Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the Most Noobish Thing You've Done as an Experienced Player?

What's the Most Noobish Thing You've Done as an Experienced Player?

I'm prepared to have everyone laugh at my expense, but I've had a Trader since I first joined AO in November of 2002. I had uploaded a few of the root nanos in my career, but never really used them, figuring instead that I should stand still and take my punches like a man.

Well, today I felt like a total NOOB. I just bought Entreprenurial Thrall (the top Trader Root Nano) at Level 185 and finally learned that you could root a melee mob and go run out of its hit range to kill the mob!

I'd heard people refer to "root and shoot" over the years, but I thought this was something only done in PvP!

Now, share your noob-tastic experiences as long time players so that I don't feel like such an idiot!
    Last edited by Amosco; Jan 22nd, 2009 at 06:17:16.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

That has to be the most crazy noob thing I ever heard O.o

I can't really think of anything right now. That right there stunned me but I've at least had a couple years to make mistakes in ;P
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

On several occasions, after having spent extended periods in SL, I'll stroll up to a reclaim/insurance terminal and wonder why it's not letting me pull a mish.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

The classic no lock pick, or lock pick in bank while doing rk/sl missions.
    Proud member of the Wolf Brigade, a supporter of the NDI.

{Edited by Corwynn - Profanity, even badly spelt, is against the forum guidelines}
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    "Hush little baby, don't say a word"
    "Mommy's gonna get you an Ofab Bird."
    "If that Ofab Bird won't swing"
    "Mommy's gonna buy you an Ofab Ring."

Whenever I roll a Keeper or Shade to play with (they're the only professions I don't start on Newbie Island, for obvious reasons) I consistently, without fail, do two things.

1) Fall off the platform, when I mean to run across the bridge.
    2) Make a guildmate run all the way to my new alt, and then realise I've forgotten to change side.

Yes. I'm a total idiot. Please don't quote that last sentence out of context
    Guardian Venachar
    Public Forums Moderator - Deputy Team Lead | Professionals Liaison
    Forums Team | Community Relations Department | Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Right-click!

Right-click is so not my friend. On more than one occasion I have right clicked a t-shirt or a social weapon and poof goes ALL the hard work I put in to getting my weapon or armor on.

The right-click of doom is also often seen in the form of leveling something like Tier armor only to right click it one too many times and not be able to equip it despite the huge amounts of twinking that's already been done.
    Weddings Coordinator Layyne
    Community Relations
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka (ARK)

Done many stupid things during my AO carreer some of them:

thinking that a metaphysicist does not need hp, so i had almost 1000 hp at lvl 90ish

asking for rrfe in SL and going emo for not getting

many right-click problems

numerous self-nuking with my nt during duels

and here's one what my friend did (he does not visit forums):

he deleted his ql 300 ofab MA sleeves 5 times. No joke. His mouse was borked I dunno but he managed to delete it 5 times. He is taking care of the 6th now.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Most stupid thing i ever did as 220 was to ask a fixer for some agent buffs. Twice. I don't know what was going on in my brain, probably something wired wrong.
    I once told a friend how i sort my stuff in the bank with different backpacks, and then first i got no response and after a while (seriously): "You can put backpacks in your bank?!?" He was almost lvl 200 i think and didn't realize that you can put backpacks in your bank. Noone told the poor guy
    °

--(Tradeskiller love! - Thanks FC!)--
    Phracton - Engi | Pyror - MP | Ariovist - Crat
    Boardmember and Waste Disposal Unit of Dragon Security Agency

°
    - First Engineer that killed Ice Golem with a full team ... in Inferno!
    - Proud member of the first omni/neut 220 MP allstar team in iPande, with all four breeds!

Tab

m

wipe
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

I used NSD on mobs.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

I was playing with my, then, newly rolled soldier.... I believe he was around level 30ish at the time. Had a few too many beers while pottering about in SL. Got back to RK to upgrade nanos and imps as you do.
    It was then that I realized I had misplaced my backpack with nanos, so I started the futile search for it, checked the bank, check bank alts, checked inventory numerous times but just couldn't find it.
    Eventually petitioned, it's not a big deal I know but I was just not in the mood to go through the list of what I had uploaded and what not.

GM came and then the fight started.
    He did all his magick tricks and said that I definitely had the bag with me. I assured him that I have been searching for a heck of a long time and I am 100% sure I didn't have it with me.
    The whole process lasted about 4 hours from when the GM showed up. At some point he asked me to log the char out so that he could have a look, it was at this point that I decided to log MP on another account just to stare at the GM(As you don't see them all that often).

While sitting there watching him log in my soldier my jaw dropped... I nearly wet myself laughing and made it very visible in vicinity that I had found the bag, it turned out that in some semi-drunken stupor I had equipped the bag on the soldiers back to look like a Robust Fake Pack.

Kinda felt sorry for the GM through all the laughing, I had just wasted someone else's petition time by my drunken stupidness hehehehe.

Lesson to be learned from this exercise ?
    Always check the back slot first !!!

I still have long minutes of giggling thinking about this ordeal hehehehe.
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.

happened last week:

Went to do HC Sides raid and followed KGB doing Mids thinking I was in the raid, but wondering why the hell none of my team was around me, and why HC was still open for joining. I blame the booze personally and the hour of the evening (well thats my exscuse)
    Scene :: Meta-Physicist :: 220/30/70
    Scenetoo :: Trader :: 204/28/52
    Scentinal :: Enforcer :: 165/22/33
    Scenato :: Keeper :: 136/16/25

AO Universe - by players, for players :: former general of Omni-Pol

On my first toon, my ma i stayed for almost 2 years without knowing what the minimap is good for and why every1 thought it was so important. Didn't know or in case i heard prolly didn't care about what map upgrades are.

I think my ma was around 210-212 when i was with an org mate and i couldn't find him, he told me to look on map and i was like, and see what? at which point he went quiet for a few minutes, prolly fell of his chair in amasement or laughter, then took me by the hand to the shop, got me maps and map upgrades and made me map nav implants and made me upload them. i remember being so shocked lol.

Now i can't live without the minimap, and i feel blind without it, but i still remember how noob i felt.
    Kirrana - 220/30 Doc
    Mikasha - 220/30 Fixer
    Minired - 220/30 Crat
    Hayliss - 220/30 MA
    Kerrida - 220 Shade
    Minicookie - 214 Trader
    Minidel - 213 Engi
    Nissika - 212 NT
    Aventine - 211 MP

I once spent 4 hours in Albtraum with an experienced team as a DD in full agg. I pretty much spent the entire time running from Inferno Garden to Albtraum. I got a bracer from a PB fight I only took part in for the first 15 seconds. It wasnt until the team broke up that I realised the problem.

-

Twice now I've 'broken' two Inamorata weapons, QL300 ones, one of them going well into 9 digits in price, on dead end tradeskills. You put a glyph on it and the turn spirit wont connect. Makes it useless. You'd think I'd have learnt the first time.

The lesson here kids, buy a garbage one from GMS for a mill or less, combine it with the glyph you think you need, and then put the (most likely expensive) turn spirit and the weapon in a tradeskill window. If the appropriate result appears, cancel it and do it for real with the much rarer weapon.

-

And here's one from someone else that makes me chortle merrily every time I have an excuse to bring it up, though it's about someone else. Sector 42. A man with 150ish Miniboss points. He'd just gotten his Invasion Plans earlier this week and thus wanted to expend all his points and never return. We're all on vent, having a bit of a laugh, and he mentions his frustration at Supple Bots - and Bots he knows he can win no less - never dropping. So in a fit of rage, just prior to 17.10 he places all those MB points on a Hadrulf's belt. Wins it, naturally. In order to deplete his points and be done with the sector.

The raidleader looted four QL300 supple bots just 15 minutes later.

I'd say ..... having to politely (and with great embarrassment) turn down requests for team fgrid, despite being a level 176 Fixer, seeing as I was always too much of a lazy git to complete the second part of the quest. A refusal & explanation that is greeted with much surprise and derision, by the requesters

Hey, I'm a cranky f***er ........ I don't team much
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! Gameplay/Quests/Locations Guides, News, Articles, Columns, AO Launcher Skins, Wallpapers, Maps, Utilities, Friendly Forums and the #1 Roleplaying Source for the community!

Their superior technology is no match for our puny weapons!!!!

1. Get RRFE or GSF
    2. Run to/from Borealis in the "fast way". Through Jobe platform.

Many many times
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

/v Good afternoon. My name is Sotto Mahoney and I am a Junior Executive with the Omni-Tek Transportation and Shipping Department. It's a pleasure to meet you.

I dunno why, but I keep doing it
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Parrot > Grid
    Biggest lie of the century

Quote Originally Posted by Mavritanic View Post
    Make clan PvP zerg-bot is destroy pvp-action in AO.

Tnx!

Meeping dozens of times while standing 5 feet away from a grid terminal.

just realized today that for the past year and a half i've been using the lowest pet init debuff on my mp because i added the wrong one to my hotbar and never bothered to check what i was actually casting until now
    Azshara - 220/23/70 Meta-Physicist
    Gen of Quetzalcoatl

Other projects in progress:
    Azsyka, Azshyra, Azshes

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast