Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - September 11th, 2009 - Video Q&A, Sceenies and Info-Nuggets

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    In all of the good RPGs I've played, combat was either interesting enough on it's own, or made up for by the story (or other elements).
    By your emphasis on good I take it you don't think AO is a good RPG, why per say are you here then?

In the RPGs that I've played the grind was everywhere. Just because it's disguised by Monster Mesh 541 instead of Monster Mesh 722 doesn't mean the core of the combat system has suddenly changed or that because Monster Mesh 541 talks for ten minutes more then 722 did about why it's evil and how it's futile for me to try to stop it doesn't mean it's not a grind.

Grind is doing something repetitively. Fighting, however broken up it may be by shiny features or involving storyline, is still fighting be it at the start of the game or end.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    By your emphasis on good I take it you don't think AO is a good RPG, why per say are you here then?

In the RPGs that I've played the grind was everywhere. Just because it's disguised by Monster Mesh 541 instead of Monster Mesh 722 doesn't mean the core of the combat system has suddenly changed or that because Monster Mesh 541 talks for ten minutes more then 722 did about why it's evil and how it's futile for me to try to stop it doesn't mean it's not a grind.

Grind is doing something repetitively. Fighting, however broken up it may be by shiny features or involving storyline, is still fighting be it at the start of the game or end.
    Why am I here? Was interested in the backstory, and I'm too stubborn to quit, at least until I see if FC's big plans will actually change things for the better. If not, well, I doubt I'll be missed.

The mindlessness of the grind is bad enough; that so much of it is required is just too much.

Keep DNW some people like to play in not to crowded places .

The population gets frustrated with the need to grind credits from day 1. Remove all the junk from rk missions, leave the nanocrystals and implants and update it with weapons and armor that CAN be used to level up. Leave the expensive-hard-to get items for 220's and twinks.
    It doesn't need to be the best items but something good enough to be able to pull your weight in a team.
    No, reading guides on how to make money and roll missions for 2 days to sell pillows or w/e isn't the idea of fun for a lot of people.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by lordran View Post
    About balancing. Can you add Full Auto to the "Spray With Lead" nano? TL5 fixers need more FA! plx
    FA support will be added to the toolset of fixers (buffs + perks etc) ABOVE title level 5 only. This should be in the next version sent to the TestLive dimension which should be this week...and on Live soon after that.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Means how tall are you? I'm 1.96
    I'm 178. I can't dunk.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by vadagget View Post
    How about some new engine footage...or still doesn't look as good as the Orge engine was before it got put to bed?

Soli head looks ok

Opi heads need to be taller and more narrow. And they have lost their "I'm over-caffeinated" look - they look too zen-like peaceful.

Also, is it possible to put the new models into the game even prior to the new engine? You've mentioned how they look (eg:blue glowing nm eyes) in the old engine so I would assume it is technically possible.

QUESTION:
    Can you guys do anything about getting all the neat 'in-game' advertising back in circulation on the billboards? Whether Massive has ads to put in rotation or not, it really helps to see those creative billboards that were once in heavy rotation.

QUESTION:
    Are you contemplating putting in-game some system for teaching newbies about one of AO's most complex, yet barely-explained features, that being implants? Perhaps combine that with the need for 'profession trainers' and set up trainers in each of the starting cities who teach people about their profession and have them do quests for a full set of low-QL implants? (ding TL2, get a mission and waypoint to your profession trainer)
    The engine guys are hard at work on the integration...but it isn't video ready yet.

It would be possible to put the new heads in-game now...but I would rather see them all in at the same time with the new bodies...Ideally at the same time as the new engine for performance reasons.

I have no idea about the in-game billboards...I'll have to look into that.

We have hopes of finding a better in-game way to deliver tutorials to the players about AO's complex systems...we are working on it now...but it will take some time. The job needs to be done and hasn't been forgotten...we just want to make sure we do it right the first time to avoid duplicate work later.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

In between means post!

Oh, and make famine read my PMs!
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

Any news about future of keepers?
    Andvord, 220 Adv (retired)
    Knekt, 220/30/70 Keep (retired)
    Haavarst, 220/23 Crat
    Delifix 217 Fix
    Delivio 215 Shade
    Dilek 174 Doc
    Delisol 165 Sol
    Clown 126 Trader TL4 twink project
    Hannibal 22 Enf

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Glarawyn View Post
    Thanks for the video ShadowGod.
    Yes. HUGE gratitude for ShadowGod getting that video done for all of us...would have been a shame for people not able to attend to miss out completely.

/salute ShadowGod!
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    read my pms!
    Ha, now we know what caused all your emo threads in LoA!
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Troxxor View Post
    nth! (...cba counting, w.e.)

Welcome back Means & Co! Hope you guys had a great time

Comments:

Please, had trouble hearing some of that especially the Qs & the funny bits

OK I'm going to fill out that petition survey, didn't realise they all got read

Sexy heads <3 Can't fault them
    OK questions:

1) Will those new heads blink? Yes, no, maybe later?

2) Are you gonna nail our toon's feet to the floor some day?.. If you don't know what I mean: Log into game, get your toon to stand & watch their feet drift around on the floor

If the game's going to look as awesome as we all hope (*excited at the thought*), I think these two little things might spoil the magic a bit.
    I don't think we are going to subtitle the video/transcribe it...there are a great many things we really need to get done soon and we really need to prioritize the balance changes over the "nice to havce" stuff for now.

The new heads should blink when they are done.

The floating-feet issue with the animations will unfortunately probably remain a feature of AO as it is a problem with every animation in the game. The floating feet thing is subtle...there are other issues we need to get done first that affect gameplay in a much more severe manner. Replacing all the animations would be a very very significant undertaking.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Troxxor View Post
    You did mean ask some right?... Well I have anyway!

P.S. Info-nuggets?....

wat

Have I been living under a rock, or is this new news?
    This is new news...we have wanted to add this experience for awhile. More details will come as they become available. This will NOT add to the "item grind".
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Graftmage View Post
    Ha, now we know what caused all your emo threads in LoA!
    No, that was bc omni sux.
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Menzagitat View Post
    The videos remind me of...
    The three pirates from Monkey Island

and they are one step in front of the game made by Funcom
    http://www.alkis.org/eadv50.html
    Monkey Island is one of my favourite games of all time. I missed a lot of University playing that one. Time well spent!
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

The good old games.....

That was a great time! I really miss this time.....

If we take a look at the games today....... more realistic, more blood and all the things....

My favourite game is the Baldurs Gate Saga ..... I really love RP!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Raynefists View Post
    Questions:

I like the new lock out based trashless instances, but it completely defeats the purpose of bringing 10 of the 14 classes. More dps won't get you loot any faster(because you can only kill so often), but bringing more people reduces your chances at the loot that does drop. This gives an incentive to bring fewer people. What are you guys going to do about this in the new raid instance?

In the Q&A you talked about fixing things that have been broken for a long time, that should have been fixed years ago. Is there any chance of having completely worthless skills(parry, ripsote, adventuring, etc) looked at as part of this initiative?

Is there any chance we could get a scriptable UI? I'm not talking about automation, i mean being able to script our own ui components that respond to things that happen in the game and to player interaction. If you look at the suggestion forum at any given moment, there is generally at least 1 UI related suggestion in the top 10 suggestions. If players had greater control over their UI, they could simply program these changes themselves and distribute them to the public. The best additions could even be patched into the standard client. This feature could also be used to help new players, as players could write guide widgets that would help noobs move along in the game even long after they've left the island.
    The new instance will likely be made easier by the presence of different professions than the previous ones (ie: Elder hall is much easier with a Keeper or Fixer). I hope to eventually make instances that favour each profession over time.

Parry, Riposte and Adventuring skills are at the moment merely requirement skills for the use of some equipment. They would generally not help in the ranged vs. melee balance area so we won't be looking into them just now. This doesn't mean forever...but at least for now.

There are no immediate plans for a new GUI system. Again..not for forever...but at least for until the release of the new engine, mail system etc.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I have no idea about the in-game billboards...I'll have to look into that.

We have hopes of finding a better in-game way to deliver tutorials to the players about AO's complex systems...we are working on it now...but it will take some time. The job needs to be done and hasn't been forgotten...we just want to make sure we do it right the first time to avoid duplicate work later.
    Means, about the in game Tutorials, you guys should get a copy of Aion once it goes live they did it perfectly. What happens is you are guided to events from the start and little ? marks appear that play a video for you to see the GUI animation of it. While that's more advanced then the current engine could handle I bet the new engine could handle blink videos to play. Would be like a mini-billboard on the client that cant be moved.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by ninst View Post
    WB means!

Questions:

1. Could you give us more details about heal changes? Will these changes affect PVM?

2. Is "secondary attack action" based on AS skill (mentioned here: http://forums.anarchyonline.com/show...&postcount=124) going to have a defence check? Is this attack going to be available for everyone with AS weapon?

3. BS only virus scanners/free movements - how about removing the "BS only" tag? It's silly to have different rules (ability to remove debuffs) in BS/outside of BS.

4. With instanced pande we lost DD wars in AO Are there any plans to bring them back in a new encounter?

5. Is GTH going to be reviewed during prof. balancing?

6. 110% blind resist items - how about toning it down to 20+30% ?
    1. Yes heal changes will affect PVM. It is likely healers will have to work harder at high levels to not run out of Nano.

2. It will likely have a defense check. The secondary AS attack will not be available to everyone.

3. The effect of ALL debuffs on players are going to be changed. It is likely that methods of removing those debuffs will also change.

4. DD wars really disappeared with the addition of the raid interface. I have no plans to reintroduce a mechanic that allowed 6 players to take loot from 30.

5. Yes. All debuffs including GTH will change.

6. Blinds will change.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    OK, usually I keep my nose out of these threads, but I have to ask. Means, are you wearing two watches? And if so...why?
    One watch...one "Police men's leather bracelet anniversary gift from wife".
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast