Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: IP reset

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BoomDoom
    My point is simply that as the game changes its not unreasonable to want extra IP points to change with it. Otherwise the changes are really only for new players and not for the older ones. It really has nothing to do with how many IP a person has IMO, its just that people spend IP based on what the game is at the moment. If the game changes, then its possible that a lot of IP may have been used in a skill that is no longer (through no fault of player's) useful. In those situations I'm for an IP reset.

In all other situations I'm indifferent at best, dead set against at worst.
    Yeah, I'd totally agree with you. New players make alot of mistakes. More ip reset points would help them. I see no reason why there is even a limit on ip reset points. Let us expiriment without consequence. I think if we were allowed to expiriment freely with our chars, we'd see ALOT more diversity in armor and weapons. Folks stick with the cookie cutter chars because they are afraid of the consequences that come with making the wrong decision.

Back in the day, I even used creation weapons hehe. Then a bow....Then a crossbow...then the x-3. I need ip reset points for all those (although now i swim in ip were I to ever get thedeacon another lvl)
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

You don't swim in ip. If you every find yourself swimming in ip, then you're using a 1-2 skill weapon, or you are not bothering to raise what most people would consider required skills. (Map nav/nano resist/first aid etc.) At 196, I still have no ip. It took more then 2 million ip for my current weapon setup, and the special skills are no where near being maxed. I have not one frivolous skill raised.

It would take me 7 reset points if for some reason in the future my weapon setup was screwed over. Like how they changed the skills on crossbows in 14.6.

Now assuming this game really does evolve over time, then potentially, an older character is at a disadvantage over a newer character. The older one has to live through changes, and sometimes use a reset point to adapt. A newer one never had to live through the change, and so does not have to use a reset point because she never had to adapt.

No, we should not be swimming in a sea of reset points. No, any new reset points should not be tied to dinging. Yes, there should be a way as time passes, for a level 200 player to gain reset points. This is an entropy over time issue. Not entropy over level.

I AM SWIMMING IN IP!!! SWIMMING!!! drowning...take my hand...pull me out

bump to this
    • RK2: Dyna2 Enfo Dyna18 NT Dyna666 Keeper Dyna4000 Fixer Dyna27012 Crat
    • RK-Test: Dyna0002 Meta-Physicist Dyna90210 Fixer ( 05-02-2003)
    • Check my QL200 Enforcer implant designs at Auno.org: 1HE 2HE 2HB
    • Best custom map: Raiko's Map (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)
    • Best custom skin: Notum DovveTech HUD upgrade (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)

Omni-Tek is your friend!
    Elnertz: "I spend all my time making all the loot mine, all because there is no ****ing storyline!"

/me begs Funcom

Please give us a way to acquire additional ip reset points or give us a full ip reset after the patch!

You keep changing the rules, and we have to adapt by spending resets points just to survive. I realize many of the players on Rubika do not need their ip reset, but i desperately do with the upcoming changes.

What am i supposed to do now?

I am a high lvl ma Eng. I've spent a huge amount of ip raising ma, brawl, parry, phys init, evades, and now i will become even more useless. With the ELLTS nerf and FFoK becoming self only, I can't even do decent dmg, after the patch. At the juncture, I will not have enough reset points to salvage this wreck of a char.

Yes, I realize i could earn some ip reset points by making 190. But why should i be forced to endure the torture of endless missions just to be able to ungimp myself?

/me needs this reset or some eng lovin =(
    Last edited by Revelin; Oct 20th, 2002 at 14:38:22.

also consider

nanotechs if that change ever goes life.

from the post on their boards it seems as if a buff item appears that poof makes nt only using nukes viable.

umm ok.

but nts will need to burn a couple of reskill points just to keep going.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

It's an item we'll *have* to use for the new nukes we hope to get. IE without using said item instead of a weapon we're using the nukes we have atm not the new "love" nukes we'll get

Originally posted by Nexsus
    I disagree completely whit peeople wanting a complete IPrest again. It is no need for it. you hade one complete if you messed up then you still have some means to fix it ehityour reset points. If you want to changes to a difrent style higer up you actualy have the resetpoints to do that. Actualy I had them allreay on level 50+

And if you actualy manged to not take advantage of the IPR when it was here well you got waht you deserved and on inits you can still use one RP to fix that there just aint that many Inits that you can miss on.
    LOL.

Sorry but this patch leaves me with 3 high lvl gimps, that i spend more then year playing. My doctor is MA doctor and MA for me is not an option after FFoK fix 14.8 will mean that i will have a huge psyhical ini penalty if i use scope and would love to see how much i crit with no scope in...I need to reset MA, Fast Attack, Brawl, Dimach, Parry, Psyhical Ini.

How am i suppose to know that funcome will deceide to balance the game by gimping my characters?
    Two sisters practicing medicine on Rubika and Shadowlands Pomy and Julka.

As a doctor i would prescribe you to use some common sense and a vacation to Real Life"

If i ever start a new character in Eve i will choose a name something like "aieerjjnnvajjnasdio11e3".

This is basically a philosophical arguement.

You have one group of players who believe that
    character development is an important part of the game.
    By that, I mean, If you train in melee weapons your whole life,
    you shouldnt be able to magically become a skilled pistol user
    near the end of your characters final formation.

I personally fall into that category.

I grew up as a 'gimped' 2 Hand Edged enforcer
    and it offends me that the guys with Beams who
    called me a gimp my whole life can suddenly go
    2HE because of new buffs/weapons.

In my opinion, IPRs completely nullify all decisions
    past the character creation room,
    and that cheapens the integrity of the game.

The other group of players (while I may not be the best
    spokesman for them) seem to look at the game differently,
    less seriously, and just want to be able to play around
    without serious consequences.
    (I'm not sure if that sounds derogatory)

I want hard choices and hard consequences.
    Others want a softer, more casual system.

Both arguements are, unfortunately, mutually exclusive.
    IPresets/IPRs make me just as unhappy as they make
    some others happy.
    I want my choices to matter.
    And I want your choices to matter, whether you like it or not.
    Because in a multiplayer game, what other people do affects you,
    even if it's just by relativity.

Two groups of players? *laugh* How simple.

I want a chance to gain more ipr. I don't want it tied to dinging. In fact, whatever new ways of gaining the ipr should be strictly for a level 200. That's it.

Now, I hardly consider myself a less serious gamer who wishes to play the game without suffering consequences.

What part of evolution do you not understand? This game can evolve and invalidate what you set out to do with your character. With a set amount of ipr, there is only so much evolution your character can surive.

*shrug* Oh well, guess I should drag out my pom poms and bubbly gum. Not serious gamer indeed.

Originally posted by Peisinoe
    Two groups of players? *laugh* How simple.

I want a chance to gain more ipr. I don't want it tied to dinging. In fact, whatever new ways of gaining the ipr should be strictly for a level 200. That's it.
    And I think you should have no IPRs at all. ever. That's it.
    That's the simple 2 groups. Those who think RPGs should
    allow character resets and those who don't.
    The first group has infinite subcategories, with everyone
    having their own view on under what circumstances or
    what exceptions it should be allowed. That's where you are.

Originally posted by Peisinoe

What part of evolution do you not understand? This game can evolve and invalidate what you set out to do with your character. With a set amount of ipr, there is only so much evolution your character can surive.
    Each character already has 15 IPRs.

I simply do not believe any one character will
    ever be affected by enough real nerfs to need
    to reset 15 skills.

And I mean REAL nerfs.
    Not "ohhh I want the new uber weapon X".

But most real nerfs aren't going to be fixed by IPRs.
    You'll need a breed and profession reset

Personally, I like to experiment and make wierd characters,
    but that's prohibited in AO due to the long slow dull chore
    of leveling 100-200.
    I think leveling should be faster, allowing for more alts,
    rerolls, creativity, experimentation, and fun..
    with no IP resets at all. ever.
    Last edited by Ejeckted; Oct 20th, 2002 at 22:13:03.

huh?

Originally posted by Scumbug

And I think you should have no IPRs at all. ever. That's it.

Personally, I like to experiment and make wierd characters,
    but that's prohibited in AO due to the long slow dull chore
    of leveling 100-200.
    I think leveling should be faster, allowing for more alts,
    rerolls, creativity, experimentation, and fun..
    with no IP resets at all. ever.
    where is the difference in a reset and a reroll with accelerated leveling?

ipr is all about experimenting imho.

leveling in an online game takes time and effort in short it is work.

this will always be the only question is wether it will be a more abstract combat or highly skill specific repeated click to increase that allows you to raise your stats.

your last paragraph imo 100% supports an ipr.

trying something new is fun.

experimenting with a character is fun.

leveling him/her again is not.

gone now. byebye.

2 weeks ago I decided to try out the Queen Blade on my 165 trader to be different. I used up 4 IPR points because I don't have 100 spare ip even at lvl 165. Once I equipped the QB (which was OE if I didn't have drains running) I could not kill a mob 15 levels below me due to most of the attacks getting parried or missing.

I had to use 4 more IPR points and go back to my HD shotty which seemed to be the only viable weapon for me.

Now when I reset shotgun, flingshot, aimed shot and ranged init, I had 666k ip which was enough to raise the QB skills. Granted, I could have leveled 9 more times and had enough ip but I didn't want to waste all that time.

At the time of the complete IP reset I chose not to make use of it because I really hadn't made any mistakes that I regretted. I have 2 IPR points left right now which is perfectly fine for me.

I think there should be some way to earn IPR points but it should be difficult. Funcom's vision seems to change all the time so people should be able to change also.
    Baloneypony - 205 Trader
    Metapony - 146 MP
    Baloneymon - 88 Keeper
    Ducksooop - 158 Doc
    Baloneydeath - 127 Advent
    Bureaupony - 89 Crat

As it was stated earlier the solution is simple, have resets tied to tokens, for so many tokens you gain a reset, thus making tokens worthwhile even after you have the highest board.

You work for it, you earn it.

That would allow more experimentation, and more variety in the game. As it is now all I see is cookie cutter characters, and everyone wants more variety, so resets that can be earned isnt a bad option.

Over this past weekend, I helped 3 new to the game adventurers who have level 25-30 characters, and their characters were completely useless to them, they had all kinds of different weapon skills, and noway to turn the character around. One re-rolled using the advice I gave him, the others were so frustrated that they wasted time on their characters that we may never see them again. While noone may care that they left, to FC thats two more paying customers that may not be back. And all because to effectively enjoy the game, you have to follow the thing people complain the most about..... a cookie cutter layout.

Jagdtyger

Originally posted by Julia

LOL.

Sorry but this patch leaves me with 3 high lvl gimps, that i spend more then year playing. My doctor is MA doctor and MA for me is not an option after FFoK fix 14.8 will mean that i will have a huge psyhical ini penalty if i use scope and would love to see how much i crit with no scope in...I need to reset MA, Fast Attack, Brawl, Dimach, Parry, Psyhical Ini.

How am i suppose to know that funcome will deceide to balance the game by gimping my characters?
    you dont have any of your IPr's left?

if no then what did you use them on please tell.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

I was really against IPR because it made people lazy, but there is one huge problem. FC.

FC cannot make up their mind and if they continue to make weapon and gameplay changes then they have a duty to keep supplying IPR's to people.

If this game was static and perfect and FC never had to fix anything then I say no IPR's. But they can't swing the nerf stick without giving someone a way out.
    Hemicrusher

My Current Armor Setup Nail Armor Baby!

Stupidity Should Be Painful

LVL 200 Clan Enforcer - General of Lost Chapter

right on the head

Originally posted by Hemicrusher
    I was really against IPR because it made people lazy, but there is one huge problem. FC.

FC cannot make up their mind and if they continue to make weapon and gameplay changes then they have a duty to keep supplying IPR's to people.

If this game was static and perfect and FC never had to fix anything then I say no IPR's. But they can't swing the nerf stick without giving someone a way out.
    you struck the proverbial nail.

gone now. byebye.

been reading all your posts guys .

seems a few of you dont know what no Ip at lvl 200 means. Let me tell you a history about my adv.

lvl 200 for a few month now at that time i raised all nanoskills i need and maxed them.All but T&S that i didnt really care as i preferes PNH to ql 150 160 recharges.Also cahnged weapon.

Screwed some skills . ones with intention as i didnt have enough ipr to reset them. i kept parry to use Adv shields when i decided to use pistols.Then i noticed that it doesnt work.

Petitionned about it and GM just told me that shields are melee only (i still keep reading the shileds descritpion and didnt find yet were its write). so i ascked to get mi ip skill back. Just had a "sorry there is nothing i can do for this" . Liers but hey ! my adv still a perfect healer and i still can kick asses.

Ok one skill just ****ed Up that i cant get back.

Now 14.5 come with nice ebony figurines. with a 650 t&s req my adv dont have this , i Never go fight without HE or PNH.

Yea you could say why didnt you keep some IP or Ipr ....... but do you know what playing with the same carr without changing anything means ? i got bored of this and wanted to try some stuffs!!

do i have to remmeber you all that we stayed about 3 month without patch ?

So i say having a way to get Ip at lvl 200 should not be beged .. this should be already part of the gam damnit !!

Of course this shouldnt be so easy to have . but we should have a way to win some.

Originally posted by Hemicrusher

EXACTLY!!!

My 2 Cents

What I don't seem to understand is what 'major' change in the game is coming with this patch? A buff is becoming self only... a scope is slowing inits? These are 'major' changes? Hah! Then by this reasoning MA crits becoming self only is a major change, BBI's changing from melee to ranged init is a major change... hell, give me 2 total IPR's for those! Even though it may seem like a 'major' change to some of you, losing out on a high end buff is not a major change, nor is inits being lowered by an item. I could see if you are level 200 and don't have any IP left to spend, but otherwise it will mean that (heaven forbid) you have to spend IP to use something well, instead of being lazy and getting buffs to make up for a deficit in your Toon. *shrugs* Did it ever make much sense to anyone that a scope was raising crits on melee attacks?

And now about the idea of IPR for tokens.... aren't the neutrals gimped enough as it is? Why make it so that they can't IPR now? Extra EXP sounds good, tokens do not.
    Huh? --> Nueromncr

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast