Thread: A Simple Yet Effective Alternate OE Fix -- Everyone Wins!

A Simple Yet Effective Alternate OE Fix -- Everyone Wins!

Hi,

I thought up the system below recently. I think it is much better than the current OE fix, and also much better than the current state of the game.

The key benefits are:

* It doesn't make high level equipment useless (unless you're very high level)

* It makes it possible to carry a variety of equipment and switch guns or whatever based on the situation (this is something I hate about the current OE system -- once you put something on, you *never* want to take it off).

* It makes buffs useful.

* It makes debuffs useful.

Here's how it would work for armor and weapons:

* "To Wield" requirements are half of the current wield requirements

* "Optimal" requirements are equal to the current wield requirements

* "Max QL" is equivalent to the current QL

* "Effective QL" is calculated as the lesser of:
    -- the Max QL
    -- the highest QL of the item that the character could
    wield with their current stats

* When you wear/wield the item, the "Effective QL" is what measures your damage, ROF, AC, etc.

Examples:

* I am a level 50 soldier. I find a QL 100 Novaflow.

* In the current system, I would not be able to wield the rifle without extra help -- normally I could only wield a QL 70 Novaflow.

* In the new system, I can definitely wield the QL 100 Novaflow. However, it will only function as a QL 70 based on my current skills.

* I get a buff from a friend, and now I have my skills shoot up to QL 80. Because this is still lower than the QL 100 max of the Novaflow, the rifle now acts as a QL 80 in my hands.

* I get a superbuff from another friend, and now I have the skills to handle a QL 110 rifle. Because this is higher than the max QL 100 on the Novaflow, my effective QL is only 100. If I can find a QL 110 or higher rifle, I can get the full benefits of the weapon.

The main drawback here is that I'm not sure how it would work with NF and pets and everything else. NF I think could work a pretty similar way. Not sure about ther other stuff though.

Well, what do you think? Please post your feedback, especially if you like this.

Or here's an idea that the title of your thread inspired:

Add a command, /win. Your character does a little dance, is raised to level 200 (thus eliminating OE) and decked out in the best of equipment (for sh!ts and giggles).

After using /win, mind you, you'll lose the ability to attack, pick up any more items, or gain any more experience.

Still... I wonder how many people would use it?
    Cyteprios: Level 16 OT Crat, RK1.

Omni-Tek prevails, citizen.

Anybody want to share their thoughts on this? I see that a few people have read it ...

The more I think about it, the more this seems to make sense. And this really won't be too hard to code. Hell, I'll even write the function to calculate effective QL myself if they want me to. They have my email.

Epswars