Thread: Character advancement without fighting

Character advancement without fighting

Ok,

It has recently come to my attention that you are putting this great idea on the back burner. I have come up with some ways of making it possible but it will be very hard for you to do i am afraid. I suggest that you make a new server to test it out first. What you can do is remove the levels for the players. keep the levels for the monsters and such but remove them for people. If you do this and make skills raise independantly you can achieve the long time dream to have non-combat character advancement. Also remove the IP that you are given each level. since skills and stats will raise at a steady rate one would have no use for the IP any more. People who dont want to do combat can practice magic on themselves near a town and stay relatively safe while bringing up their magic skills. If a nano uses two different stats make it so both of them go up over time. If a person wants to use 2 weapons make it so they can use it at what ever skill level they are currently but make it so it doesnt hit well at all, for instance untill you make the required level for the weapon's 2 hand ability it hits at 40-60 percent of its normal hitting power. same deal with nano-programs accept that they wont always work every time and it will take your nano-energy to attempt a cast. This system can work the same way with non-combat things as well. This simple idea goes with the saying, "The more you practice, the better you get"
    If you do something enough then you will get better at doing it. So this will take an overhaul and a total changing of the system as it is now but im telling you, its possible!!! its been done before and i know that with a lot of time and energy it can be done.. Good luck programmers

And to all Rubi-Ka players i say this, if you havent played where non-combat advancement is possible you haven't lived!!!

Thanks for your time,

VI
    Yes, I am the REAL Village Idiot!

best idea i've heard in a long while...
    I must warn you that I fight very dirty, I spit and fart and soil myself

Me

"Sings we a dances of Wolves
    Who smells fear and slays the coward

Sings we a dances of Mans
    Who smells Gold and slays his brother"

ugh

just go back to UO

Angry Don't you dare do that

You realize that using the skill improvement is exactly what made many people quit two of the online games? UO had a mild fix. AC has this problem still and you never really level up in AC... you just get better at skills if you have enough patience.

Removal of IP would be an extremely bad idea. play AC for one week if you can try and advance without ever fighting anything at all (if you're crazy enough) it'll be difficult to make money. And most importantly your chances of actually getting important good at your skills drasticly decreases when you don't have controll over which ones actually "get the points"

UO adjusted it so you can choose which skills to increase. But UO has no varriables which make it worth doing such. It's a massive PVP (rp if you can) server. Right now AO has a much higher potential as you dont HAVE to PvP, and it's not necessary to actually fight things to gain xp (albeit it's more difficult to level without fighting)

When the content catches up with the current game format you'll probably have no complaints.

Hrmm you totally missed the point.. a hybrid of AC and UO would be perfect.. how can you not agree??? You think this is all about PVP you are foolish. I do not revolve around PVP this message was NOT to be about pvp it was just to start people thinking about how it could be modified to make it so it was non-combat skill raising techniques. If you take out the IP and just (once again retelling what i said before) your skills go up independantly of your level. If u can get a delacte balance between level and skills it IS very possible. Yes i beleve that the system in AC was not perfect.. but what really IS perfect?? this post was a BRAINSTORMING post.. i wanted the idea brainstormers know that it is possible and that with some thought it can be done. I dont care what YOU or anyone else thinks of my ideas.. it doesnt matter. so who ever reads my above post, this wasnt for YOU.. this was for the creators and the actual employees at FC..
    Yes, I am the REAL Village Idiot!

A modified concept with the IP system, but using two branches: Combat Level and Trade Level. Different IP trees, so you can't raise one trade level and raise combat abilities, and vice versa.

On a comparable time scale, it takes max 2 minutes to kill a really tough mob solo, and 5 (extremely lucky) - 60 to make a gun, but the gun gives a much smaller amount of XP. By adjusting the system, tradeskills would be useful, but not soemthing that levelled combat abilities, and thus you aren't afraid of someone gaining 50 levels in an hour by exploiting tradeskills.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

meow ive earned 450k xp by making free implants now hehe..and mosnter parts for people...meow....

here's a thought, well a two part thought, first greatly increase the amount of xp given for successful completion of tradeskills, then why not remove the caps on trade skills all together, i.e. no title caps no 3/4/5 max gain per level, this would allow people more interested in tradeskills to be able to assist higher level combat oriented people in the manufacture of their items, thereby allowing access to larger XP giving items and making it possible to level even if they aren't combatants

non-combat advancement simply doesnt work in a level based game.

Funcom are retards, what do you expect?

Originally posted by Vrach
    A modified concept with the IP system, but using two branches: Combat Level and Trade Level. Different IP trees, so you can't raise one trade level and raise combat abilities, and vice versa.
    I like that ideal, but I fear it would be too difficult ro rollover the current accounts to the new system.
    O b i t u s Atrox Clan Enforcer My trade skill? Smackin' stuff till it cries! Obi's Rig
    Unit Memer of S t o r m

Never Forget

Quite.... perhaps for AO2. :-)

You could impliment an IP change in conjunction with the released of an "expansion pack", basically a large patch free for people with accounts to DL, a $10 shipping and processing charge, and a relaunch of the game. Convert account IP data and leave the skills where they are, but basically cut and paste the tradeskill IP to a new tree and make Combat Levels and Trade Levels , with respective levels and judge both by current IP allotment (say, with average 200 skill points in a trade skill and average 300 in combat (for an ~ level 50 char), you'd split it so that the combat level were the same ratio Trade/Combat levels. It would be very messy at first, but it would work OK after a while.

Either that, or do it with a concurrent IP wipe, which I think is a worse idea.

Either that, or do it in AO2. :-p
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist