Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ao on dual graphics card laptop

ao on dual graphics card laptop

Hello,

Does anyone know how to force AO to run on the GPU on a dual graphics card system?

I have Acer 5560g laptop with Radeon 6520G integrated graphics + Radeon 6650M GPU, tried forcing anarchyonline.exe from the Catalyst control panel aswell as from RadeonPro, but ao always uses integrated chip..

any ideas?

Best Regards,

Ric
    Riczorz 220/30 Enforcer (Troxxorz/RK2)
    Riczor 220/30 Bureaucrat
    Ricmd 220/30 Doctor
    Ricmeister 220/30 Engineer
    Ricz 220/30 Keeper (Riverarc/RK2)

Expert Leveling [youtube.com]

https://www.twitch.tv/riczorz

Gotta turn on fixed GPU in bios i think.. AO as is now doesnt work with dynamic..

from what i know, ao doesnt use any gpu
    so you cant do anything

p.s.: i'm in the same situation... i have a geforce gt 740m with 2Gb but ao always takes my onboard video card, doesnt matter what i do

Quote Originally Posted by Riczor View Post
    anarchyonline.exe from the Catalyst control panel aswell as from RadeonPro, but ao always uses integrated chip..
    Try anarchy.exe instead of anarchyonline.exe

Right click the anarchy-online.exe>Run with graphicsprocessor>Choose your desired graphics card.

Note: You have to do this everytime you want to launch AO, I do it, It's not much of a hassle.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveerz View Post
    Right click the anarchy-online.exe>Run with graphicsprocessor>Choose your desired graphics card.

Note: You have to do this everytime you want to launch AO, I do it, It's not much of a hassle.
    no such option for me there

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    Try anarchy.exe instead of anarchyonline.exe
    Tried that. Also when I add anarchyonline.exe to RadeonPro and add Anarchy.exe to the "launcher" tab, then try to force crossfire for anarchyonline.exe, it starts but pressing play from launcher window just starts launcher again O.o so weird ..

- Ric

p.s. other games run fine on the GPU just by using the "switchable graphics" window in catalyst control center
    Riczor 220/30 Bureaucrat
    Ricmd 220/30 Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveerz View Post
    Looks like this is NVIDIA driver specific feature.. I wish AMD had that ><
    Riczor 220/30 Bureaucrat
    Ricmd 220/30 Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Riczor View Post
    Looks like this is NVIDIA driver specific feature.. I wish AMD had that ><
    dont worry, i tried that and doesnt work

Currently AO does not make use of your GPU, it's so old that most if not all grapics related stuff is handeled by the CPU. So you will have to wait for the New GFX engine, when ever it gets here, to make use of Your GPU's.
    Reading everything backwards.

i have no problems running any game with high requirements
    i have i7 @3.5ghz, 8gb ddr3 @1600mhz and geforce gt 740m @2gb
    with all these high specs (in my oppinion) i'm running ao in 15-35 fps
    but i got used to it

Quote Originally Posted by Hadean View Post
    Currently AO does not make use of your GPU, it's so old that most if not all grapics related stuff is handeled by the CPU. So you will have to wait for the New GFX engine, when ever it gets here, to make use of Your GPU's.
    True that. Now that I look at amd system monitor, when the game bogs down to 10-15 fps the load distribution is 80-90% cpu and 10-20% gpu >< .. old, ooooold engine
    Riczor 220/30 Bureaucrat
    Ricmd 220/30 Doctor

I just bought myself a laptop with an NVidia second card to play games on and here's what I found, I used gpu-z to confirm which card was running AO while I tested.

Every time I started AO in fullscreen I would get 15-20fps and it was using the built in intel 4000 graphics, it did not matter if I right clicked the exe and selected run with graphics processor or not.

My fix was to select run in a window and set borderless then I restarted it and did run with graphics processor and selected NVidia and I instantly get 60-75 fps, I went backwards to check and it dropped to 20 again.

So i'm fixed i'm guessing that the NVidia software only works if you run in a window and a fullscreen application ties in the intel hd for use, hope this helps someone else.

Having issues here as well, I've tried putting all the AO.exe's to maximum performance in the AMD 13.12 (Latest) Catalyst Control Center but I can't get the AO to use the discrete GPU. It works for other games like Oblivion and Benchmark software, so i'm sure it's the card is working.

I've got an MSI GX60 with an A-10 4600m 7660g CPU and HD 7970M card.

Checked bios no options to force the discrete card to be used.

Anyone know a way to solve this, I've tried everything I can think of.
    -Equilibrium-
    Perkable - 220/30 Crat
    Enforcblack - 220/30 Enf
    Blacklist - 200/30 Adv
    Blackhawkzz - 200/30 Crat
    Nano93 - 168/23 NT
    Blackhawkss - 164/22 Sold
    Black - 150/20 Enf
    Blackhawks - 126/15 Agent
    Cannibalz - 92/9 Enf
    Blackhawks00 -57/6 MP
    Blackhawkd - 29/3 Tard

Dunno if this helps but in the SETTINGS portion when you start AO, what options do you have there? If you select the graphics driver for the graphics card, does that force it?
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

The 7970m doesn't show up in the settings no. If only it were that easy
    -Equilibrium-
    Perkable - 220/30 Crat
    Enforcblack - 220/30 Enf
    Blacklist - 200/30 Adv
    Blackhawkzz - 200/30 Crat
    Nano93 - 168/23 NT
    Blackhawkss - 164/22 Sold
    Black - 150/20 Enf
    Blackhawks - 126/15 Agent
    Cannibalz - 92/9 Enf
    Blackhawks00 -57/6 MP
    Blackhawkd - 29/3 Tard

So is there any way to use the GPU? Its making the laptop i bought useless
    | Sweetouch - 220 Doc | Soulkrat - 218 Crat |
    | Darksith - 220 Shade | Necrid - 220 MA |
    | Neclid - 219 Soljer | Sweetcalms - 150 crat |

Works if you select Direct3D T&L HAL and run AO in window mode.

Odd why everyone has issues.
    I am on a desktop with dual monitors but I just use th elauncher to get what I want.

If I load Anarchy to the launcher, in the settings I have a number of graphics card options available. This is because of my dual monitors. Basically I get a T&L HAL and non T&L HAL options for each of my monitors. Once I worked out which one was which monitor I copied my client and have one load with the first T&L HAL options and the other client loading on the second. This automatically loads a client on each monitor which I have set up as window borderless.

Surely this can be implemented with the laptop? just go to the settings and select the correct card available?

Quote Originally Posted by Keepbrave View Post
    I am on a desktop with dual monitors but I just use th elauncher to get what I want.

If I load Anarchy to the launcher, in the settings I have a number of graphics card options available. This is because of my dual monitors. Basically I get a T&L HAL and non T&L HAL options for each of my monitors. Once I worked out which one was which monitor I copied my client and have one load with the first T&L HAL options and the other client loading on the second. This automatically loads a client on each monitor which I have set up as window borderless.

Surely this can be implemented with the laptop? just go to the settings and select the correct card available?
    Setting up monitors and video cards is a total different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepbrave View Post

Not really relevant. If you want a parable, it would be something like having a graphics card you only plug in when you want to play a game, while your PC is running, but not untill after you've actually launched the game, and you have trouble getting that to work with AO.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast