Thread: Clinging to Grace

Clinging to Grace

Well, ok - we've all been here before, and I know i'm going to get flamed for this - and its not a criticism of clan tactics, but of PvP strategy in general. I've only recently started PvPing again, and having been away a while, most of my PvP was done before the Grace period was implemented. Both times I've been in 2ho, same thing happened - I received a guild summons, indicating that several high level clanners are in control of 2ho... so after buffing, me and some others zone in... its empty.

We check the bunkers, and find a number of them sitting inside, so, we pull out and wait half way between bunkers and grid... and then Frylii comes out, waits a few secs, and gets a debuff off on me, and then zones. So, I wait, and after a while, she comes out and debuffs me again. So I wait, and she comes out and... well you get the picture. The only time that Frylii or anyone else attempted to attack anyone was when a guild mate came a bit too close to bunker, and she tried to kill him. I alphaed her, she debuffed me and zoned. Roots don't work properly anyway either. Only thing interesting that happened was when we got bored and started to grid out and found 20 or so clanners in grid about to move in... so we went back to 2ho, faught them openly, and slaughtered them all... people in bunker didn't try to help.

Day 2... a guildmember aks for support because he is under attack by a number of high level clanners... we buff up, and zone in... I kill one who obviously wasn't paying attention, and then me and 4-5 other omni face off Abid, Marshrike, Hunter06, Odeen and a few others around bunkers. Abid comes out, debuffs me, zones, and repeat. We were probably fairly evenly matched... it might have been interesting to fight openly, but the only attempt was when 2 of them alphaed while i was divested and plundered, so I decided to zone into a bunker too. I healed, and rejoined the other omni. After a while I got bored and left. And so on.

Unfortunately, this strategy of hugging grace doesn't really achieve anything, you debuff one person at a time in grace, so there is no way we can stand and wait for you and have to zone/pull back until the debuffs wear off. So every now and then, someone sticks their head out to see if anyone is there, and then runs back in. So far, I've only seen clanners use this strategy, and wouldn't do it myself... why? Cause its boring, takes forever and nothing happens. Every occassion this has happened, the result was the same - Omni got bored and left... I assume that clanners came out after, planted a Clan flag in 2ho, killed a few guards, then got bored too.

Ultimately, Grace was never intended to be used in this way, and in those terms this strategy is an exploit. The first main solution would be to make it impossible for someone in combat in PvP to zone (just like use of the grid) or maybe the zone block should only be there if they have attacked (would avoid people being attacked en-route to mission, etc. becoming stuck) but I understand this may be too difficult to code. Another option - although it by no means solves the problem - is to prevent people in Grace from attacking, and giving attacker a timer for target's grace. Well, people's thoughts on this would be useful, despite the inevitability of this becoming a flame. Whatever. I don't have anything against you clanners personally... I just think that this strategy sucks for all concerned, but then maybe that's just me, and you guys are having an awesome time sitting in that bunker
    -bb

You can't compare standing outside the grid, waiting for a bunch of clanners to zone in. The ones waiting for the gridders always has the upper hand. And the bunker camping... well.. that's boring sure.. but its hard for all people in bunker to zone out all together and target the same person.. so clearly beeing outside the bunker is a lot easier..
    Deep camelot is the best pvp IMO

Wuushu - 176 soldier

Like i have said many times

We need a true battle field . 2ho could be nice if reworked. I hate it when people zone during a battle. I guess so many people have done it in the past so others now believe its the way to pvp. Sounds more like PVR ( player vs runner). I can see zoning if more than one person is on you. Not everytime we fight.

MMD. I HATE MMD! People hugging the 75% . In just long enough to aggro someone 100 levels below themselves. They won't aggro the guy there level.

So in short we need battle fields that when you keep control of them the game gives you something.
    A. Semi rare loot from mobs round that area.
    B. New fraction ranking system attached to your name.
    example : Rookie "John Doe WannaBe" Defender
    Just anything which lets people know you try to do your part.
    C: How bout a new social cloths or battle armor.
    They can be profession and fraction based a new look depending on rank.

A chat which gives battle updates automated.

These are just idea's. I only guard 2ho between missions or when i'm bored of missions.

Originally posted by Wushu
    You can't compare standing outside the grid, waiting for a bunch of clanners to zone in. The ones waiting for the gridders always has the upper hand.
    We weren't camping grid... we entered grid and saw 20+ clanners, and then griddied to ent, and then fought them between wompah and gri. Sure grid camping sucks, thats why clanners tend to form up in 4ho or wherever.

And the bunker camping... well.. that's boring sure.. but its hard for all people in bunker to zone out all together and target the same person.. so clearly beeing outside the bunker is a lot easier..
    Firstly, those people had control of 2ho before we arrived... they gave up the advantage just so they could hug grace. Secondly, None of these people had any problems with zoning and lag (they had plenty of time to zone, pick a target, debuff then retreat) and when they thought they could get me, I got hit by 2 alphas. If you zone fast, 15s is a lot of time to choose your target. Being outside doesn't help... come out all at once, and fire away. There weren't 50 of us causing a lag nightmare for them.
    Last edited by Mnemesis; Jun 3rd, 2002 at 14:26:55.
    -bb

If you think things are bad now, just wait until post-14.2. Right now, if you have enough people with alpha weapons, you might be able to kill someone before they run from one bunker to the next.

With no UVC, forget it. Noone is going to die, and PvP is going to be all about zone games (even more). *yawn*

We need a real battlefield with no zones.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

Question what about this?

It would be nice with one playfield dedicated to PvP.

You grid in and will not be allowed to leave before you either kill someone, get killed by someone or /terminate.

(And of course should /terminate not work while in fight.)

I could be a nice place to grid to.
    I AM Kantarell I AM Mbutu
    Techno-Wizard is the most fun to play!