Thread: How to get a name?

How to get a name?

Someone has a level 1 character on an account with a name I'd like. I'm frankly surprised they are using it, as I've never seen it used anywhere else before. Anyway, how does one go about finding out the other character names on an account to see about possibly getting them to delete their level 1 char so someone else can use the name? What if it is an inactive account that someone just used during the free 7 days? It seems that maybe accounts should be deleted after a certain amount of time anyway.

It'd be nice to get a real name. I've run out of my own, and do not want to run around with a silly name or a misspelled name (no offense), such as for instance Johnnn for John, or Alice1234 for Alice. You see my point.

The problem is that the character might have already been deleted but the name has not been released, i have two accounts and any names that use/used on acount A I can not use on Account B, I can recreated the characters with in the same account but I can't release any of the names of characters I no longer use so that they could be used by others.

you see this "proof" when you log onto the chat client and it has 50+ names in it.

fyi you can usally still log into the chat client with these extra characters and chat as though they were still ingame.
    ~I am the Virtual Virus

So is there nothing that can be done?

I kind of hope not, at least I hope they don't do any such thing as cleaning names without first giving us notice. I make all my names up, but I do have low level characters that I've used to hold my names from other games. If I have to log them on every so often and play for a bit, that's fine, but I'd like to know that's a new requirement.

Regarding closed accounts, I closed my account for a while last autumn, and it was nice to return to my characters when I reopened my subscription. I know I'm not alone in that, either. So, it's a larger issue than just 'flushing' inactive accounts, I think.

Well, it's just a name. I don't think FC would waste time bothering with something like this anyway. Besides, I wouldn't want a name to be cleared or something from an inactive account only to have it activated again and the person being upset. As I said, it is just a name, for an alt at that.

well i mean more so the names of characters you once had but have since deleted. These are the names that are not getting released. as far as the whole freeing up unused names, I remmber that the big debate is if to include active accounts, most of the info i have see on the boards indicates this is for inactive accounts since even if a account is inactive and the characters have since been deleted from the server(3mo after last day of your billing cycle) are the ones that need to be purged.

Its just that until they(FC) figures out a way to remove a character that has been deleted from the account that created it, it(the name) will continue to appear in use.
    ~I am the Virtual Virus

btw heres a example of all the names(- the ones i dont want to loose) that i have on my accounts(IE i have two) that cant be used by another login

Tormentus
    Darkwarp
    Xybervira
    Xyberviri2
    Drkines
    Unkt
    Aeru
    Tabid
    Anihiist
    Dissilience
    Losinghope
    Janissar
    Guildbankbot
    Mercature
    Aedile
    Respit
    Bowlslaw
    Qhiroma
    whiteant
    Tads
    Henrey
    Naidraug
    Hoodoovoo
    Hoodoovoodoo
    ~I am the Virtual Virus

Arrow

When a user deletes a character, the name should remain for 24 hours then be deleted too. This allows a player to recreate a character with the same name whilst still allowing names of deleted characters to be returned to the pool.

Cancelled accounts are a different issue entirely. FC state they will keep characters for a minimum of three months, and to date I do not think they have actually deleted any.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

what's in a name?

I stand fully behind Funcom and their "not deleting" policy. As a player who cancelled, went away for 3 months and came back to be able to play my same character was a god send.
    So, it's sorta social, Demented and SAD, but social.
    (The Breakfast Club)
    Coagulator - General of the Professionals

I agree with Xyberviri. There are, simply put, names I have no desire to lose under any circumstances, and making up a character to hold the name place until I get around to building them up is my perogative. Is the first-come, first-served state of affairs a little unfair? Maybe, and annoying, too given the influx now of numbered names, but I don't imagine this changing anytime soon.

Out of curiosity, what is the name you are looking for?
    Rhiannon "Krystanova" Pourier
    Xenobiologist and Explorer, 179 Adventurer
    Explorer 100%, Achiever 53%, Socializer 47%, Killer 0%

Visit Faunlore: Rubi-Kan Wildlife, the Anarchy Online bestiary!

The name is Amiel. It's on RK-1 (http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...kup/chars.html). RK-2 doesn't have that name taken, but I don't play there!

I really don't want to see anyone have their character deleted. That was not in any way the intent of this post. I just wanted to know if there was a way for me to get in touch via e-mail, or another char, or whatever, with the owner of that character to see if they would mind freeing up the name, and if not that is ok too.

If a character has been deleted though and the name not reused it would be nice for someone to be able to use that name. Especially considering the number of people trying the game for the seven day trial and dumping it.

I agree and disagree. Agree that FC's policy of holding inactive characters in the database is great, but think there should be a minimum level requirement (probably 20ish). Disagree that people should be able to reserve more than a very few (5 MAX) names (unless they pay extra to do so). Reserving a slew of names that one "might" use one day is selfish. I don't care how many years you played EQ or whatever, either play the name or free it up for someone else.