Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Concealment/Perception Check

Broken Concealment/Perception Check

So I decided to play my agent. He's 170 (1417 conceal).

I wanted to get the new 6 minute root from the RK quest.

I get to the camp with the hackers, crackers, and black hats. I do what any agent does to start off a pvm attack... I sneak.

These being level 89, I don't even have to think whether or not I should be able to hide from them.....but.....nada.

They all can see me. Crackers, hackers, and black hats.

"Fixing" that perception/concealment check just killed a major part of my agent's attack.

My guess is that when FC fixed the perception vs concealment check (assuming they actually did fix it), they forgot about the actual numbers.

What I mean by that is before the patch, they were saying "concealment skill of X can hide from perception skill of Y". Well, those numbers were based on a bugged system. They need to be changed. to accommodate the bug-free (lol) system.

Edited to add: On further testing, it seems that if they are level 80 I can sneak from them. 98% of them are higher than 80 though. Even still, I'm an agent. At 170, I should be able to hide from a level 89 mob very very easily.

Coordinates: Pos: 1077.8, 1876.9, 37.5, Area: Western Forested Grasslands. Time: 2008-06-21 03:26:41 (UTC) In Varmint Woods.
    Last edited by Perfekt; Jun 21st, 2008 at 04:27:34.

Those mobs already were quite perceptive, pre-patch I couldn't AS them on 220 agent even.
    The change is only a bonus for agents, I assure you

It's a bug with vicinity/not vicinity however, or maybe it's supposed to work like that.

1st thought - raise/buff conceal
    2nd thought - these mobs are fixers mostly. And fixers supposed to have good perception.
    Kuznechik, Board member of Disciples of Omni-Tek (and few dozens of alts)
    DoOT is recruiting
    -------
    Well, as a well-known fact - I know nothing (especially about engineers).

Quote Originally Posted by kuznechik View Post
    1st thought - raise/buff conceal
    2nd thought - these mobs are fixers mostly. And fixers supposed to have good perception.
    @ 1st thought - I shouldn't need to worry about "twinking" conceal when the mob is almost 100 levels lower than me.

@ 2nd thought - I took that into consideration, however, fixers don't wear cyberdecks and nuke you like crackers (?). And again, the mobs are level 83-89 and I am 170. There is too much of a level difference even for fixer mobs with perception buffs.

---

@ monique - My testing contradicts your assurance. And while I'm not calling you a liar when you say a 220 couldn't AS em pre 17.9, I find it totally hard to believe, considering that I CAN AS a lvl 80-82 of that type mob and yet I CANNOT attack that type if it's level is 83-89. Thanks for replying nonetheless. Something is fishy with these mobs if nothing else.

If I can hide from Dreadlochs, Dustbrigade, Escaped Prisoners in PvM and 220 Advs/Fixers in PvP I should damn well be able to hide from some grey twit of a mob that can't even compare to me in any other conceivable way.

Doesn't matter what patch they were released in if I can hide from nearly everything else in the game I should be able to hide from them. Giving a monster 50 000 perception is not making it challenging, it's nerfing someones toolset. Like LE mission aliens being immune to nearly every debuff; sure it makes em tough but there's other ways to make em tough besides making someones toolset utterly useless.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    there's other ways to make em tough besides making someones toolset utterly useless.
    Right, cause all you can do on ur agent is AS?

Dodo0 220/30 Clan NM Fixer - the first in AO!
    Dododo1 220/30 Retired
    Fixzorr 75/8 Retired PvP vid

EX-President of SPARTANS
    Guide to raiding Pande

- currently inactive -

Quote Originally Posted by dododo2 View Post
    Right, cause all you can do on ur agent is AS?

You do understand that you just showed everyone that you don't have a correct perspective on the matter, right?

Some mobs have high NR, rendering NTs useless.
    Some mobs have infinite blockers, leaving soldiers nerfed.
    Some have high perception... Tough cookie for agents.
    Kuznechik, Board member of Disciples of Omni-Tek (and few dozens of alts)
    DoOT is recruiting
    -------
    Well, as a well-known fact - I know nothing (especially about engineers).

Quote Originally Posted by kuznechik View Post
    Some mobs have high NR, rendering NTs useless.
    Some mobs have infinite blockers, leaving soldiers nerfed.
    Some have high perception... Tough cookie for agents.
    Name a mob that has so high NR that an NT that is 100 (or 150 even) levels higher can't land nukes (aside from boss mobs/dynas).

Never seen a mob with infinite blockers before. Pande perhaps? Regardless, that doesn't effect just soldiers, that effects all persons with special attacks.

I agree that some mobs would have extreme perception so that an agent couldn't sneak even. Those mobs however should ONLY be restricted to boss mobs and dynas.

The mobs I've mentioned are regular mobs, nothing special to them except for the fact that you have to kill them in a quest. For that matter, you don't have to have the quest to kill them.

-----------

Now, back on topic. This thread is created to alert FC to a problem with the perception/concealment checks with those particular mobs and possibly others. This is not a whine thread.

Please leave the agent-hate out of the thread. Agents didn't make the game. FC did. Don't like agents? Hate FC. (But not in this thread!)

If you wish to report similar perception/concealment check issues, please feel free to do so in this thread. Otherwise, if you have nothing nice to say, keep the **** to yourself. Thanks.

Unhappy Fix would be nice but not likely

I don't think this has anything to do with any recent attempt of fixes. My agent with 2300+ conceal has been detected by mobs 200 lvls lower and where of no special class/race with high prec.. This feature has been broke/buggy since launch. My mp with about 200 less conceal than your agent was able to AS the mobs in question so lvl may have something to do with it even though I completly agree that being 100 lvls higher should be a no brainer. The chance of this getting fixed anytime soon is less likely than pet classes actually knowing where their pets are right now )

Quote Originally Posted by Perfekt View Post
    You do understand that you just showed everyone that you don't have a correct perspective on the matter, right?
    This sentence is kewl, I take it for my sig.
    Vamzer 220/24 Martial Artist
    Doomed Lover 215/20 Keeper
    Novas 165/9 Nano Technician

Anyone that doesn't agree with me has the wrong perspective on the matter
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vamzer View Post
    This sentence is kewl, I take it for my sig.
    Glad I could be of assistance.

I'm pretty sure the Perception v. Conceal check now isn't 100% either... so it's not "broken."

If you have 2k Conceal and someone has 1k Perception, you should probably be able to vanish 9 times out of 10 (or more), but there is room for randomness where you aren't able to. At least I believe that's how things worked and have always worked
    Ruffixx, 220/30/66 Omni Opifex Fixer
    Pugilius, 206/30/49 Omni Opifex MA
    Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
    Medor, 199/23/42 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Vindicius, 189/20/46 Omni Atrox Enforcer
    Evilrilius, 100/10 Omni Nano MP - Foremans Killing Machine

Proud General of Obsidian Order

Dont know how fc thinks this should work, but in my book, you should not be able to walk in to my face and press hide for me to go "oh where did you go". thats how perception seemed to work before. If you are not able to hide from a mob you are starring right in the face, its working as intended I would say.
    "Death is as big a part of life, as life it self".
    First wizard, Sword of Truth.

Macdk TL7 Equip
    Baraccus TL7
    Equip
    Raugmoss TL7
    Equip
    Maczilla TL5
    Equip
    Maczol TL4
    Equip

I had a little look at the Crackers, hackers, and black hats on test and they have a perception that is about 65% higer then your Concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eponyx View Post
    I had a little look at the Crackers, hackers, and black hats on test and they have a perception that is about 65% higer then your Concealment.
    Eponyx to the rescue! (Sorta)

Beeing a mature adult im just going to stick to "ha ha Agents got pwnt"

On a side note Soldiers have/had to put up with the cyborg dude with 100% Energy, radiation and fire reflect when our main source of fire power was... well you guess..
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Eponyx View Post
    Ah so we are dealing with a stupid developer(s) then. Guess I should have expected that from FC...been here long enough to know better. Regular mobs at level 89 running around with 2300 perception. Genius.

Thanks for the clarification though.

I think the idea is that when you are killing the mobs and they are around your level or hard to you, you have no chance at all of hiding from them to make the encounter a little harder. The side effect is that when you are alot higher and can quite easily kill them even without aimed shot you still can't conceal from them.

Ah so we are dealing with a stupid developer(s) then. Guess I should have expected that from FC...been here long enough to know better. Regular mobs at level 89 running around with 2300 perception. Genius.

Thanks for the clarification though.
    wtf, how long does it take you to kill level 80ish mobs without AS? Quit bitching, this barely matters!
    <Lazy> who knew ao f*rum denizens were such homophobes?

Lordstage Free to do anything
    Byracka iddqd
    Battlespork Eats what he kills
    Bloodforbaal Utter bastard
    Pinealgland Too weird to live, and too rare to die
    Dagenham Radioactive courier
    Fascinated Elderly nature enthusiast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast