Thread: Transmission

Post Transmission

(((ooc - I'm a new player, trying to flesh my char out a little now I've gotten his feet wet. Part of his first letter home)))

Destination - Mekong Dominion, Terra Nova Source - Borealis, Rubi Ka

FAO - Sous Prefect Sergei Yamakawa, 32nd Mekong Peacekeepers

"Snake, It's Cantara. I'm sending this from Rubi Ka, so I know you probably won't recieve it for a while. I can only afford to send this one message for the forseeable future, and I'm sending it to you in the hope that you can help me find a way out of my current predicament. I couldn't send this to Lena, please, don't let her read this, just let her know that I'm safe and that I'm trying to figure out a way home right now.

I'm stranded. I took the shuttle in ten days ago, just like you said to. Everything was going fine until we were about to enter the atmosphere, and then BANG! we got attacked by aliens! The shuttle dives down, I feel my heart leap into my throat, and the next thing I know I'm being pulled out of a mess of wreckage and dumped infront of a nurse with no hair. Things haven't really gotten much better since then.

I lost my bag in the crash, Snake. All of my identification, all of my credits, all of my gear. There is no way I can identify our contact now.

This entire planet is insane. Its wearing its underpants on its head. I arrived in Borealis, expecting to find somewhere to rest up for a while. I got off the hopper tired, still feeling beaten up by the crash. The first thing I see is an armed ICC guard patrolling the shopping district, growling at all us new arrivals to disperse. I kept my solar powered pop gun out of site, and started moving. I didn't manage to find a room that night, I just kept wondering around in a daze. All the buildings here are grey, angular and concrete. I still keep geting lost now since I have so much trouble telling the shops apart. The ICC guards, and the corpers and the clanners with their rifles scan the tops of buildings and glare at me as I walk past them. So much fear. So much mistrust.

It took me a couple of days to pull it together. I found a room with the money I made at the ICC port, and there was enough left to get a change of clothes. I didnt dare think I was stranded then, I just decided to find a couple of odd jobs, and earn enough credits to carry on sleeping indoors. There is plently of paid work here at least, plenty of paid work for people that don't mind getting their hands dirty. I fetched and carried a few things for people. I heard about a big clean up operation going on in the city subway, and talked to a few people that had been down there on 'salvage' trips. The next day I went with them, and crawled through some stinking underground caverns shooting at anything that shot at me. Subsequently I made enough credits to stop for a moment and think of the bigger picture.

I couldn't bear the thought of trawling through the subways again, having done it once was enough. Maybe it was time for me to leave Borealis already? I packed a small bag and headed to a grid terminal. I'd never travelled through the grid on Rubi Ka before, I just headed to the place with the most innocous name. Thats how I almost got killed for the third time last week. The city of Tir, apparently, is the stronghold of a clan warlord called Silverstone. He doesn't issue visas, but he does like to have his guards fire on unarmed men as they walk towards the city gates. I was lucky the guard was a bad shot, and the volley only shattered the bones in my right arm. I was luckier still to make it back to the grid terminal before I started to feel the pain, and even managed to take a few steps after rematerialising in Borealis before I passed out. I woke up in the street, gazing at another nurse with no hair. The reconstruction on my arm left me bankrupt again, so I crawled off back to the subway.

I couldn't handle it for long, Snake, I found myself a more exclusive job with a Borealis ex militia. Now I'm just like one of those paranoid guards, walking the streets with a gun. I got tipped well I guess, they found me some armour to wear to make me look the part, and I'm not entirely by myself any more. I know I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact I'm probably never going to find a way off this planet now, but please, if there is any way you can help me, then get me off this god forsaken rock.

Your Friend,
    Xavier Cantara"

### Delivery Failure Notification ### Your Message Could Not Be Delivered ###
    Anna 'Anuket' Tenebrae - Reassembled Grape Juice Hunter

-Elite Operations-

Quote Originally Posted by XCantara
    ### Delivery Failure Notification ### Your Message Could Not Be Delivered ###
    It was Nevver's time to perform mail duty. How she hated this "task," but it was required of all Omni-Tek employees to be crosstrained in many departments so that all individuals could understand the whole process as much as possible. Monitoring outgoing mail transmissions from the planet was boring at best and as nonviolent as can be at worst.

Nevver glared at the screen, watching the electronic mail scroll by and performing this job that was well below her abilities...

Subject: Omni-Tek gave me a raise!
    Sender: Eternalforce (Omni-Tek)

Approve

Subject: I just heard a great Omni joke!
    Sender: Fixerben (Clan)

Delete

Subject: Chile Recipe
    Sender: Ditzie (Omni-Tek)

Copy
    Approve

Subject: Just a quick note to you, Mom
    Sender: Vixentrox (Clan)

Delete
    Delete
    Delete

Subject: Letter Home
    Sender: XCantara (Neutral)

Delete

Nevver blinked.

"Oops."

"Oh well."

Quote Originally Posted by XCantara
    This entire planet is insane. Its wearing its underpants on its head.
    ((Hee hee! ))
    Last edited by Nevver; Dec 14th, 2004 at 15:55:08.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner