Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You know who you are!

Are we talking about the same EQ here Kirrana? EQ has *one* roleplaying preferred server and the rest are just servers (The RP server you can only have one character, everyone is Anonymous, you can't do /ooc or auction. Its called Firiona Vie. The rest are just servers for you to play on with the exception of Tallon Zek, Rallos Zek, Sallon Zek, and Vallon Zek.)
    Also, I agree with Tappert. Its not Rpers vs PvPers. You can RP in PvP. Its more of a RP vs l33torz. I like the idea of the RP only server and GMs the are similar to police. However, I want to stress (again) that I would like the option of transferring my current character(s) to the RP server.

Uwen
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

RP Servers Never Work

The theory sounds nice having an RP only server but it just will not work. At the moment next to no events occur on RK2 I suggest this is down to a lack in time and staff. If it becomes the RPG server you expect the story to follow it. But of course most of the players will not want to be on the server without the story. Even if the story was on both servers most people will play on just the one and follow there friends and guilds no matter what server they are on.

Just because you have an RPG server does not mean you will have the idiots messing up the events. If you can do it on one server then the same rules should apply to all servers. Its not as if the RPG server via FC can force people to roleplay thats just not going to happen. Also you dont think the people that are seen as roleplayers are not the people shouting out at events anyway.

I mean do you really think most of the players will want to play on what would be seen as the bad boys server. Having different servers might work in EQ or DOAC where you can only have a few thousand on each. But AO is not like that the world was ment to be only as one. The reason RK2 was created in the first place went down to the issue of lag. With the population on RK1 reduced and a lot of the lag problems solved.

Well lets face the facts currently RK2 is next to empty anyway, FC I am sure are looking to reduce costs as any company would. How long do you think two worlds will last. It think it is only a matter of time before the worlds are brought together.

You can make the issue over complex at times all we need is control over events. The problem is only a few people causing a problem. Deal with them and the problem is solved no need for another server.

Re: RP Servers Never Work

Originally posted by Kirrana
    The theory sounds nice having an RP only server but it just will not work.
    I’m confused why you would say a roleplay server would never work when there are now three of them working for DAoC quite well. This isn’t a theory, it’s something that’s proven to work. I actually play on two servers in DAoC, one roleplay and one non-roleplay. While I enjoy both, the difference between them is night and day.

Just because you have an RPG server does not mean you will have the idiots messing up the events. If you can do it on one server then the same rules should apply to all servers. Its not as if the RPG server via FC can force people to roleplay thats just not going to happen.
    Actually, that’s the whole point of a roleplay server. Again, in DAoC, there are strict guidelines dictating how you must play if you wish to play on the roleplay server. These guidelines are enforced, and deviations from those guidelines can result in anything from temporary suspension of your account, or to you being banned from the roleplay server. All this was discussed earlier in this thread, by the way.

I mean do you really think most of the players will want to play on what would be seen as the bad boys server.
    I think there are obviously people out there who have no interest in roleplaying, who would be aware that they are incapable of following a roleplay server ruleset, and would thus not bother to play on that server (if for no other reason than to avoid account suspensions).

I’m not really sure why you would be against a roleplay server. If you want to be in an enviroment with other people who are roleplaying full time and are willing to follow the strict rules there.. you can play on the roleplay server. If you just want to play AO because you like accomplishing things, min-maxing rulesets, powergame, or whatever, and roleplaying doesn’t really hold an interest for you.. you can play on the non-roleplay server. Everybody wins.

I don't think it's going to happen

People on RK2 are constantly talking about how RK1 is favored when it comes to events. The problem would just be worsen by adding another server roleplay or not.

I think the main problem with multiple servers is that they all have to follow the storyline and with the players on each server doing different things, the storyline would have to be different on each server and I don't think Funcom has the staffing to allow for that.

There isn't any storyline on DAoC so they can have as many servers as they want.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Daoc was all witht hey hey you look like me, hmm look the same spells but ...an upgraded version that LOOKS the same.

I wont.....Must..

thats better
    Stopped.

Rant off..
    Control
    Power within too strong....aaaaiii!

i like the idea of a role play server.

this game lends itself to role play very little as is. a role play server would hopefully see players helping each other role play.

you could have all zones be 0%. you could establish player political organizations. i you get out of hand, player police or vigilantes can gank you until you get tired of it or change your play style.

while i would like to carry over my current character, i would not mind starting a new one.

FC could their main story efforts on the RP server, and give the hack n slash servers events that suit their play style more. people should not be overly upset about this if they know ahead of time, and especially if it suits their play style better.

Originally posted by Thyrra
    i like the idea of a role play server.

this game lends itself to role play very little as is. a role play server would hopefully see players helping each other role play.

you could have all zones be 0%. you could establish player political organizations. i you get out of hand, player police or vigilantes can gank you until you get tired of it or change your play style.

while i would like to carry over my current character, i would not mind starting a new one.

FC could their main story efforts on the RP server, and give the hack n slash servers events that suit their play style more. people should not be overly upset about this if they know ahead of time, and especially if it suits their play style better.
    In order to make this work, Funcom would have to allow people to move their characters over to the new server because otherwise people whose play style match that of the new server would be upset at having to start over again.

Presumably they could do this on a one time basis just as Verant does when a server splits on EQ.

I gather that you are saying that roleplayers would be more interested in events geared to the storyline than hack and slashers?
    Martial Artist

Originally posted by Laeni
    In order to make this work, Funcom would have to allow people to move their characters over to the new server because otherwise people whose play style match that of the new server would be upset at having to start over again.

Presumably they could do this on a one time basis just as Verant does when a server splits on EQ.

I gather that you are saying that roleplayers would be more interested in events geared to the storyline than hack and slashers?
    a role play server without direct character transfer could work. it might not make you happy, or me for that matter; but it could work.

yes, i am suggesting that storyline events geared at role players would likely find a more receptive audiance.

hack n slashers can get events too. but their events could be geared more toward their play style. an attack on a town by mobs, a la borgs attacking big towns. a big pvp battle, a la fight to control Sabulum.

there would be no need to remove any of the pvp elements from a role playing server; but pvp would not be anywhere near as big an issue on such a server as it is now, hopefully.

A rollplay server might work...

and if possible might be a great thing, but I bet most of the people on both RK's would transfer to it. Almost everyone on in AO expresses some interest in the story, so I'd bet that the other servers would become mostly empty. Not that that is necessarily bad, tho.

If there were a roleplaying server, I think Funcom’s events would be much better received there. Certainly there wouldn’t be anyone shouting out out-of-character comments and complaints at these events (because doing so with a strict roleplay ruleset on the server would guarantee you a one-way ticket off of it).

With that in mind, which server do you think Funcom would start concentrating it’s story and roleplaying events on? I’m thinking the one where roleplayers actually try to play along with the events.

As for everyone flocking to the roleplay server, keep in mind that not everyone would be able to live with the ruleset there, nor find the restrictions enjoyable. Some players would just be flat out expelled from the server by Funcom.

I would much rather bring over my existing character, by the way. As cool as a roleplaying server would be.. I just don’t have the heart to level up again from the beginning. The gameplay and missions leave much to be desired in that department.

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    My guess is that most people will actually have players on both normal and RP servers. Which style of play you prefer more (i.e. game dynamics versus roleplaying) would determine which one you've chosen as your primary (if that's even an accurate term in this case). The RP server would exist - NOT to have more story events or such things - but merely for the fact that GM's can excercise their powers without constraint.

In fact, both servers should have events, but realistically, the ones on the normal servers will most likely degenerate down into shouting matches as they've done so far. The RP server, because of the arbritrary enforcement should be a little more managable by the story team, and by consequence, more entertaining to players who 'behave'.

As to why we're even discussing another server when RK2 is dying... well, for starters, RK2 is a direct mirror of RK1, rule-set and all. The GM's are as powerless on both servers. Aside from the fact that there are hardly any events run by the story team on RK2, there is no difference.

And that brings me to why there aren't many events on RK2. The strongest impeteus I see against the story team throwing good events is the lack of morale...

Or more precisely, have you ever yourself thrown a player-event and have people crash it (I'm not talking about server crash)? What would you do? The GMs when they throw their events can't do anything about it either. All they can do is say "Please be quiet." for the Nth time. Now, if that's all you could do, would you ever throw another one again after that? Well, that's what the story team is faced with on RK1. Are they enthusiastic about throwing the same failed event on RK2?

Granted, they're getting paid... but regardless of that fact, morale still has an influence on their productivity, and the creativness of the events they generate. In fact, why do you think most of the newest events are of the type "Generate # MOBs with # hitpoints." They're the easiest to control with very little GM-player interaction, and honestly, from what I've seen from the event crowds, I understand why they've done this.

The RPG server as we've been discussing, alleviates that feeling of haplessness by the story team. And the happier they are about making events, the better we all are. Would they flock towards the RPG server? Yes. It would, in effect, become their playground. New ideas. New situations. New styles of roleplaying.

But because it is a JOB, they will still have to perform events on the normal server (FC must be clear to their employees that events are to be held on both). Are we back to the bad morale thing again? Of course. It'll be the same situation as we currently have... some people mouthing off during the event... using it as a instant 'forum'. But, at the end of the day, the story team will not feel trapped. They won't feel hapless. At the end of the day, they'd still have the RPG server.... and so will we.

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

YES!

I agree it must be demoralizing for the GMS to try and have an event only to have it spoiled by a bunch of brats who were never taught any manners.

And the whole point of a roleplay server is that by playing on it, players have agreed to follow the explicit rules and have agreed to the right of the GMs expelling them from the server if they don't follow those rules.

Of course that won't stop the brats from initially trying to ruin things but once they've been thrown off a few times they should get the message.
    Martial Artist

And how about a Armour and Implant wipe? Cuz there alot of people using bugs and exploits.

If you can get it ..no, then they would go back to the old server.

Nah I wont bother.
    If there will be a chance to make new chars on a clean server without the old bugs being used and then news ones etc, Id move to that.

HOLD ON ONE SECOND...

FORGET ALL I SAID, ALL ABOVE FORGET.

hmm....

But I want a reason to play
    A reason to do an event.

Events need "Goals" they need an "Objective"

and overall they need an "Ending"
    Cuz on rk1 events people just like wait till everyone is gone, and this time it was the clanners who when the omni left clamied it and said they won, nobody knows who did.

But good ideas people.
    ^_^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12