Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 10th, 2009 - Stims, Neutrals, Content and Vacation

Funcom employee Friday with Means - July 10th, 2009 - Stims, Neutrals, Content and Vacation

I am on vacation this coming week with my sister here in Oslo for a visit...so next week's update from me might perhaps be a little "thin"...but anb in-game update should be arriving next week to address some of the recent issues both from 18.1 and earlier.

To start off this week let me say this about the "Stims": A few people get some more XP than others...or some pay market value credits for the priviledge. Fine. If this was the biggest issue we had at the moment and was deserving of all this attention and drama...then I think AO would be in fantastic shape. I however am going to take this more as "symptom" of problems within the game...the effort required to level through 200 regular levels, 20 Shadowlevels, 30 Alien levels and 70 lines of personal research is enough that it has become essential to "shortcut" this as much as possible. Making this long leveling issue less painfull is the real issue that needs to be addressed...not these stims. We have been discussing this issue for quite some time...some action will need to be taken in the near future.

Neutrals

After long thought and discussion with both neutral and sided players alike I am preparing to move forward with some actual action on this issue. This will consist of two separate actions:

1. High-level side change forms will become available to neutral players.

These forms will require significant sided faction to use (meaning the work to establish faction as a sided player can not be skipped.). Once the neutral player has chosen a side, they will receive their sided token board and will be able to obtain tokens in exactly the same manner as a sided player. This is fair.

2. The current power gap will be "Narrowed".

It was always intended that neutral as a side should, as primarily an RP choice, not be an equal power to the two main factions of Omni and Clan. The existance of a third alternative makes for interesting politicking within the population and leads to unforseen changes in the immediate balance of power. This will continue to be true in the forseeable future. However, the "gap" between the sided factions and neutrals in terms of individual character power has widened over the last few years with the addition of certain neck items. Neutrals who wish to remain Neutral will have the opportunity to obtain items that will narrow this gap to the previous reasonable levels.

Both these two actions will be included in the very near future...though unfortunately not in next week's planned update...the one after that should be reasonably certain.

Incoming Content

While next week's update will consist almost entirely bug-fixing here is what you can expect to see very soon after. (Despite most of the team on vacation in the near future.)

- The first new nightclub in many years will be opened with appropriate fanfare and an event on the new space station.
    - The new 150-200 instance style solo/team playfield is nearing completion and is currently beginning testing on the test realm.
    - The first of a network of daily missions to speed up leveling and add variety to the journey.
    - More balancing changes.

Fixers

Next week will not see the +500 Full Auto issue fixed unfortunately. It has proven to be a larger change than originally thought to get this band-aid type temporary measure in place. We have been having discussions regardling the larger changes required to return fixers to what makes them special and hope to include the fixer community in these discussions in the very near future. We all want to see the fast moving hacker/slicer type class working the way it should and standing apart from the other choices....what makes fixers special seems to have been lost along the way...we need to find it again and bring it back.

German Server

With numbers the way they were in the survey I fully understand that some of you are unhappy with our decision to make efforts to revitalize the server and not immediately enable methods of leaving it. We will be making efforts over the next three months at increasing the populations/activity on this and all servers...should our efforts not succeed in bringing activity up to a reasonable level and increase player satisfaction then we will consider other options and move forward with a plan. The efforts or the german server to ease the experience of new players is commendable...the new player private chat channel is an excellent idea. Character Transfer or other options might have to be executed at some point in time...I just do not believe we are there yet without ever making a specific effort to alleviate the issue. Closing a server is a big decision and not one to be considered lightly. Allowing "some" players to leave easily would have disasterous effects on the population that decides to stay. I refuse to open the parachute before jumping out of the plane.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

First.

In before Macrosun!

Glad that you see what the real issue behind stims actually is.

2nd....about as close as I'll come to 1st....

Good moves all around.

Question: Is the 150-200 instance level locked?
    Last edited by vadagget; Jul 10th, 2009 at 15:49:34.
    I am Dagget

omg how many 220 neuts will switch!
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

Seventh
    Last edited by Sephiroth56; Jul 10th, 2009 at 15:49:58.
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Funcom employee

5th, and previous poster fails at counting!

Real fake edit: I can see my house from here!
    Last edited by Macrosun; Jul 10th, 2009 at 15:51:26.

#6!

....i am not a number, i am a free man!

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

7th
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

As i posted in another thread.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=557342

Before there were real MMO's there was MW4 mercs. When MSN games was at its high point this was probably one of the most active games on the web.

Now that its official and the Mechwarrior franchise is coming back to the PC I would like to know from the AO staff Just what steps it will be taking to improve this travesty you call mech combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    5th, and previous poster fails at counting!

Real fake edit: I can see my house from here!
    Does not! I can count all the way up to 56!

Fake real edit: I can see your house from here :>
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Last!!!! at least for a while
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

will sided players ever be able to go neutral???

Exclamation

^_= sided at high lv...wonder what the gap difference will be for staing neutral? if new neck item for neut comes out
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Unlike the clanners, who always treated Neuts as 2nd class people when it came to raiding, we on Omni side will be glad to see most if not all neut tl7 players join our side with the new application forms.
    Prynxkjui 220 NM MP / Prynjunior 220 Soli Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post

To start off this week let me say this about the "Stims": A few people get some more XP than others...or some pay market value credits for the priviledge. Fine. If this was the biggest issue we had at the moment and was deserving of all this attention and drama...then I think AO would be in fantastic shape. I however am going to take this more as "symptom" of problems within the game...the effort required to level through 200 regular levels, 20 Shadowlevels, 30 Alien levels and 70 lines of personal research is enough that it has become essential to "shortcut" this as much as possible. Making this long leveling issue less painfull is the real issue that needs to be addressed...not these stims. We have been discussing this issue for quite some time...some action will need to be taken in the near future.

Incoming Content

While next week's update will consist almost entirely bug-fixing here is what you can expect to see very soon after. (Despite most of the team on vacation in the near future.)

- The first new nightclub in many years will be opened with appropriate fanfare and an event on the new space station.
    - The new 150-200 instance style solo/team playfield is nearing completion and is currently beginning testing on the test realm.
    - The first of a network of daily missions to speed up leveling and add variety to the journey.
    OMFG!!!! THANK YOU MEANS!!! If I were a chick I'd TOTALLY offer to have your babies! I've been waiting for SOOOO LONG for an improvement to the leveling curve and to increased soloing content options. YOU, sir, ARE A GOD!!!

If I could hack AO and install that Giant Nickel Statue of you with the worshipping leets at your feet I would!

Now, I need to go towel myself off!
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Prynxkjui View Post
    Unlike the clanners, who always treated Neuts as 2nd class people when it came to raiding, we on Omni side will be glad to see most if not all neut tl7 players join our side with the new application forms.
    Now I know why omlets always smell...it's that brown crap on your nose...right there...can't you see it? Here, wipe it off with this Kleenex of the Xan.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Feazlatmeppletrofmatagrimfrauer

Dunno what number that is but i'm that one!

WTB lazors(omgwtfpewpewpew!) in the new club.
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

The first of a network of daily missions to speed up leveling and add variety to the journey.

oh, yay, my first ever question to an ARK (apart from the greeter I thought was a chat-bot) was "what is the diference between this and Diablo II?

the endless missions all being the same, where should I go?

We have the Subway, ToTW, biomare, Sector 10 and now a new 150-200 place.

Thank you for making leveling more variated and fun, I agree, that is exactly what we need.

Thank you Means

(along with a balancing act, so every profession will be able to have fun, not just the twinks)

Kind Regards
    Ariensky

PS. How is it going with the Bow Agent love?
    as it is now Agents are cut out of the "Ranger" perk line at the 6th perk.
    We do not have access to the MA bow buffing line.

Bow is after all the only weaponskill, together with pistol and rifle, that is not dark blue.
    "Bow special attack" skill is light blue, while fling and burst are not.

Taking the skill colours and to some extend the perks, Bow Agent should be a possibility.

though we have no Agent buffs for it, just the Soldier "Total Focus" and trader wranglers.

(talking about skill colours: WTT the light green melee "Sneak attack" skill with a green bow skill..)

PPS. Are there other Bow Agents out there I can seek advise with?
    Currently my damage suck!
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast