Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - April 30th, 2010 - About the Future

Revamping old encounters + loot to today's standards.
    I think revamping everything from basic shop "junk" weapons to hollow island loot to modern standards should be a priority. So much of the game's content has been obsolete for years, and that's sad when you think about how much of it there is.
    Silnumtao 220 Doc
    Sebquantic 150 Agent

What i want :Profession bug-fixing and Revamping old encounters

What the game needs:New start-up experience.

Personally, I think you should start on revamping the startup area. People get their first impression of AO from that area and if they don't get a good vide, then they don't stay.
    Last edited by Regidoc; Apr 30th, 2010 at 15:16:19.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Heyas,

most important area to work on is the newbie island/arrival hall section.

regards
    /Z
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

I would prioritize like this:

New startup experience
    Alien Playfield below and above S10
    Revamping old encounters
    Professional Bug fixing
    Sending Kintaii to the Bahamas
    Beersoldier
    President, Private Playthings
    Omni, RK1

Heya Means

I'd really like to see a new endgame raidzone, along the lines on Pande.
    We've raided Pande for what 7 years now? Yes there is a lot of new stuff for us to do: APF + Sector 42, LoX, DB.
    However all these "new" additions are either instances, or takes a lot of planing (s42)

I think the instancing of Pande was the right thing to do, people need a kick in the ass, and I salute you for doing so.

The instancing of Pande was not a WIN/WIN situation, we gained freedom from the bots but lost one of the most important aspects of endgame PvM raiding, the Kill Team wars @ Beast.
    I know I'm not speaking only for my own Org here, but the loss of that competitive aspect made many people leave the game.

I suggest doing a open raidzone like Pande, but when it comes to the endboss make is so that only Team 1 from the Raid Interface gets warped into the Lair.
    Open it up for multiple RIs and we again have a KT situation.
    You can also give the forces outside tasks that needs to be done, to keep the boss kill team alive.
    Makes it more interactive, ofc it must be scalable to the raid force(s)

Also how about some new outdoors RK boss encounters, along the lines of Mercs.
    Come on Means I know your spidersenses tingle when you think of 30ft pink Mercs walking over RK!

Viz
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Perhaps this should be done as a poll as well? that way people can post their opinions but also we have some numbers that we can look at
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

The biggest thing as far as I am concerned, is the startup experience.

If there is one thing that I have always found lacking with AO, it is the fact that when you start, be it on the island, or formerly in the arrival halls, you have basically been dropped, on your own, into the game, with no guidance as to what to do next.

New players need their hands held, they need the floating questionmarks, the arrows to guide them, the little details that veterans ignore completely, but new players, truely new players, want to immerse themselves into.

Give them more chances to experience the backstory, the reasons for the clans, the omni oppression, the indifference of the ICC. Who cares if the graphics suck by today's standards, I remember clearly, when MMO's were glorified text-based adventure games (and god knows I wrote enough of them), there were no flash graphics, it was all about the content. The average player of AO is not an ADHD infected youth, but an intelligent, opinionated adult, who wants more from their gaming experience than "run to the left".

After that, and keeping it short..

TL3 AI opportunities
    Viable alternatives to Ely heck kite teams (wtb dark ruins for scheol)

Amonette 220 Soldier Nyrec 220 Agent Mekon 220 Crat Mekamara 220 Engineer
    ────────────────────────────────────────────
    Dark Front (Because the sun shines outta my....)

I don't care what you do next, I just want to know when we're getting that paid name change option you mentioned a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    New open PvP content + new BS maps.
    Long overdue imho and will put some much needed revitalization into the game. I'd love to see the crowd of people this would bring back into the game as well. I'm sure most everyone knows someone who was really into pvp and simply got bored and afked from game.

Look at NW as well, new towers and contracts maybe? Converting some of the massive lowbie fields to TL5 and TL7 would be nice and provide some breathing room for dominating factions. It also gives a bit of incentive to opposition since more fields up for grabs.

Please don't add any "orbital-like" changes that stupidly change the entire game overnight, for the worse. Just look at adding more content for both BS/NW.

Revamping old encounters + loot to today's standards. ie: Hollow Island
    etc etc.
    Big bump. I think everyone is ready to see HI, Merc Camp, Mantis Queen, Smugglers Den, Tarasque/Camelot, ect... revamped. Places like Smugglers Den/Mantis Queen have a TON of potential already there and not only will something like this improve content for older players but it provides new refurbished content for newer players.
    220/30/70 - Atrox Agent - Tinypain
    220/30/70 - Atrox Keeper - Ivekeeper
    220/25/70 - Atrox Fixer - Zedy
    220/30/70 - Solitus Soldier - Tequiila
    172/20/35 - Nanomage Agent - Nanocide
    Storm

AO endgame content is fun if you have teams...but until we get newer players who want to level to end game it will just keep dying off at the high levels.

As has been mentioned a few times the beginning and lower levels need alot of work to attact/keep new players. AO needs easier ways to get the weopons and creds needed after leaving newbie island. Useless items either need to give alot more creds as shopfood or to be gotten rid of since they just confuse new players. Being able to level without being trained by 220 outside team pocket tanks in aban/elly needs to be fixed [Having that happen a few times just turns people off to the whole AO experience]

It will also need advertising to attract new players. Alot of people think of AO as an old game or just have never heard of it..but as games go it really is unique and deserves more people to know about it.
    President of Pantheon

Shaylon 220/30/70 Opi Fixer
    Shaysknight 220/30/70 Opi Keeper
    Shevayne 220/22/70 NM Crat
    Shays 173/21 Opi MA
    Triageshay 150 Soli Doc

New bs map :>
    Eilistrae 220/30/70 MA equip pic //Araushne 216/30 NT equip pic // Nhaundar 220/30 pic equip // Ahlysaaria 220/30 equip
    Dritst 220/30 Agent equip pic // Vhaeraun 218/30 fixer // Dylinrae 217/30 trader // Seldszar 220/29 adv
    Nhaundar 216/16 Trox enf <3 equip

* http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=544974 <3 ty, how some ppl can be
    * S*rovi1: cant log in game funcom not responding Mrdex: they're translating Mrdex: give em some time.
    * Phante: whining is directly proportional with incompetence imo the more you sux the more youll cry and ask for stupid stuff.
    * [Provision]: 500m if you can even dent me You gained 103 PVP Solo Score.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    The Bahamas.
    Oh now here I was thinking small. I was just going to say "bankrolling GSP Dancers and DJ's trips to DragonCon." However, I must admit I like the the way you think, Brad!
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Red face

Ohohoho, I must be a part of this !

I read all the above and I do AGREE with all of them, tho I have no ideea who the heck is Kintaii, but alien PFs before and after 150 is a good ideea, again.
    Noobie island needs improving, so new players get a good feeling about the game and the whole speaking-voice-in-the-players-mind thingy for a good feel of the game.
    Old players should be kicked with a spanner into the game with some NW and competition, for all the pvpers out there !
    More unique dynas, old ones to pop(I haven't seen some of Tir ones ever in 4 years), pink mercs selling Coke and Hot-Dogs in cities, more camps like Merc one but with updated items (DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE FROOBS!!!).
    Game more lively.
    Isn't Xan civilation a story ? Nobody tryed to read it ??? ( I didn't, guitly as charged).
    New engine, plxkthksbye!
    Poket fixers for gsf.
    I hope nobody will hate me for posting this haha
    Also, This is going to be a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE thread. Have fun reading Means!
    Last edited by RoPoem; Apr 30th, 2010 at 15:36:18.

I'd love to see a new start up area as well that both explains the basics of the game to new players as well as gives a less transparent storyline. Any new person joining the game has a lot of history to catch up on and most of it is really hard to find. Along these lines this would actually be very beneficial at higher levels as well. I know I've been around since before Notum Wars was release and there is just a lot of information that I have forgotten or just never was able to find out.

I'd personally love to see more outdoor raid encounters introduced again and of course more outdoor PvP areas. That was something that I felt was disappointing when all the out in the middle of nowhere zones on Rubi-Ka suddenly jumped from 0% suppression to 75% suppression. Along these lines it might actually even be interesting to make an outdoor raid instance in a 0% suppression area.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.

Fix all the annoying stuff

With profession rebalance in the works, it appears that profession bug fixing could be redundant... So I wouldn't put high stakes into that before the rebalance is done. However, if old pesky profession bugs or god forbid, new ones should appear in the rebalance, then they should be quite high on the list.

New player experience obviously is important and should go hand in hand with the new engine. Here's a chance to become a much bigger player in the F2P MMO genre, and one of the best looking ones too.

Finally, some real insight. While revamping old encounters seems interesting, revamping old items appears to be a very lucrative thing to do. Who cares whether you're wearing Tech armor or Flowers armor, it's all junk. Similarly for 96% of RK weapons and 90% of SL weapons. Make them interesting - add stuff like really big damage but slow attack times, strange def checks, even combined MA on a ranged weapon ( ), whatever, just make them more viable and more interesting. Just upping the damage range on most junk weapons would make them semi-exciting. Besides armor and weapons, there's a heap of other currently noninteresting stuff.

However, based on what Kintaii said about the effort needed to modify old stuff in the databases, this may not be so simple as it sounds... But I'd really consider it.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

While we are currently very busy getting the Daily Mission/Collector update ready for release
    (...)
    This is where my question for this week comes in.
    (...)
    Good suggestions (that we are already looking into) include:
    Alien playfields at levels below and above Sector 10.
    New start-up experience.
    (...)
    On that note... how about adding to those two with daily missions?
    I think the daily missions are a good chance to be used early on by new players telling story and back stories as well as adding more depth to the first levels.

Also I'd love to see some daily missions that include clearing a manufacturing plant from alien invaders, and similar missions. Would help to make aliens more available at all level ranges, with or without city which is important for new players. It also would integrate the aliens more into regular leveling and the RK setting. Currently there's still a either/or kind of feeling.. you do RK, SL or Aliens. No and in there.
    Deadly Whisper - RK1
    too many alts for to little space

"What should we add next?"
    This...

New start-up experience.
    ...and this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpeline View Post
    A storyline to the game mabye?

Have a good weekend!
    Qianjin | martial artist | neutral | rubi-ka | shattered dreams (link!)
    Guifei | bureaucrat | neutral | rubi-ka | shattered dreams

and a few more lowbie alts

I think it would go great in this order

Finish Graphics Update (hint hint)
    New open PvP content + new BS maps.
    Profession bug-fixing.
    Alien playfields at levels below and above Sector 10.
    Revamping old encounters + loot to today's standards. ie: Hollow Island
    New start-up experience.

etc etc.
    Silentsnipr3 220/27/69 Martial Artist Equip
    Behehe 220/30/69 Enforcer Equip
    Barbqq 170/11 NT
    Flurryofcutz 166/17 Advy

Proud General of Shadowmercs

I too agree that the initial start up needs to be revamped. Imho, the ICC shuttle port really doesn’t prepare the new player for the AO experience. I would propose a tiered approach where the new player would advance though playfields representative of all AO has to offer (classic, NW, AI, LE, etc.) A smorgasbord if you will of the AO experience.

Thanks Means and Co. for asking the community what they want and for listening to us.
    You have not wasted your day if you have laughed at least once and learned at least one new thing. ~Jokzer

The way I see it, the loot, the levels, all the binary is temporary and can be lost at any time. The only permanent thing in the game are the people and the memories you make with them. ~Silq

~ Homeostasis ~ Proud member of ARETE ~RX~. 2001-2014 - It's been a wonderful journey! *hugs* from Homeo and her army of alts!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast