Thread: This is the only place i know of to ask for help

This is the only place i know of to ask for help

I have a compaq 500t. It has a tnt 2 card in it right now. I just bought a geforce 4 card. I dont know how to install it. I sure would appreciate someone willing to help me install it. Im thinking the game will run hugely better. Please Help.

good one crispy... but ill break it down...

1.) turn off the computer.
    2.) unplug the computer completely.
    3.) open up the computers case
    4.) remove the screw holding the tnt card in place.
    5.) carefully remove the tnt card.
    6.) place the new card in the system.
    7.) when windows loads up it will ask for the drivers. cancel this.
    8.) put your driver cd in the cd-rom and autorun it.

9.) realize that anarchy still don't run right.. go buy a ati card adjust the gamma on it and realy enjoy the game.
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

i dont flame posters, i flame idiots that post that they are quiting to try and show game is going to die.

Well, try to be less abrasive, and you do flame posts, and not all of them were about quitting.

that's because i'm quitting because this game is going to die.

and ATI sucks.

Re: This is the only place i know of to ask for help

Originally posted by Demendar
    I have a compaq 500t. It has a tnt 2 card in it right now. I just bought a geforce 4 card. I dont know how to install it. I sure would appreciate someone willing to help me install it. Im thinking the game will run hugely better. Please Help.
    wha wha wha wha

Dont let the case hit your arse when you put it back on

Only trained professionals can install cards and they only work past your bedtime

The moral of the story, never rub another mans rhubarb, if you want to play in his field sometime
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

i dont know why i would help you, but here goes.

Installing a Vid card is easy.

go to

www.nvidia.com

get the detonator referance drivers ( the manufacturer drivers usuallyl suck bad )

Turn off machine. tityally power down. Then unplug machine from wall to let the capacitors discharge.

Get a philips head screw driver ( 99% of the time its phiullips that is )

The card will be ( on a tower config ) usually the top card. Im sure you can line it up visually from where the monitor plugs into it ) monitor plugs in to the machine.

Once the machine is powerd down, unplug the monitor from the computer.

Unscrew the 1 phillips screw trhgat holds the vid card in place ( as i said, usually the top slot, if you are unsure, refer to your motherboard manual to identify the AGP slot )

Pull old card out,

push new card in.

screw card down.

Turn computer on. It should detect new hardwar and ask for drivers.

ignore it., cancel all the thinghs it asks for.. let it get to crappy windows 640X480X16 garbage.

go locate hte file that you grabbed from

www.nvidia.com

run that and it will auto install the drivers. for you.

it will ask you to reboot. do so and you should be good to go. you might have to go into your properties to adjust the resolution/color.

What kind of machine are you putting this in? IF your using a tnt2 at the moment, i would assume your putting this card into an out dated machine. While it will help somewhat, I dont know that it will make much of a differance. Your bus speed is kinda slow, and your bottleneck i wouldnt think is your vid card, but the cpu/bus/ram. Your system isnt going to feed a gforce 4 data fast enough to utilize that card to its fullest extent. You need a puter upgrade prolly. Though that is only assumption based on the vid card you were using.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

/me wonders if the guy even has an AGP slot.

Some branded PC's have weird mobos with loads of on-board crap and only 2 or 3 PCI slots.

/me has images of spinky G4 getting trashed as the guy tries to force it into a PCI slot
    NT's are Gods. No really we are. What are you lot laughing at???

Level 220 Clan NT. Proud member of JVC

My equipment

Originally posted by Kopo
    /me wonders if the guy even has an AGP slot.

Some branded PC's have weird mobos with loads of on-board crap and only 2 or 3 PCI slots.

/me has images of spinky G4 getting trashed as the guy tries to force it into a PCI slot

Did they make PCI tnt2's? I cant remembre anymore. I dont think they did though.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

yes, I still have a TNT2 pci around somewhere