Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unintended ToTW consequence

ToTW trains are fun when you have a well equipped toon that can handle them. They become hilarious when you have an "Azzy farming" twink.

People on their first runs tend to be more wtf-sided.

Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    I am sorry for destroying your memories. .....

we felt that being greeted at the door by Aztur isn't the most fun thing for any new generations of players.
    LOL There was much charm and phear going into TOTW only to be greeted by Aztur or even a mob of cultists filled with blood lust, milling about, angry that their last victim managed to escape and looking for the next fool to zone in so the cultists could make the poor n00b "feel the way that they felt". I still have nightmares 7 years latter seeing all the weapons raise and fall as my char grabs it's head, lets out those famous last words ...aaaaahhhhggggggg..... seeing the screen lock up, go white and then showing up at the reclaim in Bor.

I think it is a sin to have removed that. Perhaps Funcom could do a Temple of Train Wrecks special event every 6 months to let new players feel the dread, pain and phear that us vets felt.

Quote Originally Posted by jarnoxe View Post
    I have mixed feelings on the trains - they did add an entertaining aspect of unpredictability, and a useful litmus test for meeting other players (did the training player stop and kill them instead of training into you? probably someone worth playing with). Not to mention now I have no reason to have a macro to shout "Choo choo!"
    This.

TOTW has seriously been the most entertaining dungeon ever in AO. Many say they hate it because its crowded with noobs/KS/Trains. Those are the reasons I have always loved it. Many times has (or had ?) lots of players/teams/newbies, and lot of dead bodies/trains/KS/competing in the instance. It is unpredictable, you can get trained, there might be Azzy around next corner to slice you up. And in the end you meet many new people to share fun with and try to deal trains and level up. Im very disappointed that trains have now disappeared. That kills much fun from one of the legendary dungeons in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    As far as the hardest professions to take down in mass pvp? Martial Artists and Adventurers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMekon View Post
    abnormal? explain how that is, cuz most of us can statistically show, how soldiers are one of the poorest pvp professions in terms of both offense and defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I'm curious. Do you Martial Artists actually plan to have a thread about professionals that doesn't end in a flamewar about equipment setups? I think you're about 0/3 now.

Mobs running in place looks exceptionally bad and unpolished and is something that needs to be fixed prior to Steam release.

Just my 2cents.

A quick way to reduce it would be to look at the key system in Foreman's which made gray mobs not attack you.

How about add similar code to the robes in TOTW.
    Just log your 220.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcypher View Post
    How about add similar code to the robes in TOTW.
    Only if robes can also be equipped in HUD1. Otherwise twinks are still going to train because whatever back armor they managed to squeeze into their back slot will not come out for the sake of avoiding aggro.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

"Trains" were just a part of AO, like was said above they were both annoying and laughable/memorable. It took quite a bit of twinking and trial & error to get Abmouth to the Subway entrance back when that was relatively new (might be easy now I don't know), but that's what this game has always been about. Players have always had a vast "toolset" to use ingame in whatever way making each persons experience quite unique. At least that's my opinion.

I can remember many times when people were just waiting outside of TOTW because there was a massive train inside the entrance. Annoying, after you had to come back from a far-flung save point? yeah...........memorable and funny ? absolutely.
    Tergx 220 Atrox Trader | 220 Soli doc | 220 Enf & other toons
    Synergy Factor org ~ APPLY HERE

When readin replies in AO forums, just remember ........ there is no cure for stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Syyceria View Post
    Come on, it took me just 5 minutes to kill a level 178 MA with health-drains and trader pets...our toolset does work

In my view, the *only* negative to mobs chasing you indefinitely was that it was possible to displace bosses that other chars needed(ex: Commander Brock used to routinely get trained to a far corner of Tir County so clanners couldn't find him to get rings). This is more an issue in the open world than in dungeons, but can still happen in dungeons. Players learned that they needed speed to outdistance the mobs, or to zone. If said bosses are now getting trained to be stuck in odd places in static dungeons, then current AI is just aggravating that problem. The general trend of programming mobs to stop chasing after a point (while you are still sighted and in aggro range) is something newer MMO's use, and I think in the balance of things, AO's long-chase AI has been a signature characteristic of the game (as in a few other, older MMO's) and changing it changes the character of the game and not necessarily in a way that will gain or retain players. It appears to me as one of 1,000 tiny steps that draws AO closer to some vision of 'WoW with implants', which no one should consider a desirable image.

Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

it is aoc (fail)-devs doing this to ao? Game gets reduced to 'run 2 a mob, hack&slash, run 2 the next >>> ur uber'

You are dumbing down ao which is known for it's complexity and advanced gameplay. You ruined both afk-spots & exitement.

Same with that teleport from nld to totw. no more dodging spiders b4 getting safe to totw-entrance. imo you could make the clan-outpost there a icc-ambassady (so all can save there) and remove that teleport (for under 50) and change the new ai. You just need to circle a pillar or jump over the stairs to loose agg anyway.
    Last edited by leetlover; Aug 6th, 2013 at 03:07:08.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quick fix - After 30 seconds of being unattackable the mobs collapse and die.
    Or warp to spawn.
    I'm Batman.

So one member of our illustrious duo accidentally agg'd Uklesh and instead of the usual joy of training him all over the place as we died one by one (and spreading that love to the rest of the unfortunate!) we just ran a few seconds and he lost interest, killing exactly no one in the process. Bring back the old ToTW.

Looks like this has resulted in the "stuck" mobs everywhere as well, please return it to how it was. I was guiding a new player through the place and he was not impressed with mobs stuck in running animation everywhere. This is not something that should occur in a 12 year old game, new players won't have the understanding or knowledge that you just changed mob behavior.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this. This is not a new problem by any means, it's always happened, and there used to be an easy solution the players could use: Bring out a bureaucrat, engineer, metaphysicist or even an agent or trader in a pinch, /pet hunt, and your pets will find a way to either path to the stuck enemy or at least smack them, allowing them to either be killed, or to kill your pet whereupon they will recognize that they're stuck and teleport back to their spawn.

It wasn't the anti-training code that broke things so much as it was the removal of /pet hunt.

It wouldn't be impossible, as this is pretty much what we did to resolve this issue.

18.6.6, which should arrive a couple weeks after the birthday celebrations, will have this feature. In the meantime, those silly, wall-loving aliens will have to be culled periodically.
    I checked my patcher, it seems 18.6.6 has arrived, did the feature not make it in?

If it did make it in: It isn't working.

At least not on minor nameds and cultits in totw. Haven't seen a bugged big boss though.

Oh, and please bring /pet hunt back.

It also seems that some mobs are now programmed to first kill passive people who are sitting behind corner or in follow. No matter how hard you hit them, they still go for that afker and kill him first.

Quote Originally Posted by Murskaink2 View Post
    It also seems that some mobs are now programmed to first kill passive people who are sitting behind corner or in follow. No matter how hard you hit them, they still go for that afker and kill him first.
    not very good move by fc, games for relax
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

this is awesome.,. Kill afker first.
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Georgesmith View Post
    this is awesome.,. Kill afker first.
    Makes sense.

If you would be the mob whom would you kill first? The guy sitting in the corner or the guy with the weapons ready?
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by alfora View Post
    Makes sense.

If you would be the mob whom would you kill first? The guy sitting in the corner or the guy with the weapons ready?

I'd kill the guy trying to kill me, THEN kill the guy oblivious to my existence. then I would go eat pizza, with the money I stole from both their wallets.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Quote Originally Posted by RedWatr View Post
    I'd kill the guy trying to kill me, THEN kill the guy oblivious to my existence. then I would go eat pizza, with the money I stole from both their wallets.
    In a team PvP fight, I'd go for the idle/afk target, in case they come back later. Better deal with them now than to get a surprise. Not my fault they decided to go afk in the middle of action.
    Last edited by Demoder; Sep 2nd, 2013 at 11:51:39.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by RedWatr View Post
    So you are the guy who attacks the bossmob first and keeps the adds for later? And if the adds are pink you kill them last because they are so cute?

First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast