Thread: What is all this fuss about weapon OE

What is all this fuss about weapon OE

Am I missing something?

The wording of the weapon OE penalty is a bit ambigous.

"All weapons more than 20% over-equipped will have DamageBonus, DamageMin and DamageMax reduced with 25%"

As far as I can tell this either means

1/ the weapon gets reduced by 25% of its current damage ie. goes to 75% of its current damage
    or
    2/ gets reduced by 25% of the amount over-equiped which would result in the weapon varying between an absolute minimum of 75% of its current damage to 100% of its current damage but more than likely 90% or more of its current damage.

Armour likewise

"All armour more than 20% over-equipped, will be reduced in protective ability by 25%."

This is hardly a major

Re: What is all this fuss about weapon OE

Originally posted by diatribe
    Am I missing something?

The wording of the weapon OE penalty is a bit ambigous.

"All weapons more than 20% over-equipped will have DamageBonus, DamageMin and DamageMax reduced with 25%"

As far as I can tell this either means

1/ the weapon gets reduced by 25% of its current damage ie. goes to 75% of its current damage
    or
    2/ gets reduced by 25% of the amount over-equiped which would result in the weapon varying between an absolute minimum of 75% of its current damage to 100% of its current damage but more than likely 90% or more of its current damage.

Armour likewise

"All armour more than 20% over-equipped, will be reduced in protective ability by 25%."

This is hardly a major
    (In)famous last words???
    Ananke - Carrah - Loretta

ZWhen the going got tough, the tough ran away

Re: Re: What is all this fuss about weapon OE

Originally posted by Carrah

(In)famous last words???
    Carrah, if he hasn't noticed OE yet he's not likely to miss it. Safe bet, he's always played within the 20% margin.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Hmm, yes I accidentally hit return before finishing and couldn't be bothered to edit/finish.

I mainly play a doc and am pretty safely within the 20% margin - however my point stands.

I can understand how the weapon unequiping or failing to work or reducing damage to a weapon at the level of the player would cause consternation. I can understand why the pet classes are going to find this hard. But how is a 5-10% reduction in damage output going to really affect a lvl 20 something with a lvl 100 weapon. Its across the board.

Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me rather than alluding to some deeper dimension to this that I'm somehow not privee to.

Ok lets provided an example for you lets say we take

*Bean Hammer

Requires 100 2hd Blunt and does 1-100 damage
    A QL 1 Bean Hammer does 1-1 and each QL adds 1 damage(Rouglhy how all weapons work except some start with high min/maxs and go up .5 after that but back to the main point)

Say your level 20 and have 40 points of 2hd Blunt(This example is VERY simplestic)

Meaning your weapon is OE'd by 60%

So every 20% you'd get a -25% reduction or three 25% reducts ending up with a -75% To that hammer
    OR a lvl 25 Hammer which would be 1-25 Damage

Basicly saying you shafted yourself by OEing to much and ending up with a Hammer 5 over your level not 60 over your level

Got it?
    (simplestic example but if you can understand that you can undesrtand OE)
    Fighting for Truth, Common Sense and Leet Dolls Since 1996

Give the people what they want

If I am
    I am
    If Not

Forget It

Umm, thats not what it says on the tin.

If you go and read the original article on OE changes http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...rticles/2540L, nowhere does it say for every 20% you get a 25% reduction.

What it actually says is this

"All weapons more than 20% over-equipped will have DamageBonus, DamageMin and DamageMax reduced with 25%. (DamageMax is the base maximum damage of your weapon. DamageMin is the base minimum damage of your weapon.)

The definition of over-equipped (OE) is: using a weapon if any one of the user's skills/abilities isn't within 20% of what the weapon requires. The formula is:

OE = 100 - (Your Buffed Skill or Ability / Requirement in Same Skill) x 100. If this formula yields 20 or higher, your weapon is over-equipped."

Said by the Word of Gaute however said it was EVER 20% it was 25% reducting in a Mirc chat my friends attended then Comsik posted elsewhere that it was 25% for ever 20%

I'm sorry but I don't have 2 hours to hunt through threads posted 2 months ago with 500+ posts looking for Comsik
    Fighting for Truth, Common Sense and Leet Dolls Since 1996

Give the people what they want

If I am
    I am
    If Not

Forget It