Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Massive Multiplayer Online Fad.

you would think that but also when some of the people get sick of the crap from the game they went to they go back to there original.
    Level 132 Nano-Techniction <---- Retired till NT fix
    Level 72. Engineer <---- why is my pet running the wrong way?
    Level 69. Agent <---- Retired sence Concealment Nerf.
    Level 58. Adventure <---- TONS of lost ip.
    Level 41. Meta.<--- Mp's are too uber.
    Level 30. Enforcer <---- press "Q" and watch tv.
    Level 29. Doc <---- Can't..... Find.... Group.....

Quote of the week "When people complain equally about all of the classes, then the game is balanced."

Originally posted by Lozer
    Look who got hacked!*
    Lozer, that is just evil. lol, scared the crap outta me....guess I should always read the *'s first.

Podun

Lozer, while your calculations seems statistically right, they are terribly wrong.

Why? Simple:
    Out of 1,000,000 MMORPG gamers in the year 2004. We get:

400,000 - Best game, this game won 2003 and 2004 E3 awards.
    320,000 - 2nd best game - this game was simply long enough on the market.
    100,000 - 3rd best game - While this game is very complex it offers many great new ideas.
    80,000 - 4th best game. Devoted dev team and great support (yeah right).
    100,000 - All other games.

Those are not statistics. We know what we like and we don't play 3rd world games. No one would play AO if it was the poorest scorer on website's reviews. No one would play AC or EQ if it wasn't for their dev teams and support. People don't play all 27 MMORPGs that went out in a specific year, they only play the top 5 or so.
    Last edited by Superflu; Jun 11th, 2002 at 16:57:50.
    Greendevil Solitus Soldier
    Grummpy Atrox Enforcer

i was making rough gestiments.... but what if even 5 out of all those games turn out to be good.... i still say there is a very limited market.
    Level 132 Nano-Techniction <---- Retired till NT fix
    Level 72. Engineer <---- why is my pet running the wrong way?
    Level 69. Agent <---- Retired sence Concealment Nerf.
    Level 58. Adventure <---- TONS of lost ip.
    Level 41. Meta.<--- Mp's are too uber.
    Level 30. Enforcer <---- press "Q" and watch tv.
    Level 29. Doc <---- Can't..... Find.... Group.....

Quote of the week "When people complain equally about all of the classes, then the game is balanced."

Originally posted by Isembard
    People deserting AO to play the online SiMs? - come on, it's a totally different market!
    I know it overlaps in this household atleast.

AO style games starved of development capital since companies would rather invest in games for 'casual' gamers? - I doesn't work like that. If you have a product, a potential market and a workable business plan you WILL get investors - it is not a finite 'bucket' on that sort of scale.
    Well, you need luck as well. Even companies consisting solely off guys with several shipped titles each still can end up doing a LONG hunt for an investor.

Funcom is a beast of the past, I doubt that a bunch of kids without education and no job experience will get $20 million to play with again in the foreseeable future. The dot-com death is still too fresh a memory.

There is still money to be had, just not as easily as a couple of years ago.

Its all about competition. And within that is such things like Game Content, Consumer Age, and Longevity...

Its who can appeal to the most people for the longest amount of time, and while I think AO is doing a good job at that(although in VERY shady ways) right now, it cant and wont last forever...

The release of SWG will put maybe a dent into the population of AO because people from AO will jump to SWG but they will still keep their AO accounts and such(for the most part anyway). And when Worlds of Warcraft comes out, its going to be a massive blow to the MMORPG community. Blizzard has been in the PC game business for a very long time and have always produced top sellers with longevity. And I feel that others will agree if they have played any of Blizzards games(especially on Battle.net) that they will be faithful and go back to Blizzard for WC3(not a MMORPG) and WoW.

Thats how Funcom is trying to milk it with this Shadowlands expansion pack, they know they have soo many people totally hook on AO; just look at all the fools wanting plush leet dolls.. So Funcom figures why not try and secure our place in the MMORPG community for a little longer? And they will. No matter how many bad patches they make(have their been any good ones?) or how many bugs they cause, or how many people's accounts they screw over they will still have customers.

Thats how "marketing" works and although some companies are shady about it *cough* FC *cough* it will always be like this..

P.S. I never once got screwed over by Blizzard, or got tired of their games as quick as I have with AO.

Re: Ah

Originally posted by Mr.Nothing
    Also with each new game the market increases. [/B]
    Theoretically true, but as we are talking Massively here, wrong. Sure I can go and write a game and few of my friends may even play it. As I can make a song and few unfortunates will have to hear it

I like to compare it to motion picture industry. With good marketing you can sell total bs for ingots of gold. And a very good movie can go unnoticed even with some prestigious awards in it's pocket.

Today's online players are still very specific breed. Who owned a tube at the beginning? But this whole thing *will* go into every home, and by that I mean homes in countries you probably haven't even heard of yet (speaking from one of them ). When this thing becomes really common (I doubt it will still be entitled to bear name computers), when people won't watch latino soap operas but participate in them (omg, I hope I'll be dead by then), it will just be as for any other product out there on the market. Is consumers base for toothpaste growing?

There will be winner and there will be loosers. I'd like to believe we, consumers, will be the ones who benefit from this eternal struggle, but I somehow don't really see how people of Rubi-Ka fall into this scheme. Omni-Tek unfortunately isn't just something an imaginative mind came up with. It is foreseeable future. Bigger is stronger, more resistant. Clumsier, yes. But I don't think dinosaurs would meet their fate just following natural selection.

Will business environment change in such a drastical way? Who knows. A meteorite 6 miles accross is a powerfull thing . But left to itself, we'll just end up being owned by Bill Gates XLVII. And most of the people won't even mind.
    postcount++

Well, even if the market gets saturated with MMOGs, there will always be people who have multiple accounts, gotta play every game and so forth. :-) So it's hard to just gauge just how well a game will do considering it's all happening over the Internet. It's not like just one person per game exclusively.

May the best MMOG win, but hopefully it's the MMOG I'm interested in playing as well, right?

I'm hoping World of Warcraft makes it as that really looks like the game I want to play. Star Wars Galaxies looks somewhat interesting. Shadowbane just looks drab and boring (much like AC, DAoC and EQ were).

Getting back to the original topic - the following link may be relevant and of interest:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci...00/2031091.stm
    By caffine alone I set my mind in motion. Through the juice of java the thoughts aquire speed, the hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. By caffine alone I set my mind in motion.

Originally posted by DarkGatherer
    P.S. I never once got screwed over by Blizzard
    [/B]
    Have you played D2 after release ?

you forgot the oldest. www.codemasters.com www.realmserver.com

the realm 6-7 years now. still going. not as many people but still going.
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12