Thread: Ao mini-system

Ao mini-system

As my action point from the Roleplayer's meeting earlier this night,
    I am reposting the mini action resolution system I'd developed for AO a while back. There is no suggestion this should be adopted as a standard, I myself have not used it much (or used the combat section at all). But should you find it useful, feel free to avail yourself of its exisitng or any modified form.

The real advantage of this system I think is that it can be totally transparent to the players. The player running the adventure can use this system behind the scenes without drawing the players attention to the mechanics which might spoil the moment or confuse people not from a p&p background.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CAOS - Compact Anarchy Online System.

There are some mad people on Anarchy Online who like to roleplay. Often to improve their roleplaying experience they select among themselves a fellow player to act as pen and paper Games Master (which is not to be confused with a Funcom GM). It’s the unfortunate Games Master's task is to come up with stories, give form and voices to the supporting cast of NPCs (again not to be confused with the AO NPC mobs) and basically run the adventure.

While the AO engine works fine for killing nightcrawlers or assembling implants, its not that helpful when it comes to translating an ancient Hebrew text, forging someone's signature or scanning your hotel room for bugs. You can muddle through most of these situations just using Game Master's arbitration and a bit of common sense, and in most cases that is the best way of doing it. But there are times I miss having rules and dice rolls to fall back on. CAOS is a tacky little roleplaying system designed to do exactly this and to do it with minimal fuss, bookkeeping and preparation.

CAOS works using a simple, single six-sided die roll (which incidentally Helpbot supports but you might find it smoother if the Gmaes Master makes all the rolls for the players). In a nutshell when a player wants to do something that is neither trivial nor supported by the AO engine, the Games Master has to determine the difficulty of the task and assign a numerical value to it based on the following scale:

Easy = 2
    Average = 4
    Hard = 6
    Really Hard = 8
    You have got to be Kidding = 10

The Games Master is not obliged to disclose the difficulty selected. The player then rolls one die. If he meets or beats the number he succeeds otherwise the attempt fails. Depending on the situation he may or may not get a chance to try again.

The astute reader will have noticed that the range of target numbers goes beyond '6'. This is due to the Bonus System. The Bonus System is designed to reflect the fact that different characters are better at different things. The Bonuses are based on your character’s AO Profession, level and roleplaying background.

The Professional Bonus is +2. This means that any character attempting to do a task directly related to their AO Profession (say an Adventurer tracking prey in the wilderness) will get a +2 added to his dice rolls. Characters also get a +1 Level Standard Bonus on all dice rolls from level 100 onwards and another +1 at level 200. Finally there is a further +2 Bonus is can be awarded to dice rolls for tasks directly relevant to your character's background, subject to the Games Master's approval. All Bonuses are cumulative.

On to some examples: Allsworth is a low level (10) doctor the player has cast as plastic surgeon. To build a sand castle (an Easy task) he would need to roll 2 or more. To treat someone's hangover (Average task) would normally require a 4 or better roll, but as is a doctor and this is vaguely medically related he gets a +2 Professional Bonus so he still just needs to roll 2 or more. Filling in his tax return (a Hard task) requires a 6 as none of the bonuses apply. To perform a nose job, (a Really Hard task) he needs to roll 4 or more as both Professional and Background Bonuses apply.

Rupert is a level 200 Crat accountant. Because he is really uber (level 200), he gets a +2 Bonus on all rolls which means he automatically succeeds at Easy tasks like building sand castles and can treat hangovers as well as the inexperienced doctor Allsworth. Ruppert real uberness though is clearly demonstrated when filling in his tax return as he gets a total Bonus of 6 (+2 for being a Crat, +2 for being an accountant +2 for level). Even though the task is Hard for regular mortals, as a high level accountant he cannot fail. Despite the level difference however, Allsworth still stands a better chance at performing a nose job then as Rupert, who would need to roll a 6 to succeed.

Combat
    If you want stage an epic battle, go to a PvP zone and do it right. But if you just want a dirty old bar brawl or you are more interested in the roleplaying rather tactical side of combat, you can use CAOS for this too.

In combat the two characters roll a die each. The one who rolls higher scores the hit. The difference between the rolls is the damage the hit inflicts. The damage gets subtracted from the characters hit points. Nano Mages get 2 hit points, Opiflex 4, Solitus 6 and Atrox 8. All characters get an additional hit point at level 100 and at level 200. When a character’s hit points are down to zero or less he’s is knocked out, hugging the reclaim terminal or otherwise severely embarrassed. Hit points are automatically fully restored once the fight scene is over.

In terms of Bonuses, Soldiers, Martial Artists and Enforcers are the only classes that get to use their +2 Profession Bonus in combat. The +1 per 100 level Bonus applies as normal. Background Bonuses do not apply to combat.

And that’s pretty much it. I am sure these rules will appear utterly unnecessary to some players and way too crude for others, but maybe one little bear out there will find them just right.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

This needs to be sticky!

bump for sticky!
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

this is really cool. bump
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Yes, lets bump this suggestion along. Bump!

/Rheena waves to Ogmon

rheena, if you want more SIM rp lemme know, it is the hardest form of rp out there and can get hard. The dice roll system does work. SIM rp if for experienced roleplayers, there are alot of resources out there to learn it, it's a give and take system, a chess game. I can provide examples of a hardcore sim style rp duel but it's confusing. Basically there are god mods that are not allowed in this type of rp. You cannot perform an action that has an outcome that cannot be countered unless it's rp'ed as such.

*edit

Found this on a forum while doing a search for rules.

-Controlling: Also referred to as "modding," the controlling of one's opponent's character is allowed, but only in moderation. One can cause one's foe to think or say something, or perform a minor action. However, "God-modding," or total, unrestrained control of another's character, is strictly forbidden. This includes, but is not restricted to, causing one's opponent to: make a significant error, do/say something out of character, or harm or kill himself or herself.

-Killing: Allowed at all times. If one intends for one's battle to end without kills, but rather with both opponents still amongst the living, this must be specified before the battle begins.

-Moves: There are no specific limits on how many moves per post are allowed. However, four moves per post, with up to one major attack within that chain of moves, will be considered the normal maximum, any number below, of course, will be accepted generally. If one abuses the lack of restrictions on moves per post repeatedly, one may be forced to forfeit the battle.
    ---Also, a combo attack (ieunch, punch, kick) counts as one attack, not three or more. But stay within reason, do not execute too many close combat attacks in one combo. That does NOT mean that a rock-shattering flying kick may be counted as part of a combo.

-Healing: Allowed always, but, like controlling, in moderation. One must use one's common sense in this field. If excessive healing is keeping a character from sustaining any damage at all, and therefore is keeping the battle from progressing, then one may be forced to either edit one's own posts to make them more fair.

-Delimbing: Allowed, but again, in moderation.

-Cheapness: If one feels one's opponent is being cheap, one has the right to complain. If one's opponent does not heed said complaints, one can invite a senior battler or the public to express their opinions. It is considered cheap to kill one's opponent early in a battle.
    -Fighters per Battle: A Sim Battle will consist of two fighters battling against each other, unless otherwise stated. No other fighters may interfere, unless it has been agreed upon before the battle that he or she may enter the fight.

-No destroying the arena/planet, it's just considered down right cheap.
    Last edited by Ognom; Mar 24th, 2003 at 16:18:57.

Yay for a system that makes sense and isn't overly compliacated.

Combat form is decent too.

Just in case they don't sticky. I made me a copy
    Graduate of the Elite Academy

Viray's Yalm Cleaning Services

Viray's Taxi Co.

The moral highground was levelled the very day the first player landed in a backyard, saw a cute leet and said "I wonder what it drops?"

- Savoy

Bump for sticky status.

I think both Savoy and Ognom have great ideas. Ognom's for those free form rp moments in, say a bar or such (with capable and mature rpers). Savoy's for more outcome dependent storylines.
    Kimberely "Java" Basso
    USO-RK: Bringing the Best of OMNI to the Best of OMNI
    Veilwalker:"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways."

Hmmz

I don't know...but I'm willnig to give it a chance. bump
    "I wont let my precious comrades die..."
    207|11 Equimon Solitus Soldier
    150|0 Wildcardz Atrox Enforcer
    092|0 Bloodnerve Solitus Doctor
    075|0 Layered Opifex Meta-Physist
    030|0 Gunpriest Solitus Ranged Keeper Gunpriest Chronicles <- Currently Under Construction

Hmm looks good. except for one thing.
    In the crat nose job example. Since he is attempting a task that is not his profession, but also spesific to another profession imo he should get a penalty of -2 on rolling the dice for the nose job.

Thus a doc would have a +4 advantage over a Crat when doing a nose job.

(i.e widen the gap and thus the speciality advantages a profession has)

Just my 2 cents worth
    Last edited by Gridfan; Mar 24th, 2003 at 18:45:45.
    "AO is like the ugly duckling, slowly turning into a swan as time goes by."
    Lance Orbin aka Gridfan of GridStream Productions

Really cool idea Savoy! This should be sticky.

Occ Thanks Ogmon for your kind offer. Iam also involved in an email Sim for the past several years. Some of your details are also
    incorporated in the SIM..Ie the God-modding choice. In the email
    sim noone can have god-like character .We trade off on each others email post how each person character would react. It is
    also followed by an iRC CHAT with our same characters . I have
    never tried rping this way in ao.