Thread: Character wipes

ninjaman

Character wipes

Any possibility to go in and delete all level 1 characters that have not been used for a while? There are some level 1's that have names that i would like to use

Or how about actually wiping out characters after 3 months of cancellation (like it says on the account page)?

Re: Character wipes

Originally posted by ninjaman
    Any possibility to go in and delete all level 1 characters that have not been used for a while? There are some level 1's that have names that i would like to use

Or how about actually wiping out characters after 3 months of cancellation (like it says on the account page)?
    Yes to point #1.

A HUGE no! to point #2. I know several people over level 50 waiting to come back to AO when certain things happen... like an IP reset. Needless to say, they won't be back if their characters are deleted.

Question Actually...

I still have character names under my chat login that i dont have characters for anymore... i'd suggest freeing those up for others first.

I think this has never been seen yet...

Re: Character wipes

Originally posted by
    Not of they are still actively paid for accounts! If they are expired accounts then that is fine, after 3 months.

Fine with me.

Originally posted by Sent
    A HUGE no! to point #2. I know several people over level 50 waiting to come back to AO when certain things happen... like an IP reset. Needless to say, they won't be back if their characters are deleted.
    The IP Reset happened. So since this is an old resurrected thread; did they all come back?

Maybe instead of wiping characters, they could just park them somehow with no names and free up their names for others to use. After three months of cancellation, I think the name, at least, should be made available for others to pick.

Martek

well

it might be a nice idea to check on some names but do not automatically delete characters below i dont know level 10 or 20.

these are just name holders.

what i would like even more is that the nickname rules are lightened up, so you can use a " " blank space or longer names.

it IS hard to think of a catchy nick when you start playing on rk1 nowadays when you are not into numbers.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

I am 100% certain that there are a ton of people who I knew who have not been erased. They all quit the game in January... it's been a long time since then and their characters are all still in the database.

I would really love to see a database wipe where they finally clean out some of the names, but where do you draw the line, because some people were planning on coming back later on this year or at the expansion... sometimes it's good to leave some characters... I do however agree that all level 1-10 characters on all 3 month or older accounts could be cleaned without the risk of losing many if any customers.. and all accounts 6 months or older should be wiped
    Rookie Czarina - Opifex Pistol Crat ~220 with 19 Alien Titles~
    Czestiny - Solitus Rifle Crat ~26 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czealous - Atrox 2-handed Blunt Crat ~21 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czombie - Nanomage Assualt Rifle Crat ~15 with 2 Alien Titles~

Proud Opifex Crat of Tranquility
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I heard the beast is rerolling as an adv

Unhappy frankly

i think the main problem is the silly restriction the call sign imposes upon us.

lvl 10 and account inactive for 6+ months sounds like a reasonable line to draw but i would vote against automatically killing accounts.

it should be done like it was done by turbine as they ran out of space.

they posted that they were going to do it on every fanpage assorted with the game and there was ample time to renew your account in case you wanted to save your chars from extinction.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

Re: frankly

Originally posted by Blackwing
    i think the main problem is the silly restriction the call sign imposes upon us.

lvl 10 and account inactive for 6+ months sounds like a reasonable line to draw but i would vote against automatically killing accounts.

it should be done like it was done by turbine as they ran out of space.

they posted that they were going to do it on every fanpage assorted with the game and there was ample time to renew your account in case you wanted to save your chars from extinction.
    sounds good to me, because naming a character anymore is a pain!
    Rookie Czarina - Opifex Pistol Crat ~220 with 19 Alien Titles~
    Czestiny - Solitus Rifle Crat ~26 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czealous - Atrox 2-handed Blunt Crat ~21 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czombie - Nanomage Assualt Rifle Crat ~15 with 2 Alien Titles~

Proud Opifex Crat of Tranquility
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I heard the beast is rerolling as an adv

Lightbulb

Are you seriously asking for all level 1 characters to be deleted? Just because you want the name! That is soooooooo sad.

I came to this game late on and I have no problem getting names I want. I leave most of mine at level 4 ish. Always high enough to run about town.

You probably want to be called Neo or morpheus? Are are you one of the sado's who think that being caled Lonewolf makes you sound interesting?

An auto delete of level 1's would take out Noobs too!
    Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

Really what you want should be a method of finding out who reserved the name your looking for.

Send them a tell in game and request he/she sells it for in game credits.
    Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

most of the lvl1 characters that are tying up the names are doing so for copyright reasons. So they couldnt just wipe all of the lvl one characters or it would free up names that people are not allowed to use and they would get into legal difficulties.
    Its easier for them to leave them and make the players get more creative

Character Wipes?

For names? Nah. As has been said - if the name you want is taken, then take something else. Who is to say that the character in question is necessarily active?

The reason to do a lvl 1 wipe would be to free up database space or similar (if this is needed). And to do that, simply warning everyone that every single level 1-10 character that hasn't been touched for 3 months is going to get wiped. If you want to keep your lowbie, then just log in and play them for a few seconds.

But again - only for database reasons.

As for names in your chat, that looks a little bug-ish to me. I've had the same, but I've also had no problem re-using the names of deleted characters as well, and I've seen someone else running around with the same name that one of my deleted's had.
    Crazynotion - Atrox Bureaucrat, RK1

Formerly posted as Mechanita