Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips & Tricks in the AO GUI

Quote Originally Posted by theobelisk View Post
    my thread title nerfed!
    some nice goodies though.

bump
    You made the thread, so now you have to edit your original post and put all the tips people are listing into it and in a nice orderly way!

And if the thread did grow it could get stickied, then you could take credit for a stickied thread ^.^

Seriously though, you should take the time to do that. I'm sure it would prove useful to allot of players, some new and some not so new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    I once got petitioned for "impersonating FC personal" for claiming I ran helpbot.

I like this thread because I play on a laptop, most of my time without a physical mouse (yes), so I try to do as much as humanly possible with my keyboard in order to accomplish things as quickly as possible.

Alt+1, 2... to switch between multiple Hotbars

Shift+1, 2... to scroll between different #s on a specific hotbar

Cntrl+Shift+T to open Tradeskill window

Cntrl+R I believe for LFT window

Shift+R to respond to last person you chatted with

Press Enter then Shift+Arrow up/Down to see the last messages you've sent. Great for sending messages to multiple shopping channels or similar messages in different zones or to different people

Press Enter then Tab to Shift+Arrow up/Down among the chat channels in a chat window. Enter to select a new one

Click on name of a Chat window or Person to speak to that channel/person

/lft Looking for Inferno mission! for instance. Sometimes I've found it to be a little unreliable though, so I usually just manually enter in a specific LFT message

Cntrl+Click or Alt+Click or Shift+Click on an arrow in the IP menu, doesn't matter (I only knew of shift and cntrl until this thread came around!)

I think it's /open pet or /pet open to get to the pet window. Something like that. Haven't played a pet prof in a while. Definitely some command so you don't need those ugly wings.

/reclaim to open your reclaim if you've been gone for 4-5 years heh

I know there's more. I haven't played since August, but I'll be back in a week so I'll stumble across old tricks I used soon enough
    Ruffixx, 220/30/66 Omni Opifex Fixer
    Pugilius, 206/30/49 Omni Opifex MA
    Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
    Medor, 199/23/42 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Vindicius, 189/20/46 Omni Atrox Enforcer
    Evilrilius, 100/10 Omni Nano MP - Foremans Killing Machine

Proud General of Obsidian Order

Quote Originally Posted by Shonta View Post
    You made the thread, so now you have to edit your original post and put all the tips people are listing into it and in a nice orderly way!

And if the thread did grow it could get stickied, then you could take credit for a stickied thread ^.^

Seriously though, you should take the time to do that. I'm sure it would prove useful to allot of players, some new and some not so new.
    with great threads come great responsibility. i accept the challenge. once im home ill organize this list.
    Brutalthug16 - Resident Testlive Noobie
    Hellrule - RK1 crat
    Hellhealer - RK1 doc

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Click on the name of a channel in your chat window (just like with characters names) such as raid, OOC, shopping channel, guild chat or so on in order to switch to that channel. That way you don't have to right click the chat window and navigate menus to
    or just type /ch <first few letters of channel name> if u cba to take ur hands off the keyboard, also hitting / key above ur numpad saves u from hitting enter to type

another chat related thingy is shift+up/down while chat window is active, it lets u scroll through the stuff u recently typed, gr8 for spamming!

Knew all of those, really. There's prolly loads of small things you can do to make it a bit easier for you though. Like if you ever forget a script name in chatbox, just hit return (so you can start typing) and then tab.

If you had a scriped called 'Iloveyouent'

you'd type /ilo<tab> and it'd bring up every script starting Ilo - including Iloveyouent and Ilovecookies.
    214/20 Adv - Entventurer
    217+ Engi - Entity206
    220/20 Doc - Entagain
    220 Shade - Reali
    Orgless & Stripped.
    Awesome tradeskillers.

List mode.

Everyone should know that list mode and undocked window is the only way to view shop contents without losing your mind. Use the little "i" in the top left corner. I'm constantly amazed at how many people don't know about this.

Undock the shop window from the right by right-clicking on its name and drop it somewhere else. Of course these tips work for many other windows too.

Great tips for keyboard shortcuts btw.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Handy thing if you're running around for buffs:

/tell %t opens a tell window to the selected person.

That saves you typing / copy & paste the name of the toon.
    I set up a macro on most of my toons for this:

/macro tell /tell %t

One click away from "Canhassfaicfgesbeheirctnscompsplx?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tikra View Post

/macro tell /tell %t

That's quite handy and I didn't really know that %t worked for the /tell NAME command

I'm gonna have to make that macro myself
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Click on the name of a channel in your chat window (just like with characters names) such as raid, OOC, shopping channel, guild chat or so on in order to switch to that channel. That way you don't have to right click the chat window and navigate menus to switch channel.
    Can also hit enter to activate the chat bar, hit tab, and a dropdown menu of all the channels you're subscribed to will appear. Hit the first letter of the one you want and then hit enter again, quick mouseless change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikra View Post

/macro tell /tell %t

You made a typo in 'ICRT'.

The shortcut to LFT isn't CTRL-R, but CTRL-F.
    You can get to the raid interface with CTRL-ALT-R.
    Planetmap is nicely placed on P, and if you log in to see a dark minimap, press CTRL-6 twice to close and reopen it at which point it'll be fine.
    Changing your inventory to list mode is great for spamming right-clicks on stuff like Tier armor that needs to be levelled, or for making tons of Blood Plasma from Monster Parts.
    /open pet, /open faction, /open InsertWindowTitleHere
    The froobs know something the 220s have forgotten: Use your minimap to check the side of the mob you're attacking (neut, omni, clan, monster). You CAN shootpull a monster from a group of unredeemed etc.
    E 'uses' a targeted item.
    F1 targets yourself, but pressing it again will return your target to what you had before pressing F1. Useful for healing yourself while soloing.
    Moonleg, 220 Adventurer and never levelling again!
    Fixored, 167 gridrunner
    Lunarblade, 94 honorable keeper.
    Lavan, 115 pretty-boy doctor that needs more levels.
    Moonatic, 117 tinkerer of gizmos.
    Fortehwin, 211 shadow-creeper. With glowsticks.
    Ammoonium, 108 NT gimpz0r.
    Dingbot, 100 XP-stick.
    Runalot,169 freexer.
    Horsehumper, 36 hor ... I mean, fist-fighter.
    Debuff, 46 wrangle-giver.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonleg View Post
    F1 targets yourself, but pressing it again will return your target to what you had before pressing F1. Useful for healing yourself while soloing.
    F2-F6 target your team members.

Shift F1 targets your first pet, Shift F2 the 2nd, Id guess the limit is Shift F3.

Accessing the Research window is either via R or Shift O (i have yet to find out why but it sometimes varies by account even on the same PC).
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonleg View Post
    The shortcut to LFT isn't CTRL-R, but CTRL-F.
    You can get to the raid interface with CTRL-ALT-R.
    Shift-F and Shift-CTRL-R are my shortcuts. But perhaps it might vary from installation to installation, such as research being either Shift-O or R ^_^
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

IDDQD and IDKFA!
    (just kidding)

Oldschool codes for doom
    Veteran of Equilibrium

IDDQD and IDKFA!
    (just kidding)

Oldschool codes for doom
    Ye gods that's a flashback & a half there !
    Club Doom perhaps ? (it's been a year or two & I've slept since then )
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Hmm, didn't know about Alt-Enter yet .

You can put items on hotbars which has the same effect as right-clicking them: first-aid kits can heal, rings can fire procs, sunglasses can equip/unequip, backpacks can open/close,...

Esc clears the message you were typing and deselects the active window so that you can use your keyboard for battle again. In a tell-window you get the deselect effect without the clear effect.

I guess it's not really useful not mention the things showing up under the "hotkeys" tab in options in game (F10). And remember that you can change your hotkeys (for example: I have my button for AS very close to my movement buttons now :P).

CTRL+ALT+F shows frame rate in right upper corner. (I always forget which of the shift/alt/ctrl buttons is the right combination, so it might be 2 other ones ).

NCU-window: select "list-mode" under the "i". Drag it away from the right panel for a while so that you can make it broader. You can see that there also is a "Remain" and a "NCU" column in there. I always drag those to the front and then connect the window back to the right panel. This way you can easily see what buff is about to run out and which one is taking a lot of NCU. You can sort it by clicking on "remain" so that you can easily see what buff will be the first to run out.

Nano/Fighting Target NCU: Since recently you can select "Show Nano Target NCU Window" and/or "Show Fighting Target NCU Window" under options. Here you can also drag the "remain" to the front so you can see it easily; to do this a buff must be running on the target, and for the 'fighting' one you also must be in attack-mode towards your target. You can ALT-RightClick these windows to make them invisible (so that only the (de)buffs can be seen, but not the window itself)!
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

alot of this stuff needs to be added to the AO Wiki, anyone willing.

could be added to expand the http://wiki.aodevs.com/wiki/User_Interface page.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

wow Edta had some great tricks!

Now I'm going to feel even worse when I have to mash her froobiness at BS.

When shopping from the GMS & arriving at the city shop, turning on Show All Names from the F10 menu settings will show the terminal your item is in in nice big green letters. Makes hunting thru player shops a breeze. Just be sure to highlight the item in the gms first & jobs a good'un
    Last edited by mettagirl; Dec 8th, 2009 at 20:22:50. Reason: typo
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

IDDQD and IDKFA!
    (just kidding)

Oldschool codes for doom
    godmode and give all items/ammo/weapons respectively, if I'm not mistaken
    Scene :: Meta-Physicist :: 220/30/70
    Scenetoo :: Trader :: 204/28/52
    Scentinal :: Enforcer :: 165/22/33
    Scenato :: Keeper :: 136/16/25

AO Universe - by players, for players :: former general of Omni-Pol

type into chat window infront of your text to type in these channels:
    /v = vicinity chat
    / = vicinity also
    /t - team chat
    /s - shout
    /w - whisper
    /me - talk in 3rd person/purple
    /say - only you can see this, in yellow same as vicinity
    /o - org chat

- typing /fxscript tweak rubi-ka_sunlight #
    will change the annoying light effects in inf/pen/pande/ai zones/ado water effect BEWARE crashes le missions

- right clicking on hotbars allows you to rotate them vertical, takes less screen space.

- rename backpacks by clicking i in corner of window, known by most, but really improves your playing if you didn't know this.
    Last edited by MassDebater; Dec 9th, 2009 at 01:49:42.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast