Thread: Saving the Rhinomen

Saving the Rhinomen

As a socially responsible company, RUR naturally is very sensitive to environmental problems. So when Slotine told us about environmental dangers due to how the rhinoman basher population had turned on the rest of the rhinomen well felt moved to do something . So I asked a few employees whether they would mind coming in on a Sunday, treking down to Newland Desert to help keep the rhinoman basher down, I was pleased to notice we go plenty of offers.

Thanks also to the help fo Eerika and Ticklebones, we managed to take down 101 rhinoman bashers without in most instance injuring any other rhinomen species.

I urge everyone to consider helping out with the rhinoman basher problem, after all, regardless of faction, this is our planet we are helping to preserve.

Regards,

Dabblez
    Rubi-Ka Universal Robots

/ooc

Funcom has intiated a rather unique Christmans Charity event. It will try to raise $3000 to help protecct wild rhinos and has linked this to an in-game activity. Basically for each Rhinoman Basher we kill (and just Bashers) they will donate 10 cents. So we got a couple fo teams, roughly of the right level, and I said above killed 101 Bashers, trying hard not to aggro other rhinomen. It was good fun, for a good cause. There are a lot worse way to pass an afternoon in AO.

The original message is included below (I cold not find the link). Give it a go!

Support Funcom’s Christmas Charity program - Save a Rhino

Finally we would like to put the spotlight on our Christmas charity program. In a world full of evolutionary challenges we have decided to shed some light on the extinction of animal species, and in this particular case Rhinos. "What?" you might be saying, but it’s a fact that humanity is the driving factor behind an alarming increase in animal extinction. Save The Rhino International is an organization which saves Rhinos by supporting projects that protect them and their habitat, raising public awareness of conservation. The organization is currently working on projects and/or research in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Congo, Namibia, South Africa, Malaysia and Sumatra. 30 years ago, the total world rhino population numbered around 70,000 - today it has dropped to roughly 18,000. Even though the Rhinos have been around for 25-40 million years they have a bleak future. We can do something about this as humans are clearly behind this evolution, with the biggest killers being land encroachment and poaching. By helping Save the Rhino International you can be of invaluable aid in increasing the aid and awareness for one of the most majestic animals on our planet.

In the spirit of Christmas and to help with the good cause Funcom are giving our players the chance to help. (Let’s pretend) the other Rhinomen on Rubi-Ka are always being hunted by the Rhinoman Bashers, so for each and every Rhinoman basher which is defeated in Anarchy Online (yes we will track it) Funcom will donate 10 cents to Save the Rhino, with a goal of reaching a cap of 3,000 USD. We will let everyone know as soon as we have reached the limit. YOU can also be of help, and we have thus established a donation account at www.justgiving.com/funcom where you can, if you wish, give your donation. If you wish to use Paypal versus a credit card to donate, please go to www.paypal.com and simply send your donation to our address pr@funcom.com .

We are not forcing anyone to give or even take a stand, but we are kindly asking for you to at least consider the implications of a world with less wildlife. We all have a common responsibility for the future of our planet.

Best regards Funcom
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Well, not only the Bashers attack unprovoked. Are you saying we shouldn't kill them if they don't attack, or that we shouldn't kill them at all? It may be a matter of survival, after all.
    Zen koan of the day:
    What is the sound of one buttock farting?

As an independant operator I wholeheartedly support helping out the Rhinopeople by informing the Rhinomen Bashers of our displeasure with their rude and uncalled-for behaviour. Of course, if any misinformed individuals amongst the other Rhinomen attempt to thwart our attempt at peacemaking, then they must be enlightened as to our true purpose.

I see this is a great chance for all those who claim to strive for freedom and justice "for all" to show that they really will help others to achieve this worthy goal - living in peace on this great planet. Now it only remains to be seen how many really will back up their words..

/ooc 115 bashers down so far Too bad I can only play on weekends.. :/
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

How about the leets

I don't see people rallying to the side of the leets. Poor little beasts being swung around by their tails.

If you swung a cat around by its tail you would get scratched or bite for you efforts, so it goes to prove that leets aren't aggressive and can't defend for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by aheadjoy
    I don't see people rallying to the side of the leets. Poor little beasts being swung around by their tails.

If you swung a cat around by its tail you would get scratched or bite for you efforts, so it goes to prove that leets aren't aggressive and can't defend for themselves.
    I'll much rather defend the leets than the rhinomen. Leets can even be domesticated, as shown recently.
    Zen koan of the day:

My field is robotics, not the life-sciences. I am basically just on what the local environment agencies are telling us with regards to the Rhinoman Basher problem.

There have been several leet protection campaigns in the past, The FriendLeet Foundation spirngs to mind. However in my view rhinomen are much more evolved and intelligent than leets and as such their needs should take priority.

Dabblez
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy
    There have been several leet protection campaigns in the past, The FriendLeet Foundation spirngs to mind. However in my view rhinomen are much more evolved and intelligent than leets and as such their needs should take priority.
    Well, even hecklers have some rudimentary intelligence. The rhinomen are much more antisocial than leets, and they're not half as cute. Plus, they can kill me. Leets can't, normally. Easy calculation for me.
    Zen koan of the day:

Well, then - start a save the leets charity and quit yammering about it. This is about saving Rhinomen, not debating which creatures deserve help more than them.
    Last edited by Nevver; Dec 8th, 2004 at 12:22:55.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

I believe that even though the rhinomen bashers may be rude, they are life forms nonetheless and have just as much right to live as the rhinomen do. Save the rhinomen bashers!
    Nezhinau 220/23 Engineer
    Building QL 300 Mutated AI Crabs Omnified with 5 gems!
    Also: 220 MA, 220 Crat, 167 Fixer, 155 MP, Dr. Toot

Quote Originally Posted by Arimathea
    I believe that even though the rhinomen bashers may be rude, they are life forms nonetheless and have just as much right to live as the rhinomen do. Save the rhinomen bashers!
    "Rude"? I don't call attacking everything that moves rude, I call it homicidal! But I'll let all you treehuggers ramble on, and leave this discussion. Sorry if I was too offensive.
    Zen koan of the day:

I agree with Ms McGallagher:
    Don't try to mix up things in here, this planet is mixed-up enough already.
    A thing to consider would be if it's possible to have the Rhino Bashers all move to a specific area, along the same lines that we humanoids have our separate areas.
    But so far I've met nothing but violence and rhetoric from the Bashers and their followers, they have shown no interest in a peaceful co-existance whatsoever.
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

Personally, I've rather enjoyed the violent encounters that I've had with the Bashers so far.

Bashers - 0
    Nevver - many
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

The rhinomen can be wonderful gentle people if you guys didn't storm your ways into their camps waving your guns and shiny sticks at them. You guys make me sick!

You know, maybe the aliens were bringing us gifts or something for saving the Shadowlands!

Rubi-Ka, shoot first, ask questions later.
    Hunter "Metaljedd" Shelling, Martial Artist - Squad Commander of Obsoleet (@.@)/'
    Katia "Headexplody" Niss, Fixer - General of Obsoleet (@.@)/' Equip
    Pedro "Xdash" Niss, Bureaucrat - Unit Member of Obsoleet" (@.@)/'
    "Pytha" Shade - Squad Commander of Obsoleet (@.@)/'
    Explorer 73% Killer 46% Achiever 40% Socializer 40%

Remember that the bashing of bashers... uh... is only valid between December 12th and December 19th.
    Last edited by Callantha; Dec 10th, 2004 at 16:24:20.
    ~Have you hugged your leet today?~

F̶u̶n̶c̶o̶m̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶:̶)̶
    Thanks for "fixing" DM, Funcom, yeah, no really... thank you so, so much. I was missing having my toolset put back to 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Callantha
    Remember that the bashing of bashers... uh... is only valid between December 12th and December 19th, 2004.
    Oh well, it's not like I didn't enjoy what I was doing this morning.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by Callantha
    Remember that the bashing of bashers... uh... is only valid between December 12th and December 19th, 2004.
    Well, since practise makes perfect, I certainly intend to practise - and if I can remove some bullys at the same time, then I'd say that it is time well spent.
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams