I guess this is a bit of a lowbie problem. For the first 70-80 levels, you're always short of cash if you're not in a generous guild, have generous friends or play with your alt. So people will want to loot for the money. But when you get to your 80ies and have managed to get yourself a yalm, then money starts first trickling in, then pouring. I've experienced it myself over the last 2 months. My alt is a trader. Money were short for a long while, then I got the yalm and bam - more money. (At least a bit.) I also got to do fairly high ql missions, which adds a nice sum of money. And--- before this, I looted chests or wanted to loot chests to get money. Now I don't bother too much anymore. I'm more concerned about what will happen to the team if there's a rollerrat in it, than getting more nano rechargers for free. I'm always the calmer, so I could probably do something about the rat before it got too big a problem, but they tend to show up a the exact wrong moment. Even if you're not fighting, you can be sure that the moment someone releases a rat, you'll have a different mob aggro on you. Something about Murphey's Law, I guess. Chests aren't too interesting when you got a lot of money. When you don't have any money, they are very, very interesting, even if you might risk death over opening them.

In most teams, I insist on not looting chests. You can do that after the mission is over. Others go grid, you go out of the boss room and run around looting chests. You might get killed by a rat, but you're only putting yourself on risk, and you will get some good stuff, I guess. In my current economical situation, I'd rather be gridded back home. A month ago, I would have stayed and done chests. The "No Chests" rule is to ensure a relatively safe mission, for the sake of the team, not the sake of the individuals. I can always calm the little rodent if it gets into a fight, but the doc will also need to handle the extra wounded looter, and it just generates chaos.

Opening chests prefight is an option, but unless you have a very close team, you will not be absolutely sure that the tank haven't started a fight the moment you release the rat. It has happened a lot of times to me, someone thinks it safe to open a chest, while someone else is being aggroed at the same time. Very stressfull. Especially if the two of them are too far apart to know what's happened, and yourself are in the middle, not being able to save any of them.

Sounds like a long rant, I know. But I guess the bottom line when it comes to chests is that you need to agree on what to do before starting the mission. If No Chests is agreed upon, then loot no chests, even if you think you'll get away with it. (Or at least ask first, if there's a chest in the room where you decide to rebuff or something.) If Chests Allowed, then do whatever, just try not doing it in a fight. Do it after. Decide if loot should be posted or not.

Back to the original question: What is it with low level team mission in chests? People need money and xp. The chests provides both, against a risk. At higher levels, people have money and xp, and forget what the charms of the chests are. It's a cultural crash! The best solution is to set the rules before even picking a mission. If you don't agree with the rules, get yourself a different team, or try to persuade the others to do what you want to. Deciding what to do about chests when the first rollerrat appears, is too late. (Deciding what to do with those disobeying the rules is a whole different matter.)

Gattolina