Thread: Maximum Range: What about pets?

Maximum Range: What about pets?

I am referring to this article by Jim Salabim on the 40m range caps on Weapons and Nanos.
    http://community.anarchy-online.com/...articles/1580L

What about pets? You can still stand 40m away from a mob, command your pet to attack, then run in the opposite direction moving out of the monsters 40m range.

A good solution might be to not award xp for killing mobs out of it's agro range.
    Last edited by Mindswayer; Dec 28th, 2001 at 15:40:08.

Re: Maximum Range: What about pets?

Originally posted by EvilGlitch
    I am referring to this article by Jim Salabim on the 40m range caps on Weapons and Nanos.
    http://community.anarchy-online.com/...articles/1580L

What about pets? You can still stand 40m away from a mob, command your pet to attack, then run in the opposite direction moving out of the monsters 40m range.
    Sure you can do that, and you can not get xp for them killing it. Pet's turn into regular mobs whenever you aren't around.

Not to mention the fact that unless you have slayerbot, just about any mob will kill a pet without assistance from it's master.

Doesn't really matter if your pet dies, you just send another one in run away, repeat.

I haven't been denied Xp when doing this, but that may be due to the fact that I return within range before the MOB dies.

A good solution might be to not award xp for killing mobs out of it's agro range.
    I've had pets stop attacking if I got out of range.
    I've had pets stop responding when I have gotten out of range.
    I've not gotten XP when my pet killed a mob as I was running towards the mission exit.

Since a mob is still aggro (and thus doing damage) the pet, there really should be no change.

Unfortunatey, if you put a 40m cap on XP, Nanotechs would be the most adversely affected. Every single NT I know likes to stand at max distance and nuke... If a mob moves 1m away from the NT and the rest of the group kills it, there will be one pissed off player.

It would also adversely affect doctors and other professions who use DOTs.

Few pet users use the tactic you posted.
    It's inefficient, slow and more risky than using the normal tactics.

Mobs die faster when the petcaster is nuking and/or debuffing.
    Mobs die faster when the petcaster is shooting or whacking it.
    When you are in 40m range you can more easily monitor the mobs health and the damage your pet is inflicting.
    Last edited by Miir; Dec 28th, 2001 at 16:08:38.