Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A quick Update

A quick Update

I just wanted to give a quick update on things going into the weekend and explain a little on the status on test-live.

One of the things we haven't mentioned yet with this update is a key part of the process and something we had wanted to keep 'under wraps' as it were until we thought it might work as it most definitely falls under the 'man, will they ever fix...' category.

Basically a little while ago one of the coders came up with a new way of the network handling 'action' requests and how they were queued in the system. The result of this should be that we finally see the back of 'already executing' messages when an action is blocked by a passive refresh, tic or forced cast that isn't under your direct control, as in auras and several other actions. This is obviously something that has been brought up many times over the years.

The fix though is risky and involved an extensive re-write of the related sections of the code. It also may not remove the problem entirely, although we are hopeful that it will.

Currently the fix is on test-live but is causing some crashes both on client side and server side and will require additional testing and work.

Given the fact it is one of the things people have most wanted fixed down the years we feel it is worth taking the time to try and include with this update. We will be continuing work on it over the next week and see what the status of the related issues is on test-live as we do so. (and on a side note obviously any additional feedback from test-live will help narrow down the issues, so there has never been a more helpful time to spend some time on the test dimension)

If we don't make too much headway on resolving the related crashes we may consider pushing it out while we work on it some more, but we will take that as it comes.

In terms of the raid interface itself, the work is progressing nicely. We are still looking at the loot distribution and exp distribution implications of raids and that's the current focus.

So there you have it, that's where we are at with the update. We will of course keep you updated as we move along.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

w00t nice job!
    Contra
    Urynt
    Malraux
    Fontane
    Critbull
    Cleanex
    Fontane2

Awesome work Sill n co. This is the kinda stuff that gives us old fogies hope for tomorrow !

The NTs will definitely make love to you if pulled off successfully.

Nice work
    Lukew
    neutral Third Faction

May the farce be with you.

The Ultimate YouTube Song-Off Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    <Q> /afk (I'm a keeper now)

Great stuff.

P.S.
    As long as it doesn't fux up pet pathing even more, it's fine.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Exciting news, this is one of the big ones, that affects everyone to a degree. My first thought was 'Damn, when the name change system comes in I'm so playing my NT again!'. Was always the plan, but not one I was ever excited about.

Doctors would probably be extremely pleased as well. And anyone effected by this during PVP, where it's painfully more apparent, for casters.

yes nice job and I can see you are slowly but surely working your way towards pet pathing rewrite...right??
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Dirty Underpants of Bungerman
    Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

Probably worth also mentioning that zoning is rather snappier on test these days too, another little tweak from Macro's almost infinite band of coding monkeys
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Yarr, nice work with the Already executing bug!

Also zoning activates MUCH faster now than on live, great stuff
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

wtf nrf aNTeeess!!!1!
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by bungerman View Post
    yes nice job and I can see you are slowly but surely working your way towards pet pathing rewrite...right??
    I am pretty sure that till the new engine is released you won't see much progress on that front because of how the old engine is handled.. I could look up the various DEV posts on the topic from before but safe to say they've explained it is as optimized as it can get using this existing code base.. unless something has magically changed recently

Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    Doctors would probably be extremely pleased as well. And anyone effected by this during PVP, where it's painfully more apparent, for casters.
    Not really, now I need to find another excuse for why I didn't heal someone
    President of Bug Busters, Omni Tek - Rimor. Interested in joining?

Okay, all the doctors except Disodoctor will be pleased. It's one of their most popular complaints.

Heh, I was standing all alone when Comp Mochies got their time debuff and everyone did the ticketape parade except me who needed a new excuse not to buff. :P

Thankfully, Fixichong provided it not a day later. *Grin*

NT/doc lub

<3
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane View Post
    Probably worth also mentioning that zoning is rather snappier on test these days too, another little tweak from Macro's almost infinite band of coding monkeys
    i thought this was just due to lower server strain on test, due to the lower population?
    'Fbwhitey' : 220/26 Nano NT [PvP]
    'Garnerana' : 220/22 Trox Keeper [PvM]
    'Zinc' : 220/30 Trox Doctor [PvP]
    'Whex' : 171/22 Trox Soldier

FINALLY!!! *faints* If this get fixed, I'll be more than a crazy NT, I will be a crazy, happy NT.
    Macite0000|.220/2300Nano-Technician
    Macilicious00220/2700Doctor
    Macii000000.220/3000Shade
    Macist0000_.210/2200Bureaucrat

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy
    i thought this was just due to lower server strain on test, due to the lower population?
    Everything about testlive zips about on hyper speed, with a grand total of 30 people on at like... peak load on testlive day when theres something really cool to play with.

But if you really want to test it, fly out to SAV and bench mark zoning to CAV. Then repeat it on Testlive. If testlive is faster on the same machine with the same settings, well then, its logical to assume something other than your computer has changed.

Myself, I always thought zoning came down to brute force; ram and hard drive speed; players in the vicinity of where you actually doing the zoning (on the other side) being a significant factor. Ie, my SAV/CAV example on both servers should be considerably faster than NL/BOR on live. NL/BOR on live should be drastically slower than NL/BOR on test. CPU usage drops sharply while actually doing the zoning, it's probably not a major factor.
    Last edited by egadsrk2; Jul 25th, 2008 at 23:45:43.

The way the game loads data can also be handled differently to make it faster. We saw many decreases in loadtimes over the years.

Macrosun for president btw <3
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    The fix though is risky and involved an extensive re-write of the related sections of the code. It also may not remove the problem entirely, although we are hopeful that it will.
    You sound like me when I'm coding in my RP Bots, lol
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Bump for FC coder aware about "Design Patterns" and hope he isn't someone who read related book 1 week ago.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast