Thread: Omni and Clan ... People pissed off

Lightbulb Omni and Clan ... People pissed off

Ok I really dont get it...
    MMORPG -- Massivly Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

People get pissed when a clanner shouts about omni scum or the other way around. They try to say that they are poeple too, they say its just a game.

This whole genre of gaming is meant for an escape from the current "real" world. RPG -- means to me if I'm clan I hate omni... If the char I'm on is Omni then I hate clan. Oh and if I'm neutral that I really dont care and dont get involved.

So leave people who at least play the game the way it is intended alone.

-- Hyperlink --

Flame on...

I think RPG means a lot of different things to different people. I think at the very beginning Funcom did imagine OT to be an evil force, on the lines of the Empire in Star Wars or House Harkonnen in Dune. But that didn't quite work out.

The reality on the ground is rather different. First of all a large portion of the player base do not roleplay at all. It's their right, the pay as much as the rest of us. Further more while most Omni-Players chose not to see themselves as neo-nazi sadists, a lot of Clanner players decided to go the psychotic, cool blooded killer route. As a result there a lot of good and bad on both sides which in many ways is more realistic and at the end of the day makes for more satisfying characters.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

well

Roleplaying is fine up to a point but you have to be aware not to take it to far. Sometimes people can get to carried away and the roleplaying becomes nothing more than abuse towards people.

Its fine shouting out clan or Omni scum but the swearing, racial hate, personal comments is taking things to far. Its better to be clever with your statements rather than just insulting people, try to make an event out of it. But if your going to even roleplay hating clans you got to expect the backslash.

It is fairly hard to have a political discussion with someone when very few people understand the political and social scene. Baxie's "Clans are guilty period" has been pissing me off for a while. It is hard to have a discussion around that.

I'd almost propose a salon type deal in Newland's Miiir shop, or something neutral like that... but it would invariably be infested with blind hate shouting and name calling.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Vrach

Lol Vrach,

Baxies view may be extreme but its not unique and it works on both sides. There are as may clans unwilling to see any other option as there are Omni-Tek.

In fact to blame one person is unfair you will find 70% of players on both side would just start killing with no reason.

Its not that its in anyway an invalid view, and perhaps it some up mankind in a deep sense. Maybe the game just brings the worst out in people.

But maybe its just a game and people want 100 % action all the time. For me I enjoy playing a role, to see how the game works on a number of levels. The kill does not really interest me, and i finf the P V P no more than a massive game of paper, sissors stone.

But in the same token I can see why people enjoy the P V P and hate the roleplaying side. Luckily AO allows us to do both, I guess we should not force the roleplayers to P V P nor should we always expect the P V P ers to be able to roleplay.

I know, but Baxie is vocal, and thus a target. :-)

Trust me, I am dealing with a LOT of Clanners talking about destroying all of evil Omni-Tek, and it is pissing me off more than Omnis. I am able to appreciate Omni-Tek's basic value, even if I disagree with their politics and actions, and will fight to protect our independence and the rights of other independent people until Omni-Tek takes up responsibility for the past, present and future. I am more concerned about Sol Banking Corp coming in in 24 years than about Omni-Tek, which is why I would fight against the Dust Brigade alongside OT, as the Rubi-Ka factions fought against Sol before.

Either way, all of my events try to involve 25% gas zones, just to give other people chances to react individually (instead of attacking city guards and saying that we rescue people). Our rescue of the spy from Omni-1 involved getting a level 20 Clanner out of hte middle of Omni-1 Ent without any teleportation, grid, or whompa, and marching through 25% zones on the way north, FFS.

The CoT and OT don't have good relations, but they aren't as severe as some people make it out. it would be better to me, as a role player, to be able to interact with the "enemy" as individuals.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Lightbulb very good point

Yes, i agree with almost all of you, if your going to insult the oppisite side, HAVE REASON IN DOING IT!!! don't say omni is bad because, ummm... well... they're stupid! actualy have a point in politics. otherwise your just going to get the other person to yell back with just as much stupidity as you. if you really want to insult some other side person, do it with class! say something that you think you couldn't think of a comback from. take their breath from them! taunt them, do everything to make them just think: whoa. and don't be someone that just says, whatever, i just wanna lvl. the least you can do is say: yea!

i hope you find my point interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------
    What you do, is go to the grid to omni-trade, and shout out: Hi! i'm recruiting for the clans! who would like to sign up first? everyone just stares at you! and it takes a while for the guard to get to you, but he does get there, so when the guard is chasing you, shout, "Think it over, ok?" then go back to the grid. hehe, that's how i get my kicks other from Reet's Retreat, Stret West Bank. P.S no this isn't jsut a really long signature, it's a personal messege to clans. and everyone for the Reet's part.

I'm beginning to think that some people just like to harrass others and make their lives miserable and are just using "roleplay" as an excuse.

I am seriously getting to the point of petitioning these people. If I want to talk to a RL friend in the game who happens to be playing a character of opposite faction at the moment then leave us the hell alone!

Funny how these people whine, "it's just a game" when it suits their purpose but ignore this fact when it would interfere with something they want to do (namely being a jerk).
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Hehe you should see how much I have to put up with such brats who think they are cool all day long, just because i am absolutely loyal to Omni-Tek. Its really annoying sometimes when you sit somewhere in a meeting with someone, minding your own business and in comes some idiot who thinks he has to harrass me with mooning, shouting and anti-gay remarks.. Luckily there is an /ignore feature in the game, but you cant ignore graphical harrassment and its really bad when you have to leave all places as soon as some childish person comes in to harrass you and uses "roleplaying" as excuse. I could give a list of a few people in Omni-Tek here who would perfectly fall under the above description.. but i wont badmouth anyone here on the forums.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Speaking purely OOC I greatly prefer debate of the pros and cons of the Clans over OT or vice versa then just "You suck" "No YOU suck!" back and forth. However with any idealology there are numbers of hardline adherents that could care less what the other side says, they know because it was said by the "enemy" that it is wrong and whatever their side says is right. It is very realisitic for a great number of poeple to react to any debate on Omni over Clans with "You're just evil!". If you want an example of this in real life sit a conservative christian and a gay right's activist down and see how well a debate goes between them.

When people are on opposite ends of a spectrum there is little chance for debate, for a debate to exist there must be SOME common ground with which to attempt to persuade your opponent, without that common ground you can only argue.
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer

Yes, I'm hopeing to establish a common ground with the clans. Hopefully it will give us something to talk from even if its only to aggree to disaggree. I am tired of people shouting "Omni oppresses!" And I ask them "Why?" They either quiet down without a response or continue with "Die Omni scum!"

I can definately use more background material to rp with. Most of the stuff thats happened like the Dust Brig have since dissappeared into obscurity again. It is hopeful that FC seems to be hosting lots of events again. Can't wait to see them slowly get better and better at it.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

I dont think abusing and insulting is taking it to far...you need to lighten up....and play along and insult and abuse back..thats how it works in a war and with angry people..

Originally posted by Blade / Silke X
    I dont think abusing and insulting is taking it to far...you need to lighten up....and play along and insult and abuse back..thats how it works in a war and with angry people..
    Silke the fact remains that this is a game. If a player asks another player to please leave them alone their request should be respected. There are plenty of other players who are all too happy to enter into the spirit of things at any particular moment.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Originally posted by Blade / Silke X
    Silke, how many minutes can you insult back with retorts of "Omni sucks", "Die terrorist clanner!"? 5 minutes? 10? Ok, 15 minutes have passed and the only thing new insults that has been added are "Omni are facists" and "Go home clanners!". Its turning into abuse and they are getting the bot to spam so you can't talk to the friend next to you. They send threatening tells with obscene language saying how they will perform acts on you if this wasn't a 25% zone.

Are we haveing fun yet?

I stop doing things that are not fun. Calling a clanner or Omni names is not "fun". Repeatedly calling clanner or Omni names repeatedly is not "fun". Being a grief player to ruin their gametime is not "fun". I do believe that insult and minor chideing like a friendly rilvary is acceptable. But ceaseless back and forth name calling is a waste of time. That is what I meant.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

There aren't enough areas for people to team up at and level, so omni, neutral, and clan gather and team together, which kind of throws out the window the feeling that there's any conflict even going on. Most of the planet is 75% or 100% suppression too, such as most hunting areas. This makes it too easy for omni and clan to team up.
    Either make it impossible for a team to have both omni and clan, or reduce the entire planet to 0% or 25% so omni and clan can't casually hang out with each other. Apart from occasional ganking and duelling in MMD and 2HO there's no war going on at all, which I don't think is the original planet concept.

If the whole world is 0-25% zones I'm quitting AO, period.

The planet will be overrun with leet uber pvp guilds gunning everything that dares shows its head and can be shot at. It'll be anarchy and it'll be online. But definately not what the majority of the people want with pvp in its current state.

I agree, if AO went 100% pvp I would have to quit too.

Its all about freedom of choice. I do not force anyone to roleplay, no one can force me to powerlevel. Different styles of players can all co-exist on the same world and do our own thing and enjoy this game in our own way.

The trouble with PvP is that it is not based on mutual consent. Some one can drag me into PvP with no regards as to whether I enjoy PvP or not.

In the current system I can choose not to PvP by avoiding (or taking great care in) PvP zones. If that changed I would feel my right to play this game on my on terms and just do those things I enjoy would have been taken away from me.

I do not want to stop anyone from engaging in PvP; as long as I don't have to participate in it.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I'm still trying to figure out what there is conflict over right now in the story. Something about Omni-Tek thinking the Dust Brigade was part of the Council of Truth?

Besides direct actions as the above, there is no in-game reason for either side to 'hate' the other. Each faction has access to plenty of land and is granted recognized autonomy by the other. You could conceivably go an entire lifetime without seeing a member of the 'opposing' faction.

Besides rogue factions who refuse to take the reality of the political situation and the PvP'ers who would kill each other even if O-T and the CoT ended up in bed together, Omni-Tek has done NOTHING permanently damaging to the Clans and vice-versa.

The apartment bombing if the investigation ever were concluded might prompt some action. The Sabulum incident played itself to a peaceful conclusion. There is no reason for a Clanner to say any particular O-T employee 'sucks' when in fact he may be a loving father and loyal worker. Likewise, the Clanner that the O-T says 'sucks' might be a farmer on a hunt with some buddies in Varmint Woods.

I think most of the problem stems from those where were looking for a persistent Team Fortress Classic and can't grasp the concept of a story that is more complicated than 'us vs. them'.

Obviously, it goes without saying that a storyline that develops over the course of time, which includes periods of peace as well as periods of hostility is more interesting than 4 years of two sides each saying the other 'sucks'.

I could write the 'story' that some of these RP'ers think they are acting out in one line:

'Omni-Tek and the Clans killed each other for four years and then the servers were closed.'

Pretty exciting, huh?