Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Too bad those filigree rings will never be seen because they all suck maybe if they got an upgrade...
    Filigree rings are good lowbie twinking items and even equipment in some cases.

More importantly, if those were given an ingame mesh (as in visible when you equip it) I'd definitly wear some on my social tab

Quote Originally Posted by Leileena View Post

More importantly, if those were given an ingame mesh (as in visible when you equip it) I'd definitly wear some on my social tab
    I thought the Filigree Rings were the result of tradeskilling so that you can sell them for more creds to the shop terminals than the component parts would get.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Amosco View Post
    I thought the Filigree Rings were the result of tradeskilling so that you can sell them for more creds to the shop terminals than the component parts would get.
    That's what they've been reduced to, yes.

Some of the SL rings can be handy for ability buffing.
    Still waiting for Ultimate Ofab Armor!

Definition of penultimate - next to the last

Quote Originally Posted by Leileena View Post

Yeah, but then it's very rare to see people wtb them, make them, or really even talk about them. If you're leveling a +%xp ring is what you want, if you're a twink, you probably have something way more uber. I remember them when they were new, noone even bothered with them back then :| there were better items available.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

i used some of them for lowbie twink, they're what's best.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    After SL, AO doesn't have a "brand". The game is a mish-mash from every genre out there. So far I've seen very little, if any, of Doc's work that I'd say wouldn't fit AO.
    I don't know why you would say that.. AO has a very strong look and feel. The fact that you can't see this, doesn't make it false. I have insane props for the artistic team of AO - they have done a fantastic job. They have been lazy about the details lately (same as dev team and whoever writes the copy).

Basically I'd rather have limited icons that fit AO than a bunch of mixed up fantasy tabula-rasa CoH looking icons.

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    P.S. Mahdi007 telling me what percentages are good, bad or ugly does not help me make them better, I would need to know which icons fall in which percentile.
    I can appreciate that, will do this if I get a chance. There are a lot to go through though! I thought it would be fairly obvious, considering you made them (and know which have the least amount of effort)

Filigree rings look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi007 View Post
    I don't know why you would say that..
    Let's see....

Fantasy Land a.k.a. Shadowlands ( which, by the way, started out as a fantasy mmo called Midgar before FC scrapped it and Gaute tacked it onto AO as an "expansion" ).

How about knights in armor fighting ****ing dragons? lol We even have a Camelot.:P

Sci-fi with weapons/armor/vehicles/aliens as far as Rubi-Ka.

But yet, now the Omni are "unredeemed" a.k.a. "evil" and Clan are "redeemed" a.k.a. "good" and neutrals are apparently stuck in Purgatory since they don't count as either because Gaute couldn't handle making a third side in his little fantasy add-on.

So there's now a "holy war" too.

lol

The fact that you could even try to discount what I said amuses me. AO is a mish-mash. Period. It may once have been it's own brand, but it is not anymore and it has not been for a long time.

But humor me. What do you consider AO's "brand"?

Edit: Guess i won't bother responding to Kintaii below since he can't handle the truth and gets "delete post" happy when responded to with support for claims made.
    Last edited by Phixalicious; Mar 5th, 2010 at 21:20:53. Reason: Kintaii got butthurt

Funcom employee

Midgard didn't turn into the Shadowlands expansion. Camelot existed prior to SL. Lord Galahad and his merry troupe of Knights (as in the Knights of Avalon) were around before SL. Tarasque, which is a dragon, existed pre-SL. The roots for the SL storyline were planted in AO at its launch (see the ending of Prophet Without Honor, for example - further proof can be seen in the intro titles for the old animated series, where you can see a map of Jobe). Also, these story elements were contributed by Ragnar, not Gaute.

Any grievances you may have about SL's implementation and content aside, claiming that it doesn't fit story-wise is a mistake as AO was originally concepted to have Shadowlands as a part of its story.

Enough of that derail for now, though - This thread is about Doc's icon work, not for debating storyline. Feel free to start up another thread elsewhere to discuss the topic if you wish. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

What about Jobe initially being an island south of Rome instead of floating above RK?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Matammyr View Post
    What about Jobe initially being an island south of Rome instead of floating above RK?
    Silly... That's noob island. The island where all noobishness comes from. :-)

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=571341

The thread I linked is for discussing AO's art and "brand" I'm sure it will draw a good amount of interest from all members of the community. Please take any other post about the topic over to there and leave this thread for just talk about Doc's work.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Here is another rework of the new backpacks, I shifted the 'bulk' to the bottom and made it of a new space age bio-plastic material.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ck_Sample2.jpg

Let me know if this one's a keeper design.
    This looks like thing from fallout or something, not AO. Hard to point what creates the feeling in me, but I think its the plastic look.

Let me know if you think this style for the 'gemmed rings' will work? I think it helps to make the gem more visible, and the 'filigree' part of the ring is easier to see.
    No, that does not work at all. Showing only part of ring looks very un-AOish to me, and the rings have too much detail. After all, rings have quite consistent look in AO (orientation, size in icon)
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy006 View Post
    not everything should be easy

Quote Originally Posted by Krabicka View Post
    ... After all, rings have quite consistent look in AO (orientation, size in icon)
    first, I agree the 'Size' of the rings are consistent for the most part in AO. As for the 'Orientation' that is not the case, it seems almost every ring was rotated one way or another to fit each icon. (you can see a bit of this in the rings I placed in middle part of the backpack below)

Second, let's make a final decision on the filigree rings, in the sample below I have a 'full' ring resized to fit the 48x48 icon and the cropped version to show more detail. Which do you prefer?

Third, How about I go with the simplest way to give AO more backpacks for our sorting needs. I just make more icons that fit on the existing in-game design of the Large Backpack. (see the sample of some new backpack icons at the bottom of the image)

And here is the image referred to above..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Issues2Fix.jpg

Feedback, I need Feedback people, chop chop, stop lurking and post your comments.

Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Filigree rings: I like the detailed view. Using it with the same orienation for all these rings is a nice way to quickly ident what these are. Vote is for detailed.

Ring Orientation: In general rings in game have no consistent feel to them and your game examples prove that. I think family of rings should share a specific orienation and presentation as you are doing with the filigree. If you applied this concept to other family of rings like "rings of power" you could use a detail view of them as well. As they say in art and food. Presentation is the biggest part of the effort.

Back packs: I liked the first versions you did with a larger icon over the standard large backpack image. I really prefer the larger icon for easier ident of the pack type. I have always felt the crappy little image in the bottom corner was a cheap out on FC's part and your larger icon really was easier to see.

Status: So any offical word recently from FC? Or is this all still smoke and mirrors yes we want to use your stuff but have not had time to get to you? Considering that a good deal of your work is a drop in replacement I would think they would be on top of this. the items like back packs that are "new" will need other work and I understand that needing some scheduling. But still.

Request: Ok on Noob Island you can quest for a "backpack" and you get the stupid small packpack icon which is ugly and dated. Could you do up some super slick custom backpack icon for the noob island backpack that incoporates the AO logo and is completely different from any other backpack icon in game but retains the AO feel about it. I think it would just be cool if people got this really hot item on noob island. Something that visually is appealing enough to do the quest for it.

Misc: Awesome work. Love looking at it. Keep at it.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

I like the less detailed, non-zoomed version of the rings and the backpacks done the simpliest way. The more detailed versions don't feel "ao'ish".
    Berim, Lacian, Greyd, Misterburns, Techro and Hockenberry

That stuff really looks good, FC should employ you to make some unique Item-Pictures.
    New Engine isn't all, better looking items would be nice too.
    RK1
    Wildbret 220/30/70 Soldier Equip || Fechs 220/30/70 Enforcer Equip
    Graphit 220/30/70 Engineer Equip || Lanthan 220/30/70 Keeper Equip
    Valaris 220/30/62 Agent Equip || Arelia 220/30/63 Doctor Equip
    Wildberry 220/30/70 Shade Equip || Netima 220/30/70 Nano-Technician Equip
    Duktil 220/30/70 Bureaucrat Equip || Naitiri 220/30/70 Martial Artist Equip
    Zanid 220/30/70 Fixer Equip || Netifa 220/30/70 Nano-Technician Equip
    Widia 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist || Zernid 220/30/59 Trader
    RK2
    Netima 220/30/70 Adventurer Equip

I personally like the zoomed out full ring instead of the zoomed in version.

As far as backpacks go I would stick with the current style of large backpack just maybe shift the icon to the center of the pack, I think you actually did that in one version of them.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Issues2Fix.jpg

Feedback, I need Feedback people, chop chop, stop lurking and post your comments.

Cheers!
    The smaller version looks much better since it is for a ring. Now if you were doing something bigger like a bracelet that larger semi cut off image would be acceptable.
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Zoomed out version of the ring and more icons for the orriginal Large Backpack would have my vote too, although it may be nice to have a somewhat larger icon on top of the orriginal icon for better view.

Simplicity ftw! (although I did realy like some of the latest new backpack designs)

Page 33 of 67 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast