Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - January 23rd, 2009

Friday with Means - January 23rd, 2009

Synch Issues:

We have for some time been working on a more permanent solution to the "synch/lag" issues that seems to be randomly affecting players for some time. Within the next month we should have test dimensions up and running at another provider that will hopefully perform better during peak hours. Setting the game up itself isn't difficult, as we publish new servers etc all the time, it is the arcane art of monitoring/error reporting/billing/support tools for AO that is difficult. Either way I am very much looking forward to examining results from this new server/network environment. If all looks well we will move to the new environment as soon as humanly possible. Of course I will let you know when.

PVP Nanos:

Some adjustments have been made to the Fear nanos based on feedback. Again...these will go in when we can agree they are usefull but not overpowered.

Engineer Mines: currently being made by Metaing

Engineers will be able to place two mines at a time on the Battlestation. Mines will have a "Lifetime" of 8 minutes. The two mines that can be placed will be AOE snare (-2200 runspeed/30 seconds at 220) and AOE Nanodrain (-10000 at 220). Any combination of the two types can be placed. Mines will be visible by your own side, making it easier for other engineers to place theirs. Mines will be armed as soon as they are placed. I was hoping to take care of these myself but time has not allowed me to get to them. Any delay is entirely my fault. Metaing is now on it and we barely missed getting them into the version going to test this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of testing and feedback on this addition.

The Booster:

I would like to express my personal thanks to those of you who have been so helpfull on TestLive providing feedback on the new playfields and quests. The adjustments made to the content have been essential to the improvements I've seen in the last few weeks. I have decided to delay the booster an additional two weeks to allow time for the same process of review for the final two team instances and final raid encounter. These are playfields that are going to be played multiple times and deserve the best review process we can provide...if they don't pass muster in the TestLive phase they will get the redesign they need.

New in the not so distant future:

Instanced Cities:

Macrosun has taken it upon himself to create the instanced cities that have been long requested by the player base. This will be difficult...but he feels he is making good progress. The instanced nature of these playfields will make it impossible to have player owned shops...but the city bonuses and alien attacks should now be available to everyone. This is a long way from completion but at least work has begun on this issue that has been with us for a long time. "Normal" cities will still retain value due to their size and their player shops...but more AI content will now be available to all. I'm hoping we can also grant fr00b access to the org HQ's at the same time.

Profession Balancing Act:

Certain professions currently need more attention than others. We will be conducting a thorough profession review early this year, sharing our findings and acting on them in an upcoming profession "tweak" patch.

I'll be in Copenhagen again this weekend and the Skåne area. Thanks for all the Danes and Swedes who made last weekend so much fun. If anyone gets the chance to go to the Copenhagen Zoo it is fantastic...I haven't had that much fun in a long time. I'll be there again this Sunday so we can see the Elephants we missed last time.

Cheers,

Colin "Means" Cragg
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

first?
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

woot! Awesome news about the synch! Really looking forward to it!

Weaknesses? Can you please look at the blunt perklines?
    I can see the whinethreads incoming already regarding the tweak patch.
    Last edited by Harios; Jan 23rd, 2009 at 18:18:17.
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

Still no love for blunt perklines

Quote Originally Posted by krumpfwild View Post
    Still no love for blunt perklines
    It is on the list. It just isn't coming now.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    w00t !

You know, if you guys stopped banning people for no reason then you might actually have a playerbase to deliver this new content to....

"Your account has been TEMPORARILY suspended for violating the Rules of Conduct and End User License Agreement (EULA). Your actions include but are not limited to: Extreme Powerleveling"

Since when is powerleveling against the EULA?
    Last edited by Shiekah; Jan 23rd, 2009 at 18:20:51.

Synch Issues:
    (lots of nice stuff)
    Instanced Cities:

Macrosun has taken it upon himself to create the instanced cities that have been long requested by the player base. This will be difficult...but he feels he is making good progress. The instanced nature of these playfields will make it impossible to have player owned shops...but the city bonuses and alien attacks should now be available to everyone. This is a long way from completion but at least work has begun on this issue that has been with us for a long time. "Normal" cities will still retain value due to their size and their player shops...but more AI content will now be available to all. I'm hoping we can also grant fr00b access to the org HQ's at the same time.
    (more nice stuff)
    To the text in bold:
    If you somehow make it possible to buy the items in GMS from the GMS terminal (they spawn in your inventory, and is deleted from the target shop), this shouldn't be a problem. Just an idea.
    And yes, I know. It is SO much easier to say it, than to do it.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

ok now i have time to write a real reply (i never get ibtk) Im very happy to hear that the engie mines where not dropped completely with the knockback mechanic and even happier to see that the limit on "one mine at a time" has been increased to 2.

If these work and work well, would there be a possibility of more types of mine in the future being added, blinds/-innit/-aao/-aad etc?
    I see this addition as a very positive step towards being a true "support profession" and im eager to continue in that direction.
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Quote Originally Posted by Shiekah View Post
    You know, if you guys stopped banning people for no reason then you might actually have a playerbase to deliver this new content to....
    Interesting. I don't believe we are in the habit of banning people for no reason. I AM certain that banned players are in the habit of saying they were banned for no reason. I dream of a time when I can spend as much time making new and fun content as I am required to spend dealing with exploits and cheaters in our game...but I don't think that day will ever come.

Either way I'm noit going to discuss specific customer service actions here...I'm sure you already know that.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Smile

Wow,really nice job Mean. Engi mines seems me as fun+fixing synch issues<3

Synch Issues:

We have for some time been working on a more permanent solution to the "synch/lag" issues that seems to be randomly affecting players for some time. Within the next month we should have test dimensions up and running at another provider that will hopefully perform better during peak hours. Setting the game up itself isn't difficult, as we publish new servers etc all the time, it is the arcane art of monitoring/error reporting/billing/support tools for AO that is difficult. Either way I am very much looking forward to examining results from this new server/network environment. If all looks well we will move to the new environment as soon as humanly possible. Of course I will let you know when.
    ...SNIP....
    THIS!!!

OMG, please let it help... a lot....

I miss playing my keeper
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Interesting. I don't believe we are in the habit of banning people for no reason. I AM certain that banned players are in the habit of saying they were banned for no reason.
    Understandably so, however a GM once told me that banning/suspending accounts is always used as a last resort and after every other method has been exhausted. This has certainly not been the way my account has been handled.

Also, are you saying that powerleveling is cheating (oh and powerleveling isnt even mentioned in the eula btw)? O.o
    Last edited by Shiekah; Jan 23rd, 2009 at 18:29:35.

But it is on your tweaklist?

Quote Originally Posted by Harios View Post
    But it is on your tweaklist?
    The tweaklist includes, but is not limited to, trox's no longer being able to wear thongs if they are overwieght from too many cookies.
    I was "party A"

Also, are you saying that powerleveling is cheating (oh and powerleveling isnt even mentioned in the eula btw)? O.o
    One could insinuate that, but I don't think that's what he meant. But yeah, sometimes bans are thrown around too willy-nilly. I'm still waiting for my Ban from Roleplaying to be lifted after 2 years :-|
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Understandably so, however a GM once told me that banning/suspending accounts is always used as a last resort and after every other method has been exhausted. This has certainly not been the way my account has been handled.

Also, are you saying that powerleveling is cheating (oh and powerleveling isnt even mentioned in the eula)? O.o
    If a character has gained unfair advantage with their character ie: level 1 to 220 in 15 minutes that account won't be suspended as it will still be "ill-gained" 220 when the suspension lifts. Occurences like this are banned as that is the only fair outcome, much in the same way that bank robbers are not allowed to keep their stolen money.

I am not going to discuss the details of your case in this thread. I suggest you contact customer service if you believe there has been an error.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    The tweaklist includes, but is not limited to, trox's no longer being able to wear thongs if they are overwieght from too many cookies.
    I won't stop eating cookies.. but when you see me thongless FC will change their minds.

If a character has gained unfair advantage with their character ie: level 1 to 220 in 15 minutes that account won't be suspended as it will still be "ill-gained" 220 when the suspension lifts. Occurences like this are banned as that is the only fair outcome, much in the same way that bank robbers are not allowed to keep their stolen money.

I am not going to discuss the details of your case in this thread. I suggest you contact customer service if you believe there has been an error.
    Well 1-220 in 15 minutes isnt actually possible but I see what your getting at. I dont expect you to discuss this in this forum, my account was certainly suspended in error and I have contacted customer service and I'm just waiting for their response email now... not much else to do other than surf the forums

I'll be in Copenhagen again this weekend and the Skåne area. Thanks for all the Danes and Swedes who made last weekend so much fun. If anyone gets the chance to go to the Copenhagen Zoo it is fantastic...I haven't had that much fun in a long time. I'll be there again this Sunday so we can see the Elephants we missed last time.
    Was nice talking to you on the phone last weekend Colin.. this time we def need to meet up and go get a beer or something and talk some more
    Florentino"Marlark" Suitt
    Master of the Universe of The Asylum

[Genesis] Marlark: First rule of Genesis, Blame canada for anything and everything with other words blame Rotender.
    [Tsunameh]: i just bought this acct on ebay and you're only friend on the friendslist. There's no creds, could i get some plx?
    [Genesis] Marlark: **** HAPPEN WHEN YOU PARTY NAKED!!!!!!
    [Nipntuck]: what org r u in

Originally Posted by "Thetweek" : yeah well its a big thing to do marlark is like god :> so hard to go against him hehe

Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast