Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

i like the zoomed version of ring for the filigrees, but for the wearable ones i like to keep the orginial proportion as you did for most (skeleton, snake, nanotechnologic, etc ...).

the backpacks : your previous proposal, after remodeling the one that looked a little "trashcany", were really cool.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    first, I agree the 'Size' of the rings are consistent for the most part in AO. As for the 'Orientation' that is not the case, it seems almost every ring was rotated one way or another to fit each icon. (you can see a bit of this in the rings I placed in middle part of the backpack below)

Second, let's make a final decision on the filigree rings, in the sample below I have a 'full' ring resized to fit the 48x48 icon and the cropped version to show more detail. Which do you prefer?

Third, How about I go with the simplest way to give AO more backpacks for our sorting needs. I just make more icons that fit on the existing in-game design of the Large Backpack. (see the sample of some new backpack icons at the bottom of the image)

And here is the image referred to above..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Issues2Fix.jpg

Feedback, I need Feedback people, chop chop, stop lurking and post your comments.

Cheers!
    I like the one that still fits in the icon...feels more like AO. But I'll live with what people here would prefer to see.

I haven't forgotten about this...just waiting on the stupid documents. Anything done by people I can't physically smack can tend to take awhile :P
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

I prefer the Zoomed out rings where you can clearly see they are rings, the zoomed in version are nice for the detail but aren't immediately apparent that they are rings if you don't already know, minor detail but I prefer to see at a glance what an item is if possible.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

About the rings. To much nitpicking, both versions look fine. It doesnt look very AOish but that is because previous rings didnt look much like jewelery. To plain. I like your rings, they still fit with the general style of the other rings good enough and bring a new look that makes them easy to identify.

The backpacks arent the problem, the icons are. I would go with the old backpacks and concentrate on making bigger more diversified icons. Some of your backpack versions look very good, maybe they could be used for special backpacks or something? Just a thought.

Overall I like your work very much. Can I have your stuff?
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Ok, I did a bit more thinking on the backpacks, this is my most recent trend of thought...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ck_Sample3.jpg

The current large backpacks on the left, the new design to the right.

I tried to stay as close to the original as possible for the backpack, and made a slight twist on the icons. I also added a splash of color to the backpacks to give another layer eyecandy to help us sort our stuff.

Let me know what you think of this latest run through the backpacks, do you think they are good enough and don't clash too much with the old ones?

Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

those look pretty sweet too
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

Ok, I did a bit more thinking on the backpacks, this is my most recent trend of thought...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ck_Sample3.jpg

The current large backpacks on the left, the new design to the right.

I tried to stay as close to the original as possible for the backpack, and made a slight twist on the icons. I also added a splash of color to the backpacks to give another layer eyecandy to help us sort our stuff.

Let me know what you think of this latest run through the backpacks, do you think they are good enough and don't clash too much with the old ones?

Cheers!
    Best backpacks of the set, to be honest the Diamonds with the icon's inside are a lot clearer than the current ones, probably due to only having 2 colours, this is certainly a case where less is more.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

those backpacks are REALLY looking nice. totally in the original AO style with improvment. i'd just suggest a little more colors to make them less dull, may be repeat the band color in the icon background ?

just suggesting, but all the way they look pretty cool.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Who do we have to fire to get these sweet icons in :P (Just playing means) But heck with such great community effort I think this would be something Means you should work hard on. Why? Not just because of the free labor but also something that makes the community want to make AO more of a new but also personal feeling and will help attract more people and even people who want to help out with things like that.

Take Second Life for example. Diff game but still can see some ideas and examples on Linden Land Zones where people outside of Linden Labs help out and do amazing jobs.

Take it from someone with lots of experience and love for indy type games that this will not of course make you a indy game but will bring in new people and some the old ones back if this expands more then just icons

What you do in return? Simple credit page on the site and also helps that person on their personal resume for say a future job with you or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane-Hart2 View Post
    Take Second Life for example. Diff game but still can see some ideas and examples on Linden Land Zones where people outside of Linden Labs help out and do amazing jobs.
    Please don't.

Not because the user content is bad but because LL has screwing over their customers down to an artform.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Please don't.

Not because the user content is bad but because LL has screwing over their customers down to an artform.
    there is a difference between this idea and LL's ways and annoyance. There was a time it was a good company

But that is not the point at all.

Those new backpack desings have the flaw that they aren't identifiable by the color in the list mode. I like the new "marker" shape but the window isn't clearly identifiable and imo not even nessessary. Those new bottom corner markers combined with the old backpack design and colors could possible work.

If I'd have to pick I would still go with the previous simple design. It was simple, working, familiar to everyone and still improved.
    Berim, Lacian, Greyd, Misterburns, Techro and Hockenberry

Quote Originally Posted by Berim View Post
    Those new backpack desings have the flaw that they aren't identifiable by the color in the list mode. I like the new "marker" shape but the window isn't clearly identifiable and imo not even nessessary. Those new bottom corner markers combined with the old backpack design and colors could possible work.

If I'd have to pick I would still go with the previous simple design. It was simple, working, familiar to everyone and still improved.
    Hmmm, in my opinion the icons in list mode are less than useful. In list mode you're reading the backpack names not relying on the icon to let you know what backpack it is. some people (like me) do not bother to rename their backpacks, it's like too much work dude lol. So having the 'icon' more distinct, and with more sort icons in the botton left of the backpack will work.

Cheers!

Definitely liking the lastest set of backpacks. It's nice to have a new design and I'd rather see some different stuff from just an expansion on the old.
    Still waiting for Ultimate Ofab Armor!

Definition of penultimate - next to the last

Opinions:

Fully visible (unzoomed) rings are better. I've never been a fan of cropped icons, like garden keys. The zoom factor isn't really that huge anyway - if you want to make the different types of gems more clearly recognizable, give them a few different cuts.

Latest backpacks look nice. I figured out one common factor I've liked about several of the sets: monochrome icons. The original ones look like they're straight out of a children's coloring book, not something you'd find in a cyberpunk world like AO. I think there should be some sort of logic with the color stripes, but can't come up with ideas of what it should be.

Still waiting for my Spirit infuse yuttos, normal yuttos ncu, viral recompiler, RK recompiler, infuse recompiler
    Ceenah 220/30/66 PvM NT @ Newcomers Alliance
    Eeenah 199/0 Froob NT @ Newcomers Alliance

Hmmm, in my opinion the icons in list mode are less than useful. In list mode you're reading the backpack names not relying on the icon to let you know what backpack it is. some people (like me) do not bother to rename their backpacks, it's like too much work dude lol. So having the 'icon' more distinct, and with more sort icons in the botton left of the backpack will work.

Cheers!
    The colors are less usefull in list mode but far from useless. I certainly appreciated them when I re-cataloged all my toons with aoia and they are a great help otherwise too. My engi finds the implant backpacks by the color (blue) or anything medical is marked with the red cross. If it's bright red (trash one) it's filled with ncus, compilers and such. If it's white and has that plane in it it's part of a startup buffing imp package for a new toon.
    Berim, Lacian, Greyd, Misterburns, Techro and Hockenberry

Ok, I need more feedback,.. doing some tests with coloring the backpacks, to help make them even more distinguishable.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...k_Colors01.png

Note, the plan is now to stamp the mini id icon on top of the backpack directly, like the 3 medical backpacks I did to show this.

Let me know if this is a step in the right direction.

Cheers!

P.S. just for fun I made a Red-White-Blue Backpack and a Black-Red-Yellow one. care to guess what ran through my mind when I did that? LOL

Edit: oh and I just saved my work screen as a .png, sorry if it annoys you, I can place them on my default backpack underlay if you want.

P.S. just for fun I made a Red-White-Blue Backpack and a Black-Red-Yellow one. care to guess what ran through my mind when I did that? LOL
    UK vs Germany football apparently
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

i think the ones in post 666 still looks better
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

Page 34 of 67 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast