Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: NT's post rebalance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    The nanoweaving stuff got dropped for a few reasons, from both an implementation standpoint and a complexity standpoint. Looking at the design we originally had in mind, we ran into issues both in terms of creating all of the nanos needed to pull off the "weave" combinations (*doable*, but it still would have been a few hundred nano-effects) - There was also an issue in *forcing* NTs to cycle through variable damage types to achieve a specific weave effect, something that would have lead to an overwhelming complexity and a need for a *crapload* of hotbars to be set up for the NT. In a game with fewer damage types and less 'base' complexity, it's a great idea; but for NTs to retain their versatility in dealing variable damage types, it just made less and less practical sense as we went forward.
    This sounds good to me, personally wasnt looking forward to having to learn all the different combos or whatever...i also already have plenty of hotbars to be getting on with, no more plx!

Also, speaking of playing as a defensive NT, I'll tentatively say that in terms of defensive power and things to keep track of it should be a bit easier in the future to be defensively focused; you *will*, however, be trading off some damage for a better defense/off-tank build. Pumping as much as you can into Matter Creation will be what gives you maximum damage in the future, and to reach the top tier of nuking abilities you *will* need to twink the crap outta your MC; doing that is going to mean you're not going to be able to boost up your evades/AAD/ect. through gear, perk focusing and the like, however, so be prepared to make the choice between being a defensive mage or the much-fabled "glass cannon" of yore.
    Sounds like the current typical defensive setup for NTs is about to go poof completely! good in a way, but i sense some hate incoming from certain "OMG EVADES RAHHHH" NTs

you'll be making up for that with debuffing/protective abilities that you can utilize [and for the record, that stupid "defensive focus/offensive focus" stuff is going the way of the dinosaur ;P]).
    @ both points, more useful debuffing and protection would be epic and i HATE that def/off focus crap

Burst and alpha damage is going to become much more important to the NT in the future. Assuming you're running with a maximum MC setup you *will* be doing stupid crazy damage... you'll also crumple like a wet tissue paper if someone decides to whack on you for more than a few seconds, but you'll be lighting 'em on fire before you go. You'll also be able to relatively safely switch between offense and defense, and will have enhanced tools to act as a "oh crap" button should the big walking pile of rocks suddenly decide to beat you instead of the nice tall meatshield. So playing an NT overall should be a lot more rewarding, with a better focus on letting them actually twink their skills and utilize their full toolset when needed.
    Very interested in this burst/alpha damage idea, NTs about to become epic gankers? also...im hoping all these different types/speeds/whatever of nukes are going to include some nice new nano effects to go with them...i know its been mentioned previously, but id love to have some pretty new explosions to decorate bor with
    Vitaliy - 220/30 NM NT
    Vitiate - 220/30 Soli Crat
    Paralympics - 220/30 NM Agent
    Vitx - 150/20 Opi Tarder

Paradise & Parasite

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaliy View Post
    im hoping all these different types/speeds/whatever of nukes are going to include some nice new nano effects to go with them...i know its been mentioned previously, but id love to have some pretty new explosions to decorate bor with
    Soon as I can get my hands on the Dreamworld/Cheetah effects editor for the new engine you can damn well be sure I'm going to crank out some new hotness for effects. =D
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Oh, well if that's your department Kintaii, I want effects that make people on fire and icecubes, etc...

As for what is coming for NT's, it's exciting, not worrisome. I think it will make NT as everyone envisions and addresses some of the problems.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

If i'm guessing it right, next up are traders for docs, THEN US and agents last, correct?

Probably best not to anticipate when our docs are coming, might be longer than you think. In my opinion, I think MP and Advy will be done before us..but we'll see. No big rush.
    ....................................-Eridonis-
    ................-Sleighbells-................-Northpole-
    ....-Psyche-...............-Decembersky-...........-Karma-
    ...............-Winterbelle-.................-Snowing-
    .....................................-Graffiti-

Not quoting everything Kintaii said, but it pretty much all sounds good ! The Edta is pleased .
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

looks good kintaii.

Only thing that worries me a bit is that nanomage will end up outperforming all other breeds to the point there is really no other breed options left. Nanocost, Higher MC, HP-to-NP conversion rate, amount of HP transferred to NP, perks, etc.

From what I've understood a breed change will be included so no biggie (apart from the fuuugly avatars), but still; Diversity will suffer a lot.
    Delerium(220/30/70), Locklear(220/30/70), Piggybank(60/6/14).

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Richard Dawkins: We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    Deng: Every time I see Del I just start to quiver.

Kintaii: I so badly want your job right now.

haha

hahahahahahahahahaha

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha
    now that was mean

anyway, I think you all don't get it, a better NT is an NT that can heal like mad and nuke also. and nobody can deny how nuke focused docs are to become.

also...I'm not sure how a (pre-tl7) defensive built NT can do less dmg than we already do lol, that's pretty funny. but I'm seriously looking forward to this now. dying to have a reason to experiment with new setups.

p.s. - i hope you spit soda out your nose you laughed so hard _~~ meany
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Well if they want have nukes with different speed/dmg/effect, I think those RK nukes are "somewhat" good reference. Lower NR check for RK nukes, remove the taunt at RK nuke I dont wanna tank....

btw, I hope no more cap casting speed(2secs) on any nanos, as so some of us would prefer twink nanoinit.
    Last edited by Ceenah2; Jan 20th, 2011 at 06:55:46.
    Ceenah 220/30/66 PvM NT @ Newcomers Alliance
    Eeenah 199/0 Froob NT @ Newcomers Alliance

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by RedWatr View Post
    now that was mean

p.s. - i hope you spit soda out your nose you laughed so hard _~~ meany
    sorry duder i meant it more like a kind of mad scientist thing and not all like "neener neener neeeenerrrr" - i probably should have gone for a "mwaahahaha" but it was really late and i was not entirely sober. can we still be e-bros?
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

E-bros before e-hoes...
    .:: Proud Member of Obsidian Order RK1 ::.

Quote Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
    looks good kintaii.

Only thing that worries me a bit is that nanomage will end up outperforming all other breeds to the point there is really no other breed options left. Nanocost, Higher MC, HP-to-NP conversion rate, amount of HP transferred to NP, perks, etc.

From what I've understood a breed change will be included so no biggie (apart from the fuuugly avatars), but still; Diversity will suffer a lot.
    If we still have your attention, Kintaii, that.
    The inherent benefits of being nanomage don't need to be redundantly extended into the core mechanics of our new toolset, they are great enough as they are.
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT
    Sethis, Neutral TL7 Keeper
    Anthraxal, Omni TL5 Enfotrox

Funcom employee

I'm not gonna lie - In the entirety of this process, we've set out to make breed choice actually *matter* again, and your playstyle *will* be influenced by your breed of choice. Importance of breed choice is one of those things that has heavily slipped over the years - No one can sit here and convince me that Atrox should be the obvious breed-of-choice for the majority of the professions in-game, but yet that's where we've tended to find ourselves.

The only real "benefit" Nanomages have at the moment are the increased benefits from NBS/G/Shelter (which, for the record, are disappearing from those nanos - we're attempting to remove that sort of "breed-based benefit" from nanos where-ever we can) and the Dreadloch HUD item (which is also likely to receive changes during the item rebalancing). Prior to those, Atrox was *the* breed choice for a long time, and the only reason it swung back to NM was due to (what are in my own opinion) bandaid 'balance fixes' brought on by the aforementioned items/nanos.

Will an Atrox NT still be able to bring the pain? Yes. But they'll really shine as a defensive tank NT. Opifex can do the same, but they'll work better with evading. Nanomages are by design weaker and smarter than other breeds; they, just by natural default, will be able to receive higher nanoskill ratings and will be able to unleash serious hurt, but they're still squishy - Aggro management (and understanding their active defensive toolset) will be extremely important to them should they decide to go for all-out damage. All of the breeds *will* be able to go for a max-damage or defensive setup if they *want*, but some breeds will be better for certain things than others.

Breed choice *has* to make a difference and be important, and doing that through lame breed-exclusion on nanos or via a single item is just... not cool. At least to me. Each breed will have their points, purposes, and strengths, but don't expect an Atrox NT to have the same advantages/disadvantages as a Nanomage. Having breeds doing the same thing is lame - If everyone performs roughly the same, then what's the importance of the choice?

AO is and has always been about experimentation in setups. It's what makes it *AO* - Trying different things, screwing around with equipment, figuring out what makes for a unique build and twinking on random crap to see how well it flies. Allowing for differences between the breed choices enhances that ability to experiment, and really brings the game a lot closer to its original roots (y'know, before we started putting Int/Psy on all the Atrox gear ;P). Choices are a good thing - It's what makes us unique. And enhancing the differences that those breed choices make will only aid in the experimentation that makes AO's gameplay different and fun.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

Exactly, which is why we always get back to the Cyberdeck and its issues

If the game is about choice, then it becomes problematic if the choices you have is to either a) use a weapon and lose access to all profession special abilities, or b) use cyberdeck and have no real choice in terms of equipment. Maybe if there were multiple cyberdecks with weaponlike effects.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Jan 20th, 2011 at 14:36:21.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Funcom employee

I'll drop this much in terms of discussing the cyberdeck and the upcoming rebalancing.

I have always hated the fact that NTs are straight-up locked to the 'deck. Its lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lamelamelamelamelame. Lame. So lame. Laaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Part of the rebalancing will include removing a good majority of the CD locks from the NT toolset - There *will* be some of your toolset that has the CD lock, and wearing a CD will be what gives you access to the new unique system we're working on for NTs (currently referred to as "Nano Bursts"). However, should the NT decide they want to try going for, say, a pistol setup, I would very much like to attempt ensuring that it's something they don't feel completely gimped for experimenting with.

Again, choices. Choices are a good thing. Some choices will inherently be better than others, but each choice should come with something that makes it attractive. I hope in the future that we can ensure these sorts of choices are in at least some way appealing for Nanotechnicians. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

In the way you have described Kintaii the breed is becoming more important, which is a good thing, however some poeple may find they have chosen a breed which no longer suits their playstyle, but which they are stuck with.
    I was expecting the breed change to take form as a sold service in the shop, however with such severe changes will it be available for free at all (even if for a short time?)

Var
    Varsbot
    Variable004

Funcom employee

We've said before that we're planning on giving players a free breed change (and a full IPR) when the rebalancing rolls around, and that is still in the works. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

Lovely, must have missed that one. Thanks for the confirmation.

Var
    Varsbot
    Variable004

I'm not gonna lie - In the entirety of this process, we've set out to make breed choice actually *matter* again, and your playstyle *will* be influenced by your breed of choice. Importance of breed choice is one of those things that has heavily slipped over the years - No one can sit here and convince me that Atrox should be the obvious breed-of-choice for the majority of the professions in-game, but yet that's where we've tended to find ourselves.

The only real "benefit" Nanomages have at the moment are the increased benefits from NBS/G/Shelter (which, for the record, are disappearing from those nanos - we're attempting to remove that sort of "breed-based benefit" from nanos where-ever we can) and the Dreadloch HUD item (which is also likely to receive changes during the item rebalancing). Prior to those, Atrox was *the* breed choice for a long time, and the only reason it swung back to NM was due to (what are in my own opinion) bandaid 'balance fixes' brought on by the aforementioned items/nanos.

Will an Atrox NT still be able to bring the pain? Yes. But they'll really shine as a defensive tank NT. Opifex can do the same, but they'll work better with evading. Nanomages are by design weaker and smarter than other breeds; they, just by natural default, will be able to receive higher nanoskill ratings and will be able to unleash serious hurt, but they're still squishy - Aggro management (and understanding their active defensive toolset) will be extremely important to them should they decide to go for all-out damage. All of the breeds *will* be able to go for a max-damage or defensive setup if they *want*, but some breeds will be better for certain things than others.

Breed choice *has* to make a difference and be important, and doing that through lame breed-exclusion on nanos or via a single item is just... not cool. At least to me. Each breed will have their points, purposes, and strengths, but don't expect an Atrox NT to have the same advantages/disadvantages as a Nanomage. Having breeds doing the same thing is lame - If everyone performs roughly the same, then what's the importance of the choice?

AO is and has always been about experimentation in setups. It's what makes it *AO* - Trying different things, screwing around with equipment, figuring out what makes for a unique build and twinking on random crap to see how well it flies. Allowing for differences between the breed choices enhances that ability to experiment, and really brings the game a lot closer to its original roots (y'know, before we started putting Int/Psy on all the Atrox gear ;P). Choices are a good thing - It's what makes us unique. And enhancing the differences that those breed choices make will only aid in the experimentation that makes AO's gameplay different and fun.
    We are in agreement I think.
    NMs from the post-rebalancing era will have an easier time reaching the best damage templates, will keep their better Nanopool to nanopoints ratio as well as a better cost reduction, and will even have their breed special for higher damage bursts (though I strongly hope it won't remain at +50% nanodamage increase).
    These are good enough advantages over other breeds, good enough to exclude 2 important elements :

1) They should have an easier time reaching the highest damage template, but not be the only breed able to achieve it in a reasonably good setup. Any NT of any breed with enough work on his setup and a decent amount of MC buffing gear should be able to achieve the same result.

2) The new NT toolset shouldn't have different effects according to the breed of the NT. Leave breed benefits to breed features, don't make them redundant or complementary with breed-specific nano effects.
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT
    Sethis, Neutral TL7 Keeper
    Anthraxal, Omni TL5 Enfotrox

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast