Thread: MIT hired to design Nanotech armor!

MIT hired to design Nanotech armor!

Really weird stuff. It looks like the US goverment has awared MIT a 50 million dollars grant to design a Nanotech armor battlesuit for the military.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-859877.html

i'm willing to bet it'll have better projectile protection than ours does

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    Cool, thanks sharing the article Zugs.

WTB QL70+ US Army NanoTech Body Armor. Give /tell!

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

NERF IT!!
    Snarf: Level 165 Atrox NT

"At one time you were maybe a little useful Snarf. Now you're just being annoying." -- Hawkman

"Well one guy said Atrox was the worst breed for the NT. The other guy said......'You tell that to Snarf....he'll kick your arse!' You are a NT Rockstar!" -- Hemicuda

"Snarf, Snerf, Nerf. It's YOU that brought nerf to NT's you you!" -- Rhayden

"Snarf cuts to the core of the problem like a chainsaw to a bunny rabbit." -- Deaddreamer

My MP wears a nano helmet. I want him to be able to jump 20 feet high and heal over time really fast.

(Without casting QW and having my healer heal me ofcourse)
    -War is not about who is right, it is about who is left.

- L92 MP
    - L7 Enf

OH MY GOD. I'll only be about 60 by the time this stuff is usable. Maybe they'll still let me join the military. I WANT A SUPER SUIT.

Actually, maybe they will just produce one prototype, and some bleeding heart scientist will decide he doesn't want it being used to kill people. He'll then fold it up and stick it in one of those ubiquitous aluminum suitcases that government people always use on TV. Then he will flee here to Texas, with the government agents hot on his heels. At my local mall, he will secret the suitcase under my car while he tries to shake some agents that have caught up with him, but they catch him, and just as they are preparing to handcuff him he will go for a gun. They will have no choice but to shoot him.

Returning to my car, I will find the suitcase in the parking lot, and retrieve it because (being an aluminum suitcase like the ones on TV) it must be full of either money or something cool, with only a slight possiblity of being filled with vials of some sort of super-disease. I am willing to take that risk.

When I get home, I will remove the bright yellow apparently spandex longjohns from the suitcase, slightly puzzled. "What the heck?", I will think, and I will try it on. I'll wonder why it has little cartoonish atomic nuclei caricatures on the sleeves, and a large stylized 'N' on the chest. I will also flatly refuse to wear the included cape, at first.

Being a comfortable pair of longjohns, I will start wearing them under my clothes, as I'm sure they will be much more comfortable than what's under there now due to the built in 'nanocomfort (tm)' technology. Soon, when my wife and I are confronted by thugs in a random mugging late one night in a city park, I will inadvertantly tap in to new powers I posess...

My clothes entirely burned away by the ensuing battle, the media will later show a shaky hand-cam image of me streaking off into the night. With great power, comes great responsibility.

(Oh yeah, I guess I'm carrying my wife while I'm streaking off too. :))

I watched too much TV as a kid.

I would definitely pick up the suitcase too. Anyway, I think that things like this are just too f'n cool. A suit the deflects bullets. The closest thing I remember seeing like that is a special suit made for forest rangers to use during bear control. Ursa 6 I think it was called. I can't seem to find anything on the net about it or I'd include links. Anyway, the thing actually looks alot like a silver Battle Suit. From the live testing they did on it it can withstand several direct shots from a 12 gauge shotgun, being smashed against a tree by a truck going 35mph and short-term exposure to open flame. I really wish I could remember more or find something on the net about it, as it was really really cool.

Edit: Ursus Mark VI. I found some info finally, check it out. I want one =D

http://www.outsidemag.com/magazine/0...grizzlies.html
    http://www.nfb.ca/grizzly/suit.html
    Last edited by Painsmaiden; Mar 16th, 2002 at 08:58:59.

[humor]
    bah!

Everyone knows that battlesuits are fubar to use. They have a +200% nanocost. even worse than tank-armours.

the Ursus Mark VI must be around ql80, btw. 150k sounds about the right price for a ql80-ish b.suit.

[/humor]

seriously, really, really cool stuff! Both the nanotecharmour AND the tankarmour!