Thread: Rubi-Kan myths and legends

Rubi-Kan myths and legends

ooc - We are surrounded by tall tale, myths and legends in our every day lives. For example Paul Bunyan, King Arthur etc. I think it might be interesting to create some of our own for well known places on Rubi-Ka. So here is one I wrote about Trinity Face on the east bank of the river Stret.

The twin suns sank lower towards the horizon. Major McCovery added more wood to the fire and turned to his companions.

"let me tell you a story to take your minds off the wolves.....

Trinity was the smartest woman on the east bank of the Stret. Everyone for miles around knew Trinity and loved to tell and retell tales of her amazing feats. Now one day Trinity went to visit Jocaster. Jocaster had been having big problems with leets stealing his crops. The leets were stealing so much of Jocaster’s crops that the village would go hungry that winter unless something was done to stop them. Jocaster explained his problem. That was all it took. Right away, Trinity vowed to prevent the leets stealing the crops. She knew leets were scared of loud noises so she took her drum and made noises around the farms until the leets went away. The leets were so scared of Trinity that the mere sight of her caused them to run away. However, Trinity could not beat her drum every day, she had to find another way to keep the leets away. Thinking about this problem she fell asleep on the bank of the Stret, she thought so hard her thoughts entered the ground and when she awoke the land had formed Trinity Face. And to this day there are no leets on Trinity Face."
    Major Eldridge Naxilite McCovery
    Adventurer, level 149
    Ranger and Explorer and of the Shadowlands
    Member of the Independent Rubi-Kans
    http://aoir.3.forumer.com/

Thumbs up Nice

Thats one of the things I love about AO,

The small group of creative players that also are willing to take initiative!
    Gorgetha
    Priestess of the Unspeakable
    Omni Meta-physicist (RK1 Atlantean)

CarLBanks stands up from campfire and heads out to Trinity's Face

That was a great story.
    Characters on Atlantean
    Main Character: Ardoyt Former Rubi-Ka Citizen and Former Omni-Admin Employee
    Characters on Rimor
    Deleted
    Anarchy Online Related Stuff
    Former AO Stratics News and "The Community Says" Reporter
    The Death of Ardoyt

[OOC] This tale is based on the legend of Alderly Edge. Alderly Edge is a national park near my hometown and is said to be one of the many burial places of King Arthur and his warriors. I have adapted the legend for Rubi-Ka and written it as a Clan tale. [/OOC]

Dr Neblett stands and turns so his back is to the campfire. “Let me tell you a clan story, a story that has been handed down the generations and is as old, or perhaps older, than the clans themselves…

A merchant was making his way from Borealis to Athen to sell his gofle. He was hopeful of a good price for the beast because it was the finest his gofle farm had produced – pure milk white, strong and loyal. As he was passing through the Northern Mountain Range near Last Ditch a strange old man with a long beard and strange clothes stopped him.

The old man greeted him and offered to buy the gofle there and then. The merchant refused thinking he would get a better price at the market in Athen. The old man smiled and said “Do as you please, no one will buy your gofle. This evening when you are heading home I will be here and will buy the gofle from you.”

The merchant laughed and went on his way. At the market the gofle was much admired, but no one would buy the fine creature. The merchant had to turn around and go home with the gofle. As he was returning through the Northen Mountain Range the old man reappeared. "Follow me," said the old man and led the farmer to a great rock.

Just as the merchant was wondering where he was being taken, the old man touched the rock with his staff and two large notum-threaded gates appeared. With a loud crash the gates opened, the gofle reared at the sound and sent the merchant tumbling on to the ground. "Don't be afraid," said the old man and led the merchant and gofle into the cave beyond the gates.

Inside the cave, the merchant looked from side to side. All around lay sleeping warriors and their gofles. All the gofles were milk white. On and on the old man led the farmer through countless caverns all filled with sleeping men and gofles - a huge army sleeping and waiting to rise. In the innermost cave the old man stopped and pointed at a huge pile of gold and jewels, telling the merchant to take his payment for the gofle. The old man explained that one day when The Clans were in great danger the army would wake and ride out onto the plain to save The Clans. One soldier didn't have a gofle, which is why the old man wanted the merchant’s.

The merchant grabbed some gold, stuffed it into his pocket and staggered out of the cave. The great doors clanged behind him. The merchant ran on. When he had gone a little distance he turned around, but all he saw was the rock. No one has found the door since.”

There is a picture of armed troops mounted on gofles that can be bought on Rubi-Ka. Perhaps they are the warriors mentioned in this tale?
    Last edited by Dr Tiny; Jul 6th, 2003 at 15:44:13.
    Omni-Pol intelligence report for Peregrinus Praecautus
    Known applicant of Third Faction
    Warning! Record is being accessed by an external source of unknown origin.
    Recovering file

be on your guard pilgrim
    File ends

Settling down in the hut, around the stove. The only light being provided by the stove as it flickered giving an eerie light to the room ((if you know the IR hut you know how dark and dingy it is))….

“Some might call this is legend, a myth, whatever…I’ll let you decide. It’s the story of a mythical creature that has spanned the history of us, and our forefathers through countless generations….but some believe they’ve meet it here on Rubi-ka also. Our story begins in Broken Shores”…

There’s a groan in the crowd about missions in Hope, “shattup”.

“Right. Broken Shores is more than an town with some weird religious Clanners, its also a large expanse of desert, mining areas and some of the most beautiful scenery on our fair planet. And its not in Home where we begin this, but out in the wilds near a small trade encampment far away from the busy streets of Home, and just north of a small oasis in the desert and near some plentiful mining areas for the merchants to deal with.

These were the days before the corporation managed to work out how to wire up the weather control system. And in these days huge sand storms could blow across the outer areas of Rubi-ka blocking out the Suns for days, even weeks on end. And so it is when we join our group of merchants. The winds had been ferocious for weeks now and the power in the solar batteries were now almost totally depleted. And so they decided something must be done. Someone would have to go out and journey to the mines and see if they could borrow, or trade for a power source before they all froze to death.

A young trader donned his suit and set out on the trek to find the badly needed power. But as the day went on, and as the wind fought him every step of the way he made his way to a strange oasis in the desert which was oddly well lit, thriving with life and water. Even the sand storms seemed to be going around the place as if it was protected by something….or someone. Our young traveller bends down and takes a quick drink from the oasis and refreshes himself. He feels something in the air….an immense static charge, heat, and even the sound of crackling like a fire. He swings around in shock horror and grabs his shotgun waving it in no real direction at all. A huge creature slowly approached him like nothing else he had ever seen. Standing, or actually hovering as it approached with gigantic wings spread wide, and its entire body crackling with fire. He had heard legends from his grandparents, and had seen holovids when he had got a chance to visit the electro-comic stores in Omni Entertainment wish tales of such creatures. Could this really be a Phoenix? Or was it the heat and his journey that had frazzled his brain?

Stuttering he attempted to speak to the creature. Attempting to say hello to it. His hands holding his shotgun still jittering in fear as the creature came closer, now only about 15m away yet he could still feel the heat from its flames. The creature looked at the trader from side to side as if trying to decide something. It then spoke in a hissing, crackling kind of way, “Whaaat are thou doing hereee?”

The young trader stuttered with his reply, “I I I ca came fo help”.

The Phoenix looked at him once more, as if waying up its odds asked again in its crackling voice what was it he needed. Not sure if the Phoenix could help the young trader asked in his stutters of fear if he could provide the encampment with energy or light to see them through the bad storms. The Phoenix again looking like it was waying its odds and agreed with the trader. The trader asked if the Phoenix wanted notum or gold or something in return, but the Phoenix just said, “yeess, sooomethingg”.

At the encampment the Phoenix provided energy to the solar batteries by merely flying around the camp, building up a huge static shield around the camp deflecting the sand storm and allowing the people out for the first time in weeks. The elders of the camp came out and thanked the Phoenix, and the young trader who brought the Phoenix to assist them. They asked the young trader what it was that the Phoenix wanted as payment, and he replied it was notum….or so he thought from his discussion. The Phoenix’ wings extended and it spoke out in its crackling voice, “Noooo, agreeeed tooo soooomethingg”.

“Something?” all the merchants ears picked up….and the young trader went “oops”.

“Yeeess sooomethingg” the Phoenix crackled, and extended its wings further in a fiery blaze lighting up the sky. The notum didn’t interest the Phoenix. Its prize was the life force of the people in the encampment. And it got its payment…consuming all in the area.

The Phoenix? The fire which lives in the form of a bird? Well who knows if its still out there. It might be, it might not. It might even be near another encampment, town or somewhere now…..but this is only a tale from legend isn’t it?

Is there a moral to this story? Maybe its don’t ask for things if the price of them is too high….well that or don’t trust big fiery birds with noob traders.”

Puts down his history cell from his NCU with a picture of a strange fiery bird on it from a grid news feed…
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Some of you may have heard this story before, I learned it from a old trader friend of mine...he'd been around since a long time before the ceasfire...so I guess he would know 'bout this kind of thing...

My story is about a place you all know...

'The Reet Retreat'. Most people didn't even remember the origin of the name.

...it dates from the early days of the clan's rebellion against Omni.

The Reet was one of the first forms of life to be created on Rubi-Ka. They flourished, multiplied to the point of becoming a nuisance. But when ordinances were passed to encourage their hunting the would-be bounty hunters met a nasty surprise... they would sight a single reet and start combat, the reet would start to flee and inevitably the hunter would pursue. But the reet always fled to its nest...and reets live in colonies.

Later in the rebellion the clans imitated the reets and led many an omni parole into an ambush. The phrase 'Reets Retreat came to mean being let into a nest of trouble...
    I think it describes this neutral club rather well...it seems safe enough on the surface,but a deadly political game was always being played here...or do you think those Omni dancing in the next room are just here to have fun...

Of course, we're just here ta have fun... whatcha think, hm? We ain't monsters. We like dancin' and partyin' and' drink an' have fun like every prople, eh.

Demenzia smirks

((Keep it coming people... these are very nice stories

*coughs* We need a gritche out there... we have nice labyrinths in Broken Shores, after all... mwaha))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --