Thread: Deflect - staying on strong/cm/cc armor?

Deflect - staying on strong/cm/cc armor?

Will deflect replace parry 100% by staying on strong armor and any ai combined incorporating
    Strong armor.

Fc highlighted in the notes that its not a melee exclusive thing.
    So will it be swapped to observant as its a defence skill?

Anyone from TL clarify?
    SilentSlash 220 Solitus Shade
    SilentSlashy 220 Atrox Shade
    Rarara 220 Solitus Crat
    Kinkypron 220 Solitus cyb0rEngi
    Nerfuuu 220 Atrox TS-Trader
    also FT. taxslash 200 crat / darkblu 150 fixer / freetrial 101 - fgrid biattch

I'm Back... again ^_^!

Deflect replaces Parry everywhere. If the requirement was Parry it now is Deflect. If the buff was for Parry it is now Deflect. I have not yet found anywhere that it is not a direct replacement. It is my understanding that the they did not create a new skill Deflect and delete the Parry skill with but instead renamed Parry to Deflect and changed the mechanics on the backend. Otherwise they would have had to set the skill on every mob in the game. That is not a simple task but because it is actually a renamed Parry the mob part was automatic for them. This has left us with mobs that have stupid high Deflect skill. That is a leftover from the days of them trying to get the old Parry skill working.
    Last edited by Lheann; Aug 8th, 2014 at 19:26:46.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    It is my understanding that the they did not create a new skill Deflect and delete the Parry skill with but instead renamed Parry to Deflect and changed the mechanics on the backend.
    Indeed. And this is a minor headache to me, because now I have to version stat names.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    Indeed. And this is a minor headache to me, because now I have to version stat names.
    Yeah I can see this being a real PITA later. But if 18.7 is teaching us anything it is teaching that nothing is beyond being changed by the team.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Yeah I can see this being a real PITA later. But if 18.7 is teaching us anything it is teaching that nothing is beyond being changed by the team.
    Agree, but you forgot the rest. Nothing is beyond being changed by the team in ways that are illogical and break significant aspects of (certain) gameplay and professions. Which will simplify the game in that soon enough there will only be two or three professions left, and no one to play them.

Given this change, I'd like to see Deflect get added to more pieces. Say, on Xan Defensive Board, ACDC, some Ofab pieces, stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    Wasn't some stats changes at AI launch or have I misunderstood?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Wasn't some stats changes at AI launch or have I misunderstood?
    Dunno. But this would certainly explain why some older items do damage types of Trap Disarm etc. (they've been updated since, and no longer do that)
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    Might be except its working in PvM also says my 8.5k average on full autos on Test.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Might be except its working in PvM also says my 8.5k average on full autos on Test.
    I know how fc thinks they love to steal both good and bad from wow along with and nasty side effects. Having it work in pvm is just a side effect. The intent with this is clear when you look form that perspective and the intent is to mimic wow pvp system. FC is experimenting.

Resilience was designed to reduce player damage by an increasing percentage, to counter the damage increase from gear and prevent players from exploding in PvP. Deflect does none of that; Deflect is RNG at its core, and may or may not affect your damage taken/output. If Deflect was intended to have a similar function to Resilience, then I feel it was poorly implemented, as RNG is almost always a poor substitute for a flat percentage reduction.

I haven’t had a chance to test it yet, so I won’t say too much more on the matter. That said, I’m not a huge fan of RNG at the best of times, so we’ll see how it goes.

2c
    -Trony-
    Doctrony - 220/30 Doctor
    Neurix - 100/10 Nano-Technician

"The best of leaders when the job is done, when the task is
    accomplished, the people will say we have done it ourselves"
    - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    It's WoTLK-era resil, then, where resilience-granting PvP gear was a cheap way to get the crit reduction equivalent to Defense needed to tank heroics or raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctrony View Post
    Resilience was designed to reduce player damage by an increasing percentage, to counter the damage increase from gear and prevent players from exploding in PvP. Deflect does none of that; Deflect is RNG at its core, and may or may not affect your damage taken/output. If Deflect was intended to have a similar function to Resilience, then I feel it was poorly implemented, as RNG is almost always a poor substitute for a flat percentage reduction.

I haven’t had a chance to test it yet, so I won’t say too much more on the matter. That said, I’m not a huge fan of RNG at the best of times, so we’ll see how it goes.

2c
    -Trony-
    This is a good part of my problem with deflect and my soldier. It didn't matter if I was killing mobs in Nascence or Inferno.. the full auto was just as bad. There were times in inferno where, over time, my burst was out damaging my full auto.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

This games code is swiss cheese anything they try to borrow is going to be somewhat different or have to reflect that at its core. Code limits suck. Everyone will need this stat and will have to IP it as is its starting to seem. It nerfs specials and prolongs pvp and including pvm atm. Now if you think ahead to possible changes they will make to AC values on armor well..

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    Halved dmg and crit chance on players in AO = http://www.wowwiki.com/PvP_Resilience
    ftfy

Deflect is a completely different mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    ftfy

Deflect is a completely different mechanic.
    I doubt its a finished product yet. FC is experimenting I did say that. The reasoning being used I have explained and some posts up Doctrony went into some details. I am just pointing out what I believe fc is trying to do with deflect not go into how they will achieve the result.

Deflect works the same way evades do against specials with small differences:

1. reduced damage instead of full on miss against certain specials if def check fails
    2. 0% def check that aimed shot, sneak attack and dimach have against evades <> 0% def check for fast attack and fling shot against deflect

The way evades work in AO is is horrible and everyone will agree to that (they're either OP or don't matter the slightest), deflect will have the same effect. Double the pure luck defenses, double the stress for one side or the other. Pure luck based mechanics are horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    Pure luck based mechanics are horrible.
    qft
    Doctrony - 220/30 Doctor
    Neurix - 100/10 Nano-Technician

"The best of leaders when the job is done, when the task is
    accomplished, the people will say we have done it ourselves"
    - Lao Tzu

To me it looks not so much as FC is testing. I think deflect, as it is now is what they want.
    I'm not saying they might or might tweak it a little though.

I'm not the biggest fan of PVP so I will refrain from saying anything in either direction regarding Deflect and PVP.

But looking at some of the other changes coming with 18.7 along with Deflect I think there is a picture developing what the guys are aiming for.
    As to whether I'm right or wrong, only Genele and her team will know for sure.

It looks to me as though they are making a lot of changes trying to bring back team requirement in PVM(at the very least). As mobs will be deflecting, debuffs will not be as long lasting and I'm guessing there are healing changes I have no clue about which all will result in fights becoming more interesting, if not exactly harder. And therefore requiring more people across the spread of profs to efficiently complete or do some things.

I'd imagine there could/will be(should be in my mind) some new content somewhere on a piece of paper titled "ToDo List". And said content(or even the possibility of having current content adapted to these changes is not too far fetched) will be built with the new changes (currently on test and any future changes we know nothing about) in mind and at the core of their existence.

I'm liking the changes so far and only in so far as I've played around on test.

That's my take on this anyway.
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.