Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 27th, 2011 - Screens

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Adding the timer or some kind of "use" button would be a horrible way to fix this issue. We are better of without them, portals, that is.
    Yeah, let's just chop out the sections they're blocking off, remove the portals and the walls between them and just have an open 3 pointed star area for BS.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Adding the timer or some kind of "use" button would be a horrible way to fix this issue. We are better of without them, portals, that is.
    I actually like the portals, as long as they arn't mis-used. I don't see why a short duration lock, just like we get when going up and down a level in missions, can't be implimented.

I still think it will be possible to do both, teleport from A-->Core and run from A-->Core. Would like confirmation of that from FC though.

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread getting ahead of someone that ran off down the corridor from A-->Core by jumping in the teleport is fun and I hope that you can still do that.

One thing that would improve BS in general is a working BS playfield Map. I don't see why we arn't able to see the locations of other players in there. This would improve things immensly imo.

The one defence that we have (well some profs) against hoppers is snares, roots and blinds (and sometimes stuns). in a team scenario its very effective at mowing down fleeing enemies, so I will admit that portal hopping is counteractable (sometimes its knee slapping funny when you root a hopper and they drop like a sack of crap), but the abuse the portals receive does warrant a 5-10 second lockout per portal.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanana View Post
    Oh, maybe you portal hop Tech?
    No, I don't portal hop, in fact I don't even give a shat about the portals. If someone runs away from me via portal hoping i just move on to doing something that wins the round. I don't get all hung up on killing one target, if they are harassing enough that they need to die and I can't kill them myself I get assistance.

Side note, I completely agree with Klod and Autohead, actually removing the parts would be the best option, as it would make the BS physically smaller.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

I don't mind portal hopping personally. The only portal-hopping scenario that I dislike (enough to maybe want a change) is when shades and agents and such run through a portal and enter sneak, without me being able to prevent them from doing so.

If I am holding attack on a shade or agent or whatever then they shouldn't be able to sneak.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    I don't even give a shat about the portals.
    At least we cleared that up.

As for removing portals and making the BS smaller I'm not convinced that it's the way to go. For all of the pro teamers in this thread I can honestly say that some of the most fun, thrilling fights I have had on BS were when I was either on my own, or with 1/2 other people, and I won vs's a swarm of attackers. Making BS smaller is going to promote team 'zerg' style caller assist play which is never as enjoyable or as challenging as solo play.

I think there are enough threads about new BS layouts/game styles ect ect to give FC a good idea of what the player base would like to see. I guess we can only hope that in the long term, past these band aid fixes, some of this is in the works.

For all of the pro teamers in this thread I can honestly say that some of the most fun, thrilling fights I have had on BS were when I was either on my own, or with 1/2 other people, and I won vs's a swarm of attackers.
    No sarcasm intended by what I'm about to say. I actually applaud the fact that you're good enough at PvP to be able to kill multiple targets solo. Personally, I'm not that good of a PvPer I'm guessing because I can't seem to do this on any of my characters with the exception of my NT and I personally think that profession is a bit overpowered (I didn't truly feel that way until I rolled one..despite being killed in BS by NT's on many occassions while playing other professions).

I have had fun in a 2 person team (me on doc, bf on soldier) and been able to wipe the floor with the opposition but that is mainly because people get so hell bent set on "must kill doc" that they ignored the completely defenseless soldier with me (guardian was on me) and got picked off while trying to take me down.

Outside of that, if I go solo on my Trader or my Doctor.. I'm toast. The reason is that people see those professions and feel like they should be the first to take down. It doesn't matter if there is a group of 10 people Pvping each other at core.. if I come on the scene with my Trader or Doc it seems like the folks on the opposite side change course and take me out. That makes solo PvP in battlestations, for me, not so much fun and that is why I personally support team PvP. I'm not going to ask for my Trader or Doctor to be rebalanced somehow to be able to take out multiple people because to me that isn't balanced.. I just wish that a side versus side encounter was more friendly to side versus side strategy.

People take this type of opinion as if I want to take something away from solo pvpers.. to be honest I don't. I respect everyone's right to do what is fun. I just thought that battlestations was supposed to be side versus side and I personally feel that the way Funcom implemented it doesn't encourage side versus side strategy at all. It leaves people, like me, who are playing support style roles to be cannon fodder when the truth is I am not gimp on any character on my accounts. There is only so much that I can do, howver, against many opponents. And the truth is.. I do suck at PvP.. but I'd like to get better. I just have yet (after over 7 years) found any activity in game that allows someone that is PvM focused to learn how to PvP in a reasonable environment.

Running in, getting killed by 4 people.. hitting decon.. rinse and repeat.. not only do I not learn anything (except to stay out of battlestations or how to retreat) but it isn't entertaining at all.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jun 1st, 2011 at 18:18:29.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

We don't need whompah wars OR by-huggers* inside BS. Fix it already FFS.

For you guys with for brains that means I agree with Tanana.

*Running back and forth through a whompah is essenctially the same thing. Especially when you can somehow sneak with agg now.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jun 7th, 2011 at 13:15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    If I am holding attack on a shade or agent or whatever then they shouldn't be able to sneak.
    this has always bothered me, because is not the bs one big area? what is special about portals that they take you out of combat when going through them? I can choose not chase someone through and remain in combat, and they cannot sit and heal (might be fixed), but they can still sneak...

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Sounds like a bug introduced with the changes to the sneak mechanic a while back. I wonder if anyone bothered to report it, or just bitched about it and never bothered to let the devs know it was happening.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    this has always bothered me, because is not the bs one big area? what is special about portals that they take you out of combat when going through them? I can choose not chase someone through and remain in combat, and they cannot sit and heal (might be fixed), but they can still sneak...
    Get rid of that and give Agents and Shades a resneak in combat ability and that way the Devs can control it.

It's a neat trick, but not when it's uncontrolled like portal hop sneaking. I personally only use it when I'm running from a 1hb/1he enfo.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Sounds like a bug introduced with the changes to the sneak mechanic a while back. I wonder if anyone bothered to report it, or just bitched about it and never bothered to let the devs know it was happening.
    Im pretty sure it was discussed ad nauseam when the changes to sneak happened. in fact, i recall at least one fwm that went on forever about the sneak glitches both in pvm and pvp. if the Devs don't know about the sneak glitches, then its willful ignorance.

As for removing portals and making the BS smaller I'm not convinced that it's the way to go. For all of the pro teamers in this thread I can honestly say that some of the most fun, thrilling fights I have had on BS were when I was either on my own, or with 1/2 other people, and I won vs's a swarm of attackers. Making BS smaller is going to promote team 'zerg' style caller assist play which is never as enjoyable or as challenging as solo play.
    And how does that change with the new BS FC is going to implement? I can guarentee you that there will be enough ego driven and/or inexperienced people in Bs that will give you fun, thrilling fights on your own or with 1/2 other people. The whole idea that closing of certain areas of Bs will destroy the PVP experience that people have currently is not clicking with me because blocking those areas off only PROMOTES more encounters with people in BS, and hence more opportunities to PVP. The new BS is not going to become a practice area for people learning to use portals like the naysayers would like us all to think. That's red herring material.

if you sole purpose is to get challenging solo PVP play, then BS is (or never has been) the proper forum for that to happen anyways, so it's not a relevant reference point when talking about the effects that the changes will have in BS.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jun 1st, 2011 at 19:52:53.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    And how does that change with the new BS FC is going to implement? I can guarentee you that there will be enough ego driven and/or inexperienced people in Bs that will give you fun, thrilling fights on your own or with 1/2 other people. The whole idea that closing of certain areas of Bs will destroy the PVP experience that people have currently is not clicking with me because blocking those areas off only PROMOTES more encounters with people in BS, and hence more opportunities to PVP. The new BS is not going to become a practice area for people learning to use portals like the naysayers would like us all to think. That's red herring material.

if you sole purpose is to get challenging solo PVP play, then BS is (or never has been) the proper forum for that to happen anyways, so it's not a relevant reference point when talking about the effects that the changes will have in BS.
    What's the point of removing certain areas? It seems like a waste of time to me, and I'd rather they put a 5 second timer on teleporters. Maybe our small dev team should focus on fixing actual problems, like walls that pets can't get past but players can jump over, portal hopping, and unremovable debuffs or (GASP!) making a new damn BS map, or some sort of rotating map system than making pointless changes to the current BS layout.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

It doesn't matter what it seems like TO YOU. FC already explained a few reasons why they are making those changes. You don't seem to be listening to that, inventing your own little problems and what they should fix. You don't realize that FC may not think the problem you are inventing is actually a problem at all, or needs fixing moreso than the ones they are fixing with the changes. Again, the 'fixes' for things like portal hopping doesn't need to be addressed by FC because it's based on players capabilities to play the game. That's a nice way of saying "Learn to PVP in BS".
    Last edited by Obtena; Jun 1st, 2011 at 20:31:50.

The whole idea that closing of certain areas of Bs will destroy the PVP experience that people have currently is not clicking with me because blocking those areas off only PROMOTES more encounters with people in BS
    Do you agree that a smaller area promotes more encounters but that most of these encounters will be Group vs Group?

I'm not saying that BS shouldn't favor team work or that someone playing solo should be able to do better against a team. I'm mearly pointing out that teaming in a BS round shouldn't be your only option.

If you make the BS smaller you will have less chance to avoid a roaming zerg and your only option will be to form a team yourself. Whether thats right or wrong it follows that player experiences where you can go up against 2-3 people without gettin zerged will be less in the future.

Your excellent at spouting the 'you don't know what the future holds' drivel and untill the changes happen we will not know, but has anyone considered what spawn points at core will do to some of the close fights that happen there? How will it work, as soon as you hit decon you can instantly rejoin the fight at core? Lets face it, you kill something like a doc at core you expect that he'll be gone for a good min or so, if he can just repop at core hows that gonna work?

Do you agree that a smaller area promotes more encounters but that most of these encounters will be Group vs Group?
    No, I don't because the area being proposed doesn't encourage group PVP anymore than it does now. The BS size isn't being reduced to such a degree that it FORCES people to be in the same areas as others on their side, so there are still going to be the heros running around, capping, and trying to solo. Let's be honest here. You really going to have the position that BS is being reduced in size so much that it will be inevitable people will team? That's nonsense to me, considering the areas being blocked off are already so little used, that they have almost no impact on any PVP activity in BS. It's not closet sized.

What WILL promote group PVP is the re-balance, and that's really clear from the changes being made to the team-based tools in the nanos.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jun 1st, 2011 at 20:45:29.

It doesn't matter what it seems like TO YOU.
    I've seen you post this kind of response far too much it's becoming hillarious Ob.

I think we can all work out that FC will do with their game whatever the hell they like, we don't need someone shouting down every concern or suggestion with the same boring old line. I'd forgive you if you worked for FC but I don't think you do...do you?

When players hear about developments that FC are going to introduce of course they are going to voice their approval or dis-approval as appropriate, who are you to discourage that.

99.99% of the time this may fall on deaf ears but it's what the forums are here for. It would be pretty quiet if everyone just read FWM and didn't have an opinion. Maybe a poster does make a point that the team at FC haven't considered and maybe it effects a change for the better. If not so what!

I think it's a reasonable response. Seems like many people believe that their opinion amounts to some absolute decree from an omnipotent being and they can't comprehensively think how anyone wouldn't see it that way as well because of some authority they believe they possess as a paying customer (or just an angry one). Look at the reality of how this game has been developed over the last (insert years you have played) years. Just because someone doesn't see as FC does, doesn't mean there is some huge glaring error in how the game is developed. Am I a fanboy because I realize there are just some things that will happen, like them or not? OK, but at least I don't get butthurt about it and have unreasonable expectations when it does.

It's akin to telling the universe it's Physics is wrong. Really? Like anyone has a say on that? That's quite the egotistical Point of view. This isn't too much different. FC is the 'creator' of the physics in this game. Sure FC takes our feedback, but they aren't looking to players to tell them the direction that the game is going to take as far as the concepts and physics go. If they do, it's RARE or SPECIFIC (for instance, with the professionals or the people that are involved with the story part of the game). This change is conceptual. Our feedback on it will be probably rather trivial things, if at all. It's necessary from a physics/mechanics POV and this is the way they decided to do it, for whatever reasons they decided on.

There is no debate about "don't put in blocked areas". The blocked areas are going in. They got their reasons and I don't think they have ignored the other ones that people are bringing up here either. Live with it.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jun 1st, 2011 at 23:10:05.

OMFG! For the first time in my life I think I'm agreeing with Obtena. Ever I'm completely disagree with all his annoying trolling behavior.

Proposed changes need to be done, at least untill new engine where I hope pet path will be fixed. Also only afkers and pet stuckers really use those closed areas. If you are against it you are either an afker or a pet stucker.

Also, the proposed changes GONNA get implented, unless the massive majority disagree, which is not the case. The only thing we can complain and change is the super fuggly glass blockers. Sadly I'm not a designer to sugest anything better. My personal idea is get titanium instead of glass, but everybody loves translucid things

GOD HAIL THE END OF PET STUCK IN BS!!!
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast