Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sci-fi on TV

For TV worth watching, usually the premium channels do a better job than the normally broadcast ones. (I supposed this isn't really a surprise.) Stuff like The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos, The United States of Tara, Nurse Jackie - all pretty high quality stuff. These haven't really ventured into the realm of scifi yet (unless you count HBO's offering on vampires, True Blood), but HBO is turning one of my favorite fantasy series into a TV series soon.... The first book in Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, Game of Thrones starts in a couple of months. Its a series that doesn't really pull any punches, and I'm eager to see what HBO does with it.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    For TV worth watching, usually the premium channels do a better job than the normally broadcast ones. (I supposed this isn't really a surprise.) Stuff like The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos, The United States of Tara, Nurse Jackie - all pretty high quality stuff. These haven't really ventured into the realm of scifi yet (unless you count HBO's offering on vampires, True Blood), but HBO is turning one of my favorite fantasy series into a TV series soon.... The first book in Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, Game of Thrones starts in a couple of months. Its a series that doesn't really pull any punches, and I'm eager to see what HBO does with it.
    I haven't really seen any of the HBO series, however I have watched Band of Brothers when they did that. Amazing.

If they decided to venture into Sci-Fi, if these premium channels are as good as you say then its most likely worth a look if they do one.

P.S. True Blood doesn't count as Sci-Fi. Not only are vampires normally classified as fantasy, I have no respect for vampires anymore, not after twilight made them sparkly shiny. Just no.

I don't have any of the premium channels anymore since I stopped watching tv. I subscribe to what my cable company calls their expanded basic lineup and I wouldn't even be getting that if I could get my cable internet without a tv package.

I also forgot about Space: Above and Beyond. It was a kickass show.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

but HBO is turning one of my favorite fantasy series into a TV series soon.... The first book in Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, Game of Thrones starts in a couple of months. Its a series that doesn't really pull any punches, and I'm eager to see what HBO does with it.
    Wait, wut? For real? This may actually be worth tuning in for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rissa View Post
    I've pretty much given up on tv altogether and prefer to watch the few shows that are still worth watching on Netflix or Hulu.
    that^^

I don't have any of the premium channels anymore since I stopped watching tv. I subscribe to what my cable company calls their expanded basic lineup and I wouldn't even be getting that if I could get my cable internet without a tv package.
    and this^^

Hmm...maybe we need to hang out, Rissa?
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    that^^

and this^^

Hmm...maybe we need to hang out, Rissa?
    You're Omni, I'm Clan. It would never work

eh put your differences aside and sit on the fence for a day!
    This is my signature. Gaze upon its awesomeness and weep because yours can never be this awesome.

You're Omni, I'm Clan. It would never work
    Been there, done that if u'd like references. But it IS a blast while it lasts.
    <3
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    STV was sort of a "Lost in Space" remake with interesting characters and new aliens and cultures (and who didn't love 7 of 9?).
    I didnt, she was a plot cancer who had almost a whole series devoted to her, allegedly, becase she was shagging one of the producers. And really, Interesting characters? in the first series maybe before the Ramrod up the ass 'i'm never wrong' Schoolmarm Captain gave them each one of her 'i'm so dissapointed with you' speeches and they morphed into wooden, one dimensional cutouts (even, in fact, especially the Maquis).

/Rant off, I hated that show sooo much...
    Last edited by Neista; Feb 16th, 2011 at 16:03:08.
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    Wait, wut? For real? This may actually be worth tuning in for.
    Seriously for real.

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html

Watch the trailers there, they giving me shivers and pins and needles of impatience.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 16th, 2011 at 17:01:19.
    Coordinator Anarrina

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Seriously for real.

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html

Watch the trailers there, they giving me shivers and pins and needles of impatience.
    Do want.

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    I also forgot about Space: Above and Beyond. It was a kickass show.
    I thought that for a while too. And then I rewatched it after not having seen it since it first aired (nearly 15 years later) and I was appalled. Concept: A+, Execution: Abysmal. McQueen was the only solid character in the show and he was pretty 1 dimensional. Also, I wanted to strap down Hawkes and take a razor to his head
    Last edited by Mostadio; Feb 17th, 2011 at 08:00:56.
    Waiting for a cure.

Another casualty is Invasion. Whis is a good fix of about 22 ep's available on DVD.

But to keep it on topic and win the prize I present to you something ongoing called Pioneer One. An extremely interesting take on making a series and of surprisingly high quality.
    Semper Fi! Nuts since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostadio View Post
    I thought that for a while too. And then I rewatched it after not having seen it since it first aired (nearly 15 years later) and I was appalled. Concept: A+, Execution: Abysmal. McQueen was the only solid character in the show and he was pretty 1 dimensional. Also, I wanted to strap down Hawkes and take a razor to his head
    Even while watching it, I found it incredibly uneven. They veered wildly back and forth making this same squadron fighter jocks and ground-pounders, and they just couldn't make it work.
    Coordinator Anarrina

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

I haven't seen it since the late 90s, but I remember being entertained by it.

I chalked up the fighter pilots/ground soldier thing to the show not being capable of making diverse a cast of characters to pull off both.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

..no particular order

ST orig
    B5
    UFO
    BG

..and I admit to 2 hrs a day of LiS after gradeschool M-F

Does anyone remember The Starlost?
    Omegathree 220/70/30 doctor
    http://smu.gs/10VjCqh

Even while watching it, I found it incredibly uneven. They veered wildly back and forth making this same squadron fighter jocks and ground-pounders, and they just couldn't make it work.
    They justified it throughout the series on a lack of manpower. Even the pilots had to serve a role as infantry. But I get what you're saying.
    Waiting for a cure.

i found that hard to believe too..sorry..but you don't spend millions of dollars to train a pilot only to put him on the ground as a grunt.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast