Thread: Newbie Island clearance

Will admit early last year I did upgrade my account for the sake of having the AI weps on the island cause I saw an uber big Clan Enforcer running around with a 2hb Kyr.

My though: "I gotta be like that"

For the sake of AO's prosperity, FIX THIS FUNCOM!!!
    Xaislain (212/19) Opifex Saviour

i think this suggestion is bad.

newby island is hard lagged place and if peoples be farm alien weapons this place be lagged more hard.

This place for AO gameplay education, but not for farm
    The Clan Messiah statement
    You hit Nirvelle with nanobots for 7110365 points of radiation damage.
    Alternity: I never initiated a serious dialog

"... who are you, then?"
    "I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good" (c) Goethe

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\| ||\____
    |.............Vodka-Vodka..........| ||','''|'''''''\____,
    |_______..... _________________| ||__|'__|_____||<
    '''''(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''**|(@)(@)******| (@)*

Don't forget, that mainland changed too.
    New weapons (OFAB) are better. Low-lvl AXP can be gained through LE missions. With implants and better armours, it's a lot easier. So, give me a reason to farm ql 12 AI 2HE swords? A REAL reason?
    Yes, lowbies can farm lvl 15 and AI3 there. They did it before, they will do it after.

Lag is part of AO, so 'educational' function of NI is ok there.
    But lack of AI stuff "you can smell it, you can't use it" does not show the people the 'better world'. People are not buying expantions cause they don't feel a need to do it. They don't understand why they should. When people see this stuff again? People with SL go to SL, they're rarely coming to RK. Froobs don't SEE the difference! And, as result, FC loses money and AO missing people.

1. Give AI weapons back, "Just to show people the difference".
    2. Put implants/rings/bracers/nano-disks/NCU's back to drop-table.
    3. Make some boss dropping symbiants. "Just to show people the difference".
    4. Add weapons to boss drop-table. It's only armours there ATM. Teach the newcomers, that bosses can drop everything.
    5. Significantly improve 'Keeper sword' in vendor's shop, and make it 'Nodrop' & 'keeper only'. Yes, keepers can't go NI. But for the show, it will work.
    6. Put a 'broken implant clinic' in shuttlesport. (allows imps, does not buff treatment') Newbs need to know what it looks like. (Maybe add 'Fix machine' quest)

Think about it.

Stand in WA or Bore near teleport point, look at newcomers. You can see their brains boiling.
    So, NI isn't that 'educational' as it should be.

FIX PLZ.
    Last edited by Elsix; Aug 16th, 2007 at 10:58:54.
    220/22 Clan NM/Engineer
    220/27 Clan Soli/Doctor
    ... and some others.

Enormous bank-sell. You ask it - I have it. (most probably)

Quote Originally Posted by Elsix View Post
    Don't forget, that mainland changed too.
    New weapons (OFAB) are better. Low-lvl AXP can be gained through LE missions. With implants and better armours, it's a lot easier. So, give me a reason to farm ql 12 AI 2HE swords? A REAL reason?
    Yes, lowbies can farm lvl 15 and AI3 there. They did it before, they will do it after.
    and with LE you can get AI3 as you hit 15. way much easier than on newbie island. that area was great for learning the game a coupple of years ago.
    I got suprised to see what had happend there. I got NO reason for getting anything. there. As it is now plz give me a chance to skip it alltogether and zone stright to RK. But I sincerily hope you dont do this because you can learn much from newbie island when you start out as a new player.
    I remember learning much from other players there.
    I found some friends helping get AI gear from AI mobs. Doc to heal and we was learning that together we would be a much greater force than alone. ofcourse it was fun soloing everything. As it is now I still like to solo hard mobs.
    Plz put some of the loot back.
    This also provided a good metod for shades and keepers to get hold of some cool lowbie AI gear. Now this gear is almost imposible to get hold of. But it still exist.

Plz give me a reason to stay there. I probably end up helping a froob or an new guy in the prosess. As it is now I feel unwanted there. not by mobs but how it is. I would like the "fun" part back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavritanic View Post
    i think this suggestion is bad.

newby island is hard lagged place and if peoples be farm alien weapons this place be lagged more hard.

This place for AO gameplay education, but not for farm
    Aside of the server lag I barely ever lag on Anarchy Online. Farming has always been a part of AO, if you can't do in on Newbie Island then how are you going to be prepared for the mainland?

Hint; get an up to date computer.

Smile

yea on newbie island i used to be happy as larry walking about killing stuff chilling out collecting nice loot then when i finnaly get ai i lvl up go to aliens be all excited new paid account kill aliens hopeing a nice sword will drop when i was told they removed all the stuff and then u brought in new newbie island with crappy shells and u even removed take me to the shop! they were the best lol now to buy my startup pack of nanos for like 1.5k i struggle to make 1.5k!!! because everything on the island is so crap it sells for nothing and its no fun anymore and tbh i wanna make a new char but i hate newbie island so much it sucks alot so i dont make a new char so yeh please bring back the good old island as it was itl be alot more fun guys

Nothing, I say nothing... is more awesome than running around with a Kyr weapon, OR froob dyna weapon like the Division 9 on Newbie Island.

I guess everyone is giveing up coz this nearly got to page 3 Ill give it a bump anyway.
    Ramorth - Keeper
    Mementha - MP Rk2

Best AO Vid Ever!

So what? We got over a hundred voices.

Unheard ones me thinks.
    Ramorth - Keeper
    Mementha - MP Rk2

Best AO Vid Ever!

And were at page 3 again. Wake me up when FC actually reply.
    Ramorth - Keeper
    Mementha - MP Rk2

Best AO Vid Ever!

Well it was before i posted
    Ramorth - Keeper
    Mementha - MP Rk2

Best AO Vid Ever!

Well, then post here more often.

I do. I try to keep it from going into page 3.
    Ramorth - Keeper
    Mementha - MP Rk2

Best AO Vid Ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Comments:

Entry hall going baffles me. Change it so you have a half screen window looking onto a battlestation! Promote LE etc.
    New NPC missions are good. Thumbs up.
    Generic shop food items are bad - realism crashes when you get items saying "shopfood" not "obviously valuable Sci-Fiction items best try and sell them". Its semantics, but kinda important, unless you go the comedy route and have "Giant Space Rats" to level off (its been done). Fixed!
    Placement of Zixx (or rather, re-naming of old spawn, I never got AXP off them originally, had to kill soldiers) is illogical, and anti-climactic. OH SCARY... bugs. Randomly mixed in with trash collectors etc. At least put in a half-crashed ship into the dock area that they're scuttling out of, so players can see that they're ALIENS.
    Nano packs are still oddly placed, hard to find and up to the player ~ there should be a NPC (decked out NT perhaps) standing there to explain them. Takes no time to knock out some explanatory dialogue. And the console should be SF and not look like a wall decoration. Fixed!
    Somewhere there should be a double- portal to SL, which you can 'look through' to see the great scenery. i.e. you walk through it as a fr00b, but a jobe person (tier 2-3 please!) steps forward in the entry area (as you gawp around the floating islands) and says "you need to have Jobe Explorer credentials, blah, blah to enter the shadowlands". For SL owners, the portal on the other side of the waiting area goes to the SL one (which they should be allowed to switch through, finding the Jobe portal as a newbie is pretty difficult, esp. in OA).
    Mission terminals. It should have one!
    For paying customers (re-rolling X thousand times) you could always have an option "disable shuttle crash" where the new toon is dumped straight in the city of your choice.

Quoting myself since someone listened and implemented a couple of them

Bump for some mecs patrolling the upper levels! Broken down Mec NPC: 'The alien ship fired on us!! We're trying to get the shielding device working again, but with no luck! Perhaps you could talk to <insert sided LE NPC in OA / Omni / Bor> when you get to the mainland to see how mecs work? Here's a communicator so we can get his advice' or 'Sorry, I'm afraid you can't help us, you lack the proper clearance to provide mec support'
    Bump for entrance hall with big window showing a Battle Station!
    Bump for SL portal to jobe!
    Bump for trainer mission terminal with NPC saying 'roll a mish' (and only have two to do). These should give 100-200k total, to prevent the utter poorness of being a newbie. Quote of the week: 'OMG you gave me 500k!!! I'm RICH!!11!'
    Bump for crashed alium ship in the water off the dock where zixx are coming from!

Some other suggestions:

Info terminal / NPC - with as much back story and updated event style stuff as you can manage.
    Large scale maps of Bor / OA / Omni as you exit the newbie island with useful descriptions. 'You are here'. 'Mission terminals' 'Shops' etc Quote of the week 'I wish this place wasn't so huge, I've no idea where to go!'
    Implant clinic with NPC who explains implants - plus small mish to get a class specific set of 3-5 crappy imps (say ql10-15). First time I played, I was level 25ish before I worked out where implants were, and could afford them.

Double, triple bump for chat window GUI to start off nicely organised into windows. This is the no.1 bugbear - newbies not being able to communicate properly.
    Last edited by Pip; Aug 20th, 2007 at 12:06:39.

Yeah, the above post is long with a lot of good ideas. The fact that Pip can come up with so many decent suggestions for improvements reinforces what I've thought for a while now. FC needs to not only restore NI, but redo it.

NI should be a microcosm of AO, and it is, at present, missing a lot of content. Key items that the starter island fails to introduce:

-Expansion content (let's at least breach the subject, it was done nicely with the AI drops)
    -Implants (there was a "broken treatement terminal" idea somewhere in this thread. Nice. At least have some random ones drop)
    -Diversify drops to educate players on more possibilities
    -PvP. Don't actually include it, but have NPC's reinforce the idea of conflict a bit more. Perhaps there could be a quest for a few VP's that would buy a "lOw-fab" gun.
    -The Backpack quest. If you want to sell me a backpack, fine. But don't make me camp for what COULD be hours for something I get for next to nothing.
    -Team Roles. Low levels are good "solo" levels, but what if an NPC gave a brief overview of YOUR role in a team? There's a small chance that a player might remember it when it's time for totw or ely hecks or foremans or whatever... "Doctor... your role is to HEAL the TANK. Enforcer... USE MONGO. Engineer... if there is not a robot following you, something has gone wrong."
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

People that own the LE expansion should be able to get ql. 1 OFAB weapons representing to their class as a starter's weapon?

bumpity-bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfekt View Post
    HEALTH WARNING: This reply was made on equipment that also produces sarcasm. Reply may contain bits of sarcasm as a result.
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Please give us solo LE missions, FC
    Xaun's Big List O Suggestions

Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast