Thread: Questionable Desperation

Questionable Desperation

(( This is a story that should have been posted after the NLF protest...but alias it seems the great enemy called RL got in the way. Nevertheless here it is. It introduces a new character. If you keep watch around the grid, you will see this character eventually.

This is broken into parts. So more to come! ))

Questionable Desperation

An uneasy silence has befallen over the Omni-Mining Headquarters after the recent Nanomage Liberation Front’s violent protest. Extra guards have been positioned everywhere to kept watch over any little thing that happens. Security is very tight on the Director’s floor of the headquarters. But tight security does not stop business.

When ever one visits the Director’s floor, one immediately notices the floors main secretary desk. It is a large and marble white circular desk. It is in the middle of the lobby with a lone secretary. She is dirty blond and has brown eyes. She has a serious yet ditzy looking face. The uniform she is wearing is a grey Omni-Tek suit that matches the color of the desk. She sat swiveling in her chair watching the Omni-Tek Press Corp channel on a small personal digital television that is on the desk. She is watching a news show which had a few people discussing the new Council of Truth. The desk was very neat and in order, with piles of papers in one section, office supplies in another. There are also several screens showing views of security cameras.

The rest of the lobby was quite simple for a corporate floor. The lobby is a large circle. In front of the secretary’s view there is a hall of elevators and a stair access. On her left and right there is a hall of offices and storages. Behind her there is a hall that contained the offices of the Directors. The floor is a black mirror composed of black and grey marble that is overly shined. The walls extended far up to a glass ceiling that gave a lovely view of the sky. In the middle space between the desk and the walls sat a few black and white marble pillars. They each held flags of Omni-Tek in blue. To complete the look a bluish white light illuminated all.

A guard stood on each side of the hallway entrances. They appeared mostly bored out of their minds yet maintained their position. The secretary, still swiveling, reached for a nail file. She searched around, but something caught her eye. In front of the desk some type of object emerged. It started to fade in. A blurry, unorganized mess of particles came forth in some short of sinister cloud. The small particles buzzed like bees around a central point creating a dark shape. The amount of particles increased as the cloud became more organized. Near the top of this mysterious cloud emerged a face. Two dark grey eyes and a mouth appeared, followed by a nose. The particles took shape in a form of a man. The secretary screamed at the sight of the eyes, which prompted the almost asleep guards to jump and swing their guns I all directions.

A sinister laugh emerged out of the chaotic cloud. A man now stood in place of the dark particles. The guards, ready to fire, looked at this man with wonder. He is wearing a black, shine less leather cloak complete with a black hood that covered his oval head. The leather appeared to be an absence of light; pulling and eating all light around him. In the opening of this dark abyss a grey, sinister face sat staring at the secretary. The eyes are in dark, deep sockets. The nose is pointy and straight. The grayish skin seemed old and battle worn. The dry lips showed a slight pink. The lips moved slowly and opened his mouth.

A dark, rough voice crept out of his mouth. “Did I…scare you miss?” He questioned with a grin.
    She sat in disbelief and shock of this dark man who appeared before her. The secretary’s eyes are large and wide, as if ready to run from unexpected doom.
    The dark man stood staring for a moment then spoke with his chilling voice, “My presence was requested. I am hear to speak with Director Moscardelli.”
    The secretary then realized her speechless state and replied, “Oh….oh, ummm…” Not that charming of a reply but she looked to her computer to see the meeting schedules. “Are you Mr….Black?”
    “Yes, yes that is me.” Black said.
    “Yes the Director is expecting you now. Just go down the hall behind me to the last office on the right.”

Mr. Black nodded slowly and said with another grin, “Thank you.” He began to move slowly towards the hallway of the Directors Offices. He seems to almost float over the floor. The feet of this dark phantom did not make a sound. The silence is unnatural, as if sound flees his presence. The guards and the secretary watch every move he made. Mr. Black silently and slowly walked past the many offices of the other Directors. Mr. Black walked straight without any emotion down the hall towards the office of Director Moscardelli. Black’s cloak floated slightly off the ground. Each curve of the fabric rolled up and down as a dark sea of waves.

Black’s silent, lightless body soon reached his destination. The door opened to another small lobby complete with a guard and a secretary. Both of them looked at Mr. Black with a slight wonder. “You must be Mr. Black. Good…the Director is expecting you.” said the secretary. The guard opened the door and let Mr. Black in. He swiftly moved through the door to the office of Director Moscardelli.

( Humm, who is this Mr. Black? Where does he come from? Why does he get sadist pleasure from taunting a simple minded secretary!!! Is he a friend or foe!)

STAY TUNED
    Guttus the blade

"If it can bleed, it can die"

The door shut behind him. Director Moscardelli’s personnel droid stood staring at him. Mr. Black looked at the droid and gave it a slight nod. The droid returned with an attempted nod and kept its robotic eyes on him.

Director Moscardelli’s office is not the best office in the headquarters, but surely not the worst. The floor is the same overly shined black marble. The walls are a clam, clean grey. The office illuminated by a cool blue, similar to the blue light emitted by notum. Straight and far down on the other end of the office, a large window brought in beautiful sunlight. The vibrant rays shine endlessly around the room. The ceiling is smooth and grey complete with several blue and white light fixtures.

On the left side of Mr. Black several computer systems and a few small grey desks occupied the area. The desks are arranged to make a large E shape. On the main wall behind the E grouped desks, four large and flat screens hovered. The two inner screens are displaying a map of the terraformed regions of Rubi-Ka. The left one is showing real time information of all the Omni-Mining facilities on the planet. While the one on the right displayed information about all private mining tower bases. The outer left screen displayed all communication channels of Omni-Mining. The other screen on the outer right side had several things displayed on it. One of the things displayed looked like a piece of notum with several boxes of information surrounding it. Three of the desks were occupied with droids. They are working endlessly with out question reading data, compiling data, scanning data, filing reports and whatever else they were doing. Many computer screens accompany the droids. The screens create quite a distinction of light around these busy desks.

On the right of Mr. Black a more comfortable setting is in place. A perfectly white couch and chair accompanied the right wall. The furniture made an L shape. In front of the couch a large, sleek glass table stood. On top of the glass table is a large piece of notum. The blue stone gave off blue waves of light. The light glowed softly as ripples on a clam lake. Wave after wave of calm blue light illuminated the table. As a lake itself, the floor reflected this scene. Several plants are placed around the couch and chair.

Mr. Black looked forward, far down on the other end of the office is the controller of this domain. She motioned him to come forward. Mr. Black began to move silently towards the sunlight. In front of the large window is a black desk. It is large with curved ends. The desk is as overly shined as the floor. The desk has a computer screen with several other little gadgets of various sizes and uses on top of it. The top of this desk is neatly organized; everything had it place and position. The left side of the desk had a black suitcase laying on it. The suitcase has the Omni-Mining logo on it. The right side had a few neat piles of paper and e-paper.

Director Moscardelli stood and moved in front of the desk as Mr. Black came near. “Greetings once again Mr. Vicesin,” she said as she stuck out her hand for a hand shake.
    “Ah! Hello again my dear Director.” Vicesin said. He moved to shake Director Moscardelli’s hand but instead he raised it to his mouth and kissed the hand. “Lovely and beautiful as always Director.”
    The Director smiled slightly, “Please have a seat Mr. Vicesin. There is much to discuss.”

Vicesin nodded slowly and sat down on a chair in front of Director Moscardelli’s desk. The Director walked behind her desk and sat down in a large black chair. Moscardelli begins to access some files on the computer screen that is on the desk.

“Lovely weather we are having today.” She said.
    “It is too bright.” Vicesin said in an annoyed tone.
    “Oh please, it is good to get some sun once and a while.”
    “For most….how is that clan scientist doing?” Vicesin questioned.
    “Dr. Verson? Very well actually. He has adapted to the life of an Omni-Tek scientist well. He is pulling off some amazing breakthroughs. I am very happy we have him.” Moscardelli said as she opened a few more files. “Alright let us get down to business.”
    “Why have I been summoned?” Vicesin said in an eager tone.
    “I am sure you are aware of the recent events on Rubi-Ka. The new Council of Truth and uprisings by the militant Nanomage Liberation Front are just some of recent happenings. Also some secretive events have happened. Certain documents have been stolen and information has been leaked. All this has my attention. I and the rest of my department are watching things closely. We need to make sure the mines are untouched and the notum shipped. But most of all, we must make sure the research being done in project Infinite Circle continues without interruptions. Things are now getting dangerous. I need more skilled personnel to help keep things in line.”
    “This is where I come in?” Vicesin questioned.
    “Yes. You have proven yourself one of the most skillful agents I know. You know how to hide yourself from the public. Not to mention you know how to use our technology…By the way I seen what you did to that secretary. That was not very kind of you.”
    Vicesin let out a cold hearted laugh, “They were asleep anyway. How else to test your security by…random events?”

Director Moscardelli paused and gave Vicesin a look. She was either trying to conceal a smile or annoyance.

“I hardly asked for your help before. But now the need for your expertise is increasing.” Moscardelli said as she looked down.
    “I am always pleased to work for you Director. My other…employers are never as lovely. So you want me to put order to chaos…or chaos to order” Vicesin said as he grinned.
    “I am glade you are eager to help Mr. Vicesin. I have a large task for you.”
    “Task?” Vicesin questioned.
    “The Nanomage Liberation Front conducted a violent protest a few weeks ago right in front of this building. They wanted to blow it up...”
    “You should have killed them right there and be done with it.” Vicesin said in a dark tone.
    “The situation is difficult Mr. Vicesin. I can not order such a thing. Instead a very risky tradeoff was done. I gave them their “queen” as an exchange. It is not something I am very proud of. Now they have been quiet ever since that awful day. This is starting to get me worried. I am wondering what they are planning. From my experience, we need to get rid or at least silence their leadership. The Nanomage Liberation Front is just a bunch of followers. If we can stop the militant leaders, we can stop the attacks.”
    Vicesin nod slowly, “About time we took some action. Do I have someone to go after?”

Director Moscardelli made the computer screen display a portrait, “Your target will be Lady Mischler, also known as Queen Fleshreaper. The founder and leader of the Nanomage Liberation Front”
    Vicesin sat up in his chair. Just as a dark grey cloud in the sunlight, his dark grey eyes light up. A sinister grin emerges. He licked his slight pink lips at the thought. “Assination?” he questioned in a dark voice full of temtation.

Moscardelli looked at Vicesin with slightly narrow eyes, “No.” The light in Vicesin’s eyes vanished and his grin returned to its former emotionless state.
    “An assignation of Lady Mischler will only lead to more violence. She could become a martyr. I rather not order such an act. There are other ways to stop the NLF then assignation.” Moscardelli said.
    “But it is a sure way.” Vicesin said with a grin.
    “Perhaps, but not all easy ways are the best ways Mr. Vicesin.” The Director paused for a moment after she spoke.
    “Ironically, Lady Mischler is giving us certain advantages. She has made the NLF unstable. This could explain their current silence, but I can not be sure. Yet most importantly, she can be our source of information.”
    A state of slight confusion came over Vicesin, “Is she a clone….or a robot that causes mass annoyance manufactured by RUR?”
    “Oh heavens no. She is the same Lady Mischler as she ever was. She will be our source of information indirectly if you do your task correctly.”
    Vicesin starts to lean forward in the chair, “So what do I do with her Director?”
    “Your task is to follow and watch her closely. I need every little bit of information about her. Where she eats, sleeps, talks, walks, fights. Who she speaks too, who are her enemies and allies. Who in the NLF follow her and who does not. Weaknesses, strengths, addictions, fears…Everything, do you understand Mr. Vicesin?”
    Vicesin nods, “Yes Director.”
    “By finding out everything about her life, we will find a lot about the NLF. Once you get all this information, a more interesting task is to be done. The NLF are tricky and can strike at any time. We must have leverage on them. If they attack us again we will need to have a quick way to strike back. An interesting way we have come up with is traps.”
    “Traps?”
    Moscardelli nods, “Why yes traps. This is the true reason for getting all the information about Mischler. We need a way to counter attack them indirectly. For instance, you place a trap where several important NLF members sleep. Then one day they decide to strike a mining facility. That night while they party, you set off the trap sending a message to them that if the attacks continue, attacks on their homes and people will continue.”
    Vicesin “I like the idea Director, get them while they sleep.”
    “Yes that is the point. I and my superiors have had it with them. It is time we go on the offense the best way we know how; an unseen offense.”
    “My specialty.” Vicesin said with an eager tone.
    “These are desperate times Mr. Vicesin. It is becoming apparent that it is not just the NLF anymore we have to worry about. The clans are starting to affect my dealings and it is not making many happy. A group known as ‘Assembly’ has done some recent actions against us. Right after the bomb attack by the NLF, Assembly hacked into Omni-Admin’s computer systems and gained a copy of my six month report about Infinite Circle. Reluctantly personnel in Infinite Circle were able to stop Assembly from decoding most of the report. But recently Assembly has stolen one of our prototypes. They are becoming a new threat to Infinite Circle as a whole and most be taken care of.”
    “Actions against the beasts? I like the sound of this.” Vicesin said.
    “The Council of Truth has also been a new threat looming on the horizon. If they unify completely it will be not good for Omni-Tek Rubi-Ka. If they do, I know they will come after Infinite Circle’s research. This can not happen. We must stop this horrific idea before is comes to pass.”
    Vicesin nods, “My other superiors are saying the same about the Council.”
    “Thus your secondary targets are Assembly and anyone notable in the Council of Truth. But mainly concentrate on the NLF and Assembly. The Council can be dealt with by others.”
    Vicesin thought for a moment, “I do the same with Assembly, set up traps?”
    “If it is needed yes. I have some other contacts to get information about Assembly. Thus you do not need to worry about information gathering on them. Keep your concentration on the NLF. I will contact you if anything dire needs to be done about Assembly.”
    “Of course Director. If I may ask, what kind of traps do you have in mind?”
    “A favorite of yours.”

The Director reaches into her desk and pulls out a small metal container. She places one of her fingers on the latch. The latch unlocked and the container opened fully. The inside of the container has soft black foam all around. In the middle of the inside bottom half, two small indents in the foam lay. Inside each indent is a small circular silver disk. The disks seem to be a center meter thick and about four center meters in diameter. The disks have a perfectly shined silver surface with out any imperfections.

Vicesin’s spirit lifted as if he was on some type of drug. His eyes grew wide and stared at the small disks. A sinister grin overtook his emotionless face and the rush of blood filled his lips, “This…this is for me?”
    “I thought you would like some. Now you can see how serious this matter is Mr. Vicesin. On the agreement of many I present these disks for you.”
    “I only get two Director? I know we have a few more at least. Can I get some more…for ‘just in case’ circumstances?”
    “No Mr. Vicesin two is enough. We can not have anyone running around with a lot of these.”
    “But I can only set up two traps then.” Vicesin said in an annoyed tone.
    “Then two traps it is. Let us hope you get the right information.” Said the Director and stared at Mr. Vicesin. “Both of these have a tracking system. I can find out where these are at any time, in case you use them for a different purpose.”
    “I only follow your word Director.” Said Vicesin in a hypocritical way.
    “We shall see.” She paused. “I know you are trained in creating other types of traps and accidents. You really do not need these disks. We are giving them to you as a temporary gift.”
    “I am honored.”
    “I am pleased that you are Mr. Vicesin. Now, these disks are not self charging. Meaning once you use them, the chemicals will be used up. Thus these disks can only be used once, unless recharged. You will need to return to the exportation base for recharging.”
    Vicesin grumbles, “Alright.”
    “Very good, I have told you all you need to know. Any more information will be sent to your NCU-Com. Now remember we are watching you at all times. This is not a task for fun, but of serious intentions. We will know where you and your devices will be at all times. If something happens that we did not order, we will know if you did it or not.”
    “I would never do any wrongdoings.” Vicesin said.
    The Director nods slowly, “Our meeting is finished then, Mr. Vicesin.”
    “I am eager to start helping Director. The ones who give you stress will no longer.” Vicesin stood up. “I will not fail…so all can see a smile on your face again.” Vicesin gave a bow. He slowly picked up the container with the mysterious disks. He cradled in under his arm. He began to move towards the door.
    “Oh, Mr. Vicesin.” Moscardelli said quickly. Vicesin spun around to look at the Director. “Try not to scare the secretary this time.”
    “Of course.” Vicesin said with a grin. He then walked out.

Director Moscardelli sat staring at the door for a moment. She moved her view towards the ninjadroid. “I hope this was not a mistake ….Ridiculous times these are.” Her head lowered and looked towards the briefcase on the desk. She opened the briefcase and took out a pistol. The pistol appears to be hardly used. “Looks like I must start my training with weapons again. During these times, I must relay on more then a ninjadroid and nanoprograms for defense.” She gave a sigh and placed the gun back into the briefcase.

During the night, an unexpected message is sent too many grid sites from a figure of sinister darkness that has a new mission to fulfill…

The First of Many

The suns are drifting farther down in Clon****, night time is near. Director Moscardelli stands by her office window, peering down to the pavement below. Several workers are cleaning up after the assault from the Nanomage Liberation Front. She stood with a growing anger for the past week’s events.

Things are growing difficult. She thought.

She turned around and sat in the chair. She started going through some menus on her computer. I am left with no choice at the moment. She opened a communications channel. A dark figure appeared on the screen.

“Good evening Mr. Vicesin.”
    “Hello…”
    “Some dire events have happened.”
    “I know Director.”
    “I have something for you to do Mr. Vicesin.”

The Nanomage Liberation Front is no simple organization that you can decapitate the leadership from. Where one falls another will rise for we are the rightious, our members are strong of heart, and we will never give up. It is our survival at stake, nothing will stop us.
    Aazamon General of the Nanomage Liberation Front

28973 The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

The Nanomage Liberation Front