area / server mess up etc.. that someone could spare 2mins to fix the door to the antiques n' such in bore so that when I run out I'm facing away from the door not looking at it! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by datch View Post
    ok not sure if this is the right place for this - but is there any chance that while you guys/girls are working on the graphic engine/ rebalance / startup area / server mess up etc.. that someone could spare 2mins to fix the door to the antiques n' such in bore so that when i run out i'm facing away from the door not looking at it! cheers
    omg bump!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugest View Post
    16.03.2012 .. lol
    We were told several weeks was the new deadline.
    The Red Brotherhood

Hopefully not too long, i guess engine and such estimated time is still "hopefully before the summer?"

We were told several weeks was the new deadline.
    by someone else than players ?
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
    I am one for the server migration! A fresh start to a server would be excellent. Part of me thinks a new server should = new toons. I know a lot of people who put a lot of time into characters would be annoyed but there's nothing wrong with a completely fresh start, it would make the exploration of rubi-ka and shadowlands so much more fun and would maybe stop AO from falling back into a powerlevel grind (hecks at shadowlands I mean) if old players returned.
    OMG are you mad if they do that a lot of people will not be happy and i for one will defoe not be happy if anything happenes to my toons i will kick off royal with the amount of time and effet put in to them and money as well
    Last edited by Anarrina; Mar 18th, 2012 at 03:53:24. Reason: fix broken quote tag

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast