View Poll Results: Do you like the new Mimic changes?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, love the new Mimic options and new diversity.

172 81.52%
  • Nah, just fix Mimic Doctor vulnerabilities already and leave me be.

39 18.48%
Page 1 of 19 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: An Agent's future..

An Agent's future..

So hai,

We finally got the much anticipated green light from Kintaii to share our Sekrit Information with you. Of course, it's all still preliminary, things may and probably will change and need fine tuning before it's released, you know the drill.

First off I want to give a global look at some known changes, before going into detail about ... our Mimics! I personally don't like every change, probably neither will you, but the overall outcome is great for the profession.

• Aimed Shot: Agents exclusively will get access to a secondary Aimed Shot special, sort of like Backstab. Name will probably be Snipe Shot, and it won't deal more damage than a Burst. I have no other details yet, it's a work in progress.
    • Ruse of Taren: size reduction and Concealment buff will be separated, and size reduction can be cancelled at will (about 1 NCU for the -size).
    • Detaunts: revampage, apparently for all levelling ranges. No details.
    • Bailing nanos: they're getting a revamp, again not much details.. especially durations will be changed.
    • Damage over Time: they will be "fixed", but noone has a clue how that's going to work out.
    • Snares/roots/stuns: shorter duration, faster casting, and they'll finally work in the Shadowlands.

I know that list isn't very impressive, however with that out of the way, let's have a look at The Big Revelation (tm) we've been teasing you all about!

The Agent rebalance thingie will have a heavy focus on our Mimic lines. Biggest change, really, would be that we're finally getting to Mimic a form of perks. A form of, because they technically aren't perks, but specializations. The plan is to enable us to Mimic every profession effectively, including Shades and Keepers.

• Shadow Profession: aside from the existing False, Assume, and Mimic Profession lines there will be Shadow Profession for endgame Agents.
    • NanoInit: this particular debuff will be heavily modified on the whole line of nanos, and might even be completely replaced by other debuffs tailored for the Profession you're mimicking.
    • Static (de)buffs: there will be static buffs and debuffs attached to each profession you choose to Mimic, for example Mimic NT could give you some %nanodamage and extra MatCrea, at the cost of attack rating. These bonuses scale as you level, until you hit the "upper limit" for your line and pretty much have to move on to the next version to reap higher benefits.

"Perk" actions: the Devs are looking into tying the Mimic lines together with the Specialization quests, you know, those books you've got to collect to cast certain Shadowlands nanos. Each specialization will mean you get access to another action, provided you're casting the right nano along with it - IE False Profession will get less actions than Shadow Profession, even if you do have the Specializations complete.

These actions will change based on the Profession you choose to Mimic, it could be a DD action but also in the sense of classic perks a defensive option like a heal or evades. Basically this is how we'll get access to nanos, perks, items, et cetera that the Devs don't just want to give us a direct copy of. Basically the thing we've all been hoping for, finally we can compete to a certain degree with the real deal.

Another plan out there is making it a viable choice to *not* use a Mimic nano, and remain a normal Agent.

As for Mimic Doctor, there has been no news of a specific nerf to our current bread-and-butter yet, but it's safe to assume this one will be affected by the same changes other healers are undergoing. Going from Means' statements in the past that will for example include no more end-less healing.

We haven't received any further details about other key Agent abilities: I don't know what's going to happen with our AR and damage, or Concealment/Perception, or RunSpeed, Snare perks, and kiting.

In summary, it seems Agent will be one of the least cookie-cutterish Professions. We'll have a wide range of choices how to build your Agent once again, and won't be forced into one mold.

So, what do you think? They're all theoretical ideas at this point, and need a lot of work. What static (de)buffs would you like to see on each profession? What about the "actions"? Keep in mind, you aren't restricted by the existing borders: we won't be getting the perk line benefits from "Careful in Battle", or perk action "Bio Cocoon", or quest nano "Superior Nanobot Shelter", but rather a fine-tuned version designed and balanced especially for Agents!
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

My one and only First post!

And I have to say Yum yum!
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

I approve this message.

There is a lot of stuff to like, I do however see it as a waste of time to even look at:

Detaunts: revampage, apparently for all levelling ranges. No details.
    Damage over Time: they will be "fixed", but noone has a clue how that's going to work out.

Other than that I LOVE the way it is heading, I mean OMG!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

I like it, but it also seems that the Rebalancing patch won't hit live for a long long long time. Seems like tons of work still to do to get it right.

Rebalancing patch hitting live together with new engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggysmallz View Post
    I like it, but it also seems that the Rebalancing patch won't hit live for a long long long time. Seems like tons of work still to do to get it right.

Rebalancing patch hitting live together with new engine?
    It could also be the patch will gradually be applied, for example first you get the Mimic changes and they'll do the rest after that. I don't know how they're planning to do it either. We'll see.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants

Looks good to me.

Can't help but make the association between Shadow Profession to my suggested Phantom (synonym) Profession. Do I get Epeen for a halfway taken idea?
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

I like the mimic plans. But what was that about shortened stuns? We only have one stun nano not? The perk isnt really lasting for ages either.
    For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post
    Name will probably be Snipe Shot, and it won't deal more damage than a Burst.
    ouch

Quote Originally Posted by mawu View Post
    I like the mimic plans. But what was that about shortened stuns? We only have one stun nano not? The perk isnt really lasting for ages either.
    Dunno, there weren't very much details for that one. But I assume they'll just make stuns easier to land and cast. Can't really lower duration without making it useless.

Funcom employee

A lotta professions are getting a bit confused by the whole "stuns/calms/roots/snares" thing, so I should say that we mean it in a "across the board" sense - You may only have one stun currently available, but we mean that*all* stuns in the game are going to see their duration decreased. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by navycut View Post
    ouch
    Biggest disappointment on that list.

Our perks are getting a fix but adding a defensive check to the current AS in addition to a 3 second cast time and giving us a secondary action thats a bit of a joke is... a let down, to say the least.

But i'm happy to see that they will be implementing profession based mimic changes, as i've been posting about on the forums for a few months now
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

Funcom employee

I've posted this in a few of the other rebalancing threads floating around out there right now and I figure it's worth reposting here as well. Granted, it doesn't seem to have stemmed any of the "the sky is falling!!" posts elsewhere just yet, but hey - Always worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    For the most part I'm wanting to let the Professionals handle the dissemination of information with all of this, but there is one thing I want to chime in on, and something we've been a bit coy about overall in mentioning.

When we talk about rebalancing, we do mean rebalancing. We mean a complete, ground-up look over all the numbers in game - How much AAO professions can receive, what their overall nano-costs are for buffing, how much IP they have to spend to cast their nanos, ect. ect. ect.

When you guys see things like the perk docs, or receive information on the rebalancing, it's important to understand that we're not going to change one or two things - There are massive changes incoming to the overall balance of numbers that professions receive, to make them more viable across the board. What you may perceive as an issue with the announced changes will also more than likely be addressed as we go through and fix the overarching numbers spread for the entire game.

There's more to The Great Rebalancing than just tweaking a couple of items/perks/nanos. A whole lot more.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

you are such a cross-poster

Quote Originally Posted by navycut View Post
    ouch
    You don't know how big of a Burst the devs are talking about. Soldiers can hit insanely high Bursts.. makes sense that Agents can do a high Snipe Shot too. Also details aren't worked out yet, it could be that secondary AS will be much easier to land for example.

As I said ealier those mimics sound nice. What I would like to know what level of mimic we will see. For instance doc. We all know what a doc does and we all know that the current mimic is all but a doc. Will this mimic allow us to be lets say the secondary doc in a beast raid? A full doc in a beast raid ? Will it be enough for a hard inferno mission with a level 210 enforcer in a pickup team? I am talking the agent at 220 btw. As long as this is not clear we all project our wishes/fears into that new mimic and rate the result.
    For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by mawu View Post
    As I said ealier those mimics sound nice. What I would like to know what level of mimic we will see. For instance doc. We all know what a doc does and we all know that the current mimic is all but a doc. Will this mimic allow us to be lets say the secondary doc in a beast raid? A full doc in a beast raid ? Will it be enough for a hard inferno mission with a level 210 enforcer in a pickup team? I am talking the agent at 220 btw. As long as this is not clear we all project our wishes/fears into that new mimic and rate the result.
    From what I understand, said 220 Agent will be casting Shadow Profession, giving him/her access to ~4 "actions" as well as static (de)buffs. The static buffs haven't been decided yet, but they could include for example %healefficiency. Also maybe we can get access to a SL heal or such in the "actions" part. I do suppose going Shadow Doctor will nerf things such as damage and evades though, as a price..

The details haven't been set yet and we've been asked to help come up with these details. It will have to stay reasonable of course, if you want big buffs on Shadow Profession it will come along with big debuffs in other areas.

Too little on the details to really make my mind up if I like the changes or not...plus if they were to slowly implement the changes across the board patch by patch you'll see plenty of total unbalance until all patching is done. If they are doing this kind of overhaul to agents I can only imagine what other professions are going to see. We'll probably end up right back where we were

Bump for changes though, can always roll something else I guess if they %&#$ this up bad.
    220/30/70 - Atrox Agent - Tinypain
    220/30/70 - Atrox Keeper - Ivekeeper
    220/25/70 - Atrox Fixer - Zedy
    220/30/70 - Solitus Soldier - Tequiila
    172/20/35 - Nanomage Agent - Nanocide
    Storm

Whats reasonable? Thats like asking what a reasonable direction is. west? to the left? I need to know what direction we are going if im supposed to come up with reasonable details. I mean I cant say 15% healing efficiency on the shadow mimic are good enough. Noone of us here can give a reasonable number because we dont know what we are supposed to aim for.

If its the big picture your asking then its clear for me. I would settle with healing said 210 enforcer in a inferno mission. Or lets say two agents make up for a doc in a raid. So 50% efficiency. If thats by static +stuff or actions or what you call it I dont mind.

Im just writing down what I projected into a couple profession shadow mimics (SM).

SM Doc, goal: better healing than now in teams.
    pro: 50% healing / second of an average doc, UBT / A+B DOTs, HP buffs and HD we already got
    con: no +DD agent nanos, no short time crit nanos, no roots

SM Soldier, goal: more DD than pure agent but loosing some CC nad un-soldiery DOTs
    pro: rrfe, AMS (FCs call which one), some hypothetical +DD action, a taunt nano, buffs we already got like riot control et all
    con: no roots, no short time +crit, no DOT

before I continue is this the details you want?
    Last edited by mawu; Jan 6th, 2010 at 23:02:38.

Page 1 of 19 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast