Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 18.8.0 Update Notes

18.8.0 Update Notes

So ... we can patch tomorrow without uploading the new engine stuff?

If we don't upload the new engine stuff tomorrow, can we do it later, "on our own time", i.e. not during a patch?
    Will all our preferences carry over if we install the new engine stuff?

Which grid entrance moved?

Emma

oh god. if preferences are reset, I'm never DLing the new engine.

I spent enough time setting up prefs since the merge to level 2 220's. I'm not doing that again.

Adjusted AI Bot drops on ground and ship.
    Please Michi tell us what the droprate got adjusted to, i belive it was around 7% last time any1 touched it, what is it now?
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post

I spent enough time setting up prefs since the merge to level 2 220's. I'm not doing that again.
    I was just able to duplicate my "live" settings to the test release, so I don't see it being impossible.

At most, there may be copy / pasta involved.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    Which grid entrance moved?
    I'm hoping this means "moving forward when you enter the grid won't dump you into omni territory".

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post

Character prefs are ~100% compatible. Just copy the relevant folder(s) for your account(s)/character(s) to the right place. I did it on Testlive and on Beta for my "pseudo-clones" from Live and it worked fine.

I'm guessing you know how to do this fairly well due to the whole multibox thing. If you or anyone else doesn't and would like to keep their UI / Bags intact in the new engine.. give me a poke here or in-game.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Yeah thats how I interpreted it. You should be able to copy your prefs over from your old installation.

If there even is a new installation. As I read it you might just be able to put this over your current live install. But we'll see if any further instructions are posted with the link.

In any case just make a backup of your prefs and maybe even your current live game as a safety measure.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Quote Originally Posted by Misat0 View Post
    If there even is a new installation. As I read it you might just be able to put this over your current live install. But we'll see if any further instructions are posted with the link.

In any case just make a backup of your prefs and maybe even your current live game as a safety measure.
    This may cause issues. At least on Testlive people were being recommended to do a fresh install to avoid patching and/or instacrashing issues.
    Given there are two clients being maintained for the time being it's likely better to keep them separate (or just keep one of them if drive space is an issue)
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

I'm getting the word out 8)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6mIRbYbCQ
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

This ninja drop of the new engine is a "eff this, it's not going to be better than this" move ?
    No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendaar View Post
    This ninja drop of the new engine is a "eff this, it's not going to be better than this" move ?
    Seems like it. I guess it'll never see the improvements that were worked on earlier and now they're just going to squander the PR on "AO gets new engine to coincide with 14th birthday".
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

i hope someone just post a "clear & leet friendly" step to copying preferences over.
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Do a fresh install, copy pasta your prefs in. It worked on Beta and that needed fiddly charid matching which shouldn't be required in this case.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Hokutonoken View Post
    i hope someone just post a "clear & leet friendly" step to copying preferences over.
    This is the simplest I can make it...

BEFORE RUNNING THE NEW ENGINE (that you put in a brand new fresh folder to avoid any issues):

- Windows Key+R
    - Type %localappdata%/Funcom and press enter
    - Go into the Anarchy Online folder
    - Go into the weirdly named folder, something like d953185a. If there's more than one then you're going to have to figure out which one it is.. it's usually the one with the latest date modified!
    - Inside this, you'll have a folder with the same name as the folder that has your Anarchy Online installation. Usually.. it's Anarchy Online.. but just like before.. latest date modified is a good way to get the right one.
    - Copy the Prefs folder from there to a safe place. COPY, do not MOVE it!

After that's done with..

- Run the NEW ENGINE once and log into any character. Log off with the usual 30s timer without alt-f4'ing twice or anything "quick" involved. Exit AO afterwards.
    - Windows Key+R
    - Type %localappdata%/Funcom and press enter
    - Go into the Anarchy Online folder
    - If there's a new weirdly named folder, go in there. If not, go into the previous weirdly named folder
    - You will now have a new folder with the same name as the New Engine's installation folder, get in there
    - Copy or Move the Prefs folder you've previously saved over the one in there.

You now have your old engine Preferences on the New Engine.

IF you have a custom UI set up you can apply it to the New Engine as well by copying over the Gui folder too. This may not always be the best idea given the Options panel changed and you'd probably have to delete the customized one to access the New Engine's video settings..

Custom Maps (AoRK/AoSL/etc) are not copied in this process.. to do that you have to install them the same way you did before but on the New Engine folder.. or copy the ones you have in <your old AO Install folder here>/cd_image/textures/PlanetMap to <your New Engine Install folder here>/cd_image/textures/PlanetMap

If someone could simplify this without shoehorning in videos or scripts/apps to do it it would be great.. I can't do it myself.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

beep: still crashes on TestLive when zoning

I hope they will upgrade NE with new assets, and moving it into Live is a good move now, bust there are tiny things to repair which can boost looks of NE a ton (like I said: trees, some textures).
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Don't use new engine unless you're in a situation where the laptop you're trying to run AO on isn't able to do so. It'll require 25gb install space to do so and performance will be degraded in the loading department.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Don't use new engine unless you're in a situation where the laptop you're trying to run AO on isn't able to do so. It'll require 25gb install space to do so and performance will be degraded in the loading department.
    To be fair, the Testlive version ran mostly great here on an SSD both on the loading and on the general performance side of things. ICC HQ takes a while (2-3 full seconds) loading buildings/textures/etc but most other zones load nearly instantly. There were a few models with issues, namely dragons (like Tarasque or Tuq'usk) and Mantis Queen that weren't being displayed properly but I hope that's fixed for the Live version.

Relevant Specs with 100 fps pretty much everywhere and 50-70 on ICC HQ at 1920x1080:
    AMD 8350 @ 4.5GHz
    16GB RAM
    GTX 780

EDIT: I do agree the requirements hike is pretty steep, especially for those dual logging.. and the benefit will mostly be improved aliasing and lighting.. it's not amazingly better due to the lack of new 3d models for characters/mobs/etc, just overall nicer to look at. If you can't spare the space/don't get good FPS.. keep the old client around.
    Last edited by DigitalBath; Jun 25th, 2015 at 13:20:20.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

Guess I need to buy SSD now, because ICC is loading for me around 60-70 seconds total, and other zones around 5-20 seconds :/ (yes, I have 8 years old HDD )
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    Guess I need to buy SSD now, because ICC is loading for me around 60-70 seconds total, and other zones around 5-20 seconds :/ (yes, I have 8 years old HDD )
    Both AO and your Operating System (pleease install it in there!) in general will run pretty insanely faster.
    I find it hard to explain, really.

Best "time saver" I personally witnessed was my girlfriend's laptop running The Sims 3 with ~20-25GB of custom content. Before the SSD it took her about 1h15 loading the game (no, i'm not kidding). After the SSD it took her around 4min30s.

Still pretty steep and I think she's insane for putting up with it but the point stand. SSD's can bring dramatic changes to loading times
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>