Thread: Line of Sight: Proposed changes

Line of Sight: Proposed changes

1) Relocate each player's "singularity" (the point from where all LoS calculations are made) to the camera, instead of the soles of their boots.

2) If you can see it and you're in range, you can shoot it.

3) If (2) applies and the target has the range, it can shoot back.

Any practical/theoretical reasons why this can't be done? Just seems it would get rid of some of the more, um, bizaare situations in the game...

F8

F8, then move the camera view around, through a door, and you'd have some more amazing through-the-wall graphics again.

Lightbulb

Good point....replace "camera" with "avatar's head"...

Make so area nanos like root and nuke also must have LOS
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

I think the problem here is that FC use a 2d, top looking down style system to answer LOS queries, and not a full 3d ray trace.

FC's current system can't be purely top down - it takes account of even small alterations in the floor's height (one of the most glaring faults in the system, by the way - Steps of Madness is an excellent place to see this in action). All that has to be done is move each model's singularity to a more reasonable location, presumably by adding a "height" variable to each basic model and then scaling as needed.

Azzassimon: I assume you mean that the caster must have LoS to each potential target, not merely the entity the nano is originally aimed at?

If so, I suspect the mechanic of an AE nano is akin to a grenade or an artillery shell - the original nano/grenade/shell is directed at a single target point, where it detonates and send the effects out over the area of effect.

Of course, this would imply that a viable target would have tohave LoS to the point where the AE nano was originally aimed...

Azzassimon: I assume you mean that the caster must have LoS to each potential target, not merely the entity the nano is originally aimed at?
    Yes, only targets that the caster have LOS to should get nuked/root, as it is now I can stand around a corner and still get nuked/rooted...
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

How about taking advantage of terrain too? Use trees, hills, bushes as cover? Too much to ask? Thought so..

a grenade does not care if the person that threw it could see me or not, in fact when clearing a foxhole or bunker with grenades that is an assumption.

the person initiating an AOE attack should have LOS with at least one target though.

Hm, so thats why if I sit on a shelf a mob can't see me.. their boot soles can't see me?

If changed to your suggestion, adventurers could run under a table and fight mobs without being seen (I can see them, they cannot see me).

Bleys

Originally posted by LostBoyJim
    Hm, so thats why if I sit on a shelf a mob can't see me.. their boot soles can't see me?

If changed to your suggestion, adventurers could run under a table and fight mobs without being seen (I can see them, they cannot see me).

Bleys
    i can't see stuff under my bed unless i get my eyes to where they have a line of sight with what is under the bed.