Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - August 28th, 2009 - The joys of jetlag

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin View Post
    Also...how about sex change for plastic surgery option?????
    Bump

I'd personally like to have a rotating schedule of various members of the Dev team taking shots at the "Friday with.." segments so they can share some of their own personal expertise's perspective with us on the various topics. Anyway, nice job on the head can't wait to see what else is coming in the near future rock on.

Please, please, WTB some news /decisions regarding prof balancing (keepers in particular). Kentaii said something about them arguing about it in the office, soooo maybe you could hear their thoughts out, Means, and work with that issue as well?
    Miscalced - 207/16 Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    With time and work on the new engine we have finally been forced to update the AO codebase from Visual Studio 2003 to 2005 (for intergration work with the Dreamworld engine.). This is creating some client instability we would REALLY like to resolve before the update makes it to live.
    *shudder* My words of advice, link statically!!

Quote Originally Posted by madridd View Post
    IDE are for the weak. VIM is all you need ;0
    Wuss!! all you need is "copy con" in a cmd box.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin View Post
    IDE are for the weak. VI is all you need ;0
    Fixed that...
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

With time and work on the new engine we have finally been forced to update the AO codebase from Visual Studio 2003 to 2005 (for intergration work with the Dreamworld engine.).
    But... it's 2009?

-------
    Kimbeam, anamolly, ninaperson.

pyow.

-------

Dreamworld 2.0 doesn't support vs2008 (macro bitched about this, and bitched when 2005 crahed his system right after install)
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by madridd View Post
    IDE are for the weak. VIM is all you need ;0
    VIM?

ed :P

I really enjoyed reading Kintaii's reports these last few weeks.

So my list of pronouncements is as follows:

Last weeks manga armor - DISAPPROVE
    This weeks Opi Head - APPROVE
    Kintaii assuming Means role in reporting to the community on Fridays- APPROVE
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Talking

been seening a lot of cool head upcoming grahics..but where's the body?...oh wait..nvm..must be an anime/superdeform thingy...big head..little stick body ^_=
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Omfg wtb superdeformed player mode!
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Edit: MstrBstrd requested I link this "Cyberpunk enough for ya" work-in-progress Opi head image.
    No... no its not :P

Some small blue and red LED decoration on the hair bands and some ear shinys and perhaps

With that said, I do like it, its a lot better then last weeks shiny person picture, and im sure it will look great when its finished :P

i actually liked the slightly manga gundam destiny armour. ****e the game up just a lilttle give it some variety even for social

I typically love all of the work the artists do. I even liked the wacky armor from last week. But when I saw this new opi head I thought for sure it had to be April 1st. Then I checked my calendar and saw it was not. C'mon, seriously... it's not a joke? She looks like a female punk rock bodybuilder from 1980. If this is for real, MstrBstrd please do not be offended. I love the other 99% of your work! :P
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
    -Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Phuriae View Post
    I typically love all of the work the artists do. I even liked the wacky armor from last week. But when I saw this new opi head I thought for sure it had to be April 1st. Then I checked my calendar and saw it was not. C'mon, seriously... it's not a joke? She looks like a female punk rock bodybuilder from 1980. If this is for real, MstrBstrd please do not be offended. I love the other 99% of your work! :P
    It was more for the "QQ AO needz moar cyb0rpunk style QQ" crowd. I for one, just think it looks ridiculous. Last week's armor was cool.

This is exactly why sometimes listening to the community isn't very smart. Not everyone is going to like everything they put in game. Just let them do their jobs and if you don't like it, don't wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    Means,
    :Methodology:
    Organize Testing Days where BHs/Arks/GMs are on test to assist the testers at listed prearranged times. These times need to be advertised in the Forum (not the closed tester forum that even those of us with enough poits cant seem to get into) and in the Launcher. This should be viewed as a community EVENT. There should be at 3 test days in a week. These should be active testing times. Either directed testing or free form testing, the idea is that all the help needed is available and that there is some kind of incentive reward for doing it. After all, WE are already PAYING to play. We are not going to pay you to TEST. Instead you need to PAY US.
    Some users are willing to pay to beta test, due to a variety of reasons. These include feelings of importance (I must be very important since they're allowing me to test), getting to use new features before others or becoming familiar with new features in advance.

Your ideas are pretty solid in general, though.

I'd like to come on test but I'll wait at least 'til the next build or so. Would be awful for all of us to be reporting already found issues again.

Finally, as a researcher of software engineering, it's interesting to be a sort of semi-participating observer via the forums and the game on how bug reports, feature requests and beta testing are worked on
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Gundams are hard to fit sure we have mechs, but not gundams so dressing up as them is teh sux

Punks fit quite easily, theres plenty of places in AO that are fairly punkish, heck most opi hairstyles are already rather punk :P

File Type: jpg opifem_workinprogress_v001.jpg (219.0 KB, 556 views)
    I see your team has been playing WoW again...

-Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

I have a slight problem. All these new atrox/nanomage/opifex heads are great but uh...there's more pressing issues at hand...I realize I'm just a random noob with no experience/knowledge of anything, but is this a bad time to ask Means nicely what his number 1 priority is? Out of:

-The new nightclub
    -The new exp quests
    -Redesigning character models
    -New game engine
    -Prof balancing/tweaking/new prof specific 2he perks/aura love/ (Is this getting too intense?)
    -Other?

Does funcom really have enough personnel alotted to anarchy to be able to not prioritize and instead sort of work on all these things at the same time?
    Miscalced - 207/16 Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    Means,
    We need to be able to test on test if we are going to help you test.
    QFT!

Test SUCKS, Funcom why don't you help us test instead of insisting we grind to test stuff so that we can grind it again on Live!!

The whole basis of testing is to test, not to work up to where you can test or run through the program from start to end. When you want to test function 515 you load the program at 515 and test; you don't start it at 1 and tell people they have to work through it each time you change something. Do you test things that way in office? (Maybe this explains the massive delay of LE...) Why do you expect free testers who are donating their time to you to do it that way?

You have the power on Test (and on Live but nobody should expect shortcuts there) to make things easier, help out instead of hiding behind this veil of propriety. You can jump people levels up and down, you can give items, you can give anything you want. Jump people to Function 515 and let them loose, they'll get the instance or zone or boss fight or w/e done and can tell you how it acts and what they think of it.

Expecting people to spend hours and hours on Test (that they could be spending on Live getting their moneys worth) working towards testing is asinine when you can jump them straight to testing.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast